Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moleskin Opinion From Tint Shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moleskin Opinion From Tint Shop

I am looking to get my 04 TL tinted within the next month and I found a reputable shop that will do it for a good price. When I asked about the moleskins, and if they would install it, they said to be honest, that it is an item that is not needed. And that the moleskin felt can make the scratch too if dirt gets stuck on them. He said he would gladly install them and charge extra but it really is not worth it for me. Any comments? Can I risk without the felt?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by coop1018
I am looking to get my 04 TL tinted within the next month and I found a reputable shop that will do it for a good price. When I asked about the moleskins, and if they would install it, they said to be honest, that it is an item that is not needed. And that the moleskin felt can make the scratch too if dirt gets stuck on them. He said he would gladly install them and charge extra but it really is not worth it for me. Any comments? Can I risk without the felt?
So far I have been lucky I owned one TL (04) for four months with the windows tinted and had no scratches without moleskin. I now have an 05 (traded the 04 2 months ago) without moleskin and so far no scratches. I know it is the middle of the winter but I am forced to roll down the windows at least twice per day to get in and out of my pay garage for work.

The tint shop I went to also felt it was unnecessary and guaranteed replacement if it does scratch so I decided to go with it...
Old 02-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coop1018
i have an 04 TL and i don't have moleskin...when i got it tinted, moleskin was never even thought about...i would personally suggest that you get it because if you're going to do it, then you might as well do it right...since i have scratches on my windows, i'm probably going to get the windows tinted again within the next year...or maybe when i have to go for my car inspection (i have front windows tinted so i will fail, so i might just take out my tints when i go and get it inspected and then after the inspection, get them tinted again lol)

but ya, you should really just get it done...it really doesn't cost much but it will be worth it in the long run...
Old 02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats moleskin?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Moleskin is a felt like material that is stuck on the plastic wiper between the inside of the glass and the door panel. It works very well to minimize scratching. Some people have not used the moleskin and have had no scratching, but the majority of the people that didn't install it wished they had.

If you get a lifetime warranty on your tint, you might consider not putting the moleskin on, but when you consider that you have to leave your car with the tint shop each time to get the tint replaced, it might be better to just go ahead and get it installed.

Do a search on "moleskin" and you will see tons of threads on this subject.

Click here for a good thread on moleskin.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm Baaack!

Probably no the best way to go, but if you can get the tinter to guarantee his tint against scratching (for life) then give it a shot w/out the moleskin.

If it doesn't scratch, no harm no foul.
If it does scratch, go back, he'll be wiser and you'll have new tint ... and another story for the board about how your tinter didn't know what he was talking about
Old 02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Is moleskin a new thing to tinting? Because I've never herd of it before. But I will keep it in mind when I get my car tinted. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Banned

The tint shop I used said it was optional, but that the use of moleskin/felt would be better, and we would guarantee the work against scratching if I paid for the felt.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by clay8898
Is moleskin a new thing to tinting? Because I've never herd of it before. But I will keep it in mind when I get my car tinted. Thanks.
The TL made moleskin famous. It is the way the car is designed. Dirt or sand will accumulate in the area between the inside of the glass and the plastic wipers, and when you roll the window up it will stay there, and when you roll it down it will get between the window and the wiper, and cause the scratching of the tint.

Iy doesn't happen to everyone because some people hardly ever roll down their window, and some people live in a super clean place where dirt and sand is not a problem, but for the great majority, it is a necessity.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Coop, if the installer says guarantee not to scratch and will replace at no cost go for it.

Originally Posted by Ron A
Moleskin is a felt like material that is stuck on the plastic wiper between the inside of the glass and the door panel. It works very well to minimize scratching. Some people have not used the moleskin and have had no scratching, but the majority of the people that didn't install it wished they had.

If you get a lifetime warranty on your tint, you might consider not putting the moleskin on, but when you consider that you have to leave your car with the tint shop each time to get the tint replaced, it might be better to just go ahead and get it installed.

Do a search on "moleskin" and you will see tons of threads on this subject.

Click here for a good thread on moleskin.
Ron, there used to be some pix on this thread showing the door panel and location of the clips and screws as well as the wiper. Was it loss during the site update or is it me?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Here’s the thread with the pictures in it.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:29 AM
Awesome to the Max

I didn't get moleskin...and I have no scratches..
Old 03-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

I sell the mole skin in my sig.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Love my TL

I recommend buying the moleskin from flnsx. It comes with easy to install instructions and will save you the headache if they ever do scratch.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I bought my TL last July. I live in Houston, so I always get my windows tinted. I had not heard of the scratching issue. Because of the heat in the summer, I frequently run all the windows down with the FOB while approaching the car. Guess what? My windows are badly scratched.

I talked to the service writer at my dealer about it. She says the problem is so bad that their tinter quit re-tinting windows, and she recommended calling Acura's 800 number and complaining (she said Acura is well aware of the problem and is "working on it"). Even her car has the problem.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered the moleskin from flnsx a couple days ago. I can't wait
Old 03-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I bought my TL last July. I live in Houston, so I always get my windows tinted. I had not heard of the scratching issue. Because of the heat in the summer, I frequently run all the windows down with the FOB while approaching the car. Guess what? My windows are badly scratched.

I talked to the service writer at my dealer about it. She says the problem is so bad that their tinter quit re-tinting windows, and she recommended calling Acura's 800 number and complaining (she said Acura is well aware of the problem and is "working on it"). Even her car has the problem.

Check out www.houstontint.com, they seem to have a fully covered warranty and actually cover the topic about Acura and Honda tinting problems. Plus, they have Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

Thanks guys! I have now replenished my stock and have kits ready to ship out.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:22 PM
My other car is a 737

Moleskin cost me a grand total of 10 extra bucks when I had my windows tinted here in the ATL...good tinters know about it...
Old 03-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Instructor

How 'bout the rear quarter windows? I have talked to two tinters and they say it's impossible to tint the whole window, cause of the trim. I have seen some pictures of cars on here with it done correctly.. what do you guys think? did you pay more for full tint?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
How much do people pay on average for a good Tint job ? something with a good ceramic tint (eg. Formula One) also does anyone know of good tint shops in the North Carolina region ?