Mexican dude in $200 van slams his door into my TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004 | 07:42 PM
Instructor

UPDATE: So I just found out my insurance company said I can put rock nicks under comprehension which will not raise my insurance. However a car hitting another car (regardless of how it happened) falls under collision.. which of course raises the insurance..

so screw it, I'll just pay the $30-$50 or whatever to get the door handle repainted or something.. and see what I can get from comprehension after paying the $50 deductible to get my passenger window replaced and all the rock nicks professionally buffed out.
Old 10-15-2004 | 07:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chazy777
However a car hitting another car (regardless of how it happened) falls under collision.. which of course raises the insurance..
who said it was another car ? one day you walked to your car and saw that thing on a door handle. some vandals mush have done it !

i usually don't encourage lying, but for the money we pay for car insurance i'd like to have something back ...
Old 10-15-2004 | 07:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I had a windshield replaced under my comprehensive coverage last winter and did not pay anything; no premium increase either since comprehensive applies to things beyond the driver's control like rock damage, trees falling over, etc., and thus has nothing to do with the degree of risk.
Many companies have special cases for windshield replacement. You usually are allowed for one free windshield replacement per year. Even though you might have a deductable on your comprehasive, it will be free anyway.
Old 10-15-2004 | 08:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diver
who said it was another car ? one day you walked to your car and saw that thing on a door handle. some vandals mush have done it !

i usually don't encourage lying, but for the money we pay for car insurance i'd like to have something back ...
Yea I thought about that after I discussed it with the insurance company.. OBVIOUSLY if I knew this beforehand I would've said that I didn't know how it happened and had to be a rock nick.. DAMN.. too late now though.. I already showed them pics and everything...

lesson learned..
Old 10-15-2004 | 08:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diver
Many companies have special cases for windshield replacement. You usually are allowed for one free windshield replacement per year. Even though you might have a deductable on your comprehasive, it will be free anyway.
Well I've heard of no such thing.. and does the passenger window count as a windshield?

And just so you know the story on this window.. it happened as soon as I drove off the Marin dealership's lot!!! 4 nicks in the window!! I discovered it after driving 45 minutes back home! I brought it back to Marin a week later and they looked at it for me and said sorry it wasn't there before and this kind of stuff is not covered under warranty. They couldn't believe what they saw either.. they are the strangest nicks exactly 6 inches apart in a straight line! It TOTALLY looks like it came from the factory like that!! They told me sorry though that I have to go through my insurance...

I was pissed.. but i'm not a fighter... (obviously since I didn't give the "mexican dude" any temper at all) and nobody has told me anything about some free windsheild replacement of any kind..
Old 10-15-2004 | 09:08 PM
USC YQUE

I was not implying any prejudice if that's what you think. I'm implying he's mexican that he doesn't speak english.. So I couldn't communicate with the guy. If he spoke perfect english, I wouldn't have even mentioned "mexican"
????
This 'logic' makes no sense. Nationality has nothing to do with a person not being able to comunicate in English. I sense another sub-text to your post.
Old 10-15-2004 | 09:15 PM
Instructor

Well I've heard of no such thing.. and does the passenger window count as a windshield?
sorry, but i don't think so.

here is a funny story that happened to me ... 4 or 5 years ago, when i just got my current car (one
more week current, before TL is delivered ) i was driving when i noticed some nicks on my
windshield. that got me a little upset and after looking some more i discovered that THE
WHOLE windshield was covered with them. there were literally thousands of small nicks
evenly spread all over the windshield. it got me really freaked out ! i though maybe i was
driving behind some truck that was spraying same sand or some small rock or some other
crap. it took me 30 minutes to get off the highway and get to the place where i was headed
and i got really upset during that ride ... turned out that all that was just sap from some freaking
tree. it dropped from the tree and dry out in small perfect hemispheres, reflecting the light the
way nicks would do !! i though i'd get a heart attack

Old 10-15-2004 | 11:49 PM
Advanced

Chazy,

it seems like you solved your own problems. because it was another car and they know about it, they will jack up your premiums later, so that's not an option. no witnesses, its your word against his, he's probably not insured, maybe illegal, etc...... so that's no longer an option. what to do now? it's a bitch that he lied to you and didn't apologize, but don't let someones dishonesty and crued acts stress you out. I would be really disapointed too, but put it into perspective, there are probably 99% worse things out there that could go wrong (like getting hit from behind by a 7 ton landscaping truck and having a bad back for maybe the rest of my life. it happened to me on 9/7/04) or being in a hopeless war in iraq (which i'm glad i'm not in). anyway, remember that what goes around comes around and he will get what he deserves (but maybe not by you). I would just take care of business! go get some estimates if you want to fix it, then fix it. get a good job done on it, put some nora jones or your favorite music on, enjoy driving an awesomely bad-a$$ car, and be happy that it was a minor ding and he didn't back up into your car and drive away. Be cool, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the drive.

MY .02
Old 10-16-2004 | 12:42 AM
Drifting

I wish there was an area of parking at my work place where nobody parks.. There isn't.. You are actually lucky to even find a parking spot anywhere with the time I come in. Plus I need to be in range for my alarm to page me.
This doesn't always work. One time I parked near the end of the lot... I was sitting inside my car getting some papers out of the glovebox. A truck pulls in right next to me... (Keep in mind I parked at the end of the aisle furthest from the door, and there are about a billion empty spots between here and the door. Truck door opens... BAM... He wacks my passenger door. I look up, and IT'S THE DIRECTOR OF MY GROUP!!! I wasn't about to hassle my director. I also realized he opened the door really wide, because he's handicapped, and needs the room to get his crutches out. The part I didn't understand, is that I parked on the far end furthest away from the door, and there are closer spots. And on top of that, he has a handicap placard hanging from his mirror, and the handicap spots were empty, which are also next to the door. I figured he just always parks in the first available spot, since I parked in the parking spot that was closest to the entrance of the parking lot. Soooooo.... I parked at the end of the aisle out in the boondogles, not close to anything. Furthest from the door AND furthest from the parking lot entrance. When I got back, a car decided to make his own parking spot next to me, and left me a nice dent on my front quarter panel, right next to the hinge, such that all the paintless dent repair places said they couldn't fix it.

You just can't win.
Old 10-16-2004 | 06:28 AM
Advanced

hahahhahhahahha...the mexican reference with his 200$ truck....lol....hahahhahahhahhahahha....kinda messed up...but funny nonetheless....good luck with ur handle
Old 10-16-2004 | 08:19 AM
Blue is so so

I ALWAYS park my TL FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR away from all the motherless idiots. And even then there is always some son of a B**** who decides to park right next to me, even though there are a trillion other widely available spots.

In short, I think you should've made a huge deal about this, I don't like the fact that people are saying "its not a big deal" - that kind of attitude is the reason why people continue to do this to our hard earned property.

I'll tell you this much, if someone did that to my TL and I was 110% positive of the person's identity, there car would not be without equal or greater damage.

Certain times, we ask for damage to our car because of where we park it and where we drive it. But if you go out of your way to avoid damage to your car, and some irresponsible waste of a human being goes out of his/her way to be ignorant and careless, then its go time.

For instance, the other day I parked my car in manhattan, its 6+ months old, 10K miles on it. I came back to it, and there is a beautiful (sarcasm) dingy on the driver's side door, and even better is that the freaking paint chipped!!!!!

Now, I should have never parked where I did, so I cannot be angry because of my negligence to park my tl in an area where morons exist a dime a dozen.

But to have to deal with this at work, or in an area where you can take extra precautions. I don't think so.

We should really go out of our way to make sure that people are responsible, not only with minor door dings, but with EVERYTHING in life.

This slap on the wrist crap has to stop. I equate someone giving you a door dingy to a crime. Seriously.

Why? Because everytime I open the door and I'm next to someone, I damn well make sure my door does not come anywhere close to touching someone else's car. I would rather make MYSELF uncomfortable and inconvenienced than to damage someone else's hard earned property.

Now I have a real nice dingy on my driver's side, and even if I used touch up paint, the very minor dent still shows. I think I'm gonna get dent wizard or something. Wish I had a pic for you guys!!!!

I know I'm extreme about this, but it pisses me off to no end when we accept irresponsible behavior from our fellow "humans."
Old 10-16-2004 | 09:31 AM
8th Gear

Let it go, it is no worth the heartache and if he is not doing well finacially, do you think there is a chance of you getting anything out of it. Chalk it up to a bad experience. Sorry you have to deal with this, it would make me sick as well. As it is I park in the back of parking lots in hopes of lessening my chances of a door ding or scrape from someone who's momma didn't love them enough to teach them respect for other peoples property.
Old 10-16-2004 | 12:53 PM
It's Major. Boy.

Why don't you just buy a Genuine OEM Brand New Factory Painted door handle from acuraparts247 for $16.09? Click the link below, its Illustration No. 16 for the Right Handle and Illustration No. 25 for the Left Handle.

http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no

Oh yeah, don't forget, POINTS FOR ME EVERYBODY.

Old 10-16-2004 | 01:36 PM
I6

That's a good price. I have a scratch on my driver's door handle also. Now how do you take it off and put it back on?
Old 10-16-2004 | 07:18 PM
Drifting

I'd be pissed too....then I'd go have a few beers and forget about the whole issue. Next year, you'll have more bird crap stains, rock chips, and other issues with your car that will make the whole Mexican deal fade into the sunset. It's just a car, and if you're going to drive it everyday, it's not going to be a virgin forever!
Old 10-18-2004 | 07:05 PM
Instructor

Thank you for all the replies! And points to you rough rider... I was meaning to look on ebay or something for a door handle... to tell you the truth I totally forgot about this whole incident.. Yes I was incredibly pissed during the time and needed to "ventilate" and create this thread here. But if I got pissed and started bashing his car in knowing there was nothing I can do about it cause the guy didn't have insurance and sat there deliberatly lying when it couldn't have been more obvious he did that, I would've ended up in some worse situation.. (who knows maybe his 'esses' woulve done something a lot worse to my car at another time... pop the tires, graffitti the car, who knows).. I let it go. Why risk creating an enemy. I have no enemies thank god.

I touched it up pretty good with touch up paint plus I got great news from my insurance. I am able to put a single claim, $50 deductible, to get my passengar window completely replaced, and all the rock nicks fixed... I may go through someone else with the claim rather then my personal agent on the door handle to be part of the claim and indicate it was a rock chip..But my insurance never goes up and is not effected in any way from comprehension claims regardless of how many I put in!

yes my car will be physically "perfect" again, with it's current age and use, until my next travelling trip which I'm sure I'll have new rock dings.. but I think I will be taking advantage of my full coverage insurance and after so many rock chips, I'll get them repaired for another $50 deductible. I mean after all I'm payin $800 every 6 months for insurance! I gotta get something out of it! I've never been in one accident in all my life and I ALWAYS make sure I don't touch another car whenever I opened my door! Even when I had my own $200-$1500 car! I've always respected other people's property. This guy didn't and he had a million other spots to park in and HAD to park by mine at the time it happened (when everyone was gone from work)
Old 10-18-2004 | 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by tl_soso
I ALWAYS park my TL FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR away from all the motherless idiots. And even then there is always some son of a B**** who decides to park right next to me, even though there are a trillion other widely available spots.

In short, I think you should've made a huge deal about this, I don't like the fact that people are saying "its not a big deal" - that kind of attitude is the reason why people continue to do this to our hard earned property.

I'll tell you this much, if someone did that to my TL and I was 110% positive of the person's identity, there car would not be without equal or greater damage.

Certain times, we ask for damage to our car because of where we park it and where we drive it. But if you go out of your way to avoid damage to your car, and some irresponsible waste of a human being goes out of his/her way to be ignorant and careless, then its go time.

For instance, the other day I parked my car in manhattan, its 6+ months old, 10K miles on it. I came back to it, and there is a beautiful (sarcasm) dingy on the driver's side door, and even better is that the freaking paint chipped!!!!!

Now, I should have never parked where I did, so I cannot be angry because of my negligence to park my tl in an area where morons exist a dime a dozen.

But to have to deal with this at work, or in an area where you can take extra precautions. I don't think so.

We should really go out of our way to make sure that people are responsible, not only with minor door dings, but with EVERYTHING in life.

This slap on the wrist crap has to stop. I equate someone giving you a door dingy to a crime. Seriously.

Why? Because everytime I open the door and I'm next to someone, I damn well make sure my door does not come anywhere close to touching someone else's car. I would rather make MYSELF uncomfortable and inconvenienced than to damage someone else's hard earned property.

Now I have a real nice dingy on my driver's side, and even if I used touch up paint, the very minor dent still shows. I think I'm gonna get dent wizard or something. Wish I had a pic for you guys!!!!

I know I'm extreme about this, but it pisses me off to no end when we accept irresponsible behavior from our fellow "humans."
Goodness ya'll, it's Billy the Kid and the WIld Wild West all over again....
Old 10-19-2004 | 06:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for letting us know he is Mexican. Which nationality are you?
Don't turn this into a racist debate... wah!
Old 10-19-2004 | 09:39 AM
Old timer

So were you like, "SOY UN GRINGO MUY ENOJADO, AMIGO!!"

lol

Also everyone who is all uptight about his identifying him as Mexican, just remember the world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

Anyway, that's just on your door handle. I got a shoppingcart put into the side of my passenger door at the supermarket (nice scrape & ding) even though I am careful where I park it. Careless people abound in this country. =\
Old 10-19-2004 | 11:09 AM
USC YQUE

[QUOTE=chazy777]... But if I got pissed and started bashing his car in knowing there was nothing I can do about it cause the guy didn't have insurance and sat there deliberatly lying when it couldn't have been more obvious he did that, I would've ended up in some worse situation.. (who knows maybe his 'esses' woulve done something a lot worse to my car at another time... pop the tires, graffitti the car, who knows).. I let it go...
[QUOTE]

Jeez this guy is ignorant.

Just because you self-identify the guy as "Mexican" (because, of course, all Spanish-speaking people are Mexican ) you now correlate him with having street gang ties?

Frightning indeed.
Old 10-19-2004 | 11:11 AM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by JRock
So were you like, "SOY UN GRINGO MUY ENOJADO, AMIGO!!"

lol

Also everyone who is all uptight about his identifying him as Mexican, just remember the world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

Yet another one. Indeed, very lame.
Old 10-19-2004 | 11:18 AM
USC YQUE

MODS: Would it be possible to close this thread?

It's not too far from degenerating into utter rubbish.

Cheers!
Old 10-19-2004 | 11:19 AM
Old timer

Huh?? Sorry, I didn't read through all the drama in the thread, just the topic post and the first few replies. Are you upset because I'm a Spanish-speaker who doesn't get his panties in a bunch like you are by making more out of this than there really is? Your over-reacting is no better than the topic poster and his claim of "slamming" his door "into his TL" yet it's more like a scrape on his doorhandle which is like a $20 fix. You should relax.
Old 10-19-2004 | 11:54 AM
Intermediate

I've seen bigger dings!!! Try using your nails to scrape it off...seems very minor though
Old 10-20-2004 | 03:10 PM
10th Gear

In the future, I would recommend calling a cop and getting a police report. Even if the guy admitted hitting your car, he could change his story by the time it got to anyone else. The cop might roll his eyes, but that's his job (one less doughnut).