Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question manual or auto

hello guys, I'm new here. I've been searching to buy an TL for awhile now. I always to buy a manual, but its seem so hard to find a TL manual transmission. so I'm asking, is it really different between auto TL and manual TL? and I'm from cali btw.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by locwind
hello guys, I'm new here. I've been searching to buy an TL for awhile now. I always to buy a manual, but its seem so hard to find a TL manual transmission. so I'm asking, is it really different between auto TL and manual TL? and I'm from cali btw.
Yes, there is quite a difference between these two platforms and it is more than just the transmission, though that is the main difference. I have one of each; an '04 manual (mine) and an '05 automatic (the wife's), both with Nav.

Go for the manual if you can find one.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
so I'm asking, is it really different between auto TL and manual TL?
Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 AM
I need a car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess you'll be one of my competitor to buy a tl in california! -_-. im still shopping around for a car

both of them have some problems which are different. i read some up on the problem and fixes section. i.e: auto transmission sensor getting dirty, manual 3rd gear having a problem. its minor but its something you can take into consideration. but as far as i know the auto isnt as bad as the old honda tranny from what i had read so far.....hopefully better then my old prelude tranny where they seem to failed just like the accord
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
10th Gear

I have about 20days to find it, I just got back from japan from my previous work station. I plan to drive them up to san diego where i'll be stationed at. worst case, I will keep hunting for the manual when i get to SD.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I'd normally recommend going manual as a 6MT owner. However, considering the Southern California freeway traffic, I'd consider otherwise.

Good luck........
Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Instructor

6MT all day.... although if you will be in heavy traffic pretty often then you may want to get an automatic. This will be your determining factor (it would be mine atleast). you are heading in the right direction even getting a TL IMO. Good Luck! U getting stationed at Miramar?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
SIX SPEED fo sho.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The manual also has better brakes, but they wear out quickly while the brakes on the automatic last forever so if maintenance costs are a concern I would get an automatic.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Babnik
The manual also has better brakes, but they wear out quickly while the brakes on the automatic last forever so if maintenance costs are a concern I would get an automatic.
Not necessarily so. I replaced my OEM pads at around 15,000 miles, not because they needed it, but because I hated all of the black the dusting. I still have the stock pads and they are probably good for another 35,000 miles.

One of my next door neighbors has an '05 manual with 80,000 miles on his stock factory installed pads.

So do keep in mind that there are other factors involved here.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Not necessarily so. I replaced my OEM pads at around 15,000 miles, not because they needed it, but because I hated all of the black the dusting. I still have the stock pads and they are probably good for another 35,000 miles.

One of my next door neighbors has an '05 manual with 80,000 miles on his stock factory installed pads.

So do keep in mind that there are other factors involved here.
If that's true then that is not so bad. For some reason I had the impression that MT TLs needed the brake pads changed a lot more frequently, probably due to the large number of topics here about people with newer (07-08) TLs asking about changing their pads.

My 04 TL still hasn't had a brake job done (just a fluid flush), but at my last oil change they told me I should get it done next oil change.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Manual quite smooth in trafic

I agree that a manual transmission is not the best choice for heavy traffic cities but the 6MT 3rd gen TL is by far the smoothest manual car I ever drove in traffic.

With its "by wire" throttle, the TL is able to prevent low speed stall by "pushing" the engine, for example in 2nd or 3rd gear. It almost feels like an automatic transmission as you can slow down very much without depressing the clutch pedal and control your speed with the brakes. You can see it work by watching the RPMs. Also, the 6MT has an aditionnal engine rocking damper and I believe it may play an aditional role in slow traffic. Compared to all my previous cars, there's almost no "jerking" in slow traffic.

Add this to rev matching (upshift and downshift when you blip the throttle) and you have a very polyvalent car. Smooth if you feel this way, or a beast if you ask for it.

Hope this helps.

Carl

2004 6MT Anthracite Metalic - A-Spec suspension, body kit, wheels.

Last edited by c_potvin; 04-26-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2009, 11:29 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
6Spd !
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

6MT FTMFW im sad i dont have one though..
Old 04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Babnik
If that's true then that is not so bad. For some reason I had the impression that MT TLs needed the brake pads changed a lot more frequently, probably due to the large number of topics here about people with newer (07-08) TLs asking about changing their pads.

My 04 TL still hasn't had a brake job done (just a fluid flush), but at my last oil change they told me I should get it done next oil change.
Biggest single variable is, surprise, how the car is driven. I would bet that a fair number of people with manual TL's might like to "test" their cars more than those who have automatics.

Just a guess, though.. you understand.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by c_potvin
I agree that a manual transmission is not the best choice for heavy traffic cities but the 6MT 3rd gen TL is by far the smoothest manual car I ever drove in traffic.

With its "by wire" throttle, the TL is able to prevent low speed stall by "pushing" the engine, for example in 2nd or 3rd gear. It almost feels like an automatic transmission as you can slow down very much without depressing the clutch pedal and control your speed with the brakes. You can see it work by watching the RPMs. Also, the 6MT has an aditionnal engine rocking damper and I believe it may play an aditional role in slow traffic. Compared to all my previous cars, there's almost no "jerking" in slow traffic.

Add this to rev matching (upshift and downshift when you blip the throttle) and you have a very polyvalent car. Smooth if you feel this way, or a beast if you ask for it.

Hope this helps.

Carl

Did you know that the 6MT has software that deliberately reduces throttle response at very low speeds in first gear so that you don't get that "bucking" result when adding a some throttle. It's done for that and also as a safety feature so you don't suddenly contact the vehicle ahead of you.

Incidentally, I would steer clear of rev-matching when upshifting unless you had to hold the shift for a moment, thereby disrupting your rhythm.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Did you know that the 6MT has software that deliberately reduces throttle response at very low speeds in first gear so that you don't get that "bucking" result when adding a some throttle. It's done for that and also as a safety feature so you don't suddenly contact the vehicle ahead of you.

Incidentally, I would steer clear of rev-matching when upshifting unless you had to hold the shift for a moment, thereby disrupting your rhythm.
Thanks for the additional info SouthernBoy. I was not aware of the reduced throttle response at very low speed in first gear. So many things can be done now that the ECU has a grip on the throttle.

As for rev-matching when upshifting, that's a nice feature when taking grand'ma to the drugstore.... very smooth transitions. You're right saying you can't wait for it in normal and spirited driving. Wish the revs go down faster. Probably need a lighter flywheel for this.

Cheers.

Carl
Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the additional info SouthernBoy. I was not aware of the reduced throttle response at very low speed in first gear. So many things can be done now that the ECU has a grip on the throttle.

As for rev-matching when upshifting, that's a nice feature when taking grand'ma to the drugstore.... very smooth transitions. You're right saying you can't wait for it in normal and spirited driving. Wish the revs go down faster. Probably need a lighter flywheel for this.

Cheers.

Carl
The rate at which engine drops off when you remove your foot from the accelerator is controlled for the purpose of reducing emissions.

BTW. Make sure you include a double clutch with your downshift rev-match to complete the process. Reduces synchro wear.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@locwind

Well, seriously, you're not going to be in SD, right? According to your post, you're more likely to commute to SD, with SoCal's traffic condition, go for a 07 TL-S (Auto)...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Nismo TL yo!

<-------------first 4 characters
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
like i've said before, once you go 6MT, you can't go back
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

I now have a TL-AT, I wish I had a MT, but it is slim pickens here in South FL, no one gets rid of their MT down here. So I had to settle. Its been hard to adjust considering I was driving the '99 2.3CL MT for almost 10 yrs and I loved it......EXCEPT for the 11 months that I lived in The City of Angeles. Having an MT there during L.A. traffic was the worst experience in driving that I have had in my life. I'm planning to move back or move to The Bay Area (I couldn't imagine having a MT in the heart of Downtown SanFran), so that played a role in buying an AT TL. So...normally I would say MT, but in SoCal, i would give the AT a long look.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 PM
TYPE-S CBP MT

6 Speed MT FTW!
I live in Queens NY and hit a lot of traffic, but still love the MT.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Really the traffic in and around San Diego is only bad for about 30 minutes in the morning and evening on some freeways, compared to OC and LA its nothing. Go for a manual if you can find one.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Originally Posted by pohljm
Really the traffic in and around San Diego is only bad for about 30 minutes in the morning and evening on some freeways, compared to OC and LA its nothing. Go for a manual if you can find one.

that's the hard part x_X now a days... not deciding whether you should get it, finding a good MT first is the trick. i have yet to see any base TL MT's for sale but a good amount of type-s MT's. but that's the more eastern region of the country.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
6 MT
u wont regret it
Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say go for the 6MT...if you think you want it you need to get it. I looked for a while in ATL and eventually had mine shipped from Miami. I would not even consider an AT when I was looking.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
'07 TL-S 6MT Moroccan Red

Go manual
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mmp1214
6MT FTMFW im sad i dont have one though..
ditto
Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
if i could do it again i would def go with the manual i unfortunately thought the paddle shifter were really cool at first so got an auto ... don't make a mistake and get an auto
Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not even a question! 6mt... set, point, match. Heavy traffic? I wouldn't wanna use that as a reason NOT to get one. If you've driven a manual and even if you haven't, you'll find yourself getting used to driving in ALL types of adverse conditions (traffic, hills, snow,etc). But once you get 'er on that open road, watch out! Game over (in more ways than one if highway patrols on your ass, but I digress) I've heard quite a few regrets with going Auto and 'wishing' they had opted for the 6mt (previous posts included? ). I can't say I've heard the too many regrets going the OTHER way, though. I went for 6mt and didn't even look back. But then again, you have to consider other personal factors (who else will be driving the car? you going to mod it? Do you really really really hate heavy traffic with 6mt?)
Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by thait
i guess you'll be one of my competitor to buy a tl in california! -_-. im still shopping around for a car

both of them have some problems which are different. i read some up on the problem and fixes section. i.e: auto transmission sensor getting dirty, manual 3rd gear having a problem. its minor but its something you can take into consideration. but as far as i know the auto isnt as bad as the old honda tranny from what i had read so far.....hopefully better then my old prelude tranny where they seem to failed just like the accord
I don't know where you two live, but I was at Cerritos Acura earlier today, and they have an '08 NBP Type-S 6MT with 14k miles for sale on the lot. I peeped the sticker, and it was > $33k.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bdogg77
6MT all day.... although if you will be in heavy traffic pretty often then you may want to get an automatic. This will be your determining factor (it would be mine atleast). you are heading in the right direction even getting a TL IMO. Good Luck! U getting stationed at Miramar?
I'll be stationed in Pendleton. So u from Cali also? Thanks for the advice, i'll take tat as a consideration.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 AM
10th Gear

Hope this helps.

Carl

That helps alot. thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 AM
10th Gear

Thanks guys for all the advice, i think i'll stick with the 6spd. it'll be hard to find one. but I have time, even if i have to walk around pendleton.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gatdammit
It's not even a question! 6mt... set, point, match. Heavy traffic? I wouldn't wanna use that as a reason NOT to get one. If you've driven a manual and even if you haven't, you'll find yourself getting used to driving in ALL types of adverse conditions (traffic, hills, snow,etc). But once you get 'er on that open road, watch out! Game over (in more ways than one if highway patrols on your ass, but I digress) I've heard quite a few regrets with going Auto and 'wishing' they had opted for the 6mt (previous posts included? ). I can't say I've heard the too many regrets going the OTHER way, though. I went for 6mt and didn't even look back. But then again, you have to consider other personal factors (who else will be driving the car? you going to mod it? Do you really really really hate heavy traffic with 6mt?)
I have found over the years that by far the most common excuse someone gives for not buying a manual is driving in heavy traffic. This has led me to believe that what they are really doing is playing fence sitter or looking for a palatable excuse not to get a manual. Inside, they're really not quite certain they want to go that route, but outside they wish to appear as though they are having a hard time deciding.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting you would rather not buy a manual for whatever reason you chose to present. It's your money and your decision to take. The person who is a diehard manual lover (like myself) could give a hoot about traffic or such. Operating a manual transmission is just what is done.. like breathing; part of driving. For those who do not wish to go there, more power to them. But if you don't want a manual because you think you might not like it in traffic, then perhaps you really don't want one afterall in the long run. Once again, nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
I have found over the years that by far the most common excuse someone gives for not buying a manual is driving in heavy traffic. This has led me to believe that what they are really doing is playing fence sitter or looking for a palatable excuse not to get a manual. Inside, they're really not quite certain they want to go that route, but outside they wish to appear as though they are having a hard time deciding.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting you would rather not buy a manual for whatever reason you chose to present. It's your money and your decision to take. The person who is a diehard manual lover (like myself) could give a hoot about traffic or such. Operating a manual transmission is just what is done.. like breathing; part of driving. For those who do not wish to go there, more power to them. But if you don't want a manual because you think you might not like it in traffic, then perhaps you really don't want one afterall in the long run. Once again, nothing wrong with that.
Just got to voice my opinion. Really don't know why one would not believe that not wanting to shift is not a valid excuse, as that is precisely why automatic transmissions were developed. I have a manual in our modified RX7 Turbo and thoroughly enjoy the fact that with the little rotary and 7200 RPM, a lot can be accomplished with that configuration, but a manual with the TL just doesn't get my heart beating faster. It's like having a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a manual just because one enjoys the shifting, but it certainly doesn't make it a better vehicle. It all boils down to the very simple question does one want to shift or not, for whatever reason. I guess the answer can be found in the sales numbers as, I'm going to say that only 5% of the TL's came with the manual. That sort of sums it up, 95% like the automatic.

Take one year of the C6 Vette, 37,372 produced, 5358 (14%) manual, and 32014 (86%) automatic.

Guess we're a lazy society.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Valid points, both. I think Southern Boy summed it up... "It's your money" do with it what you will. I myself will probably be driving manual all my life, and yes, it IS like breathing. I don't even give it a second thought and that's even working and living around San Francisco (steep hills AND traffic!). Everyone's opinions are just that opinions. So again, remember it's your dime. We're all just chipping in with our experiences in hopes that it will help you avoid the 'regret' train whatever your choice may be. Welcome to the forum and happy hunting!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gatdammit
^^ Valid points, both. I think Southern Boy summed it up... "It's your money" do with it what you will. I myself will probably be driving manual all my life, and yes, it IS like breathing. I don't even give it a second thought and that's even working and living around San Francisco (steep hills AND traffic!). Everyone's opinions are just that opinions. So again, remember it's your dime. We're all just chipping in with our experiences in hopes that it will help you avoid the 'regret' train whatever your choice may be. Welcome to the forum and happy hunting!
Yep. Couldn't agree more. I will add one more thing that is a personal favorite of mine. Looks. The manual shifter console area looks classy and fitting in the TL. I really like its appearance. It's what I would call "subtle elegance".
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Just got to voice my opinion. Really don't know why one would not believe that not wanting to shift is not a valid excuse, as that is precisely why automatic transmissions were developed. I have a manual in our modified RX7 Turbo and thoroughly enjoy the fact that with the little rotary and 7200 RPM, a lot can be accomplished with that configuration, but a manual with the TL just doesn't get my heart beating faster. It's like having a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a manual just because one enjoys the shifting, but it certainly doesn't make it a better vehicle. It all boils down to the very simple question does one want to shift or not, for whatever reason. I guess the answer can be found in the sales numbers as, I'm going to say that only 5% of the TL's came with the manual. That sort of sums it up, 95% like the automatic.

Take one year of the C6 Vette, 37,372 produced, 5358 (14%) manual, and 32014 (86%) automatic.

Guess we're a lazy society.
Since I have one of each, it's easy for me to draw a comparison whenever I want to. I am so ingrained in owning and loving manuals, that this is the absolute first overriding consideration for me when I am in the market for a personal driving machine. Regardless of how nice a car may be in ever other aspect, if it is not offered with a manual transmission, it will not even get to first base with me.

But then, that is my decision to take and no one else's. Not the wife or anyone else has input in this area. And I still look forward to the end of the work day when I can get in my manual TL and take the long way home just to enjoy the drive.

Quick Reply: manual or auto