3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moon roof rattle (not the same old thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moon roof rattle (not the same old thread)

I know the moon roof deflector rattle has been discussed at great length, but the problem I have is when the glass is completely closed and I move the inside portion back, then I hear a rattle.

It is like that cloth covered piece must be chattering up and down. It is a free floating piece so maybe the free movement means that it has to be free to move up and down. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any fixes? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the exact same rattle. i didn't notice it at first, as i don't usually have the sunroof cover open, but now that some of the louder rattles were fixed by the dealer, it is quite noticeable.

i hope there's an easy fix...
Old 01-14-2004, 12:00 PM
SSH
Advanced

Same here. Only rattles when the cover is open.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:19 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yep, I think I just posted something about this earlier today. I have the same problem -- is this something that can be resolved with some felt underneath the metal thing as well?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Racer

orange - what dealer did you go to?
(i've got a rattle above my steering wheel/drivers dash and i'm wondering if my dealer will be able to fix it)
Old 01-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Moon roof rattle (not the same old thread)

Originally posted by orange-man
I know the moon roof deflector rattle has been discussed at great length, but the problem I have is when the glass is completely closed and I move the inside portion back, then I hear a rattle.

It is like that cloth covered piece must be chattering up and down. It is a free floating piece so maybe the free movement means that it has to be free to move up and down. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any fixes? Thanks in advance.

If you have your hand on that cover, will you still hear that rattle? Also, will that rattle disappear when you have your hand on that deflector or have your fingers above/under the deflector?

In my case, my rattle comes from the deflector frequently touching the metal beneath. If I move back that cover, the deflector has less support then vibrate. If I touch that deflector, the rattle is gone.

My stupid dealer cannot fix any rattle out of my car.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:46 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Re: Moon roof rattle (not the same old thread)

Originally posted by rets
If you have your hand on that cover, will you still hear that rattle? Also, will that rattle disappear when you have your hand on that deflector or have your fingers above/under the deflector?

In my case, my rattle comes from the deflector frequently touching the metal beneath. If I move back that cover, the deflector has less support then vibrate. If I touch that deflector, the rattle is gone.

My stupid dealer cannot fix any rattle out of my car.
Have you applied the felt tape to try to fix your rattle? (Sorry if you have and posted in another thread, I really can't remember)
Old 01-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
ALL Hondas/Acuras with a moonroof have had this issue. My '97 TL has it too.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Moon roof rattle (not the same old thread)

Originally posted by Lore
Have you applied the felt tape to try to fix your rattle? (Sorry if you have and posted in another thread, I really can't remember)

Sorry, I didn't do it yet. And, also wondering where I should put the felts on.

It seems only zeicht & bmw53003 did this so far. If possible, I really hope someone can post photo how to do it.

Also, I have rattle behind my glove box, and had no time to do it last weekend. But this has more details how to settle them down.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=68514
Old 01-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have this EXACT problem with my moonroof.
It's DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I've got a service appointment on Saturday to drive with a technican from the dealership and troubleshoot the problem ...

I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:37 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My next appointment won't be until next Wednesday because Oakland Acura's packed with customers. If these rattles keep coming up they're going to be seeing a lot of me. If I can take care of the moonroof rattle myself, that'll be one less problem to take care of. However, my rear deck rattle is just as annoying (and requires removal of the entire back area, probably!)
Old 01-14-2004, 03:43 PM
10th Gear

I really think this is the same rattle that rets is talking about. It only happens when the sunroof is closed, and I don't notice it much if the shade is closed. If the shade is open, however, it is really noticable. If I stick my fingers in the space between the headliner and the sunroof, and dampen the pop-up deflector, the noise stops. My shade is definitely not the culprit. Mine is in the shop right now for this, the memory seat problem, and a tire balance.

KV
Old 01-14-2004, 03:50 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Definitely let us know what sort of fix they apply for the moonroof rattle!

Originally posted by kvan
I really think this is the same rattle that rets is talking about. It only happens when the sunroof is closed, and I don't notice it much if the shade is closed. If the shade is open, however, it is really noticable. If I stick my fingers in the space between the headliner and the sunroof, and dampen the pop-up deflector, the noise stops. My shade is definitely not the culprit. Mine is in the shop right now for this, the memory seat problem, and a tire balance.

KV
Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 AM
Advanced

as for the moonroof rattle, it's kinda like a thin metal vibrating when you hit rough roads, it's heard best when closing the doors..... it's actually the wind deflector thats rattling and not the moonroof...at first i even thought it was the rear decklid but later i realized it was not, i knew when i pressed on the wind deflector between the glass and the headliner..the buzzing sound or rattle went away...
so what i did is put two single layered felt about 3.5" length each on both sides, beneath the wind deflector....this must be done while the moonroof is fully opened and the wind deflector is up...actually i didnt "stick on" the felts anymore the they can be put securely in the basin of the wind deflector...so now when you close the moonroof, the wind deflector is securely held in its position and thus eliminates the rattle
Old 01-15-2004, 12:24 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by zeicht
as for the moonroof rattle, it's kinda like a thin metal vibrating when you hit rough roads, it's heard best when closing the doors..... it's actually the wind deflector thats rattling and not the moonroof...at first i even thought it was the rear decklid but later i realized it was not, i knew when i pressed on the wind deflector between the glass and the headliner..the buzzing sound or rattle went away...
so what i did is put two single layered felt about 3.5" length each on both sides, beneath the wind deflector....this must be done while the moonroof is fully opened and the wind deflector is up...actually i didnt "stick on" the felts anymore the they can be put securely in the basin of the wind deflector...so now when you close the moonroof, the wind deflector is securely held in its position and thus eliminates the rattle
Do you ever worry about the felt flying away if the moonroof is open? what is the thickness of the felt you got?

The Concord Acura service department is SO stingy. I went by after work to ask for some felt tape for the moonroof and he gave me a tiny 1 x 2.5" strip and said that's all they could spare.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:48 AM
Advanced

i dont think the felt will be flown away if i had the moonroof opened...il give it a try soon...lousy weather these days...

i got a "medium-duty" felt from home depot...seems to work just fine...
Old 01-15-2004, 08:43 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy a roll of 1 inch wide Velcro strap/tape use the soft "fuzzy" side and stick it under the deflector (cut to fit). Run a piece the entire length of the deflector - try it first without sticking it down. If all rattles gone - make it permanent.

Smitty
Old 01-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Got my moonroof rattle fixed today. Turned out that one of three clips that secures the roof / headliner was not properly attached thus causing a "chattering" in the moonroof area when the car was driven over rough roads!

No felt was required for that one.

However, I can now hear the maplight / overhead console rattling. :-(
Old 03-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry

Originally posted by SSH
Same here. Only rattles when the cover is open.
Mine rattles all the time, as long as the glass is closed. You only hear it when the cover is open. It took me quite a while to figure out where this was coming from. I wonder how many other complaints about generic rattles can be traced to this problem.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
RavenHwk:

Was the missing clip in front of the moonroof or in back?
Old 03-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Chief TL Aviator

The unattached clip was on the back portion of the moonroof in the center.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by RavenHwk
Got my moonroof rattle fixed today. Turned out that one of three clips that secures the roof / headliner was not properly attached thus causing a "chattering" in the moonroof area when the car was driven over rough roads!

No felt was required for that one.

However, I can now hear the maplight / overhead console rattling. :-(
which maplight
the rear on or the front one?

i got something rattling near the rear maplight cant figure out what it is
but it sounds like the roof hitting against whatever is under it