3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase but can't decide Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to purchase but can't decide Need help.

I am buying in the next 30 days

I started with 10 choices
volvo S60R
Acura TL
Lincoln LS V8
Chrysler 300C
Pontiac Bonniville V8
Chevy Impala SS
Infiniti G35
04 Infiniti M45
lexus es330
Nissan Maxima SL
Saab 9-5 AERO

Then 5
Acura TL
Chrysler 300C
Volvo S60R
Lincoln LS V8
Lexus ES330

now I down to three and i need some feed back from some owners.
Acura TL
Chrysler 300C
Volvo S60R

untill recently i was all 300c then I drove an A-SPEC TL now i am on the fence and the S60R in the mix also but in a distant third, can some of the members give me some feedback good and bad.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:43 PM
TL - KEJ

My opinion: 2005 TL or 2005 CTS

For my opinion, see post #10 in thread http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93358

Out of your choices, I would go with the TL.

I am also in the car buying process and I narrowed it down to the CTS (luxury sport model) and TL. I haven't made up my mind yet. Very tough decision for me...

I also considered the BMW 330xi, Infiniti G35x, and Jag x-type.

I am not a big fan of Volvo. We just traded in a Volvo station wagon for a 2004 Acura MDX.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Racer

The TL loses in the fact that the 300C and the S60R are cars with more power, I will give them that. However, neither of those cars are any competition to the reliability and longevity of an Acura. I may be young, but I firmly believe that because the car before my 04 TL was a 93 Legend. The Legend was still in great shape after 11 years and was running fine without once having any major problems. Also, don't know if you don't care but the TL definetely has a WOW factor to it. Heads turn when your drive by...and that's always a good feeling. Anywho, as a member of the forum who loves his TL very much...hope you go with the TL.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:07 PM
TL - KEJ

power is good, Hemi is awesome

Power is good, Hemi is awesome, but the 300c styling is a real turn-off, plus it is a Chrysler. enough said.

In terms of the Volvo, they just don't appeal to me either.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:19 PM
i souport publik edekason

First things first...

Ford/GM/Chrysler Debate... too many years ongoing to count...

Out of those three I am most assuredly a Chevy guy...

That being said the Volvo is out before we begin... (Why do you think they can offer some of their cars so cheaply now. Answer Ford parts... Don't even get me started on Jaguars)...

I don't mind Chryslers... I think they are innovators when it comes to ideas but those same ideas are perfected by other companies. (They have been on the leading edge of design since Lee Iaccoca spelling???)
I love the design of the 300C, also things like the Stow and Go feature of the new caravans, but it is still and has been for years considered #3 in that aforementioned 3 horse race.

And so, my affiliation with this board not withstanding... I would most assuradely go with the TL in you list of 3...

Best of luck bud...
Salut
Old 09-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

I don't know if you have ever owned a Chrysler product, but I have. All I can say is I never will own another Chrysler product again. I tried Chrysler a couple of times, figuring maybe I just got my hands on a bad car and the whole company isn't that bad. Too many reoccuring problems. Transmissions don't last, and engines tend to not have great reliability. I think there are Chrysler products out there that are great to look at, but if I am spending 30+ thousand on a car, I want it to last. Honda, Acura, Nissan, Toyota: these cars are just stretching their legs when Chrylslers are falling apart. I just picked up my TL last week and I couldn't be happier. Before it I had 2 Honda Accords that I never had a single problem with. Put it this way: If someone tell you they have a Chrysler with 100,000 miles on it and NEVER had a problem, you would be surprised. If someone has a Honda or Acura with 100,000 miles on it and HAD a problem you would be surprised. Your choice, and I hope you are happy at the end. Just my .02

Joey
Old 09-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by salut88888
First things first...

Ford/GM/Chrysler Debate... too many years ongoing to count...

Out of those three I am most assuredly a Chevy guy...

That being said the Volvo is out before we begin... (Why do you think they can offer some of their cars so cheaply now. Answer Ford parts... Don't even get me started on Jaguars)...

I don't mind Chryslers... I think they are innovators when it comes to ideas but those same ideas are perfected by other companies. (They have been on the leading edge of design since Lee Iaccoca spelling???)
I love the design of the 300C, also things like the Stow and Go feature of the new caravans, but it is still and has been for years considered #3 in that aforementioned 3 horse race.

And so, my affiliation with this board not withstanding... I would most assuradely go with the TL in you list of 3...

Best of luck bud...
Salut

all this thanks to the Diamler involvement, if not for them Chrysler would need another Lee-eye-a-coka guy trying to make the public believe the "cab forward" design is superior to others. he succeeded too, but then take a look at Chrysler just before Diamler came into the picture....

i always felt that Chrysler in the auto world is like AMD in the CPU world, always trailing another company with product that gets alot of hype but never fully gets into the market. it's nice and all that the R&D guys at Chrysler can build a viper-v10 powered motorcycle, but c'mon, should they not be spending their time and money trying to make cars better. look at honda, they R&D some of their automation technology into a walking robot, and one day some of those systems (components) will find their way into the cars they build.

cheers
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm Baaack!

My parents have a 300 (If that isn't enough to pull it from the running I don't know what is?)

Actually, I looked at the Dodge Magnum and the interior looks like a holdover from a '97 Intrepid, I looked at the 300, but I worry about resale longevity, I looked at Toyota, Infiniti (G & I) and above all came the TL.

I've only had it for a month or so, but I stand by my decision, best car I've ever had.

Good luck with your choice!

'04 TL / 5AT / Nav / Redondo Red w/ Camel
Old 09-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone else think the Chrysler 300 looks like a refrigerator box?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:44 PM
TL - KEJ

300c

I'm not really sure what the h___ it looks like, but I know I am not buying one.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Racer

Don't be too hasty!

Originally Posted by Tedanddenise
Does anyone else think the Chrysler 300 looks like a refrigerator box?
I do.

thematrixhasu, is this your first car? That's a lotta shopping your doing across a wide range of vehicles and prices, at least in Canada. Fortunately you've narrowed it down. I like the Volvo, its just more money that the TL, and I don't think it performs any better. As to the 300 I haven't driven it, and the looks, well its like commenting on someone's girlfriend so I will stop after my first comment.

Ever thought of a used car? I have a new TL and its pretty good, outside of the subtle vibration problem at higher speeds. But very recently, I bought an excellent condition low mileage 2000 Carerra 4 6sp. It was from a certified Porsche dealer and it has a 2 year warrantly. My first used car. It still costs a little more than a brand new Infiniti M45 (not much more so its close to your price ranges), but man oh man it is the best thing I've ever owned...however it has its space limitations, so you do need something else if you have to haul a crowd around.

For me, I'm having trouble driving the TL now, its down right....pedestrian! LOL
Old 09-07-2004, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear

okay ACURA TL vs 300C

I am on my 11th car this will probably be my most expensive i have owned a 91 legend good car but is was 6 years old when i got it very reliable other than the breaks but it sucked in perfomance but what do you expect for 6 years old i have had 3 new cars a 2000 ford taurus a 1996 hyundai sonata (piece of sh!t) and my best was a 2003 300M special but it was stolen and thats why i am in the market for a new car. I know Acura has a better resale But i put 50000 miles on my car in 19 months so resale dont matter. after 50000 miles my 300m had no problems but maybe i was lucky. I have owned a 89 accord, a 88 jetta, and various other get around cars i have owned 2 chrysler products and only minor work done but i also owned two honda products same history which brings me to my delima.

so far i am on the fence the TL has better handling by a notch the 300c has more power by alot the tl has better fuel economy the 300C has the hate me or love me looks the TL has better interior by alot, the 300c has tons of more room. I am stuck
Old 09-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Type S personality

Go with the TL. I had a 02 Maxima SE and have looked at the G35, Maz6, TL, TSX, and Legacy.
TL is a nice vehicle. I am down to 3 of the above in terms of choices.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear

another negative to the TL is the cost of insurance gotdam its crazy but another positive is that blessed A-Spec proformance pack it is a thing of bliss decisions decisions
Old 09-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

My insurance only went up 70 buckes every 6 months from an 02 Accord.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:36 PM
HMFIC

Go with your heart. In case you have not heard, Honda has been having trouble with V6 automatic transmissions (please don't void my warranty for saying that - j/k).

I would avoid a first year Chrysler (or M-B) but had no reservations about a first year Acura.

Don
Old 09-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I too considered the 300C. Way too hard to buy right now. The dealers are all full of the initial success and are treating people like it would be a favor to sell you one. I also have some concerns with the quality as some of the technology is new (especially the cylinder deactivation).

I had a C70 Volvo and liked an awful lot of things about it. But if you are getting an automatic, you will have very noticable turbo lag from a dead stop. In this day and age, turbos just don't make sense to me anymore when you can get the same horsepower naturally aspirated without the drawbacks.

I had a G35 and liked it, but it really didn't fit me as well (comfort wise). It does handle better, and I think has better all around performance. But the TL is a nicer all around car.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Racer

I would suggest getting the TL 6mt. and breeze through kelly drive with all the windows down.