Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maintenance minder

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
maintenance minder

All I want to do is change my oil sooner (3000 miles) than when the maintenance minder says to without knocking the system off. so I know when to do the other maintenance requirements. Can this be done without a problem? Please help
Old 06-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
yes it can be done w/out a problem.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
yes it can be done w/out a problem.
OK, can you explain how
Old 06-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
This may be more than you want to know, but here's the full procedure to reset the MID display, and also info at the bottom about other service reminders when you manually reset the MID yourself.

(The procedure on page 196 (of the 2004 owner's manual, and probably for later models also but if anyone has a later model with the correct procedure please let me know) of the manual is incorrect. In paragraph 3a of the manual, the requirement to hold the button for 10 seconds the second time it is pressed is omitted. If this is not done, the display will not reset.)

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Select Trip A or Trip B (You can use either one, so if you are using one to record data for something, use the other one to reset the Oil Life Indicator).

3. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

4. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.

This will explain what happens to the other services items when you reset the MID before the service due message appears.

From the service manual, page 3-6: (NOTE: This information is not in the owners manual.

NOTE: If you are resetting the display when the oil life is more than 15%, the maintenance message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed. Make sure the maintenance items requiring service have been performed before resetting the display.
      So this means if you change your oil before the 15% Service Due Soon is displayed, and you go to reset the display, if there are other items to be serviced, they will show up on the display, and if you clear the display the MID will take this to mean that you performed the required service.

To clear the display:
      After you get that service screen hold the reset/select for another 10 seconds.
      It will then ask you if you want to reset.
      Press the reset/select or the YES button (I forget which), and the MID will be reset

The statement from the service manual is a little vague, and I think they meant to say that if other items require service, the message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed, since if there is nothing else requiring service there would be no need for the message.

There is an explanation of how the MID works in the Acura Service News for September 2005 http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050900.PDF
      and more about how you will get additional reminders when resetting the MID before it reaches 15% in the Acura Service News for September 2006: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060900.PDF
      Old 06-16-2007, 07:48 PM
      Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
      This may be more than you want to know, but here's the full procedure to reset the MID display, and also info at the bottom about other service reminders when you manually reset the MID yourself.

(The procedure on page 196 (of the 2004 owner's manual, and probably for later models also but if anyone has a later model with the correct procedure please let me know) of the manual is incorrect. In paragraph 3a of the manual, the requirement to hold the button for 10 seconds the second time it is pressed is omitted. If this is not done, the display will not reset.)

2. Select Trip A or Trip B (You can use either one, so if you are using one to record data for something, use the other one to reset the Oil Life Indicator).

4. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.

This will explain what happens to the other services items when you reset the MID before the service due message appears.

From the service manual, page 3-6: (NOTE: This information is not in the owners manual.

So this means if you change your oil before the 15% Service Due Soon is displayed, and you go to reset the display, if there are other items to be serviced, they will show up on the display, and if you clear the display the MID will take this to mean that you performed the required service.

To clear the display:
          Press the reset/select or the YES button (I forget which), and the MID will be reset

The statement from the service manual is a little vague, and I think they meant to say that if other items require service, the message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed, since if there is nothing else requiring service there would be no need for the message.

There is an explanation of how the MID works in the Acura Service News for September 2005 http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050900.PDF
          and more about how you will get additional reminders when resetting the MID before it reaches 15% in the Acura Service News for September 2006: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060900.PDF
          So you're saying that's it's just as if you reached 15% normally. And all the required maintenance will be adjusted properly. In other words, it's not knocking the system off.
          Old 06-16-2007, 08:16 PM
          Administrator

It won't knock the system off because all of the other maintenance items go strictly by miles, unlike the oil change which takes other factors into consideration.
          Old 06-16-2007, 08:21 PM
          ~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
          Thanks Ron A, I can benefit from this too...and I know, from reading my manual!
          Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 PM
          Racer

It won't knock the system off because all of the other maintenance items go strictly by miles, unlike the oil change which takes other factors into consideration.

Not that I'm doubting you. But are you sure ALL the other maintenance items go strictly by miles.
          Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 AM
          Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Acura should have separated the two functions (oil life vs everything else). I change the oil around 3k also and consqequently have NEVER seen any maintenance messages on my 07 or my 04 TL. Acura,...bad engineering ....
          Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
          Senior Moderator

^^^ why get an 07 when your 04 had such "bad engineering?"
          Old 06-17-2007, 11:48 AM
          Administrator

Originally Posted by lowgrowl
          Not that I'm doubting you. But are you sure ALL the other maintenance items go strictly by miles.
          Fairly certain. The first link I gave in the MID post seems to bear this out because it says it will adjust tire rotation depending on the miles at which the MID is reset, and also gives recommendations for the other items based on driving conditions, which I take to mean it doesn't consider these conditions for these items.
          http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050900.PDF
          Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 AM
          ~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

So does that mean Robert's post (#9) is caused by something else he did? Like maybe he didn't reset it right?
          Old 06-17-2007, 11:50 AM
          Administrator

^^^ why get an 07 when your 04 had such "bad engineering?"
          Because no car is perfect and there are different degrees of bad engineering, this being a minor glitch which wouldn't affect most people's decision to move up.
          Old 06-17-2007, 02:04 PM
          Senior Moderator

^^ oh i totally agree. but why criticize (robertmiller) Acura for having "bad engineering" Obviously, by getting an 07 it wasnt as "bad" otherwise he would have went elsewhere?
          Old 06-17-2007, 02:15 PM
          2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          good stuff to kno..il be changing out my oil soon also..mine says 70% il wait til it drops to about 50% and change it to syntheic oil w/ oil filter..and flush out the transmission as well..im around 27k on my 05..wana keep it running new and healty
          Old 06-17-2007, 02:26 PM
          ~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^^ oh i totally agree. but why criticize (robertmiller) Acura for having "bad engineering" Obviously, by getting an 07 it wasnt as "bad" otherwise he would have went elsewhere?
          IDK, I think Ron A was just trying to play devil's advocate or busting your balls. Sounds like he didn't really have a clue either, but I agree with you 100%!!
          Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
          Racer

Fairly certain. The first link I gave in the MID post seems to bear this out because it says it will adjust tire rotation depending on the miles at which the MID is reset, and also gives recommendations for the other items based on driving conditions, which I take to mean it doesn't consider these conditions for these items.
          http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050900.PDF

My first oil change light came on at 5800 miles with 15% oil life left. The code that came up was A1. I had the proper service done and the MID reset to 100% Then I got paranoid and decided to do my next service at 9000 miles. I think it said 50% oil life left. Before the mechanic changed the oil he reset the MID and checked for the code. Oddly it was B1. Can you explain this? I just rotated the tires 3000 miles ago with the oil change Is this right or a malfunction? Thanks for your help
          Old 06-17-2007, 08:14 PM
          Administrator

Originally Posted by lowgrowl
          My first oil change light came on at 5800 miles with 15% oil life left. The code that came up was A1. I had the proper service done and the MID reset to 100% Then I got paranoid and decided to do my next service at 9000 miles. I think it said 50% oil life left. Before the mechanic changed the oil he reset the MID and checked for the code. Oddly it was B1. Can you explain this? I just rotated the tires 3000 miles ago with the oil change Is this right or a malfunction? Thanks for your help
          The MID didn't know you rotated the tires, so it gave you a reminder, which was the B1, meaning oil change and tire rotation..

That's what it meant in the service bulletin when it said if you had less miles than needed for a tire rotation when you reset it, it wouldn't tell you to do anything, and then it waited until you reset it again, and you were overdue, and then it told you.
          Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 PM
          Racer

The MID didn't know you rotated the tires, so it gave you a reminder, which was the B1, meaning oil change and tire rotation..

That's what it meant in the service bulletin when it said if you had less miles than needed for a tire rotation when you reset it, it wouldn't tell you to do anything, and then it waited until you reset it again, and you were overdue, and then it told you.

It's getting confusing. A1 is oil change and tire rotation. B1 is oil change & filter and inspection items etc. The MID didn't know I did a rotation when I did A1 ?
          Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 PM
          Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
          Today I changed my oil at about 32,000 miles in my '04.

The Minder said I was 109 miles overdue. It had been reminding me for about one week.

The code was A1.

To reset it, all I did was press and hold the reset button for 10 sec. Just once. Nothing else. Is that the way it was supposed to be done?
          Old 06-17-2007, 09:16 PM
          ~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by dcrandon
          Today I changed my oil at about 32,000 miles in my '04.

The Minder said I was 109 miles overdue. It had been reminding me for about one week.

The code was A1.

To reset it, all I did was press and hold the reset button for 10 sec. Just once. Nothing else. Is that the way it was supposed to be done?
          No, you have to do it twice! See post #4 in this thread.
          Old 06-17-2007, 09:38 PM
          Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
          Originally Posted by darksom1
          No, you have to do it twice! See post #4 in this thread.
          Well, I pressed and held it once, then it asked me to confirm. As soon as I pressed it again, it went back to 100%.

So, I was a little inaccruate in my first post, but I didn't have to press it for 10 sec the second time, it went back to 100% as soon as I pressed it the second time.
          Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 PM
          ~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by dcrandon
          Well, I pressed and held it once, then it asked me to confirm. As soon as I pressed it again, it went back to 100%.

So, I was a little inaccruate in my first post, but I didn't have to press it for 10 sec the second time, it went back to 100% as soon as I pressed it the second time.
          LOL...now all that's left is for me to do it. I am at proly 30% by now.
          Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
          1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clear the display:

Thank you Ron A for those missing steps! I just spent half an hour with my dad trying to figure out how to reset the darn minder. WHEW!!!