Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mega newbie...please clear up some issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 06:39 PM
The stickiest of the icky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mega newbie...please clear up some issues

hey everybody this is my first post and after reading thru this forum i have decided it is extrmeley helpful. heres my story: dont have the TL yet...dont really have any car yet because this will be my first (i know im 16 and i shouldnt be getting a $30k car but please dont make it a big deal), and so i dont really know too much about customizing cars etc...i obviously know the basics but dont have much...really any...experience so im hoping to learn a little from you veterans. i have a few questions so just bear with me.

First- whats the deal with the tires? from what i have gathered the 2004 TL ships with very low quality bridgestones...does this have anything to do with the vibration problem i keep hearing about?

Second- have any of you guys tried putting a scoop on the hood? i think a simple one would look SICK on the TL, because if its half classy half sporty look really lends itself to a simple hood scoop. also where would you buy/get something like this installed?

Third- after checking the inside and out of the acura website i have been given the idea that the non-nav TL doesnt come with the surround sound system...if this is true, is the system in the non-nav version very crappy (i.e. needs an upgrade) or is it competent?

Fourth- does the TL come with Xenon lights (i havent seen anywhere saying that it does). people have told me that you can buy them on ebay very cheaply and install them easily...can someone please elaborate as far as finding the right kind of bulb etc.?

I guess thats it for now THANKS GUyS GREAT SITE!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I don't care about your age.

1 - The EL42's are not good tires. Some of us have replaced them at our own expense, others have convinced their dealers to do it. If you go in with a sale contingent on replacing the tires with something good, you've got leverage to get them replaced without any money from your pocket.

2 - This is the first time I've seen hood scoops mentioned outside of a joke or insult. I don't think anyone's really looked into it.

3 - Non-nav has the same sound system as the nav.

4 - It has bi-Xenon lights. No need to get others on eBay.

Mike
Old 01-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: mega newbie...please clear up some issues

Age is not the matter, the mature driving attitude and skills are the keys.

Lots of vibrations you saw over this site are almost related to their Bridgestone tires, EL42. Many other brands' cars also use this type of tires. However, Bridgestone promised Acura to design the special tires for 04TL, it comes out the worse EL42 ever. If you're worrying about the tires, you may find a dealer having the better selections.

Sound systems in Navi or Non-Navi should be exactly the same. And, Xenon headlight is the standard...
Old 01-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by svtmike
I don't care about your age.

1 - The EL42's are not good tires. Some of us have replaced them at our own expense, others have convinced their dealers to do it. If you go in with a sale contingent on replacing the tires with something good, you've got leverage to get them replaced without any money from your pocket.

2 - This is the first time I've seen hood scoops mentioned outside of a joke or insult. I don't think anyone's really looked into it.

3 - Non-nav has the same sound system as the nav.

4 - It has bi-Xenon lights. No need to get others on eBay.

Mike
Go4heat

Hello, and welcome.

The above post from Mike is on the money.

Good luck in getting a TL.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:13 PM

thx

hey thanks for the replies you guys that helps. as far as the hood scoop is concerned, do you really think its that crazy of an idea? i think the TL would look great with a scoop...i might just try it if i have any money left over after getting the actual car. could you guys tell me where they sell scoops and where you might get one installed? i have no idea what im doin and definately cant do it myself. also does anybody know where to possibly get a good deal on 04 TL lowering springs? and also where would you get those installed???

oh and also how much does the installation run for these kind of things?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Banned

As to your hood scoop question, I doubt many owners of the TL have even considered adding one. Personally, I think it should be functional rather than just cosmetic.

Secondly, I can envision problems with an actual scoop in the way of water intrusion into the engine compartment, not to mention the reduction in aerodynamics.

However, to each their own, so feel free to check the performance catalogs/websites for one you think might look good on a TL.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Renaissance Man

Hey guys, newbie here too, (but I have experience on the -CL forums and at i-club.com, so I should know what I'm talking about!)

To answer your question seriously, go4heat, you're looking at a very large expense for essentially a useless appearance enhancement. The installation and paint on something like a hood scoop will probably cost in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars or so, which is muck better spent to save for better tires and springs. This also doesn't take into account the cutting of the hood supports that is required to install the piece. Though I agree the TL might look pretty badass with a hood vent (like on an Elise), the cost is prohibitive and you're a guinea pig for the technical aspects. But hey, to each his own.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:37 PM

yea thanks guys. i love this place- quick, quality answers from knowledgeable people. you have a point, it is quite an expense and i dont really have that kind of cash especially since i wanna look into new tires if the dealership wont do it and maybe getting lowering springs. thanks a lot again
Old 01-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

seeing as how you're 16 i'd have to say that you would probably say that you'll want to upgrade the subs. of my 3 cars i've had or have, the TL is the only system that i've only had to put subs in. as far as the hood scoop, don't do it. it will look too...rice
Old 01-20-2004, 09:37 PM
10th Gear

hoodscoop? please dont do it.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Maybe a CAI in lieu of a hood scoop. Keep it hidden and they will never know what hit ‘em.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by rhalvers
Maybe a CAI in lieu of a hood scoop. Keep it hidden and they will never know what hit ‘em.
huh? a cai doesn't add that much horsepower.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Racer

go4heat,

Sounds like you want your TL, but also a bunch of mods without the extra $$$ to fund those mods. My suggestion is to:

1st) Obtain your TL, and acclimate to the car.

2nd) Save your money for whatever mod you want

And while your are saving you can seek out reputable installer.

This can be done by conversing with adults who might have had experience with a particular installer. Remember you don’t want to take your 30K+ TL to get "mods" installed by just anyone.

Regarding the hood scoop, my personal opinion is that I’d hold off on that. Springs & tires yes! Scoop
or other racer boy paraphernalia, no! But I'm 35 in 3 days so that would be a diffrence of age I guess.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:00 PM

haha yea i think i might hold off on the 'paraphernalia,' thanks for the replies!