Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mismatch bumper color?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:13 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mismatch bumper color?

I am picking up my wdp/5AT/navi on friday. I noticed that the color on the bumpers is slightly different than the rest of the car. My salesman said that this is normal. I noticed this on other light color cars as well. I was considering canceling this order and going with anthracite, since it does not show or as much on darker colors. But if I did this I would have to wait another 3 months for anthracite. I would really appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks !!!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Antracites are mismatched too. I have a picture that shows this but the photo gallery is still down. Some sort of problem with the color looking different on plastic versus metal I think.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:35 AM
What's a TL?

I have even seen the dark green looking pretty different. I have WDP and hate the mismatched bumpers are times. For the most part, however, I don't notice it. The only time I am really concerned is when I was it, and the color difference is really evident.

The WDP is a really good color, mismatched bumpers and all.

Forgot to mention that this is a very common problem with cars that have a pearl or metallic color to them...it is most evident on light colored cars but can been seen across the spectrum of colors.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
VTEC=happiness

Saw a WDP in the parking lot the other day. Have to admit it really looks good on the TL. Wanted to take a closer look but there was a lady in the car and thought I shouldn't stare.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Banned

The color mismatch is due to the flex agent used to prevent the flexing of the plastic bumpers from cracking the paint. Personally, I feel that with the way that paint has evolved to date, it is ridiculus that they cannot get a flex agent in there without changing the color that much. I was considering WDP from looking through the brochures but the first time I saw one in person, I was totally disappointed and will not buy a WDP.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:44 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by legendguy
VTEC=happiness

Saw a WDP in the parking lot the other day. Have to admit it really looks good on the TL. Wanted to take a closer look but there was a lady in the car and thought I shouldn't stare.
Did she look good?? I mean the car, of course.

I always thought white to be a boring color for boring people, but I just think it looks sproty and nice in this car. All the WDP owners appreciate the compliment
Old 03-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The WDP looks real nice but the mismatch of colors between the body and the bumpers is very clear. Got used to it now over time though...

Old 03-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The color match on the bumpers is something I noticed right off. Dark colors are closer and black is near perfect. I think it is something that could be improved. I look at other cars and the issue for the most part is nonexistent. Other cars succesfully use flex agent. I suspect it is a coverage issue (amount of paint) on the bumbers. Somebody at Acura must have said close enough! They were wrong.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never met a late-model car with absolutely perfectly color-matched bumpers. I don't believe it exists unless the rest of the car is made of the same plastic. However, some makes/models and some colors are almost perfect and others are way off. The TL is somewhere in the middle, and the white would seem the worst offender. My Anthracite's difference is so slight only the most anal/obsessed owner would think about it for more than 3 seconds.