3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Headliner Fun - I thought it could never happen to me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Headliner Fun - I thought it could never happen to me!

Well it finally happened, after 7K miles the headliner came unstuck. I was ready to epoxy the thing back on, but my dealer assured me they had an Acura approved fix.
Well, the Acura approved fix lasted 1 hour and 29 minutes after I left the service dept.
Turns out, they just put new velcro stick tape back on the 5 sections and stuck it back on. So after a few bumps, it just came down again.
Well that night, I mixed up a batch of epoxy, that was so strong it burned a hole in two hard plastic containers before I was able to smear it on the velcro squares.
24 hours later, when I pull on the headliner, I can practically see me pulling the headliner down from outside the car it's so strong....so I figure, the whole roof will cave in on me before the headliner comes off again......but we'll see
Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Team NightHawk VP

haha, u better hope the epoxy doesnt eat through the roof lol

in all seriousness though, if you leave the car in the sun all the time it might come undone
Old 09-29-2004, 07:24 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomwarn
Well it finally happened, after 7K miles the headliner came unstuck. I was ready to epoxy the thing back on, but my dealer assured me they had an Acura approved fix.
Well, the Acura approved fix lasted 1 hour and 29 minutes after I left the service dept.
Turns out, they just put new velcro stick tape back on the 5 sections and stuck it back on. So after a few bumps, it just came down again.
Well that night, I mixed up a batch of epoxy, that was so strong it burned a hole in two hard plastic containers before I was able to smear it on the velcro squares.
24 hours later, when I pull on the headliner, I can practically see me pulling the headliner down from outside the car it's so strong....so I figure, the whole roof will cave in on me before the headliner comes off again......but we'll see
Why are you even bothering?

I'd be back at the dealer faster than you could say "Velcro".
Old 09-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Intermediate

Going back to the dealer?????? N-O-T!!!!

What good would that do??? We already know that their approved fix is nothing more than reapplying the same velcro/epoxy that failed in the first place. Another person on this board took that advice (going back to the dealer), and ended up without his car for 24hours and the headliner failed just the same the very next day. Do what everyone else has for the same problem, use a super epoxy that dried hard, not rubbery - then wait 24-48 hours before reattaching the velcro/headliner to it. Mine has lasted for 5 months and still going strong. Best part is, the car was in MY garage during the fix, not THEIRS.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though the velcro may seem cheap its the easiest way for the liner to be removable. If clips were used those would unglue too. With the advent of headliner airbags these minor annoyances will be around till they figure out a foolproof system to keep the thing in place but still allow the fireworks to deploy.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Advanced

new Acura Fix for Headlinder

FYI: Acura has a new fix that requires removal of complete headliner and installing some kind of bracket. Takes about a day to fix.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Team Anthracite Member

they should have just designed the upper metal bracket with the same cutouts/clip holders as the headliner itself. This would have prevented the whole headliner mess.

No worries here....My magnets are still doing their thing
Old 09-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Racer

My dealer had a quick effective fix... they put a spacer and then glue. The headliner had too much tension and the spacer provides a little relief. Also, to avoid the question... no there is no gap between the sunroof and the headliner.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Team Anthracite Member

what is the spacer made of? Plastic?

Originally Posted by captain
My dealer had a quick effective fix... they put a spacer and then glue. The headliner had too much tension and the spacer provides a little relief. Also, to avoid the question... no there is no gap between the sunroof and the headliner.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Instructor

My Headliner seems like there is space between the roof and the headlinerf...but I am not sure if it has come off...when you'lls comes off, does it like completely fall off or there is alot more space between it and the roof or how do you know? Is it very obvious??? Any Pics of it coming off would be appreciated...

I JUST want to make sure before I take it to the dealership....

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Advanced

I'm actually curious about this as well. Can someone please answer narmeens question? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:46 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thomwarn

What's your vin#? my is 01532X
Old 09-29-2004, 07:24 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Can someone provide the official TSB (or TSB number) for the fix?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by narmeen
My Headliner seems like there is space between the roof and the headlinerf...but I am not sure if it has come off...when you'lls comes off, does it like completely fall off or there is alot more space between it and the roof or how do you know? Is it very obvious??? Any Pics of it coming off would be appreciated...

I JUST want to make sure before I take it to the dealership....

Thanks.
It doesn't completely come off. The headliner is a plastic shell with material on the side you see, so it is not like the old cars with fabric glued directly to the sheet metal, which fell on your head when it came loose.

The easiest way to check this out is to open the moonroof completely, then look into the opening. There are three sets of velcro holding the headliner to a metal bar running across the roof from door to door.

What usually happens is that the top piece of velcro will come loose from the metal bar, allowing the headliner to sag. It is not a big gap, but enough to see if you are looking for it, and some are worse than others, depending on how many pieces of velcro came loose.

When all the pieces of velcro are stuck to the metal bar, you will not see any space between the headliner and the bar and you will not see the white part of the velcro, which is the glue, which has separated from the metal bar.