Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love this car but torque steer sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 12:53 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this car but torque steer sucks

There's way too many good things to say about this car. I never considered buying an Acura before hopping a ride in my friend's '04 TL and I was smitten by the looks of this sedan but even more so with respect to the incredible amount of technology packed into this car. I'm a gadget freak so things like a Bluetooth module and XM radio really trip my trigger. The list goes on and on in this car.

Anyway, the point of my post is that there is only one thing I'm disappointed in regarding this car and that is the nagging torque steer effect when you nail the throttle at anything over about 8/10ths. It's downright spooky and I might add 'dangerous' - if you ask me. Maybe I'm just spoiled - having most recently owned a succession of rear while drive cars (95 M3, 00 M Roadster, MBZ C230K) but why on earth did Acura mate this much power with a FWD platform? It just seems a little nutty. Was it purely a cost of development consideration?

Related to the torque steer, I really don't feel that the throttle response is nearly as excellent as anything BMW has put out in recent generations. When i think of all the BMWs I've owned/driven (see above plus AWD X5 4.4i) - the words "stepless, linear, smooth" come to mind. However, with just a few days of TL ownership under my belt, words like "punchy, bursty, lag" come to mind when describing the throttle response on the TL.

At the end of the day, there is way too much to love about this car and I'm sure it will kill the BMW 5 Series sales; who can ignore a ~$20k price differential for a loaded 5'er??! I just wish the TL came with that magic BMW combination of RWD and perfect throttle response.

Happy motoring -
Birkey
Old 05-05-2004, 01:03 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I have NO torque steer at all. I guess its because of the 5AT
Old 05-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
In the 6MT, I've noticed that what MAY be interpreted as torque steer was in fact the LSD kicking in. I'm referring to the non-drug related LSD by the way

Just a thought.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
In the 6MT, I've noticed that what MAY be interpreted as torque steer was in fact the LSD kicking in. I'm referring to the non-drug related LSD by the way

Just a thought.
could be. I feel I have to turn off VSA to get good throttle control/steering feel. Otherwise the throttle can feel a little laggy.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Team NightHawk VP

you should be getting torque steer in the 5at too, because i do, and yes the throttle is laggy might be because of drive by wire technology(not completely sure, but it sense to me), even though i think german cars have had it for a long time(correct me if im wrong). i believe that my mbz ML had DBW but im not completely sure.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also feel some torque. But I prefer FWD cars for snowy weather. I know some people don't agree that FWD is necessarily better in snow. I respect the difference of opinion but I happen to prefer FWD for that reason. So I'd rather have 270 HP of FWD with some torque than RWD and no torque. I find it's easy to adjust to the torque, to anticipate it, once you get used to the car. And on my TL at least it's not very noticeable anyway.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TLGator
I also feel some torque. But I prefer FWD cars for snowy weather. I know some people don't agree that FWD is necessarily better in snow. I respect the difference of opinion but I happen to prefer FWD for that reason. So I'd rather have 270 HP of FWD with some torque than RWD and no torque. I find it's easy to adjust to the torque, to anticipate it, once you get used to the car. And on my TL at least it's not very noticeable anyway.
I can definitely appreciate FWD in the snow...definitely a case of YMMV. I should have mentioned a few things...

1) I have the 5AT.
2) I have not experimented with switching off the VSA
3) I live in SoCal (not very snowy) where the roads are buttery smooth. There really are not many nasty potholes or pavement seams to throw the car for a loop when accelerating hard.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by birkey
I can definitely appreciate FWD in the snow...definitely a case of YMMV. I should have mentioned a few things...

1) I have the 5AT.
2) I have not experimented with switching off the VSA
3) I live in SoCal (not very snowy) where the roads are buttery smooth. There really are not many nasty potholes or pavement seams to throw the car for a loop when accelerating hard.
try VSA off and report back on throttle feel. With it on I feel like the car is trying to control it for me.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if you turn the VSA on, it is not doing anything unless you see the indicator on the dash blink ... it also means 95% of the normal driving in the normal weather, there is no differences whether you have the VSA on/off.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

Can some explain what exactly torque steer is?/ thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

put both hands on the wheel. Floor the gas - you will feel the car pull left and/or right. Torque Steer IMO.

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
Can some explain what exactly torque steer is?/ thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you are actually not feeling torque steer as someone mentioned earlier but the car helping it into motion (or something to that effect), I forgot who posted it, but there was a video of the underside of the TL posted on vtec.net and they talk about the torque steer...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Yeah, both Jeff and Shawn on vtec.net have stated what I just did, that it is the LSD in action on those crazy corners. Yes, there is torque steer but when I test drove a 6MT and 5AT, it was very subdued.

By the way, I'm KenB on vtec.net
Old 05-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cutemp
Correct me if I am wrong, but even if you turn the VSA on, it is not doing anything unless you see the indicator on the dash blink ... it also means 95% of the normal driving in the normal weather, there is no differences whether you have the VSA on/off.
You would think. But for me the throttle is MUCH more responsive with it off...so much so that whenever the car doesn't feel right I look down and sure enough...I didn't turn it off.

But that's just MHO and I could be completely off base.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not believe the TL torque steers (at least not the 6MT). It does do some squirrelly stuff if traction is lost - especially to just one wheel. A RWD car does the same - but feedback is not through the steering wheel and is more manageable. You can't do much about torque steer, but the TL's response can be improved with better traction. For me, the biggest improvement in acceleration-related feedback through the steering wheel was produced by wider/better tires.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I concur with most, the TL does not have any torque steer...or at least in my opinion and off of the stuff I've read on vtec.net.

Want some torque steer? Go drive a turbo-charged FWD car....better hold on with both hands as those things really jerk the wheel out of your hand!
Old 05-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tripp11
I concur with most, the TL does not have any torque steer...or at least in my opinion and off of the stuff I've read on vtec.net.

Want some torque steer? Go drive a turbo-charged FWD car....better hold on with both hands as those things really jerk the wheel out of your hand!
i can attest to that...my previous car was a saab 9-3...

i know the true meaning of torque steer...the turbo kicks in, your knuckles turn white trying to keep the car in a straight line.

I haven't noticed much, if any torque steer in the TL, though, perhaps I'm just used to an enormous amount in the saab.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by harkov
i can attest to that...my previous car was a saab 9-3...

i know the true meaning of torque steer...the turbo kicks in, your knuckles turn white trying to keep the car in a straight line.

I haven't noticed much, if any torque steer in the TL, though, perhaps I'm just used to an enormous amount in the saab.
Perhaps that's what is....us coming from the 9-3. Although, my car prior to the was a Mitsu Eclipse GS-T and that thing jerked to the right like nobody's business too. I think it's just a natural trait of FWD turbo-charged cars.

History with your 9-3? Good/bad?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tripp11
History with your 9-3? Good/bad?
2001 SE, Nice car, comfortable ride, nice seats, nice gas mileage...always felt safe. It had a few rattles and I had to have the electronic ignition 'module' replaced (ran through an enormous puddle during a rain storm), otherwise, mechanically it was in great shape. I actually miss the center console ignition...but I don't miss the extraordinarily loud turn signals

My lease was up, and I didn't particularly care for the new 9-3's. So I had been looking at 330's, the G35, even a WRX & lancer evo (if you've never taken that car for a ride...go take a test drive...that car rides on rails)...then a friend of mine mentioned I should look at the TL. Soon as I sat in the car, I knew it was the right one for me
Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The Few TL's I have driven do exhibit Torque steer when pushed from a stop, people have complained about this since the 02 Maxima hit the street 2 years ago and it has more torque than the TL. For one who goes around gunning it from from a stop or low speed that much anyways for it to be a problem and once you get use to it its not a problem.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At the pre-delivery demo of my car, the sales guy even said to turn the VSA OFF if you want to really push the car. It does tend to handcuff all of the acceleration and try to steer the car for you.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Aegir
I do not believe the TL torque steers (at least not the 6MT). It does do some squirrelly stuff if traction is lost - especially to just one wheel. A RWD car does the same - but feedback is not through the steering wheel and is more manageable. You can't do much about torque steer, but the TL's response can be improved with better traction. For me, the biggest improvement in acceleration-related feedback through the steering wheel was produced by wider/better tires.

I used to think there's not much torque steer in this car, and why is everyone fussing about it. I tried to accelerate hard from a stop light, and after working through the lower few gears, I felt very little pull to the left or right.

HOWEVER, try to take a corner and ACCELERATE THROUGH AND OUT of it. The steering wheel has a mind of it's own. Also, the poor traction of the EL42 certainly does not help. Everytime I take a hard corner, I feel like I would lose control of the car. Next time when you take a left or right turn with no cars around you, try it. Now I understand why pure sports car enthusiasts does not like the handling...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jtruman
I used to think there's not much torque steer in this car, and why is everyone fussing about it. I tried to accelerate hard from a stop light, and after working through the lower few gears, I felt very little pull to the left or right.

HOWEVER, try to take a corner and ACCELERATE THROUGH AND OUT of it. The steering wheel has a mind of it's own. Also, the poor traction of the EL42 certainly does not help. Everytime I take a hard corner, I feel like I would lose control of the car. Next time when you take a left or right turn with no cars around you, try it. Now I understand why pure sports car enthusiasts does not like the handling...
i understand what you are saying...i have 4 FWD cars...and the last one was the TL type-s....to be honest...its not good to have torque steering..but...you can get used to it...what i do now is that...i go in corner high speed...then turn...and step on accelerator at the same time...the tires will spin and the car will slide into the corner.....now..its nothing like a true drifting...but it can make your driving a lot easier if you do that constantly....and let u know how far the car would slide =)
Old 05-06-2004, 01:10 PM