Maximum WHP on a TL Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008 | 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Maximum WHP on a TL Type-S?

sorry if this has been posted before, but i was just curious to know, what is the maximum WHP that the 07/08 Type S can have? and what are all the mods that can do that?

currenty, im installing a AEM CAI, UR pulley, TB spacer, ATLP exhaust, J-pipe and test pipe. how much WHP should i expect from these mods?
Old 05-22-2008 | 11:53 PM
E55>>>TLS

well Blackura and stillhere both achieved 270+ whp w/ those same mods minus the test pipe and they are both 5AT
Old 05-23-2008 | 01:35 AM
I have car ADD

test pipe will probably only free up 3~ whp... so he should be near us
Old 05-23-2008 | 03:12 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

stay tuned for atlp test pipe & s/c install, cant wait to see my #'s
Old 05-23-2008 | 05:17 AM
Banned

But he has all those audio system weight to take out the whp.
Old 05-23-2008 | 07:40 AM
Instructor

what does a stock tls do on the dyno?
Old 05-23-2008 | 08:11 AM
I have car ADD

240ish
Old 05-23-2008 | 08:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
240ish
thanks!

What could one expect with throttle body spacer, CAI andid muffler remover?
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:23 AM
Racer

Wouldn't the max FWHP have a lot to do with: A-how much the transmission can handle and B-how much the axle can handle?

it looks to me like paliknight is asking how much the car could handle before things start to break (ie the tranny and front axle). I'm actually curious about this as well.
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:35 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

there's been over 450whp on the j32a2.. so i don't see why the j35 powertrain couldn't handle as much
Old 05-23-2008 | 04:23 PM
Racer

wow, a 3g Tl with 450whp. damn, if only money grew on trees.
Old 05-23-2008 | 04:50 PM
I have car ADD

lol. no, no 3G TL with 450whp... impossible.. especially on these drive train components

Sean (04AccordCpe) is runnign the J32A3, and i think he was in the 350's... but paired with a 6spd...

Best of the 3G TL's, is like 320-330whp... Actros, Bklynpanman, maybe dan....k (dont remember) and a few others... but those are 3.2L TL's

if they ever s/c the tl-s, expect about 360-370whp max
Old 05-25-2008 | 04:18 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
lol. no, no 3G TL with 450whp... impossible.. especially on these drive train components

Sean (04AccordCpe) is runnign the J32A3, and i think he was in the 350's... but paired with a 6spd...

Best of the 3G TL's, is like 320-330whp... Actros, Bklynpanman, maybe dan....k (dont remember) and a few others... but those are 3.2L TL's

if they ever s/c the tl-s, expect about 360-370whp max
I believe that with a refash the j32 can push way over 320
Old 05-25-2008 | 04:19 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by elkayem
But he has all those audio system weight to take out the whp.
u talking about my setup, all of the setup in the trunk was custom fabbed in order to reduce weight and when I go to the trak i will be removing syestem, rear seats, pass seat and much more...
Old 05-25-2008 | 05:47 PM
Racer

Here is my opinion and I am sure 99% of AZ will disagree with me:

AEM CAI = zero but possibly 2 HP above 5000 RPM with the hood up and a cold fan during dyno run.

Resonators are used to increase low end torque so when you take it off you lose low end for the sake of minimal high end gains.

UR pulley = zero.

Use some common sense. The crank is driving 2 48 Lb wheels through a transmission that has at least 10 lbs in gears and a final drive with anther 10 lbs worth of gears. Also dont forget the pistons and connecting rods, which have another 20 lbs in rotating mass. Do you really think 4 lbs in rotating mass is going to make a difference in light of all the rotating mass in the drivetrain? Also, the reason the OEM pulley is heavy is because it is used to dampen harmonic vibration. That is why people who use these pulleys report vibrations around 4000 RPM. When you change an engine component and you feel a vibration that should be a big hint that something is wrong.

TB spacer = zero.

Why would this increase horsepower? You have an OEM intake which is already almost 5 feet long from opening to the throttle body. Then people shorten it using a CAI then make it a few inches longer with a TB spacer. Makes no sense and I have yet to see a dyno that confirms this mod makes power.

ATLP exhaust = maybe 2 HP all over 5000 RPM.

The Type S already has high flow cats and a high flow exhaust. Also when you free flow the exhaust you lose low end torque.

J-pipe and test pipe = maybe 5 HP all over 5000 RPM at the expense of low end.

With the j-pipe and test pipe I also noticed a serious decrease in gas mileage in the city (16 v 18) but my highway mileage went up (31 to 32). I am considering putting the cat back on because that is when my city mileage took a huge drop.

I have tried all of these mods except for the ATLP exhaust and with the exception of the J-pipe, none have increased the performance by any significant degree. In fact, when I took of my CAI I gained about 1/10th of a second in the quarter and my gas mileage went up.

With respect to all of these mods, I have yet to see someone post a before and after dyno done on the same day and under the same conditions (and with the hood down and no fan). And the dyno tests I have seen show minimal gains below 5000 RPM, making most of these mods worthless for everyday use.
Old 05-25-2008 | 06:19 PM
E55>>>TLS

Originally Posted by flydog

AEM CAI = zero but possibly 2 HP above 5000 RPM with the hood up and a cold fan during dyno run.

Resonators are used to increase low end torque so when you take it off you lose low end for the sake of minimal high end gains.

UR pulley = zero.

Use some common sense. The crank is driving 2 48 Lb wheels through a transmission that has at least 10 lbs in gears and a final drive with anther 10 lbs worth of gears. Also dont forget the pistons and connecting rods, which have another 20 lbs in rotating mass. Do you really think 4 lbs in rotating mass is going to make a difference in light of all the rotating mass in the drivetrain? Also, the reason the OEM pulley is heavy is because it is used to dampen harmonic vibration. That is why people who use these pulleys report vibrations around 4000 RPM. When you change an engine component and you feel a vibration that should be a big hint that something is wrong.

TB spacer = zero.

Why would this increase horsepower? You have an OEM intake which is already almost 5 feet long from opening to the throttle body. Then people shorten it using a CAI then make it a few inches longer with a TB spacer. Makes no sense and I have yet to see a dyno that confirms this mod makes power.

The Type S already has high flow cats and a high flow exhaust. Also when you free flow the exhaust you lose low end torque.

With the j-pipe and test pipe I also noticed a serious decrease in gas mileage in the city (16 v 18) but my highway mileage went up (31 to 32). I am considering putting the cat back on because that is when my city mileage took a huge drop.

I have tried all of these mods except for the ATLP exhaust and with the exception of the J-pipe, none have increased the performance by any significant degree. In fact, when I took of my CAI I gained about 1/10th of a second in the quarter and my gas mileage went up.

With respect to all of these mods, I have yet to see someone post a before and after dyno done on the same day and under the same conditions (and with the hood down and no fan). And the dyno tests I have seen show minimal gains below 5000 RPM, making most of these mods worthless for everyday use.
so you are saying that those mods give a total of 7 whp correct? if a 5AT type s dyno's at like 240-245 whp stock and two azine members dynoed at 270+ w/ the mods you listed, then where did the extra 23 whp come from?
Old 05-25-2008 | 07:33 PM
I have car ADD

i gotta disagree.... sorry man...

P2R Spacer.... Josh @ Excelerate produced before/after dynos.... around 5whp 9wtq for a TL 6MT

ATLP J-Pipe .... Mike produced a dyno showing around 7 whp and 12 wtq increase, on a TL 6MT

ATLP Exhaust... Mike produced a dyno showing around 11 whp and 9wtq increase, on a TL-S 6MT

AEM CAI, not sure about dyno, but good for at least 4 - 5whp....

UR Pulley... probably no whp gains

of course in conjuction, the #'s wont all add up evenly and mathmatically to show whp #'s.... but be sure they do increase power. i dont think these vendors would supply us with "phony" dyno's.... plus... my car is dyno'ing around 273whp.... where as stock dynos do show the TL-S, around 240whp... so i've gain 33whp from my extensive list of mods... and others will agree too, these mod's do increase wheel horsepower and torque
Old 05-25-2008 | 08:25 PM
Instructor

Blackura, have you ran your car at the track to see what it can do?
Old 05-25-2008 | 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

UR pulley = zero.

TB spacer = zero.

1. Resonators are used to reduce cabin drone and decibal levels, not to "increase low end torque".

2. I have "0" vibration with my UR crank pulley at any rpm; still smooth as glass in any gear, any rpm. The real reason the stock pulley is steel as opposed to lightweight aluminum, on an internally balanced engine, is purely cost related. BTW, the difference is more than 4 lbs. and yes, even one pound will make a miniscule difference in what makes it to the drive wheels.

3. I am scratching my head as to why you think every exhaust mod stifles your car's torque output.
Old 05-25-2008 | 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's a dyno sheet of a 5AT TL with Excelerate/Billy Boat exhaust. Look at the torque increase between 2.6 and 3.6k, where it's going to be usable in everyday driving. In fact, torque is increased throughout the entire rev range, whereas it doesn't make much extra horsepower until north of 5k.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...3&page=3&pp=40
Old 05-25-2008 | 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

UR pulley = zero.

TB spacer = zero.

So, by this rationale, the car would be the fastest stock, since you don't have all those extra mods that don't make any performance difference?

It's a bit of a misnomer to say that free flowing the exhaust loses low end torque. Plus, even if it did, which is does not, barring having the ports directly open, what you could potentially lose in the low end would be made up for in high end hp.

Not sure about you, but when I am getting my car to go the fastest, it's above 5K, not below 3K, where your low end torque would be. Throw in VTEC which adjusts cam timing for low end torque, and it keeps 200 ft lbs from 2600 to over 6K, I know I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit for some more power on top.
Old 05-25-2008 | 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

well, overall, the posts have answered most of my questions lol, but the main question i had was, what is the maximum whp a TL-S can have with ALL possible mods? im not saying i will do all the mods possible, but im just curious. and ofcourse, the car would still be functioning normally.
Old 05-26-2008 | 12:27 AM
Suzuka Master

You pretty much listed all the commercially available bolt-ons as being on your list to install, except for the primary cat deletes. So figure 270ish (+15 for 6MT) plus whatever the cat deletes are good for. They haven't been installed/dynoed yet on a Type-S, so one can only speculate.
Old 05-26-2008 | 12:36 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I QUIT... flydogg... I've got 4k+ into my car... what next... procats = zero gains...

alot of the mods you've discredited = better throttle response... my car was a slug before I installed exhaust... can you explain that?