Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moleskin....a LIE??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moleskin....a LIE??

i just called Tropic Windows in Union New Jersey to get a price quote on tinted windows for 5 windows which was $249 and i started to ask him questions about guarentees...he seemed like a decent guy to work with...and ive heard good things from tropics...a few of my friends went there and they offer guarentees against bubbling and peeling which is good but now scratching...so i asked about moleskin...and he replied "what the hell is that" and i explained to him its a piece of felt that they put inbetween the door trim to help prevent scratching and he called me a liar....wtf??? can someone please give me an answer to this? was i just stupid...or was the guy i talked to on the phone a complete idiot
Old 03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blitz, how long has this place been in the tint business? And how many TL's have they done? If he's done a few TL's, I'm sure he would be aware of the problem. I'm sure you've read a number of threads regarding tint scratching and the use of moleskin negates the problem. My reply would have been "Thank you for your time, but I'll take my business elsewhere." I would find another shop or maybe ask your dealer for his recommendation.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if he's willing to guarantee that the tint won't scratch, go for it. I think he'll soon realize what moleskin or felt is after you keep going back to get your tint replaced. Every place I called knew that moleskin or felt is necessary in order to guarantee that the tint won't scratch.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
if a tinter doesn't know about moleskin, he hasn't been in the business long enough, if he has been in the business long enough, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing
Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ya go some where else because this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. I did a lot of research on this because I was the first one to figure this problem out with the 04 Acura TL's.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65819
Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Licking Platters Clean

You know, I didn't get moleskin and mine has been just fine. My tinter was willing to guarantee no scratches so that's what's important.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A little back ground on tropic, the guy has been doing this for years...he is set in his ways....he can talk abrupt, but i think its out of his confidence in his work. i will tell you this, if you can find some where that does the moleskin....do it.

I like tropic alot, but not since the tl needed the whole moleskin deal. I do not have moleskin, i plan on gettin retinted with it in the spring
Old 03-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered the moleskin and waited (like an idiot) to put it on. Got 2 scratches and put it on and now the window rolls up and down better than before and no new scratches. Its definately for real ... Just DIY takes 5 min (if that) to take off each door panel! 4 Screws then u just carefully pull each clamp away from the door.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i just called Tropic Windows in Union New Jersey to get a price quote on tinted windows for 5 windows which was $249 and i started to ask him questions about guarentees...he seemed like a decent guy to work with...and ive heard good things from tropics...a few of my friends went there and they offer guarentees against bubbling and peeling which is good but now scratching...so i asked about moleskin...and he replied "what the hell is that" and i explained to him its a piece of felt that they put inbetween the door trim to help prevent scratching and he called me a liar....wtf??? can someone please give me an answer to this? was i just stupid...or was the guy i talked to on the phone a complete idiot
He called a potential customer a liar and you have to ask if he's an idiot? Take your business to someone that appreciates it.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

My tinter who i trust thinks the moleskin is a joke. He said he would install it but it still would scratch even with moleskin, if dirt gets down in the window. I did not go with the moleskin, and "knock on wood" no problems. Tinter said that product is an excuse for a company to come out with a product.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by coop1018
My tinter who i trust thinks the moleskin is a joke. He said he would install it but it still would scratch even with moleskin, if dirt gets down in the window. I did not go with the moleskin, and "knock on wood" no problems. Tinter said that product is an excuse for a company to come out with a product.
How long have you had the tint on?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Tropic's been open for at least 8 years...probably longer. I say 8 because that's the first time I went to them. Since then I've gone back with 2 other cars and never had ANY issues w/scratching or whatever. As your friends have said as well as many people who have posted on this website they do a great job.

Personally, I never heard of moleskin until I read about it on this website. I could be wrong and probably many will debate me, but I think it might be a sham. I've had 3 cars (including my TL) tinted by Tropic w/o moleskin obviously and never had scratches or any problems. I mean is the scratching thing a TL exclusive problem or something? If so, I've had my TL for 6 mos. and no scratches so someone explain. Based on some other threads I'm definetly not the only TL that Tropic has done and I haven't heard anything bad about them on this site....or at all for that matter. Check out their website I mean they've tinted some high end cars (and buildings!!) so if they haven't heard of moleskin, my thoughts are it's not needed.

http://www.tropictint.com/
Old 03-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I have the need for speed

Originally Posted by TLNJ
Tropic's been open for at least 8 years...probably longer. I say 8 because that's the first time I went to them. Since then I've gone back with 2 other cars and never had ANY issues w/scratching or whatever. As your friends have said as well as many people who have posted on this website they do a great job.

Personally, I never heard of moleskin until I read about it on this website. I could be wrong and probably many will debate me, but I think it might be a sham. I've had 3 cars (including my TL) tinted by Tropic w/o moleskin obviously and never had scratches or any problems. I mean is the scratching thing a TL exclusive problem or something? If so, I've had my TL for 6 mos. and no scratches so someone explain. Based on some other threads I'm definetly not the only TL that Tropic has done and I haven't heard anything bad about them on this site....or at all for that matter. Check out their website I mean they've tinted some high end cars (and buildings!!) so if they haven't heard of moleskin, my thoughts are it's not needed.

http://www.tropictint.com/

Alex (owner of Tropic) has been in Union at least 10 years. I think he used to work for Anthony of Custom Window tinting (of union too). They're both great tinters. They do excellent work, but I would check your car before you leave. My buddy brought his 04 TL to Tropic and they removed the rubber weather seal on the passenger door and refused to replace it. They argued with him, and said they were going to replace the door, but never did. Now inside his TL, you can hear wind coming in. Just becareful on where you go.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

thats exactly what he told me...he told me to prevent scratching they remove the inner rubber weather seal so it dosn't scratch so it slides up and down smoothly...i don't know if that benefits....but seems kinda stupid to me.....uch...does anyone know any cheaper tinting places that they would recommend? in the NJ Area? Tropics even though they have good feedback from customers 250 is still a little steap for me...id rather go with an AEM INTAKE if i was gonna spend that kinda money...
Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
thats exactly what he told me...he told me to prevent scratching they remove the inner rubber weather seal so it dosn't scratch so it slides up and down smoothly...i don't know if that benefits...
I did see/hear some tint guys do the same thing. And, it seems to work well without getting tint screatched. I have a few friends' 3GTLs getting the same treatment.

However, some of them do get teh wet windows inside in rainny days.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

would that void any warranty issues?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Love my TL

Originally Posted by cTLgo
if a tinter doesn't know about moleskin, he hasn't been in the business long enough, if he has been in the business long enough, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing
The Formula One tint shop that did my car (Formula One of Venice) had no idea what moleskin was. After I explained it to the owner by calling it felt tape to prevent scratches he knew what I was talking about but did not offer the service. Is moleskin an industry standard term? It didn’t seem like it because the guy had a sign up that said they have been in business for over 6 years. Also, my dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I talked to them about doing my tint.

After the shop installed my tint I did the moleskin install myself in less than an hour.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
You know, I didn't get moleskin and mine has been just fine. My tinter was willing to guarantee no scratches so that's what's important.
who wants the hassle? when it scratches you'll need to leave the car, they'll peel scrape off film and glue.

with the felt the tint is much less likely to scratch.

the original poster was gettin bamboozled by a inexperienced tint shop.

if they [tinter] does not know WTF moleskin is then simply walk away and find another shop.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I have had the tint on for a month now.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Instructor

I have had the tint on for a month now.
My wifes Benz took about 6 months before the tint really scratched bad. It's also a brand they recommend moleskin on. The driver side is fine, but the passenger window is in really bad shape.

You ever hit the Boathouse over in Exton?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Remove the inner rubber weather seal? They definetly didn't do that to mine. They folded it down so they can apply the tint and it took a couple of days after to pop back up, but it's definetly there.

I guess my TL has been just lucky so far no scratches.

NFLBlitze - I only know of Tropic in this area...but I think bklynpanman had recommended someone else in another thread. Let us know if you decide to go w/moleskin or not. $250 is steep, but I go back everytime because I know what I'm going to get from them...and to me the extra price is worth it. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLNJ
Remove the inner rubber weather seal? They definetly didn't do that to mine. They folded it down so they can apply the tint and it took a couple of days after to pop back up, but it's definetly there.

I guess my TL has been just lucky so far no scratches.

NFLBlitze - I only know of Tropic in this area...but I think bklynpanman had recommended someone else in another thread. Let us know if you decide to go w/moleskin or not. $250 is steep, but I go back everytime because I know what I'm going to get from them...and to me the extra price is worth it. Good luck.
thats not the right way to do it. does your inner upper wipe now look like a crinkly potato chip ???
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my tint on for six months without moleskin, no scratches here.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackoWacko
thats not the right way to do it. does your inner upper wipe now look like a crinkly potato chip ???
No, everything looks and works fine.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

ramzfan-boathouse...in malvern i have hit...where in exton?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Instructor

ramzfan-boathouse...in malvern i have hit...where in exton?
My bad, it's in Malvern. The free wings with a pitcher of beer can't be beat.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My friends have told me about the boat house. I've never been there. Hey coop, where did you get your tint done?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

The Moleskin Is No Good. I Had My Windows Tinted For 5 Months B4 I Put The Moleskins On, There Were No Scratches, Now That The Moleskins Are On, I Have All Glue On My Windows From The Moleskin, And Now That I Keep Taking The Door Panels Off To Fix The Moleskins I Have Constant Rattling, Do Not Use Moleskins
Old 03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TONY05TL
The Moleskin Is No Good. I Had My Windows Tinted For 5 Months B4 I Put The Moleskins On, There Were No Scratches, Now That The Moleskins Are On, I Have All Glue On My Windows From The Moleskin, And Now That I Keep Taking The Door Panels Off To Fix The Moleskins I Have Constant Rattling, Do Not Use Moleskins

This can only result from a improper installation of moleskin and/or using moleskin that may be too thick
Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm Baaack!

Tony if your having that many probs I would take off the whole internal wiper .. for the rest, if your tinter is going to guarantee against scratches .. then don't worry about the moleskin. If he won't, I'd get it. I had tints for less than 1 month and saw a very slight verticle scratch .. put on moleskins and no more scratches in the last 4 months
Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ramzfan
My bad, it's in Malvern. The free wings with a pitcher of beer can't be beat.
WoW!!! WHat nite is that...I need to know...I will get down there!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thorin78
My friends have told me about the boat house. I've never been there. Hey coop, where did you get your tint done?
XTR Tinting in Haverford, right off of City Line Ave. His name is Peter. Did a great job, whole car for $195.

And believe it or not, I jinxed myself by saying my tint is not scratched, I have a line scratch on my side window. Called Tint place...will replace it no charge...

Excellent service there, if you go, please tell them I referred you!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Instructor

WoW!!! WHat nite is that...I need to know...I will get down there!
Here you go, right from their website www.flanboathouse.com

WING-IT WEDNESDAY
Order any pitcher of beer, soda or ice tea and receive a free 10-piece order of our famous wings Mild, Hot, or for the daring Top Gun. If you want more of a variety we also offer sesame, raspberry, honey jerk, BBQ and Honey BBQ, yes this goes on all day.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ramzfan
Here you go, right from their website www.flanboathouse.com

WING-IT WEDNESDAY
Order any pitcher of beer, soda or ice tea and receive a free 10-piece order of our famous wings Mild, Hot, or for the daring Top Gun. If you want more of a variety we also offer sesame, raspberry, honey jerk, BBQ and Honey BBQ, yes this goes on all day.

I m there! Thanks for the info!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

I sell the mole skin below.