Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mobil 1 shortage....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
its just as much a true synthetic as castrol, valvoline, penzoil, quaker state, and any other major oil companies synthetic offering.....so if mobil 1 isnt than either are the others...amsoil, silkolene, redline, motol, and others are not what i would call major oil companies in the eyes of the average consumer....
Not exactly. Amsoil and Redline make mostly PAO and Ester based oils (IV and V) making them a true synthetic by technical definition.

You are right that most (not all) of the others are guilty of using the "legal" definition.

In fact, in Amsoil's literature, their XL line which is a group III oil is not labeled as a synthetic.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
IIRC, the Mobile1 High Mileage formulas are "true" synthetic.

I guess the difference with the Mobil1 we always discuss is that by a *legal* definition it is a "synthetic" oil, but by a scientific definition it is NOT a "synthetic" oil and it is labeled by what the law allows, not what the science allows.

Of course it is not *just* Mobile1 that uses this to thier advantage, but most of the other OTC "synthetics" too.

BTW - I thought this was pretty well understood. I am surprised there is so much enmity about it.
Pretty much what I was trying to say if my writing skills weren't that of an 8th grader.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
interesting, I was under the impression that Mobil was a true "fully synthetic" oil...anyway, even if it's not "fully synthetic" is it the best OTC oil to use? I've seen many threads on this site about the test that have been conducted and the conclusion have been it was the best OTC...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Pretty much what I was trying to say if my writing skills weren't that of an 8th grader.
I totally understood what you were saying. And I've read it here and/or seen references to this previously, which is why assumed most of the "regulars" would be aware of the distinction.

The link posted to the 350Z forum indicates that Mobil changed their formula to take advantage of the legal definition of a synthetic. I thought I'd seen/heard that before as well, but wasn't sure.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Team Owner

I totally understood what you were saying. And I've read it here and/or seen references to this previously, which is why assumed most of the "regulars" would be aware of the distinction.

The link posted to the 350Z forum indicates that Mobil changed their formula to take advantage of the legal definition of a synthetic. I thought I'd seen/heard that before as well, but wasn't sure.
I haven't read that link yet, going to in a minute though.

It sounds like what I heard; M1 was a true synthetic, fought the company that labeled their grp III as synthetic and when they lost in court, they started making grp III labeled as synthetic and charging the same price.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
A Black TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You, see vinneir6 i am not stupid, and just to prove it more, read this link- http://www.my350z.com/forum/engine-d...ad-sticky.html
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
You, see vinneir6 i am not stupid, and just to prove it more, read this link- http://www.my350z.com/forum/engine-d...ad-sticky.html

Lol........

While you may be right.... there is still nothing wrong with using Mobil1. Its a great oil
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I guess the difference with the Mobil1 we always discuss is that by a *legal* definition it is a "synthetic" oil, but by a scientific definition it is NOT a "synthetic" oil and it is labeled by what the law allows, not what the science allows.
Even that is a grey area... The process of hydro-cracking, thermal cracking, steam cracking, etc, are all synthetic processes. This part of the reason for the legal definition.

You can't really call a Group-III non-synthetic simply because it is a "highly refined" dino oil, because one could argue that Group IV PAO are technically also highly refined dino oil since PAO base stock is made from Xylene gas. Xylene gas starts life as dino oil. Xylene gas is obtained by steam cracking dino oil.

Group IV contains less unwanted contaminants than a Group-III, but the presence or absence of those contaminants does not determine if the end result is more "synthetic" or natural. Both are "synthetic", produced by different means to achieve different levels of purity.

Think of it this way... You can make hydrogen gas in different ways.. You can use H20, and do electrolysis, and get Oxygen and Hydrogen.

Or you can steam crack Natural Gas, and get Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen.

But anyways.... Mobil-1 is not a bad oil. Personally, the reason I don't use Pennsoil, is because I refuse to buy their products knowing that they also own DuraLube (or was it Slick50, I forget which), which is the biggest snake-oil product which is actually detrimental for your car's engine, but that's a rant for another day.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Just saw it at walmart yesterday for $26 ( 5 qt. jug ) and Costco for $36 a case.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 PM
A Black TL

Yup, penzoil i was always told to stay away form it.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
you still dont have mobil 1 in your car or your dealer would have charged you for a synthetic oil change....i guarantee its the best oil they cary, or your dealer is an idiot....atleast that would move that title from you to your dealer anyways...

just kidding dude...its all good, i really dont give a shit anymore as i have reached the point of being hammered....
Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Check out this link. http://www.bestsynthetic.com/
It will show you why Amsoil is the best. Go to the bubble on the left that says educate. This should answer some questions.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by avs007
Even that is a grey area... The process of hydro-cracking, thermal cracking, steam cracking, etc, are all synthetic processes. This part of the reason for the legal definition.

You can't really call a Group-III non-synthetic simply because it is a "highly refined" dino oil, because one could argue that Group IV PAO are technically also highly refined dino oil since PAO base stock is made from Xylene gas. Xylene gas starts life as dino oil. Xylene gas is obtained by steam cracking dino oil.

Group IV contains less unwanted contaminants than a Group-III, but the presence or absence of those contaminants does not determine if the end result is more "synthetic" or natural. Both are "synthetic", produced by different means to achieve different levels of purity.

Think of it this way... You can make hydrogen gas in different ways.. You can use H20, and do electrolysis, and get Oxygen and Hydrogen.

Or you can steam crack Natural Gas, and get Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen.

But anyways.... Mobil-1 is not a bad oil. Personally, the reason I don't use Pennsoil, is because I refuse to buy their products knowing that they also own DuraLube (or was it Slick50, I forget which), which is the biggest snake-oil product which is actually detrimental for your car's engine, but that's a rant for another day.
From Amsoil's website and I think it explains what I was trying to say:

"Synthetic lubricants are chemically engineered from pure chemicals rather than refined from crude oil. That gives them significant advantages over refined oils.
Pure - The feedstocks from which synthetic lubricants are made do not contain sulfur, nitrogen or other elements that invite the formation of sludge and other products of lubricant breakdown. Synthetic lubricants can be used in higher temperatures than refined lubricants without breaking down. Their resistance to breakdown also allows them to be used longer than refined lubricants can be used. Lubricated systems stay cleaner and last longer with synthetic lubricants.
Synthetic lubricants differ from refined oil in three key ways: synthetics are pure, their molecular structure is uniform, and they may be designed to work in applications in which refined oils cannot."

If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could show how some group V comes from dino oil too or would that be plant/animal fats? Then again, V seems to be the catch-all for anything that doesn't fit into the first 4.

I thought PAOs are made from ethylene gas.

How about group VI PIOs I wonder if there will ever be an application for them.

Seriously though, I "think" the difference is the grp II and III feedstock is VGO and through the catalytic process (isomertation) comes the oil. While the PAOs are gas to liquid oils.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, ok I'm convinced. Any Amsoil dealers out there willing to sell me some 0w20 and an oil filter? I'm sure it will be cheaper than on the website.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
you still dont have mobil 1 in your car or your dealer would have charged you for a synthetic oil change....i guarantee its the best oil they cary, or your dealer is an idiot....atleast that would move that title from you to your dealer anyways...

just kidding dude...its all good, i really dont give a shit anymore as i have reached the point of being hammered....
kidding or not, lay off the insults ok?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
its funny how this forum had left the oil debate a few months back... guess its back soon as someone's mid say >15%
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stillhere153
its funny how this forum had left the oil debate a few months back... guess its back soon as someone's mid say >15%
I find it entertaining how much emotion the oil debate stirs up (I'm guilty) and how it seemingly will never be resolved.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
B16 Swapped TL

I find it entertaining how much emotion the oil debate stirs up (I'm guilty) and how it seemingly will never be resolved.
Same here. Alot of emotions on whether or not Mobil1 is a true Synthetic or what is the best brand of oil out there.

I say it's not a true Synthetic... but I don't care, I still use it, and its a great oil.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM
A Black TL

Yea, im sorry to vinnier i just didn't want to look like an idiot without proving my point lol. Well anyways for regular oil i think Mobile 1 is really good.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

Yea, im sorry to vinnier i just didn't want to look like an idiot without proving my point lol. Well anyways for regular oil i think Mobile 1 is really good.
your point is wrong....because mobil 1 isnt regular oil...its a premium synthetic....can we lock this down already....
Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

your point is wrong....because mobil 1 isnt regular oil...its a premium synthetic....can we lock this down already....
Well, it has a premium price...
Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Well, it has a premium price...
yes it does, just about the same price as all the other premium synthetic motor oils....castrol syntec, valvoline supersyn, penzoil platnum,mobil 1 and all the others, they are all expensive and they are all premium synthetic motor oils....
Old 11-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

yes it does, just about the same price as all the other premium synthetic motor oils....castrol syntec, valvoline supersyn, penzoil platnum,mobil 1 and all the others, they are all expensive and they are all premium synthetic motor oils....
Ok. You win. Don't listen to any technical info, just keep repeating It is a premium synthetic, it is a premium synthetic.

People who think the way you do are the reason they are able to charge premium synthetic prices for a good grp III oil.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
B16 Swapped TL

put quotes around "synthetic" and you are spot on....because its not a true synthetic
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Let's agree to disagree and call it a day. Closed.