Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miles - Service Intervals - Dealer Comments

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miles - Service Intervals - Dealer Comments

I need to get Service B on my 6MT. I'm down to less than 5% oil life...so I'm not thrilled that it is like impossible to get a service appointment. In any event, I spoke to a service manager at my dealer and told him what th service warning says and that I have about 7100 miles on the car. He said, I should not have waited so long....OK, thanks....and then he said that I could actually wait another week and a half for the service which is when the next loaner is available (sort of inconsistent statements). He said that the Service B in the '04 TL is the same as the 7500 mile service in the '03 and '02 TLs. So basically, if I'm at 7100, it sounds like I've got at least a 400 mile buffer. He also said that Service B will include some "chassis adjustment" but he didn't elaborate. In addition, I asked him if there are any ECU updates for the 6MT...he said nothing pending. In any event, what are the thoughts out there about the oil life indicator versus when you really need to change the oil? Granted, driving style influences it.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Sounds like you might be about to get ripped off by the dealer. How does he know you will need some sort of chassis adjustment?

Find out what the cost is for the B service, which is basically an oil change, and possibly a tire rotation. The rest of the stuff in the B inspection is stuff they are supposed to look at during an oil change, so there should not be much of an additional charge.

There have been reports of people being charged about $75-over $125, which is ridiculous.

You can get your oil and filter changed anywhere you want, or do it yourself, and it will not affect the warranty. Just make sure you get the right oil filter. If there is a Honda dealer nearby and you would feel more comfortable staying in the Honda family, you could go there.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 PM
HMFIC

I think the B service is an oil/filter change (A service) and a bunch of visual inspections that they may, or may not, actually do.

I just had my first service and the dealer put 5W30 oil instead of the specified 5W20. Why bother going to the dealer. They promised updated pads for the Brembos and then told me Acura said not to use them as they do not solve the squeeling problem.

Bottom line, don't worry - a few extra miles is no big deal.

Don
Old 08-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Administrator

B service also calls for a tire rotation, which may or may not be needed, depending on your mileage and if your tires were replaced. Dealers seem to charge a lot more for this than other places you might want to go to.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

sounds like a minor service to me. oil change, tire rotation, inspect brakes, inspect cv boots, adjust rear brakes, and a few other minor things. gets done every 7500 miles (every other oil change) on most cars. should cost around $75 but we need to account for "Acura inflation" which is usually oh lets go with 33%. So that takes your cost up to a nice even $100. But perhaps I forgot the "Acura bend you over" also known as the "Acura rape fee" which usually runs about $25. So all in all it'll probably cost you $125 for the honor of having your car serviced by Acura. Bitter? well perhaps just a little heh.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

has anyone tried going to the dealer's actual website (not acura.com but specific dealer website) ? Usually they have a service "special" which is discounted service and sometimes can be more in line with what you would pay at an independent shop. Maybe not a $10 oil change, but $20 in some cases. Just curious, as I've never had any car dealer serviced but I'm planning to take my TL to the dealer when it needs its first service.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Racer

You've only got 7100 miles and it's already saying you need the B service? When did the A service come due? I didn't get my A serivce done until 8000 miles, and I'm at >13K now and still have 50% oil life remaining before B service due.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by srone11
has anyone tried going to the dealer's actual website (not acura.com but specific dealer website) ? Usually they have a service "special" which is discounted service and sometimes can be more in line with what you would pay at an independent shop. Maybe not a $10 oil change, but $20 in some cases. Just curious, as I've never had any car dealer serviced but I'm planning to take my TL to the dealer when it needs its first service.
We (Acura-tl.com) should influence dealers to give good customer service. When my oil got to 20%, I called the dealer, made the appointment, and was in and out in an hour. All of us should get the same service from all the Acura Dealers. Maybe one of our moderators can shed light on influencing our dealers to 'remain committed' past the sale.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't the owners manual specify what is required at each service?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by marquis
You've only got 7100 miles and it's already saying you need the B service? When did the A service come due? I didn't get my A serivce done until 8000 miles, and I'm at >13K now and still have 50% oil life remaining before B service due.
When the writer's location specifies NY, and this happens to be Manhattan or other highly populated area, then the low number of miles between oil changes is to be expected, because of stop and go driving, short trips, long idling times, etc. Right, rets?

My driving is a combination of semi-highway driving and some city driving, so my MID reads 20% at 6,500 miles, which is perfectly reasonable to me.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
When the writer's location specifies NY, and this happens to be Manhattan or other highly populated area, then the low number of miles between oil changes is to be expected, because of stop and go driving, short trips, long idling times, etc. Right, rets?

My driving is a combination of semi-highway driving and some city driving, so my MID reads 20% at 6,500 miles, which is perfectly reasonable to me.
The miles I log every day are a combination of "stop and go" and highway, so I'm kinda of surprised that my oil life is so fleeting. My service A was at about 3400 miles. It just seems that I should have better oil life, or Acura should recommend an oil with higher viscosity for people doing city driving.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which dealer is this seamg?
My A1 service is due soon and I have about 4300 miles. I made an appointment for next week. The earliest date they have.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by seamg
I need to get Service B on my 6MT. I'm down to less than 5% oil life...so I'm not thrilled that it is like impossible to get a service appointment. In any event, I spoke to a service manager at my dealer and told him what th service warning says and that I have about 7100 miles on the car. He said, I should not have waited so long....OK, thanks....and then he said that I could actually wait another week and a half for the service which is when the next loaner is available (sort of inconsistent statements). He said that the Service B in the '04 TL is the same as the 7500 mile service in the '03 and '02 TLs. So basically, if I'm at 7100, it sounds like I've got at least a 400 mile buffer. He also said that Service B will include some "chassis adjustment" but he didn't elaborate. In addition, I asked him if there are any ECU updates for the 6MT...he said nothing pending. In any event, what are the thoughts out there about the oil life indicator versus when you really need to change the oil? Granted, driving style influences it.
It's hard to determine if 04TL's 7k service is equal to 03TL's 7k, especially the engine oil and filter. If most of ppl maintain cars based on information on MID, the results will be varied and distinct by areas.

This makes Acura dealer harder to control your car and earn their paycheck. So, they have to come out some good saying to convince consumers.

My first oil chage was around 55-57k, which included the 3k long trip to Arkansas. The dealer told me "7k" was what I need and charged me $128.89.

Acura dealers obviously seem not to find the good way to treat 04TL yet, they will continue to tell all different customers what is "GOOD" to your car and what is supposed to do on your car by those 03 standard.

Frankly speaking, your mileage with MID seems reasonable and fair to me. I had similar mileage as yours, my 2nd oil interval was around 4k. In NYC, I have more than 75 percent of "stop & go" driving, and my MID info may be similar to yours if not driving my car out of town too much... Now, I decided what I like to do myself.

Who's your dealer? R...?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:40 PM
I6

When I called up my dealer to schedule an appointment the service advisor told me that the new TL doesn't go by how many miles, it goes by when the car tells you to do which service.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
When I called up my dealer to schedule an appointment the service advisor told me that the new TL doesn't go by how many miles, it goes by when the car tells you to do which service.
You are lucky you have an informed dealer.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
This thread is a poster child for why I have my own service schedule, oil choice, and do my own work.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 PM
I6

I would rather do my own oil changes also but I don't have a garage so it's kind of hard.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:10 AM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
I would rather do my own oil changes also but I don't have a garage so it's kind of hard.
I've changed my oil once and I use my driveway. I bought some Rhino ramps and it's a snap. Plus I know it's done right. I torque the drain plug (29 ft-lbs, I *think*) - I'm sure the dealer does not.

I took my car to the dealer for the A1 because I don't have a way to do the rotation and they were going to swap out my squeeling brembo pads - then they said Acura told them the new pads also squeel.

Don
Old 08-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Road Rage
This thread is a poster child for why I have my own service schedule, oil choice, and do my own work.
Amen RR Amen. DIY all the way for me.