3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lumar Window Tint Question...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Lumar Window Tint Question...HELP!

I got my baby tinted with Lumar film at Atlantic Shoreline (Virginia Beach, VA) just after I bought her. Of course they DID NOT tint the full 1/4 window, and I was left with that hideous look. I went back to Atlantic SHoreline this weekend and they told me that they won't re-tint under the rubber because they can't guarantee the tint won't bubble etc. I'm seriously pissed and told her it looks like shit. They will de-tint and give me a full refund if I choose. I'm happy with the tint and really don't want to take this route...

I can't seem to find a lumar dealer in Virginia Beach area or Central/Northern, NJ who will detint my 1/4 windows and retint them. Is it accurate that it must be lumar tint, otherwise the darkess/color of the tint (regardless of the %) will not match the rest of the car? I guess it's a brand specific thing. I love my baby but this little annoyance, is really pissing me off and I just want to fix this problem asap!

If I chose to have my entire car de-tinted, should I use another type of film? Any reccomendations? It seems like lumar dealers are hard to find, what's the reason for this? Do they suck? or are they that good that Lumar is particular on who sells their products!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
See if they will give you 2 pieces of tint and do it yourself. I had mine tinted and they didn't do the entire back 1/4 windows. They told me when they tint the entire window, it won't be grounded and will attract more dust. Is this a crock of SHIT or what. I am going to go back and get a few small pieces of tint, take the windows out myself and do it right. Tinting a small window out of the car can be done by a blind person. REAL EASY!!! The hardest part is taking the window out, or removing the trim to tint 100%. Once I re-tint them I will show pics on how to do it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Instructor

I had the same problem with were I got my tint done. They use Lumar and I had to talk them into redoing it. After he was finished, he said that it was easy to get it behind the seal and that he was going to start doing all his TL's like that. Of course I live in TN so does not help you that much. I did ask them though if I could buy some tint from them and that's when he said he would try to do it.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Let's Go Pens

Thanks. Crock of shit is right. I paid $255 for the tint and I understand they want to offer a quality worksmanship, however, it looks like shit with the rubber showing. I took some black vinal and fitted it to the outside of the window until I'm able to have this issue resolved. From a distance this is a great solution because you can't tell but up close it's quite obvious something isn't right. Whether it's a $40K TL or a 19K focus, this is unacceptable. They have lost my future business, and considering we have brought them thousands in refferals and I personally have had all my family's cars done with them, they should have made a better attempt than "we won't do that".

Looks like I'll be getting the diamon-fusion protection and my 50% winshield tint elsewhere.

I look forward to seeing your DIY pics! Thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may or may not help you, but I have Lumar on my car also and the shop did NOT tint the entire 1/4 window so I had the gap. The shop said they can't clean the glass there so the tint wouldn't stick and it would look like crap. I complained and tried to convince them to redo it, but they would not. They offered to retint the 1/4 windows if a) I had a window installer remove them or b) I paid them for three hours of labor to figure out how to remove them. I ended up removing them myself and having them retinted. They're very easy to remove, but a little tricky to re-install. Overall, worth my effort though because it looks a lot better. So remove the 1/4 windows yourself and just tell them to retint the glass like a regular window (close to the edges) then you reinstall yourself if you have no other options.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
1) I need to see a pic to understand what you're bitching about...

2) It's a 2 hour drive - but Action Auto Sound and Tint in Fredericksburg, VA, who did my Tint, is a Llumar dealer... They do excellent work.

Here's my TL with Llumar Platinum Plus - has that Lexus/Nissan green glass look.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Just had my 07 Type-S done with Llumar tint and it looks great! They did not have any issues with the back quarters or the third brake light
Old 06-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Let's Go Pens

I'll post some pictures in the next few days. Between work and life I never have time to post them, maybe during work tomorrow I'll get to it.

In the meantime here is a previous post on another thread.. you'll notice the gray area in the left rear 1/4 window... It actually doesn't look horrible on his ride, however, on the NBP with limo in the rear it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I had 35% installed yesterday and it was a mistake. I WISH I got 50%. Cops around my area are FKN Nazi's. Make sure you won't get hassled.

Here is 35% all around.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Evader
I'll post some pictures in the next few days. Between work and life I never have time to post them, maybe during work tomorrow I'll get to it.

In the meantime here is a previous post on another thread.. you'll notice the gray area in the left rear 1/4 window... It actually doesn't look horrible on his ride, however, on the NBP with limo in the rear it sticks out like a sore thumb.
OH YAH, on black cars it look s really BAD IMO. Even so, I am going to take out my rear 1/4's and take them in for free re-tint. I just need a few suggestions how to take the windows out, and especially putting back in, since they are tricky to put back in. SO I heard. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

I usually hate Llumar film because of the bronzish color of it. I'm a die hard johnson film fan but they're harder to find nowadays
Old 06-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by AngeloUCF
I usually hate Llumar film because of the bronzish color of it. I'm a die hard johnson film fan but they're harder to find nowadays

I don't notice a "bronze" color to my tint, but maybe it's just because i'm so used to it that it isn't recognizeable to me. I'll be putting my pictures up soon, is there a specific place on here I should post it too? I noticed a wheel section, however, I have not upgraded the wheels yet so I don't want to put it in the wrong spot!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloUCF

No bronzish color on my Llumar tint. Llumar is one of the better films on the market. I just had my wife's car done with Madico film because I couldn't find a Llumar dealer here in the western burbs of Chicago. It looked pretty good. Never heard of Johnson film.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a quick question, do you guys do the moon/sun roof also?

-anybody have DIY on the removing of the quarter windows?

-DJ5- You mentioned you are from Chicago, where did you get your tints done? I've been looking for a nice place with Llumar, but havn't found one that does half-way-decent jobs around Mount Prospect/Arlington Heights.

I was thinking of buying precut tints online and slapping those suckers on myself. Gotta find the ones where they shrink to fit perfectly on the windows.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Let's Go Pens

^^ I can't speak for everyone but yes, I had my moon roof tinted with 5% like my backs! I'll also be getting 50% tint on my winshield. This cuts down on horrible sun glare!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

I have tinted many of these and never have i left that gap like the one you guys have. They can be tinted all around and without removing the glass, the rubber seal surrounding the glass is not as tight as it looks and you have the ability to slide the film all the way so that it will cover up all the glass inside , hence a perfect 1/4 glass install without the gap
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I had my tint done at LA Tint in Mannassas. They did a fantastic job, no gap in the quarter panels, and they even cut the tint around the rear light so its not a blanket tint on the rear.

They used F1 Pinnacle tint, which I also really like. Looks darker than its actual tint %
Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
'07 NBP TL

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
See if they will give you 2 pieces of tint and do it yourself. I had mine tinted and they didn't do the entire back 1/4 windows. They told me when they tint the entire window, it won't be grounded and will attract more dust. Is this a crock of SHIT or what. I am going to go back and get a few small pieces of tint, take the windows out myself and do it right. Tinting a small window out of the car can be done by a blind person. REAL EASY!!! The hardest part is taking the window out, or removing the trim to tint 100%. Once I re-tint them I will show pics on how to do it.

You don't have to take the windows apart for the 3G TL. I saw what my shop did for the 1/4 panel. First put the tint on the outside to draw out the shape. When its time for you to put it on the inside, use the squeege (sp?) to put the tint behind the rubber. Just make sure there are enough soap water so you can slide the tint around.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:20 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Originally Posted by Evader
I don't notice a "bronze" color to my tint, but maybe it's just because i'm so used to it that it isn't recognizeable to me.
Yeah I would never notice it unless I compared it to other cars. Johnson always just seemed blacker to me

Originally Posted by Be-in my TL
Just a quick question, do you guys do the moon/sun roof also?
Why do you find a reason to? Isn't that why we have a sunshade?