Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The million dollar headlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
So im on the autolumination site and it looks like there are a few LED options for turn signals. Can you tell me which exact model you have? I guess model number, color, etc... I have an 06 TL and I'm looking for the same set you have for turn signals.

As you can tell, im a novice when it comes to this stuff, but your setup looks amazing! Appreciate all the help you can provide!
I believe it's this one: http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

Should be the 7443 Wedge lights, though I too am a novice at this stuff. May be a fun mod though.

Why is it in the OP, he said something about wanting to now remove the amber casing from the headlights, but in all the pictures, it's already gone?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good job, guys. long hours but definitely worth it.

do the switchback LEDs color match stock headlights when they are not blinking?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:59 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by spiike
Why is the wiring so secretive with this mod? I did some searches on the TSX forum and it's all "pm THEN i'll show you" type of thing.
No secret here.

The angel-eyes come with an inverter that transforms the 12V from the car to a really high voltage. (600V or something!). The inverter has 2 outputs for 2 angel-eyes. It is intended for the 2007+ TLs so the kit came with 4 rings and 2 inverters. I wanted to use 4 rings on 2 TLs 2004-2006. As you know each car would then require only 2 angel-eyes. Problem is you cannot extend the high-voltage wires to the inverter. I had no choice but to use 1 inverter per angel-eye. That means I would need 4 inverters. I bought 2 more inverters online. I took all 4 inverters and removed wires from each one and converted them to single output. (Leaving a high voltage wire dangling around would be dangerous!).

Small holes were drilled in hidden places to run the wire for the angel-eyes, (one of them is pictured) and siliconed to seal. These wires proceed to the inverter. The low voltage 12V input wires to the inverter were spliced in to the wiring near the corner signal. I figured out which wire was the parking light and spliced them in. I insulated everything in loom and taped everything up and tied the inverter up near the HID ballast assuming it would keep relatively dry there.

I know all this sounds confusing but it was really easy. Just took a lot of energy and time.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:03 AM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by TeknoKing

Long hours of tedious work: free
Uhhh.....I don't know about that part.....This was listed in the Black Market awhile ago for you folks that didn't notice. Do a search and you will see what I was asking. It was a one-time offer that I put out there and Brian immediately jumped on it.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
If my car wasn't lease I would of done this tonight. I enjoy working with jap's electronics, and it's not difficult, just time consuming to do it right.

Still, awesome job, I didn't do research before I posted the master card theme response.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
No secret here.

Problem is you cannot extend the high-voltage wires to the inverter. I had no choice but to use 1 inverter per angel-eye. That means I would need 4 inverters. I bought 2 more inverters online. I took all 4 inverters and removed wires from each one and converted them to single output. (Leaving a high voltage wire dangling around would be dangerous!).
Rock, why can't you extend the angel eye wire?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:09 PM
King of NYC

I've researched about this and because it's a high voltage wire, the inverter is engineered to deliver power with a wire of specific gauge (22AWG) and length. Extending the wire will result in a reduction of power they say. Adding additional connectors etc. will add to resistance. Beyond that this is a high voltage wire conducting over 600V. It is very hard to splice this wire unless you use high voltage rated wire (Just check the specs on the white wires Kennedy) and solder your connections using a lot of insulation/shrink tubing etc. Ordinary 12VDC Autozone wire won't work here! You want it well insulated otherwise you can start a fire. The juice coming out of this wire looks like a lightning arc and can burn you!! (Don't ask how I know!) You can extend the 12V input wires as much as you want, no problem there.

But if you really really need to break the rules and extend the wires and you know what you're doing, it's recommended you go not more than 6". I thought it was better just being safe and buying 2 more inverters. I also noticed it's slightly brighter that way too. Less load on the inverter I guess.

(BTW Kennedy....sorry I couldn't wait!)
Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Brian, you beat me to the punch. Good job.
Those are 500K headlights, not a million. Shame on you for not going all out and doing the ZKW lens swap too, that would have made it a million. I'm glad you like the 6000K bulbs, I have them now, and think they suck. The output is WAY reduced compared to the phillips 85122+... Those are the bomb, but alas, not as blue. I was gonna do the switchbacks too, but didn't like how the while leds had a 10K output... and I wasn't about to install 10K bulbs, the output is even worse. I went with a v-leds yellow... Probably keep the popo's away as well.

Good job. Love the angel eye "zombie eye".
Are your Angel eyes wired as DRLs (as in they're on all the time), or do they come on with the running lights?
Haha, ZKW lenses did not even cross my mind.. that's a full projector replacement? People have told me that the Acura TL projectors are fire and everyone wants to get their hands on them.. so I just left them the way they are.. but I can definitely notice the change in hue, as in more blue, but can't really taste the difference in light output.. IMHO it still provides enough light output for me, *shrugs.

My angel eyes are not wired as DRLs, they are wired to turn on with the parking lights.. i actually like it that way.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
does your amber turn on at a different time than your rear signals??
it looks to me on the video that the white comes on when the rear signals flash and the amber comes on when the rear signals are off....

or is it just me?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM
King of NYC

That's because his rear signals are not LEDs, just regular bulbs. LEDs flicker on and off at a really quick rate. Regular filament bulbs warm on and off. The frame rate of the video strobes the effect making it worse than it looks in person.

I showed off my rear LED signals to him and I bet it will be a future mod for him. When you got LEDs at all 4 corners they blink in sync.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM
King of NYC

Kennedy, I know ZKWs would be crazy but Brian and I are $$ crunching for now. Maybe one day. I know you like to go all out. The TL projectors are good for now.

I know color match is important to you. It is to me too, but to a lesser degree. I wish we had more free choice with these mods but we don't It's either have it or don't do it. I have LED fogs I use as DRLs as well and nothing matches.....If at least the switchbacks were a lil more whiter than blue it would match better. Here's how my front bulbs are like:

LED fogs-~6000kish color
LED switchbacks-~8000kish color
Headlights and lower fog lights-~8000k HIDs
Angel-eyes-4300-5500kish white color (Similar to a regular flourecent tube)
Front LED white sidemarkers-~6000kish color

My front end is a lil distastrous in terms of color match.....but it still looks hott
Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Damn rocky, HID'd out. Must look hot on the road, but it's people like YOU that make my auto tinting rear view mirror worthless hahaha
Old 12-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kennedy, I know ZKWs would be crazy but Brian and I are $$ crunching for now. Maybe one day. I know you like to go all out. The TL projectors are good for now.

I know color match is important to you. It is to me too, but to a lesser degree. I wish we had more free choice with these mods but we don't It's either have it or don't do it. I have LED fogs I use as DRLs as well and nothing matches.....If at least the switchbacks were a lil more whiter than blue it would match better. Here's how my front bulbs are like:

LED fogs-~6000kish color

My front end is a lil distastrous in terms of color match.....but it still looks hott

Don't matter. Still looks great.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Racer

rockyfeller or bforbrian, can we get a pic or description of which wire is the parking light wire that was spliced into?

Thanks, you guys are so helpful. I'll try to do the same when I do my install with diy pics or something.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Did you install load balancers on the switchbacks?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Thats incredible, nice work!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Did you install load balancers on the switchbacks?
I don't think he installed load balancers..
Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM
King of NYC

rockyfeller or bforbrian, can we get a pic or description of which wire is the parking light wire that was spliced into?

Thanks, you guys are so helpful. I'll try to do the same when I do my install with diy pics or something.
OK so there are 3 wires going to each of your front signals. Remember 7743 bulbs are dual filament. 1 is ground (black) and the other ones are power wires. One goes to the parking light contact for the bulb and the other for the signal I can't remember what color each wire is (except that the ground is black), but I can tell you based on position. The ground is on one side of the bulb connector. The parking light is on the opposite side. The signal light runs right in the middle

Another way to see what I am saying; If you can imagine the 3 wires arranged in parallel like this:

___________Ground
___________Signal
___________Parking Light

Get it? Hope so. Easy.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Rocky, should i remove the front bumper to get a good pic of the wiring? I should've done that when you were doing the installation...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by bforbrian
I don't think he installed load balancers..
What he means were those gold colored load resistors Brian. Yes I did use them....read the thread.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:13 PM
King of NYC

Rocky, should i remove the front bumper to get a good pic of the wiring? I should've done that when you were doing the installation...
Sure if you are up to it, by all means. Maybe you could realign that left headlight while you're at it.....

but if it were me I'd wait......it's cold outside man!

I'm such a dummy!!! We could have easily done a DIY Brian....you could have been the camera man!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

Oh yeah, those gold resistors were mounted; they had to be drilled and attached to some part near the switchbacks.. be cognizant about the length of the wire though, it can fall short.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:36 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Haha, ZKW lenses did not even cross my mind.. that's a full projector replacement? People have told me that the Acura TL projectors are fire and everyone wants to get their hands on them.. so I just left them the way they are.. but I can definitely notice the change in hue, as in more blue, but can't really taste the difference in light output.. IMHO it still provides enough light output for me, *shrugs.

My angel eyes are not wired as DRLs, they are wired to turn on with the parking lights.. i actually like it that way.
Nope... ZKW is just a replacement lens, not an entire projector. You're right though, Acura TL projectors with ZKW lenses are consider the "best there is" by many.

Here is an Acura TL projector with a ZKW lens installed.

I didn't notice the difference in light output until after I switched back. MOST HID bulbs "color shift" after a bit of use. They usually get a bit more blue, but dramatically lose output. Apparently my cheap import 6000K bulbs had color shifted.

I've researched about this and because it's a high voltage wire, the inverter is engineered to deliver power with a wire of specific gauge (22AWG) and length. Extending the wire will result in a reduction of power they say. Adding additional connectors etc. will add to resistance. Beyond that this is a high voltage wire conducting over 600V. It is very hard to splice this wire unless you use high voltage rated wire (Just check the specs on the white wires Kennedy) and solder your connections using a lot of insulation/shrink tubing etc. Ordinary 12VDC Autozone wire won't work here! You want it well insulated otherwise you can start a fire. The juice coming out of this wire looks like a lightning arc and can burn you!! (Don't ask how I know!) You can extend the 12V input wires as much as you want, no problem there.

But if you really really need to break the rules and extend the wires and you know what you're doing, it's recommended you go not more than 6". I thought it was better just being safe and buying 2 more inverters. I also noticed it's slightly brighter that way too. Less load on the inverter I guess.
Rock, don't confuse high voltage with high current. These ballast are high voltage but run milliamps of current draw. They're not particularly dangerous. Remember These things are wired to 12V source. That'll spark on you with a quickness due to the 850A battery behind it. Your concern is not quite valid.
There is a nominal change in resistance when you add 4 foot of wire, especially if you used butt connector instead splice n solder (always use solder), but even then, that change would only affect sensitive signal current (like data transfer over ethernet).

I'll try it with one vs two ballasts for your point on intensity, but I have no doubts you can extend that wire just fine, safely. How much did you pay for the other two ballasts?

LED fogs-~6000kish color

Peace bro... You're done and I'm not. Looks great. Glad to see you in the club.

Spiike. Running lights are the rightmost "white" wire on the connector that plugs into the blinker bulb. The middle wire is the blinker wire and the left black is ground. Red wire of ballast goes to the white wire on the right, brown wire of the ballast goes to the black wire on the left. It'as that simple.

I plan to splice my ballast into the windshield wiper wire, as it's comes on with switched power... so my rings will be on all the time the car is running... Like BMWs.

Good job men. I'm definately doing mine as soon as we get from the in laws Christmas. I'll be done by next weekend.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Here are some slightly better night pictures

Old 12-21-2007, 07:46 PM
FizzyStatus!

Looks good, are those stock fogs though?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:13 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I love this shot:

The double devil eye is sweet...

This shot also shows exactly why I want my rings to be on as DRLs. Imagine ONLY that ring glowing gloriously at dusk, all by itself...

Another install question. Why did you guys drill holes in the casing and run the wires out that way? I planned to run the wires to the rear of the housing, and drill a hole in the HID "access cap". I figure that would make it more reversible.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
FizzyStatus!

Another install question. Why did you guys drill holes in the casing and run the wires out that way? I planned to run the wires to the rear of the housing, and drill a hole in the HID "access cap". I figure that would make it more reversible.
Weird, I was thinking the same question earlier
Old 12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
King of NYC

Rock, don't confuse high voltage with high current. These ballast are high voltage but run milliamps of current draw. They're not particularly dangerous. Remember These things are wired to 12V source. That'll spark on you with a quickness due to the 850A battery behind it. Your concern is not quite valid.
There is a nominal change in resistance when you add 4 foot of wire, especially if you used butt connector instead splice n solder (always use solder), but even then, that change would only affect sensitive signal current (like data transfer over ethernet).
I have always said I'm no guru in electronics theory. I took a class in 8th grade so I can solder and that's about it. All you say may be right, I believe you. but I decided against lengthening the wire on many accounts I've read. As you know CCF tubes are used extensively by people who mod their PC boxes so there have been tons of cases where the entire PC has caught on fire because of faulty wiring of a CCFL kit. I used to have a neon kit on my car in high school and that too ran at about 600Vs. I know the amperage there was small too, but I used to play around with the leads and it could produce an arc of electricity within 3" of each other. It would burn anything it touched. I learned not to play with that stuff again. Here's just a few links about people sayin not to mess with the wires.

http://www.casemodgod.com/ccfl_inverter_rant.htm
http://www.cool-cases-usa.com/faq.html
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/.../t-111087.html
http://www.hardforum.com/archive/ind.../t-797680.html
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...ires-ccfl.html

And the list goes on.....Of course I know that all you read on the net ain't true but there must be some truth to it if there are so many people saying the same thing. As I was telling Brian while I was installing on his car, safety is number 1! If you want to be safe and still extend, I would recommend this:

http://www.jab-tech.com/Cold-Cathode...0-pr-3265.html

And if you want to know where I got my inverter, I went for a really nice quality outdoor-proof automotive grade one instead of a cheapo baby blue PC style one. Good stuff, I'm happy with it.

http://www.vibelights.com/alduin.html

Thank you rockyfeller! You can't ask for more help than that!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

http://www.vibelights.com/alduin.html

Thank you rockyfeller! You can't ask for more help than that!
Shit... For $10, I'll buy another set of weatherproof inverters to prevent me from having to splice the wires. That's cheap. I thought those things were expensive.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 PM
King of NYC

I looked for a way to route the wire and I too was about to go out the HID cap or along openings near the fog light. I realized that these parts may reach very high temps with the bulbs on so I didn't want to take a chance. I bypassed it all and made an early exit out with plenty of silicone and friction tape. Loomed it outside. I don't want anything harming the high voltage wires. Reversible??? HA! What about that headlight looks reversible anyways??
Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
wow that is simply amazing. I don't understand still why you ave the dual angel eye look, everyone elses on the boards doesn't have the inner reflected one.... Anyway great job, might do this when i have some $$$ to spend...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM
lilvinnyb

So when can I drive up from VA to have this done.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:02 AM
The Golden One

First off...AMAZING pictures and mod dude. I am definitely doing this when I get my TL. I was worried at first because I have blue corner LED's on my Maxima and wanted to get the same for the TL, but since the corner lamp and the turn signal are one and the same on the TL, it would be illegal in NY to have a non-amber turn signal. This fixes that issue. Excellent.

Here is an Acura TL projector with a ZKW lens installed.
Here is an Acura TL projector inside a 4th Gen. Nissan Maxima headlight with the clear lens installed (not as good as the ZKW...but better than the regular lense):

The last picture is while the lights were on the car of the guy I bought these from.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Ahhh so you put up the thread already man??? NICE!!

I usually don't like to brag but hey I have to say it came out freakin BEAUTIFUL for sure. Yep 16 freakin hrs of labor.....I told you guys, I'm a perfectionist. Pictures show you, it was all worth it!!!! Who gots skillz???

Guys, I posted this offer in the Black Market for these mods awhile back and Brian jumped on it immediately. I'm definitely not offering mods like that again....As you can see my car is also in 1000 pieces for my crazy mods and I am in over my head with work. I already had my cleared lights with switchbacks. Just put angel-eyes on today just like Brian's car. It'll take me a couple more weeks to get my car fully done and I'll post some pics later.

I'm so happy that you're happy with it Brian. I told you it would come out ridiculous. Let the jaws drop!
Wow, pics look awesome! great job, wish this was possible on a 1g CL

BTW my girlfriend wanted to ask you a question -

"How does your wife feel about you spending so many hours working on someone's car, even when your own is in pieces? I must say the lights are amazing, the photos are so clean, it was definitely time well spent! But anyway, I'm pretty knew to this "car world" that my bf indulges himself in and I just wanted to know if your wife was a car fan too or does she just let you do what you love? Maybe she could answer.

When it comes to cars I think the motto "if you cant beat them, join em" must be applied. Gotta say I've started taking a liking to my bf's passion, but it would be nice to get the perspective of another female out there whose just standing by her man." -Thanks

-Yea she had a lot to say.. lol
Old 12-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Racer

dainfammus1, just for some feedback on you post.. my gf hates it. I actually had her on speakerphone while I was doing my intake. Usually if I'm modding and on the phone with her then all is ok. But countless hours researching (wheels, lights, more wheels) drives my gf nuts. I guess being in a long distance relationship is to my advantage for car modding. =)

Rockyfeller, thanks so much. You guys are so helpful!! I'm feeling more confident to do this mod now.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Wow, that's sick....that's just....wow.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 AM
King of NYC

csmenace: Million dollar headlights for sure. All the mods done to the headlight from stock to as you see dosen't cost as much as you'd think if you did the math. It costs more in terms of time and energy. Now if you wanted to pay someone to do it for you.....that would cost ya! If you are wondering what that secondary ring is that you see in the picture.....Simple. The lens of the projector is convex and made of glass. What you are seeing is the reflection of the back of the angel-eye......Ahhh you guys and all these optical illusions. Are the photos and videos fooling you that much? I should be a physics professor!

Ilya: That's the whole idea of switchbacks. Havin LEDs in cool white but keepin it legal. The law says your signals have to blink amber in front and amber or red in back. Technically speaking all of who have cleared/blacked are supposed to have amber reflectors in the front by law. (red reflectors in the rear) Some have retained portions of the reflector or smoked them. Luckily cops won't really notice this. I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with it. If you ask me, the average cop will look at the car and know it is modded somehow but won't be able to tell exactly what or how unless he stared for a couple minutes.....Unless he's a cop that's a member on acurazine, then he'd know exactly what you did. And chances are he'd let you go with a

Brian: Check out the last picture Ilya posted of his Maxima. If you see how the light is cast on to the wall you will notice a bluish line at the cut-off line of the headlights. This gives you an idea of what the "color-mod" would look like. I wish I had had time do it for you. My headlights are like that and I love em.

DaInFaMMuS1: Interesting about the whole woman thing huh? I'll answer to your gf as my wife is now sleeping. (I am noturnal like darksom)

Well I think it's pretty easy for a girl to get jealous when you spend a lot of time working on your car. Especially when you start spending more time on your car than with her! All I can say is I have been pretty lucky. Every single girl I've known knows that my car is my #1 hobby and not one of them has given me grief about it. I've always been that guy with the cool car so I think they feel special makin everyone jealous sittin or driving my ride.

I work on my car at intervals. Meaning for 3 or 4 months I am busy with life and don't do a thing with the car. Then a particular weekend I will work 24/7 on it and then come back to life. Keeps her happy because she knows I'm not on that car 24/7/365. I'd do it if I could! But my profession calls.

She's not a car fan by ANY means. LOL! When I 1st met her she wouldn't know the difference between a Mercedes an Acura and a Hyundai. I bought my TL and I could have painted my car green and put pink neon inside it and she wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out to her. My wife started becoming intrigued about my car modding when we first met because of the cool things I was doing and I would show her the finished product and say "check it out!" She'd be in awe. Mostly because she couldn't believe how I could do it myself or how I figure out new things etc. She'd see me disassemble things into a million pieces and put it together with a finished project like magic. She'd always be like "who taught you this" etc. (I have credited acurazine a million times. She knows I am an acurazine nutcase) She thinks I am some super genius of the universe. It's a turn on!

She used to try and "help" me....lol. Her questions turned from "cute" to downright annoying....she then realized she was getting in the way half the time instead of helping.....Aww she's sweet. Nowadays she's gotten used to letting me do my thing and understands that it's my "alone time" when I want my space. She also understands the pride I take in my work and that awesome sense of completion and accomplishment when I finish a mod. She lets me have my reward.

In terms of working on someone else's car.....well the bottom-line is I got paid so I think that sank well with her. Plus my wife thought Brian was a such a polite and sweet guy so she was more than happy about me working on his car. We chilled, had dinner, wine....though it was tiring it was still a fun day. I invited friends from NY and they went X-mas shopping so that kept her occupied (Shhh! See how smart I am!! You learn all this when you get married man!) I had 2 other cars to use in the meantime so it was all good. My car has been in pieces for the last 3wks.

Enough of the thread hijack, sorry Brian......Now back to our regularly scheduled angel-eye program.....
Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its probably been said...but that is just freaking sexxxy!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
Looks good, are those stock fogs though?
Nope! Those are Hoen all-weather endurance fogs, work great.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:26 AM
Safety Car

I will try to get some bright day shots to show you guys as soon as I wake up, it's 6:26AM; I just got back from a night of drinking in the city x.x
goodnight/morning!

Quick Reply: The million dollar headlight