March End - April 2008 TLS Deals

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:43 PM
Advanced

Exclamation March End - April 2008 TLS Deals

Hi All
I am a new member here. I have been visiting this site for over 6 months now. I learn`t a lot from reading the various threads around here and I am impressed at the amount of knowledge of each of the members here.

Guys I am looking for a NBP or WDP 2008 Tl S 6 Speed(MT). I just lately noticed the 0.9 APR for upto 48 months on the TL`s. What price is right...?? I am also wondering on how I should approach the dealership... Walk in or Internet...?? Any negotiating tips would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for all your help in advance

Btw I currently drive a civic ex with navi, which I am looking to trade
Old 03-30-2008 | 12:54 PM
Instructor

good luck man... there are no 6MT TLS in my area at all
Old 03-30-2008 | 01:02 PM
Team Owner

If you're willing to drive a bit, I just got a phenomenal deal (as in well under invoice) on a TL-S here in VA. You're not that far away and I suspect that for the price, it might be worth the trip down here.
Old 03-30-2008 | 04:45 PM
I make Boom Boom in

Dude, definitely do your haggling over the internet. That way you don't feel pressured to buy and you can make the dealers compete for your business. I'm here in Austin and was over at Sterling Acura and they had a ton of 08 TLs on the lot. I mean their whole back lot was filled with them.

I just recently made a purchase. I looked at the MDX and the TSX and the Honda S2000. I did all my pricing online and finally decided to go with a used 04 S2000 for a killer price eventhough Acura offered to sell me an 08 TSX for invoice.

Go to the dealership to test drive only and do your haggling over the internet.

(Invoice Price - Rebates - Holdback) = Dealer's Cost

So if the dealer is selling to you at invoice, they still make money.
Old 03-30-2008 | 07:23 PM
Instructor

BTW, I'm in Canada but I was told the production of Type-S has stopped. Whatever on the ground are all the Type-S left.

Is that dealer BS, I don't know. But I don't doubt it as new TL is only 5 months away.
Old 03-30-2008 | 08:35 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by txathlete
Dude, definitely do your haggling over the internet. That way you don't feel pressured to buy and you can make the dealers compete for your business. I'm here in Austin and was over at Sterling Acura and they had a ton of 08 TLs on the lot. I mean their whole back lot was filled with them.

I just recently made a purchase. I looked at the MDX and the TSX and the Honda S2000. I did all my pricing online and finally decided to go with a used 04 S2000 for a killer price eventhough Acura offered to sell me an 08 TSX for invoice.

Go to the dealership to test drive only and do your haggling over the internet.

(Invoice Price - Rebates - Holdback) = Dealer's Cost

So if the dealer is selling to you at invoice, they still make money.

Many experts recommend against this method. See www.fightingchance.com/ and www.carbuyingtips.com.

I personally spoke to the owner of fightingchance.com two years ago when I bought my car. He warned me to never do quotes through dealer websites via emails. I didn't tell him that I had tried it, but he was 100% correct in telling me that the offers would be sub par. Dealing with car dealers on a one-on-one basis is a disadvantage to you, whether it's in person or over the internet.

The guy also told me that the best prices on cars would be in the Los Angeles area (I'm in San Diego). When the quotes came through he was spot on. The point is that his career is to study the market and the methods to buy cars. He's damn good at it too.

The method I used was faxing letters to each dealership stating what I wanted, and that I was faxing that letter to multiple dealerships. Anyone that replied to me with a competitive quote would be notified of my lowest offer and given the chance to beat it. About 30% of the dealers I faxed replied, and I got my car for ~1800 under invoice.

The point is that in one case you are haggling with a single or possible 2-3 dealerships via email. In the other case you are allowing the dealerships to compete with each other.

If you find someone in your area that will offer you the bare bones over the net, I'd be surprised.
Old 03-30-2008 | 10:31 PM
8th Gear

I went to Radley Acura in NOVA, i bought my 08 TL Type S for $34k (w/o the fees) out the door. my guy there was great.
Old 03-30-2008 | 10:42 PM
I make Boom Boom in

Originally Posted by Mongchubongchai
Many experts recommend against this method. See www.fightingchance.com/ and www.carbuyingtips.com.

I personally spoke to the owner of fightingchance.com two years ago when I bought my car. He warned me to never do quotes through dealer websites via emails. I didn't tell him that I had tried it, but he was 100% correct in telling me that the offers would be sub par. Dealing with car dealers on a one-on-one basis is a disadvantage to you, whether it's in person or over the internet.

The guy also told me that the best prices on cars would be in the Los Angeles area (I'm in San Diego). When the quotes came through he was spot on. The point is that his career is to study the market and the methods to buy cars. He's damn good at it too.

The method I used was faxing letters to each dealership stating what I wanted, and that I was faxing that letter to multiple dealerships. Anyone that replied to me with a competitive quote would be notified of my lowest offer and given the chance to beat it. About 30% of the dealers I faxed replied, and I got my car for ~1800 under invoice.

The point is that in one case you are haggling with a single or possible 2-3 dealerships via email. In the other case you are allowing the dealerships to compete with each other.

If you find someone in your area that will offer you the bare bones over the net, I'd be surprised.
I don't really see the problem (email and fax is the same thing practically). carbuyingtips.com had a section for "buying cars online." All I do is go to that website or edmunds, kbb, or etc.. and fill out their form for what I want and the price I want and wait for the offers to come in. I already know what I am willing to pay and I just use the quotes the dealers give me to drive the price down even lower until I get a dealer who meets or beats my figure. After that I get the winning dealer to email me a firm offer so when I get to the dealership all I have to do is sign papers and leave with my new car. Simple and doesn't require me to haggle my day away to get a great deal and there is no pressure to buy "now."

My first TSX was done this way and I was out-the-door at $25.4K.

It doesn't matter what method you use, as long as you are educated about your vehicle, your finances, your negotiation skills, and the value you place on your time.
Old 03-31-2008 | 09:44 AM
Advanced

The bad part of going through the internet is some dealers choose to call u instead of E-mailing back to you... It drives me nuts. Some start sending you their e-news, Deals, spam every 2 weeks...

Anyway I read the Advise at www.fightingchance.com/ and www.carbuyingtips.com.
Thanks for sharing that. I will e-mail all the dealers in my area and lets see what response I get...

Pls continue to share your tips and things I should watch out for or be aware of before the purchase.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:29 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
If you're willing to drive a bit, I just got a phenomenal deal (as in well under invoice) on a TL-S here in VA. You're not that far away and I suspect that for the price, it might be worth the trip down here.
How do you like TL-S comparing to the TSX. I am looking at buying the TL-S and would like a comp from fellow TSX driver.
Old 03-31-2008 | 02:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by odessa
How do you like TL-S comparing to the TSX. I am looking at buying the TL-S and would like a comp from fellow TSX driver.
Proper review to be coming once I get through break-in (about 2/3rds of the way through right now), but there are definitely things I like about the TL-S more than the TSX and there are definitely things about the TSX that I miss.

Cannot argue that the TL-S is a substantially more powerful car. Even though I am still in break-in, I can already sense the difference in the lower RPMs. Handling is surprisingly good, especially given the added weight. Steering feel is firmer and more Germanic that the TSX.

I do really miss the fold down seats and the fleet-footed handling that the TSX had. TL-S has more ultimate grip and hides its heft pretty well, but definitely carries more weight than the TSX and is not as sharp in quick back and forth transitions.

One of my favorite details of the TL-S is the all red lighting of the interior. Uniform lighting is a really nice touch. Very pleasant at nice and easy on the eyes.
Old 03-31-2008 | 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

What kind of price are people getting for a regular TL? I'm looking for one with nav, auto, black. What's the final negotiated price difference of a TL vs. a TL-S?
Old 03-31-2008 | 07:52 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by txathlete
I don't really see the problem (email and fax is the same thing practically). carbuyingtips.com had a section for "buying cars online." All I do is go to that website or edmunds, kbb, or etc.. and fill out their form for what I want and the price I want and wait for the offers to come in. I already know what I am willing to pay and I just use the quotes the dealers give me to drive the price down even lower until I get a dealer who meets or beats my figure. After that I get the winning dealer to email me a firm offer so when I get to the dealership all I have to do is sign papers and leave with my new car. Simple and doesn't require me to haggle my day away to get a great deal and there is no pressure to buy "now."

My first TSX was done this way and I was out-the-door at $25.4K.

It doesn't matter what method you use, as long as you are educated about your vehicle, your finances, your negotiation skills, and the value you place on your time.

You're absolutely right, email is a lot like faxing. The guy from fightingchance.com gave me a few pieces of advice relating to getting website quotes:

1) the dealerships often put their junior salesmen on that duty, and they have less ability to give the real deals

2) faxing a letter allows you more freedom in what you say to the dealership, rather than filling in their website form

In the end, either method works when you're educated and when you -know- the current factory to dealer incentives. If you don't know those incentives for absolute sure, it's foolish to give them any idea of what you are willing to pay. It's their duty to come up with a number and provide it to you. If you hand them a number that's higher than bare bones, you've shot yourself in the foot. In actuallity, I got below what I calculated to be the "cost of the car" (invoice - holdback - factory to dealer incentives). So letting the dealerships compete worked out nicely for me.

I liked the fax method because I put 30 phone numbers into a fax machine and pressed scan/fax and I was done. Emailing 30 dealers would take forever. Although I admit you probably need less than 1/3rd that to get the price you want.

Do what works for you, just be educated. And like txathlete said, avoid face to face bargaining.
Old 03-31-2008 | 08:40 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Proper review to be coming once I get through break-in (about 2/3rds of the way through right now), but there are definitely things I like about the TL-S more than the TSX and there are definitely things about the TSX that I miss.

Cannot argue that the TL-S is a substantially more powerful car. Even though I am still in break-in, I can already sense the difference in the lower RPMs. Handling is surprisingly good, especially given the added weight. Steering feel is firmer and more Germanic that the TSX.

I do really miss the fold down seats and the fleet-footed handling that the TSX had. TL-S has more ultimate grip and hides its heft pretty well, but definitely carries more weight than the TSX and is not as sharp in quick back and forth transitions.

One of my favorite details of the TL-S is the all red lighting of the interior. Uniform lighting is a really nice touch. Very pleasant at nice and easy on the eyes.
Thanks for your response, I'll look forward to your review.
One thing that is meh for me is the red lighting, I like the blue/green one.
Old 04-03-2008 | 11:42 AM
Advanced

Update 04/03/08

Hi Guys after going back and forth with many dealers online... I negotiated the best price I could $ 33,489 With destination, add TAX and Title. Its 2008 TL Type S 6MT.

Please let me know if its a good deal and if there is anything I should watch out for before booking and buying process

Thanks again for all your help guys...
Old 04-03-2008 | 01:05 PM
08' WDP Type S

Congrats! Is that with the cashback or the .9/2.9% financing?
Old 04-03-2008 | 01:09 PM
Advanced

Nope they could not offer me both...!! So I decided to go with 3.9% Apr from my Credit union.

Hey Rob did u get the cash back and low Apr with your purchase...??
Old 04-03-2008 | 01:14 PM
08' WDP Type S

Originally Posted by John06
Nope they could not offer me both...!! So I decided to go with 3.9% Apr from my Credit union.

Hey Rob did u get the cash back and low Apr with your purchase...??
No, like you said they could not offer both, so I took the 2.9% from them because my credit union was being stingy. That said, I still got an excellent price.

And wow do I love that car!!!!!
Old 04-03-2008 | 01:21 PM
08' WDP Type S

Did you get WDP as well!? Excellent choice if so!
Old 04-03-2008 | 02:28 PM
Advanced

Great....!!! If u don`t mind can u share @ what price you got the car with destination.

I was leaning towards NBP, Coz of the color difference problem with WDP... They both are excellent never the less.
Old 04-03-2008 | 11:56 PM
Instructor

Hi Guys after going back and forth with many dealers online... I negotiated the best price I could $ 33,489 With destination, add TAX and Title. Its 2008 TL Type S 6MT.

Please let me know if its a good deal and if there is anything I should watch out for before booking and buying process

Thanks again for all your help guys...
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but the invoice on this car is $35,117. If you didn't take the cash back, you really want me to believe the dealer sold this car to you for almost 2K under invoice?
Old 04-04-2008 | 12:10 AM
8th Gear

i recently purchased my 08 TL Type S for $34k out the door and that is with all the tax and fees. the guy offered me a great deal and i took it. this happened in VA
Old 04-04-2008 | 02:07 AM
Advanced

Jam3s1ee, That sounds like a great deal. What was the breakdown on total vehicle price, vehicle price/destination/tax/tags/license/documentation fee for total otd price. Yours looks like the deal to shoot for. Congrats!

Originally Posted by jam3s1ee
i recently purchased my 08 TL Type S for $34k out the door and that is with all the tax and fees. the guy offered me a great deal and i took it. this happened in VA
Old 04-04-2008 | 08:22 AM
2nd Gear

I also just purchased a TL-S 5A last week for $33,885, plus ttt and dealer fee.
I e-mailed 3-4 dealers for a price quote and 2 of them quoted me the $33,885 price. The only difference bwtween the two was the amount they were giving me for my trade in.

I had to use my CU for financing.
Old 04-04-2008 | 09:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but the invoice on this car is $35,117. If you didn't take the cash back, you really want me to believe the dealer sold this car to you for almost 2K under invoice?
i bought my 07 Type s for 32,900 before tt....thats a few grand under invoice...
Old 05-14-2008 | 07:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received This Flyer - FYI

Just in case anyone might find it useful, I recieved a flyer today from a regional dealer with the following "deal":

$34,440 - MSRP
+ $399 - Splash Guards, Trunk Tray, Wheel Locks

= $34,839 - Total MSRP
- $4,851 - Dealer Cash

= $29, 988 - Before TTL.

Don't know if that's good, great or bad.

Just FYI
Old 05-14-2008 | 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

29988 for TL-S?
Old 05-14-2008 | 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Can't be- look at the MSRP
Old 05-14-2008 | 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

yes, its the base model w/ destination charge included. fyi, that's not a good price in cali.
Old 05-15-2008 | 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

I paid $32,328 before tax, title and tags. I was a walk-in, no online haggling. My sales person WAS the online says guy. He was young, around 24 I think. Great sales person. I told him what I would not go over as far as a monthly payment and after juggling some numbers was able to get it. Another guy was there and he was dealing online. He got his TL-S for $32,900.
Old 05-15-2008 | 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mongchubongchai
I liked the fax method because I put 30 phone numbers into a fax machine and pressed scan/fax and I was done. Emailing 30 dealers would take forever. Although I admit you probably need less than 1/3rd that to get the price you want.
Couldn't you put 30 email addresses into one outgoing email? That would be the same as 30 numbers for faxes. Then the dealers see that they are actually competing for your business.
Old 05-15-2008 | 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Also, best time to deal is near the end of the month. Sales persons are trying to meet monthly quotas.
Old 05-15-2008 | 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Couldn't you put 30 email addresses into one outgoing email? That would be the same as 30 numbers for faxes. Then the dealers see that they are actually competing for your business.
And if you wanted to not show them who else you were dealing with but just tell them within the email that you were talking to other dealers, you could use BCC.
Old 05-15-2008 | 10:36 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

the 6speeds are def. disappearing fast..we havent had one at my dealer in forever, lol sucks i dotn get to drive them around now
Old 05-15-2008 | 10:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dmassott
the 6speeds are def. disappearing fast..we havent had one at my dealer in forever, lol sucks i dotn get to drive them around now
I was at my dealership this past weekend and one of the sales guys was telling me that when I'm ready to trade my 05 MT in, it'll go in about a week because they're so scarce.
Old 05-15-2008 | 02:52 PM
Racer

I bought my 08 TLS 6MT in Thousand Oaks CA because there were only 4 left in socal. I Wanted to wait till the end of the month but I was worried that there wouldn't be any left.

still got a pretty decent deal 36k OTD, although not the best compared to some of what people are getting theirs at.

John06: Congrats on the new purchase if you go through with it.
Old 05-15-2008 | 09:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Neogeek
I bought my 08 TLS 6MT in Thousand Oaks CA because there were only 4 left in socal. I Wanted to wait till the end of the month but I was worried that there wouldn't be any left.

still got a pretty decent deal 36k OTD, although not the best compared to some of what people are getting theirs at.

John06: Congrats on the new purchase if you go through with it.

Congrats Neo... I got my car on the 30th of April for about 35000 OTD... N Im loving the 6 SPD... lol... Hope u enjoy yours as well
Old 05-15-2008 | 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by legionofdoom
I was at my dealership this past weekend and one of the sales guys was telling me that when I'm ready to trade my 05 MT in, it'll go in about a week because they're so scarce.
thats wierd when i tried to trade in my 05 manual trans they said they wouldnt get anything for it because noone wants them, i guess there just low balling me.
Old 05-16-2008 | 06:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by legionofdoom
And if you wanted to not show them who else you were dealing with but just tell them within the email that you were talking to other dealers, you could use BCC.
True. Good point
Old 05-16-2008 | 06:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Congrats Neo... I got my car on the 30th of April for about 35000 OTD... N Im loving the 6 SPD... lol... Hope u enjoy yours as well
Congrats on your new purchase!! Gotta love these TL-S's

Quick Reply: March End - April 2008 TLS Deals