Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual vs. Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Is the 6MT quicker? Not by much. I know I have more HP, but Acura now has a HP "robber" built into the ECU to minimize torque steer in first and second gear in the 6MT
You have forgot all about the VSA control to turn off. Turn that OFF and try it. The VSA will cut down upto 25% of power out of 1st and 2nd gear on the 6MT version.

It's like you're pushing the gas pedal about half way instead of flooring it. That's not a fair comparison between the 6MT and 5AT. You want the best out of 6MT? You disable that VSA.

Yes, the Regular TL 6MT is faster than the TL TYPE-S 5AT in both 0-60 and 0-150(152). The 5AT version also suffers accelerating starting at 111 mph. The 6MT will just keep going due to super tight gear ratios. Every gear has more power to it and very gradual. The 5AT isn't. It only shines upto 3rd gear and that's it...

Suspension/ handling comparison will be tough between the Regular 6MT and Type-S 5AT but the Regular 6MT does have tighter and firmer handling than the regular TL 5AT. The 6MT uses stiffer shocks and thicker anti-roll bar... Not only the 6mt is equipped with Brembo brake systems but also the discs are larger.

Ya wanna get sporty and some performance get the 6MT.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

One day I had most amazing acceleration out of my 6MT on the state road going from 0- 90+. The damn thing took off like an Lexus IS350..... I didn't time it but it felt like sub 14 sec quarter mile car... It was just the right time and perfect shifting/clutching I had performed. That moment was great. Yikkkeeessss...

Spec: '06 TL 6MT
Less than quarter tank of gas
139 lb driver's weight
Car's weight: 3487 lbs (lightest in the entire TL/TL-S class)

It's not just close gear ratios and with extra gear but the car is also the lightest.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Banned

I know this video has been posted a few times before but I say some other folks have not seen it yet. You might want to watch it.

TL Type-S 6MT in action

http://www.xanga.com/TL_Type_S

Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiritman
Yes,Yes,Yes. Much more fun! It's faster to get off the line & faster to stop! Better brakes,etc. It's the ONLY way to goooooooo.
Almost there!.. you forgot to say a slightly better handling. The 6MT has sport tuned suspension, not the same as the 5AT version. but yea, I agree with you everything else.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
The auto does drive beautifully and in Sport mode it does shift very quick.
The amateur Schumachers may disagree, but today's automatics with Sport modes shift as quick, and in some cases quicker, than a manual.
Of course the Sportshift shifts the gears quicker but what good is it when there is no pull!!! That is what I have been talking about in this entire thread! The Sportshift is a joke. It does not give you more power. It's nothing better than an AUTO when accelerating in the straights. The Sportshift is the last thing to come. It is used just for fun, to toy around with.

Manual Transmission puts the most power to the wheels. The physics don't lie....

Especially the TL cars do not benefit from AUTO in acceleration because of the poor gearing. The Sportshift doesn't add power, doesn't add gear. The physical tranny only has 5 gears!!!.. and it's lonnnnnnnnnng too! you need to add another 200 HP to start making good use of this long gear ratios. 258 and 283 HP is not enough to benefit with this 5spd AUTO gearing!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
supercharge dat baby
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
not only does the sportshift mode NOT shift quicker, but in some cases, it wont upshift until it thinks it needs to upshift...which keeps you from being able to short shift the car...
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I REALLY wish I had the 6 speed manual...REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish...
Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i have an auto..how hard would it be to swap?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:27 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I have a feeling that THIS will be the thread in which the auto vs manual debate will finally be settled.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeteThaPitbull
yea i have an auto..how hard would it be to swap?
Probably not worth the swap.

I was considering installing the G35 6MT (same as 350Z 6MT) in the larger M35/45s. Would run at least 4-5 grand (from the shops I contacted).

You would be better off trading it in, for a 6MT at your dealer. Shop around..
Old 02-29-2008, 04:49 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Coming back to this thread since my dyno number comment from earlier was fairly ignored

This is the order of prefference for those who want the lux speed package

1. Manual TL-S
2. Auto TL-S
3. Manual TL-P
4. Auto TL-P

You see if you tes drive number 1 and 4 back to back 1 will surely impress you... night and day indeed... But the driving experience between 2 and 3 is more like morning and afternoon

I live in the city by my location you can see I am usually in traffic... The manual is a pain and clutch life is deteriorated prematurely (main reason why I wasn't gun-ho about the stick)... And there is also the problem of finding or waiting for your dealer to get the manual in the color and leather color you want...

Me.. I've already modded the auto TL-S as much as I presently can (without going broke)... And I don't like the ss mode because it is sloppy... I drove a loaner tsx... In ss mode the entire time... The extra rpms before redline (7k compared to 6700) do make a big difference as 3rd is used for longer...

In summary what I am trying to say is if you are a diehard manual driver (as I am)... A tl with a stock clutch just doesn't do the manual driving experience justice

On the other hand if you updgrade the clutch so that the pedal is stiffer and allows for both quick release and hard shifts... Then it works

As a second car... I am pondering an S2000 (love the aftermarket for this car) or an Evo (ridiculous aftermarket)... Leaning more towards the honda loyalty
Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 AM
Burning Brakes

As a second car... I am pondering an S2000 (love the aftermarket for this car) or an Evo (ridiculous aftermarket)... Leaning more towards the honda loyalty[/QUOTE]

The S2000 is an awesome car. When I attended the MidOhio School a few months ago, they let us take a short lap individually, and then allowed each of us to take a full lap with an instructor. That sucker has some unreal limits
I don't like convertibles, or else I would have bought one.
With just the wifey and me at home, it would be perfect

As to aftermarket, I've read about attempts to improve on the original platform, but most are lots of money for little gain.
Check out the Club Racer model.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:11 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
I don't like convertibles, or else I would have bought one.
who said anything about convertible... mugen cf top for me
Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
Of course the Sportshift shifts the gears quicker but what good is it when there is no pull!!! That is what I have been talking about in this entire thread! The Sportshift is a joke. It does not give you more power. It's nothing better than an AUTO when accelerating in the straights. The Sportshift is the last thing to come. It is used just for fun, to toy around with.

Manual Transmission puts the most power to the wheels. The physics don't lie....

Especially the TL cars do not benefit from AUTO in acceleration because of the poor gearing. The Sportshift doesn't add power, doesn't add gear. The physical tranny only has 5 gears!!!.. and it's lonnnnnnnnnng too! you need to add another 200 HP to start making good use of this long gear ratios. 258 and 283 HP is not enough to benefit with this 5spd AUTO gearing!!!

Easy Killer....Never said that the Auto provides more power or another gear...all I said was that Sportshift will shift gears as fast or faster than someone manually shfting the gears themselves. And in the end it all comes down to personal preference. The End.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by playa4real
i wish i had a manual
Your post and Smiley sounds like the majority of those who didn't get the car with Navigation now wishing they had.

FWIW, if you don't have to drive in LA freeway like traffic all the time, 6MT is the only way to go.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Drooling over the 3G TL.

Reading this thread makes me feel the same way about my car as the first time I drove it. I love this forum.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Advanced

You have forgot all about the VSA control to turn off. Turn that OFF and try it. The VSA will cut down upto 25% of power out of 1st and 2nd gear on the 6MT version.

It's like you're pushing the gas pedal about half way instead of flooring it. That's not a fair comparison between the 6MT and 5AT. You want the best out of 6MT? You disable that VSA.

Yes, the Regular TL 6MT is faster than the TL TYPE-S 5AT in both 0-60 and 0-150(152). The 5AT version also suffers accelerating starting at 111 mph. The 6MT will just keep going due to super tight gear ratios. Every gear has more power to it and very gradual. The 5AT isn't. It only shines upto 3rd gear and that's it...

Suspension/ handling comparison will be tough between the Regular 6MT and Type-S 5AT but the Regular 6MT does have tighter and firmer handling than the regular TL 5AT. The 6MT uses stiffer shocks and thicker anti-roll bar... Not only the 6mt is equipped with Brembo brake systems but also the discs are larger.

my 04 6mt is faster than a new 08 tls auto? I am not arguing with you as it benefits me, but what is your proof?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by ngg19
my 04 6mt is faster than a new 08 tls auto? I am not arguing with you as it benefits me, but what is your proof?
I would say no, not quite as fast, but with a few bolt ons I'd bet a base 6MT would edge out a Type S 5AT.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

You don't need bolt ons on the Regular 6MT to edge out the '08 TL Type-S AUTO. The stock factory regular 6MT will beat the TYPE-S 5AT in the acceleration.

The Regular 6MT is capable of reaching 0-60 in 5.7 sec. The Type-S 5AT runs around 5.9 sec. The regular 6MT is almost dead even with the Type-S 6MT in the quarter mile, in the area of 14.1~ 14.2 sec @ 99 ~ 101 mph. Both cars have about the same number. I have never seen in my life a stock TL TYPE-S 5AT getting 14.1 sec @ 100 mph. That is impossible unless you take the car in the down hill. There is just no way, unless you add bolt-on's on the Type-S 5AT to match the regular 6MT...

Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned

The TYPE-S 5AT is really hurting because of its massive increase in weight and tall gear ratios. Same goes for the regular AUTO version. Lexus IS350 for example does very good in acceleration because it's equipped with 6spd AUTO tranny and the gears are closer together. Don't get in the hype that your TYPE-S is fast because it's TYPE-S. The limiting factor is your gear ratios and having only 5 speed, also the car's weight increase of nearly 200 lbs. A few extra horsepower and torque on the TYPE-S AT isn't enough to compensate. You need something like 50 hp and 50 ft-lb torque increase to stay with the regular 6MT.... The only good competitions are the TYPE-S 6MT and the Regular 6MT...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What exactly is the point of this thread? Yes the 6mt is faster than the 5at, and if you don't know that your a dumbass........

But, I have always believed that the 6mt doesn't belong in any vehicle except sports cars and Semi's, and we don't have a sports car. It just makes me laugh sometimes when people are talking numbers so seriously about a "family" sedan.

Get over it guys, follow your midlife crisis and go get a Corvette or something
Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

It's a Sports Sedan.

The TL design is nice, and sporty. If it's a family sedan it wouldn't use such suspension system. The TYPE-S AT, MT, and Regular MT all have stiff and firm ride.

I think the family sedans more belong to cars like Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac CTS, Chevy Malibu, Ford Five Hundred, etc.. These cars have less responsive suspension, giving softer ride. Lincoln Towncar is another great example, soft soft ride, and very comfortable. The TL cars are more in the class of Sport Sedan. These cars will handle a lot better in the twisties and turns. The lap time posted in the link above shows how serious the TL Type-S 6MT performs. It required a 500 HP Shelby GT 500 6MT to beat the TL Type-S 6MT in that same track. The skid pad lateral G performance is at .93g on the Type-S 6MT. That is far, far better than the BMW 335i, Infiniti G35 Sport 6MT, Lexus IS350, and so on. Oh yeah, I heard someone reported that the TL Type-S 6MT completely destroyed the Nissan 350Z in the same track by over 3 sec... I wouldn't exactly call this a family sedan.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:51 AM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by lembowski
What exactly is the point of this thread? Yes the 6mt is faster than the 5at, and if you don't know that your a dumbass........

But, I have always believed that the 6mt doesn't belong in any vehicle except sports cars and Semi's, and we don't have a sports car. It just makes me laugh sometimes when people are talking numbers so seriously about a "family" sedan.

Man, for most people here with MT, it's not about being so much faster than the AT. It's about more control, and the fact that it's more engaging to drive an MT than an AT. The fact that it feels, and is, quicker is just icing on the cake.

On a side note, my first car had manumatic gear box, and when I switched over to MT, I became a better, more attentive driver. Hard to explain, but you pay more attention to everything when you are driving a stick. For me, anyway.

Also, some of my friends have and prefer stick even in SUV's and small trucks, a Pathfinder, for instance...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ndx2
Man, for most people here with MT, it's not about being so much faster than the AT. It's about more control, and the fact that it's more engaging to drive an MT than an AT. The fact that it feels, and is, quicker is just icing on the cake.

On a side note, my first car had manumatic gear box, and when I switched over to MT, I became a better, more attentive driver. Hard to explain, but you pay more attention to everything when you are driving a stick. For me, anyway.

Also, some of my friends have and prefer stick even in SUV's and small trucks, a Pathfinder, for instance...
Very true. I feel the same way.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

So I suppose 3-series Bimmers and Audi sedans and the CTS-S and CTS-V Cadillac and a bunch of other 'like' cars shouldn't have manual transmissions (Mustangs are safe because they only have 5-speed manuals).

Incidently, the TL's classification is Performance Sports Sedan.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:09 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

i like AUTO since MAJORITY of my drive are in stop and go condition therefore MANUAL will not be ideal for this condition.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced

then why did you add all those performance modifications to a simple family sedan? Just admit that the tl is sporty and your vehicle is even sportier.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If I was to get an automatic car I wouldnt get an any Acura. The torque down low to make it fun is just not there like Nissan's VQ cars. I thought the 07 Maxima I rented was more powerful than the 07 TL-S auto. I know traffic is a bitch to take with manual though and its not an easy decision.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

good info guys
Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

ALLON & AL...THAT DOES IT...I'M COMING TO NY TO SPANK YA'LL ASS!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

then why did you add all those performance modifications to a simple family sedan? Just admit that the tl is sporty and your vehicle is even sportier.
Because HIS is NOT sporty...his is a Sad Sorry Machine!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Not as hot as my car

I think the answer to this question is best left to the use of the car, if it is an everyday driver and you live somewhere where you do a lot of city driving, a manual can be both costly and exhausting at times. If you want to drive the car as a sports car then there is absolutely no comparison to the experience of actually driving the car, clutching in and shifting gears, there is jsut something so very cathartic about that.... this of course soon goes away when clutching in and out in traffic. I personally got an automatic because I needed a family sedan and I didn't have time nor did I want to wait for a manual nor did I want to teach my husband how to drive it. That being said I have a 350 HP trans am I am converting to manual transmission so I have my sports car to drive.

It all comes down to purpose and preference. WIth the tiptronic you are really losing a lot less than you would with just a regular auto.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by SheSpawn
I think the answer to this question is best left to the use of the car, if it is an everyday driver and you live somewhere where you do a lot of city driving, a manual can be both costly and exhausting at times. If you want to drive the car as a sports car then there is absolutely no comparison to the experience of actually driving the car, clutching in and shifting gears, there is jsut something so very cathartic about that.... this of course soon goes away when clutching in and out in traffic. I personally got an automatic because I needed a family sedan and I didn't have time nor did I want to wait for a manual nor did I want to teach my husband how to drive it. That being said I have a 350 HP trans am I am converting to manual transmission so I have my sports car to drive.

It all comes down to purpose and preference. WIth the tiptronic you are really losing a lot less than you would with just a regular auto.
I can just see the "damn you're a woman and you know all of this, how sexy" responses now...so could you when you typed it...
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Not as hot as my car

Originally Posted by darksom1
I can just see the "damn you're a woman and you know all of this, how sexy" responses now...so could you when you typed it...

My father was an automotive engineer, I was born with gasoline in my veins, so it's not really a fair comparison, more a genetic thing. I have played in the boys club long enough to ignore leg humpers... nothread jacking
Old 03-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Trucki!!

Because I've never satisified with stock anything. I know I see 20 TL's everyday in SD, so I'm sure you do to. I'd be embarrassed pulling up to a stock "non-personalized" TL at a stoplight that looked exactly like mine. I personalize everything I own.

But I have a true "sports" car in the works

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
So I suppose 3-series Bimmers and Audi sedans and the CTS-S and CTS-V Cadillac and a bunch of other 'like' cars shouldn't have manual transmissions (Mustangs are safe because they only have 5-speed manuals).

Incidently, the TL's classification is Performance Sports Sedan.
Thats what I'm saying........

And I still consider any "Sedan" a family car. Sports cars in my classification have 2 doors and 2 seats.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Because I've never satisified with stock anything. I know I see 20 TL's everyday in SD, so I'm sure you do to. I'd be embarrassed pulling up to a stock "non-personalized" TL at a stoplight that looked exactly like mine. I personalize everything I own.

But I have a true "sports" car in the works

Thats what I'm saying........

And I still consider any "Sedan" a family car. Sports cars in my classification have 2 doors and 2 seats.
I agree with your statement which I have bolded. The classical definition of a sports car is a 2-seater designed for "sports" driving. This means that Mustangs are not sports cars, which I also agree. Corvettes, Porsche, S2000's, 350Z's.. those are sports cars.

However, the sedans I mentioned, include the TL's created a new genre of vehicle.. the Performance Sports Sedan. We can largely attribute this to BMW and there are and have been some fine machines falling under this catagory. The really nice thing about this class of vehicle is its utility. By this I simply mean its ability to satisfy the enthusiast vein in us while at the same time serving as a people hauler. I like the fact that my TL does triple duty. It satisfies my carguy side, it affords me the capability to carry some people and things when needed, and it has a classy side to it. This appeals to me.

Now did you happen to see MotorWeek's road test of the new '08 release of a select few Mustang Bullitt's. This is a repeat of the 2001 release of this car, though this one looks so much better. The sound of the exhaust is a thing of beauty. I really do like this car.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

again I was ignored... guys go look at my list

1 - 6mt tl-s
2 - 5at tl-s
3 - 6mt tl-p
4 - 5at tl-p

darksom... BRING IT
no replacement for displacement (even though the torque converter dogs up hp)
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

at the automatic wannabes! Also at Al (I will) and Shespawn's (cool ass name) comments!

It has long been decided on this forum that the MT is preferable to the AT, in any of the models, be it TL-P or TL-S! How many times do we have to poll this? I did a big poll a long time ago and it won hands down!

If it was strictly about the ability to move from point A to point B, then the fraction of the time difference would render this a non-discussion! BUT...the comparison is not confined to that...throw some curves in that A-B and there is no comparison! Using your thumbs (paddles) or Triptronic (sp?) vs clutching and shifting is NO COMPARISON when it comes to SPIRITED driving and you guys know that!

But, alas, you didn't take that positive into consideration and you thought more about the negative (rush hour) when purchasing...hahahahaha...live with that fellas, because if you think it is more fun to drive an automatic than a stick you are in serious denial and futile justification mode for giving into wifey (no offense Shespawn & others who know how to make it do what it do) and buying AT! Twiddle your thumbs paddlers, and eat dust!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
no replacement for displacement (even though the torque converter dogs up hp)
3.2/3.5 +18 cubic inches...give me a break. My lawn tractor has more displacement then the spread.

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Auto