Mirror - euro or asian spec for driver side

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004 | 06:01 PM
4th Gear

Mirror - euro or asian spec for driver side

How can I get either a Honda OEM spec convex or a european style graduated convex mirror to replace the flat, stock side mirror on my 2004 TL?

If I could learn what Honda models are sold overseas, either left-hand drive or right-hand drive, that have the same mirror size as the TL, I'm halfway there. Then I just need a part number and the name of an overseas parts dealer.

Any ideas? Does anyone in North America specialize in this sort of thing? BTW, are any TL's being shipped with right-hand drive?

And how does one pry the mirror off its motorized chassis for the purpose of replacement?
Old 02-13-2004 | 06:22 PM
Instructor

I guess you want the turn signals on the side mirrors... My question is do you want to loose the heated mirrors or the reverse function of the mirrors?

Or does the replacement have both functions?
Old 02-13-2004 | 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Mirror - euro or asian spec for driver side

Originally posted by DClarke
How can I get either a Honda OEM spec convex or a european style graduated convex mirror to replace the flat, stock side mirror on my 2004 TL?

If I could learn what Honda models are sold overseas, either left-hand drive or right-hand drive, that have the same mirror size as the TL, I'm halfway there. Then I just need a part number and the name of an overseas parts dealer.

Any ideas? Does anyone in North America specialize in this sort of thing? BTW, are any TL's being shipped with right-hand drive?

And how does one pry the mirror off its motorized chassis for the purpose of replacement?

TL is for North America, so no right hand side.
Old 02-13-2004 | 11:29 PM
Pro

Re: Mirror - euro or asian spec for driver side

Originally posted by DClarke

Do you just want the mirror or do you want a whole new mirror assembly? You can get a mirror custom made for a reasonable price, but I'm not too sure about the heating and reverse functions
Old 02-14-2004 | 07:53 AM
Racer

I too would like a convex mirror on the driver's side. I had a Fiat in the 70's that had convex on both sides (before the government thought it was bad) and really liked how much better I could see. I think that the right side mirror (glass part) is exactly the same size as the left. If they were, maybe you could get a right side and replace the left with it. It would depend on how it is mounted.
Old 02-14-2004 | 08:10 AM
Advanced

As of now the TL is only sold in North America, so there isn't an equivalent right hand drive model.
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:39 PM
4th Gear

Believe it or not, turn signals are not an issue. (Man, there sure are a lot of people stirred up about those turn signals!)

Good points have been raised:

Heated mirrors - not a problem for me. I live in Atlanta, and the opportunities to take advantage are limited, on average, to about one or two days out of 365. However, 365 out of 365 days I use the driver's side mirror prior to initiating a lane change, and having a convex mirror there would be great. I would gladly sacrifice this mirror heating feature.

I don't really get the heated mirror idea anyway. It is for warming your hand, right? So what good is it warming up just the one hand? I can just barely stretch far enough to reach the other side of the car to warm my right hand, but then steering is a chore. Besides, if its the least bit cold out, having the window(s) down so I can touch the mirror sort of defeats the whole purpose. It gets pretty darned cold, especially over about 30 mph. And good luck trying to see through the mirrors with my hands splayed all over them! I've learned to keep my fingers separated as far as possible and I just look through my fingers.

Reverse function - since I would be trying to replace the "glass" part of the assembly only, which rides on the chassis that provides the downturn during reverse, this bit of surgery shouldn't affect this great feature. BTW, wouldn't it be boffo if both mirrors flipped down instead of one at a time? Also, they don't seem to flip down far enough for me. If I am parallel parking or backing into a striped parking space, I always run out of mirror before I run out of parking space.

TL's in North America only? - I thought so, thanks for verifying.

Custom mirror - I hadn't considered that. Good suggestion. I'll probably make do with my flat mirror and the cheesy stick-on's from Wal-Mart or Advance Auto if I cannot find and adapt a regular Honda part.

Any easy way of finding out if the TL uses the same mirror size as any of Honda's euro or Asian vehicles? Same as an overseas-bound Civic or Accord? S2000's? Inspires? Sabres? Or even TSX's and RL's (assuming that they are sold outside North America). I suppose I could take a ruler and measure my mirror, and then measure Civic/Accord mirrors at the dealership. That'll give the salespeople something to talk about.
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:55 PM
Team Owner

The mirror heaters will also defog the mirror under conditions where water is condensing on the mirror.

Mike
Old 02-16-2004 | 01:08 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

you can also stick heating elements on the back of the newly cut convex mirror. so you don't have to loose anything.
Plus it will help still having the feature you when sell the car.

good idea!
keep us posted.

I'm working on appling blue LED turning signals to the back of my mirrors, I'm using a dremel to clear round holes for the LED's to flash through. I'll post pictures when I'm done (I don't get much free time lately)