3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looks like everyone got navi!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow - talk about reviving a dead thread.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:52 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Navi is GOD before it and say you were sorry you said you never wanted it and could not wait and could not spend more. Say next time you buy a car you'll get it for sure. And then maybe then Navi GOD will forgive you.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Instructor

re

Originally Posted by svtmike
Not everyone's life behind the wheel is the same.

My life behind the wheel without Navi: Go to work in the morning, go home at night. Go to stores in an area that I've lived for almost 30 years. Take kids to grandparents and great grandparents.

My life behind the wheel with Navi: Have $2k less and answer nag screen every time I start car. Go to work in the morning, go home at night. Go to stores in an area that I've lived for almost 30 years.

That's why I don't have Navi; I simply have no use for it. I like gadgets as much as the next guy, but I don't buy gadgets purely for the sake of having them.

Mike

Thats true, preferences are different.

But i think that most people have lives outside of work and grocery shopping. Maybe people enjoy just driving around areas they've never been, or go to parties, weddings, graduations in areas outside of their neighborhood. If my life was just about going to work and coming home, I would just get a civic.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

dude you should have waited 2 days is nothing. i waited over a month for my car for 6MT and navi. alot of people will dispute that its not worth the extra $$$ for the navi but it absolutely adds that much more to the car. its one of the reasons i got the TL instead of the G35 coupe. The TL is great with or without the navi but was a real good selling point to me and pushed me over when it came to deciding. aside from the features and functionality the integration of the navi makes the center console more appealing. the non-navi looks very incomplete and unattractive to me. others may disagree but similar to exterior styling of cars we have our opinions and the non-navi was definitely a turn off.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much would you loose if you traded it in now?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm in the minority. I did not purchase nav. In 12K miles I had two circumstances that nav would have come in handy. Keep in mind I am not a traveling salesman etc. I purchased my TL to DRIVE. The performance and fun to drive was highest on my list.

I"m not against tech toys, I have my share but nav was not on my want list.

I will agree that nav may be a positive on resale but I purchased a 6 speed which hurts resale so you know where I stand. Bottom line buy what you want and like you are the one paying for it.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

If I personally were spending that much for a car, I think I would get navi for even the hell of it. But thats me.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vanwall
I'm in the minority. I did not purchase nav. In 12K miles I had two circumstances that nav would have come in handy. Keep in mind I am not a traveling salesman etc. I purchased my TL to DRIVE. The performance and fun to drive was highest on my list.

I"m not against tech toys, I have my share but nav was not on my want list.

I will agree that nav may be a positive on resale but I purchased a 6 speed which hurts resale so you know where I stand. Bottom line buy what you want and like you are the one paying for it.

I agree. You should probably purchase a car with all the specs and functionality that YOU want... not for the resale value 10 years down the line. I"m sure the personal enjoyment over 10 years will be worth the extra 300 bucks you would have otherwise made on reselling the car. My
Old 05-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Navi is just like cell phone, Tivo, HDTV, computer, etc....
It is perfectly okay not to have those, but once you've them you will never give those up!!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Instructor

I would venture to guess that most people on this board are from mid to large cities. For some reason many of the pro Navi people here don't have the cognitive capacity to understand that there's people that don't live in large cities and have no need for Navi.

For you guys that have the what's $2000-$3000 more for Navi attitude. I can tell you most successful people in life become succcessful by not blowing their hard earned money. Many of them continue to be responsible with their money after they are wealthy. Those of you saying that $2000-$3000 is nothing I bet can't retire today if they wanted to. Imagine what $2000 would be worth 30-40 years from now. Now add all the other things you've purchased in life with the what's $2000-$3000 attitude.

I do realize that for many people, depending on their circumstances, Navi is very helpful and worth the money.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steveb
I would venture to guess that most people on this board are from mid to large cities. For some reason many of the pro Navi people here don't have the cognitive capacity to understand that there's people that don't live in large cities and have no need for Navi.

For you guys that have the what's $2000-$3000 more for Navi attitude. I can tell you most successful people in life become succcessful by not blowing their hard earned money. Many of them continue to be responsible with their money after they are wealthy. Those of you saying that $2000-$3000 is nothing I bet can't retire today if they wanted to. Imagine what $2000 would be worth 30-40 years from now. Now add all the other things you've purchased in life with the what's $2000-$3000 attitude.

I do realize that for many people, depending on their circumstances, Navi is very helpful and worth the money.

The bottom line is that you should enjoy your money while you're living on this earth. If navi is what you want, and willing to spend the 2k on it, then get it. If it is not what you want, dont spend 2k on it.

Whats the point of having money and not enjoying it? On the other hand, it's good to have some common sense. If it's either Navi or feeding your children, no matter how much you want the Navi, you should use some common sense. I'm sure many people on this board have enough common sense to not spend their life savings on a car....(at least I hope so)

I'm sure most people that subscribe to boards like this arent people looking for cars just to get from point a to point b..
Old 05-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by elee712
But i think that most people have lives outside of work and grocery shopping. Maybe people enjoy just driving around areas they've never been, or go to parties, weddings, graduations in areas outside of their neighborhood. If my life was just about going to work and coming home, I would just get a civic.
Life moves in stages. I definitely have a life outside of work and grocery shopping - however my vehicle really is not a central feature of it. I used to just drive around - I did it a lot - but no navi was available so I used to just head out and find my way there with only a town name and an address. It's a useful skill that I still use when I travel for work. I don't have a lot of weddings to go to (past that part of life - maybe one a year now) and mass graduations are not here yet for me.

As for having a Civic, no I spend too much time in my car getting to and from work to have just a plain Jane commuter. The DVD-Audio makes the trip very enjoyable for me, the HFL is a godsend (I hate driving with a cell phone to my ear), the seats are very comfortable, the ride is a good mix of compliant and sporty, and the automatic is a godsend as well in the nasty suburban traffic that I drive in.

Mike
Old 05-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Quote: Navi is just like cell phone, Tivo, HDTV, computer, etc....
It is perfectly okay not to have those, but once you've them you will never give those up!!

Yup, got all of those , life would suck without em.
I cant say cause we dont have the TL yet, but that thing was the best to happen in a lonnnnnng time.(we have that free comcast tivo)
Old 05-25-2005, 10:52 PM
WDP Director of R & D

I for one commend everyone that decided against the navi, and agree with Steveb that if invested properly that $2000 could grow exponentially in the next 30-40 years. BUT in reality, buying the nav vs not for most folks didn't involve leaving $2k in savings, vs giving it to the dealer. It involved ~$20 more a month in a car payment. So if you think about it that way not to mention most likely getting 50% of that $2K back during trade-in/sale, it's not really just throwing the money away. Also, my guess is most folks buying a TL don't frivolously buy $2000-$3000 dollar items every other month (or year for that matter) either.. Unless M & D are footing the bill... And in that case dropping $2K-$3K is like me spending $20 - $30 bucks.

In my humble opinion, I just think the nav screen and all of it's functions (along with "the look"), just "completes" the TL for me. The fact that it can "tell/show me where to go" didn't really factor into the equation (yet used every chance I get).

My wife is always my devils-advocate and purchasing the TL with navi was no exception. We kind of placed in on a level with her hobby-photography. She understands my love for auto's and how being a life long mechanic/motorhead is one of those hobbies. She enjoys being able to go out and get that $1500 dollar lens she needs, and had no problem understanding my desire to have "the screen". And I try very hard to return this "thinking" when she wants the next accesory....

Basically, one person may feel it frivolous or a waste spending $2000 on the navi, while that "navi purchaser" may in-turn feel it a waste for my wife to spend $1500 on a camera lens. It's just one of those perception things. Thats what makes us all different resulting in Acura to offer it with or without.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:46 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This went from ..."all ppl have navi"..to how to waste your money/ spend it....I personally don't need one, don't have one and I'm not thinking of ever buying one, I have enough with driving and if I'm not going to a place that I've been before I'll get a map and study it....believe I got out of High School in the late '70's and started driving tractor trailers crosscountry, traveling from NYC to LA and from TX to MI and have learned to use a map, so I also understand how ppl like to have this in their car and say I have NAVI, but besides that unless your a traveling salesman I see no need for one, give me a compass and a map and I'm good to go...
Disclaimer:...if you have the need for one get it, don't get it becuase the Jone's have it.... , no flames either way...
Old 05-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Not THAT guy

It all depends on how you try to purchase your TL. I got my '05 Anthracite/Quartz 5AT Navi ordered this week for $115 over invoice. That's just about a grand under MSRP for the non-navi and I know lots of people having probs trying to get that out of a dealership. There are plenty of resources out there to learn how to buy a car. Suggest looking for Fighting Chance. That should help you out in your future purchases.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:40 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
It's funny how there's plenty of posts throughout the forum from those who didn't get the Navi and wish they had. However, I'm yet to see a single post from anyone who got it and wishes they hadn't.
My
Old 05-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
It's funny how there's plenty of posts throughout the forum from those who didn't get the Navi and wish they had. However, I'm yet to see a single post from anyone who got it and wishes they hadn't.
My
You haven't looked hard enough. At least one person has said they bought it but never use it except as a gee-whiz thing to show off. It's also not human nature to admit to making a significant but in retrospect undesired purchase.

Mike
Old 05-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Instructor

I got NAVI and it was well worth the 90 day wait and added cost. Everyone will agree that the NAVI TL looks and flows much better than the non-navi. But ignoring the other many benifits of the navi version and focusing on just the mapping aspect, I still love it. Personally, I use it all the time. The past weekend, I went to the beach. I'd never been to this hotel before. I was a very nice feeling to just plug the address into the navi and go. I didn't have to print out mapquest directions nor constantly second guess myself while thinking "did a miss a turn? or is that my street?.. I can see the sign yet". The peace of mind is so very nice. heck, I find myself using it around town. I love the feeling of going to meet a client off some odd street around town and only needing the address. Again.. peace of mind. It futher adds to the relaxed feeling I get whenever I'm in the car. I can honestly say that I will never own another car w/o a NAVI. I am hooked. It's just like a cell phone. Sure, you can get by without one... and it sure makes your life easier!

Oh... and even while at the beach last weekend, I used it down there. It knew where all of our restraunts were, and always how to get back to the hotel. AWESOME! The only down side is, it now turns out that I'm the one that always has to drive everywhere.. heh.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Let's admit the technology is awesome. It's damn near impossible to get lost using this system! I didn't get navi for 2 reasons:
1. The price
2. I already have copilot live on my IPAQ which does the same thing for about $500 and I can transfer the system between vehicles.
I agree that having NAVI will improve the resale of your car, but you already paid more for it to begin with. Enjoy what you got, the car simply kicks ass w or w/o NAVI.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Advanced

I got the Nav, however, I barely use it as I only use the car to drive to/from work. However, after looking at how hideous (personal opinion) the dash looked without it, I was sold. The non-navi just looks cheap. The clock at the top has 3 buttons w/cheap plastic around it. It just doesn't look right. The 2 rectangular "boxes" for the audio and temp controls looks weird and not very high tech. Just my opinon.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Well both my parents, and I would use it, so there is no debate. HEK, you live in MA, even us locals cant find our way around boston, then again I dont know how well the navi does with dayly road changes, and tons of tunnels(all though it does use wheel speed and turn).
Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtgrad95
I got the Nav, however, I barely use it as I only use the car to drive to/from work. However, after looking at how hideous (personal opinion) the dash looked without it, I was sold. The non-navi just looks cheap. The clock at the top has 3 buttons w/cheap plastic around it. It just doesn't look right. The 2 rectangular "boxes" for the audio and temp controls looks weird and not very high tech. Just my opinon.
Sounds like you regret getting the NAVI. Since you "barely use it" you're saying even if your NAVI was nonfunctional it would be worth $2000. That's insane. If only Acura had an option for a fake look alike NAVI. That's like saying I have a 50" plasma TV that I never use but it look nice in my house so it was worth the purchase.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Advanced

^I guess I really hate to admit it, but yes, it really wasn't worth the extra 2-3K just for the "look".
Old 05-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

But you have to admit, its a great system for a lot of people. So for your purposes you regret getting it. However I am sure it has been helpful at least once!?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:54 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

There sure seems to be a lot of passion in this "debate." Maybe I'm just biased, but it seems that those without navi sound a touch bitter toward those who have it. There have been a few comments from a couple navi folks like "it's stupid to not get it," but the majority of navi owners seem more confident in their decision than the non-navi folks do in theirs.

I agree the car is great with or without navi. If you're happy with your decision either way, then that's what's important. There's no need to criticize those who chose differently.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Ya, I personally think that when you are paying that much another 2k for somethin like that is worth it. But I do understand some people dont feel its neccesary for them, and I respect that. Navi is one of the important decision making factors for me, I love toys, and I have a shit sense of direction.

I know what you mean about some hostility. People try to reasure themselves they made the correct decision(like: for 2k, I could get a great laptop with navi. Which is definatly true, and for all I know they are perfectly comfortable without having the navi and are just trying to make a point). The thing is, if you dont have the navi, its a bigger deal to get it put in, or think, damn, I should have got that, where is if you have the navi 99% of the time you realize how useful it is, and even if you dont you think, oh well, I have this 8 inch color touch screen in my center console, that really sucks(sarcasm).
Old 05-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by bluenoise
There sure seems to be a lot of passion in this "debate." Maybe I'm just biased, but it seems that those without navi sound a touch bitter toward those who have it. There have been a few comments from a couple navi folks like "it's stupid to not get it," but the majority of navi owners seem more confident in their decision than the non-navi folks do in theirs.

I agree the car is great with or without navi. If you're happy with your decision either way, then that's what's important. There's no need to criticize those who chose differently.

Yep you're biased. To me it seems like those without Navi are just defending themselves from indirect attacks by certain people with Navi. Of course remarkes such as "Navi makes the car" and "the dash looks cheap without Navi" is going to stir up responses from non navi people because we have different opinions. To me it looks as if some Navi people are trying to justify their purchase. I bet there's plenty of other gtgrad95 on this board but they just don't want to admit they made a mistake.

It's just another $2000. Well, do you already have a 50"plasma TV. You want one don't you? Well you could have not gotten the Navi and saved $2000. With just another $2000 on top of that you could have bought one. What's another $2000 right? And you can probably pay a monthly note of only $20 per month for the plasma. Now that's the American way. Which would you use more? The Navi or plasma TV?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Instructor

Yep you're biased. To me it seems like those without Navi are just defending themselves from indirect attacks by certain people with Navi. Of course remarkes such as "Navi makes the car" and "the dash looks cheap without Navi" is going to stir up responses from non navi people because we have different opinions. To me it looks as if some Navi people are trying to justify their purchase. I bet there's plenty of other gtgrad95 on this board but they just don't want to admit they made a mistake.

It's just another $2000. Well, do you already have a 50"plasma TV. You want one don't you? Well you could have not gotten the Navi and saved $2000. With just another $2000 on top of that you could have bought one. What's another $2000 right? And you can probably pay a monthly note of only $20 per month for the plasma. Now that's the American way. Which would you use more? The Navi or plasma TV?

You can get an accord instead of a TL and save 10K on the purchase. What would you rather have, the TL or an accord and whatever you can buy for 10 grand?

We can go on forever...
Old 05-27-2005, 03:04 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Like "elee" alluded to, this thread is starting to sound like a school yard argument... Some trying to diffuse the situation, some throwing punches, others just heckling from the crowd.

I would venture to guess that their isn't many folks, whether they have the navi or not, that wouldn't agree that the dash looks better with the navi. Thats not a statement to raise emotion, rather just a FACT. If "looks" were the only reason many purchased the navi, so be it! Thats their prerogative. Your "thinking" about the $2K going to another purchase is true, and that very well is why some chose not to get the nav, and thats smart. For me, spending the extra for the navi truly was "nothing"... I could have drove my new TL off the lot and went straight to my favorite high-end video joint and purchased a plasma.. No need or want due to already owning $25K+ in HighDef home theater gear.. Like cars with navi, thats another one of my wife and I's "likes".....

Besides the lucky ones that received a TL via their folks, or the individuals stretching their budget to have a TL in the garage etc..., Most folks spending $35K on a car aren't going to have to think that hard over nav or not nav (financialy)...
I myself tend to analyze all my purchases for need, want, and necessity. Not that many fall in the "N's" category. At that point it comes down to "justifying" the cost. Each of us will perform that task differently. When it came to the nav I knew no matter what I liked it, it wasn't remotely effecting the budget, family or investments etc.... Done deal.

The TL is a great car with or without. It just comes down to each and every owners financial ability and their needs, wants, and nessecities...
IE - "justification".