Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for New Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
GO BLUE!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Looking for New Brake Pads and Rotors

I was looking to upgrade my wheels, but now it looks as though the brakes will get some much needed attention first.

I have the 6mt with 80,000 miles. I have only changed the pads once and have been pleased with my braking perfrormance with the brembos. But since its time to change the pads, I am in need of some ideas from the experts on the forum. Here is what I am thinking.....

I have been considering the Rotora slotted/drilled rotors, the XCLR8 stainless brake lines and the RB ET300's. I have also looked at the Rotora ceramic pads. I am kind of partial to the slotted/drilled rotor idea for now. I also may just get some pads and get rotors later. I don't know if thats a bad idea or not.

I am looking for a good combo that will not have as much brake dust as the brembo pads, is not noisy when the brakes are applied and has the stopping power and perfromance that will make me happy for spending the money. I have been looking for a little while and now need to act. I am not the racing type but know how to push the limits when I need to. Any thoughts, ideas and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Dude,

There are literally a zillion threads on pads and rotors on this forum. Is the search function not working?

There is a wealth of information and opinions on this subject available by doing a search.

I am using the RB ET300s. Very little to zero dust. Performance equal to stock Brembo pads, price 2/3 cost of the Brembos.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The ROTORA rotors and H2 ceramic pads are a great combination: improved braking, low noise, low dust, less prone to distortion. The brake lines will also help increase the pedal firmness.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:00 PM
GO BLUE!

Sorry for any confusion. Maybe I was not specific enough in my inquiry. I have done numerous searches on the forum and have reviewed many posts. I am specifically interested now in the members who have had combinations of the RB ET300's or the Rotora ceramic pads with the Rotora slotted and cross drilled rotors.

I understand the Rotora products will go hand in hand together as they are made by the same company. I am, however, not up to date on the member experience with the Rotora pads. I have read numerous posts by members explaining how pleased they have been with the RB ET300's.

So I am curious as to how the two would compare with the Rotora rotors and I did do a search and did not find any specific posts as to that issue. I am also interested in member experience with the XLR8 stainless brake lines and the RB stainless lines.

Again, I have done the searches and could not find much information there as to how they compare and application with the Rotora rotors. Hopefully this clarifies what I am looking for and I again apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Dude,

There are literally a zillion threads on pads and rotors on this forum. Is the search function not working?

There is a wealth of information and opinions on this subject available by doing a search.

I am using the RB ET300s. Very little to zero dust. Performance equal to stock Brembo pads, price 2/3 cost of the Brembos.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ET300s are awesome pads on any rotors
Dont get drilled or dimpled- no need and noisy
Do get slotted fronts if that makes your car look cool or you drive it really hard
Rotora blanks or slotted or RB slotted are all good rotor choices
Call the vendors direct for personal advice- Josh at Excelerate or Marcus at MrHeelToe
see their post for contact info- phone is always faster than PM or email, they sell parts and are available to answer questions!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

RB SS lines are good- so are goodrich
Both of the mentioned vendors will have top quality SS lines
Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
GO BLUE!

01TL4TL --- Just curious as to why the drilled/dimpled rotors are not preferred? I was considering the combo slotted/drilled but if I am wasting my time and won't be pleased, then I would like to know that prior to dishing out $600 or so. I am not opposed to the slotted, but just don't know enough about the differences.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i dont have the ET300, but the ET500 are awesome! but i also have the RB rotors, but the works great together . i would go with the RB two-piece rotor and the ET500 pads if i were you
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
The ROTORA rotors and H2 ceramic pads are a great combination: improved braking, low noise, low dust, less prone to distortion. The brake lines will also help increase the pedal firmness.
I went with this setup and im very happy with my choice. Couldnt stand the squeaking and break dust of the OEM pads/rotors.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

dimples and drilled thru are bling on a street casually driven TL-
no need for them,, and they do wear pads faster
Each opening on the rotor face is going to take a micro cut of pad when engaged
Its bonus is keeping the pads cleaned of debris and ready to work when you really need them

If you live where its heavy rains or you autocross race the car- then you would use drilled and benefit from the extra cooling

Side slots are for when the pads and rotors are super hot- when the pads are pressed against the rotor they generate and emit a high pressure gas- from friction turns to heat...= braking
Enough pressure in some extreeeeeeme cases, to actually push the pads away from the rotor- with your foot still full on the pedal!!!! oooops
The side slots allow an escape path for the gasses as they pass across the pad-
For the normal street driver they are not required

SS lines make every cars brakes FEEL better -especially when hot and rubber lines do expand under pressure more easily- like a mountain drive will make them hothot

Just watch the master cyl when pumping the brakes to bleed them- flex flex flex
and thats COLD!! when they have more strength
Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
dimples and drilled thru are bling on a street casually driven TL-
no need for them,, and they do wear pads faster
Each opening on the rotor face is going to take a micro cut of pad when engaged
Its bonus is keeping the pads cleaned of debris and ready to work when you really need them

If you live where its heavy rains or you autocross race the car- then you would use drilled and benefit from the extra cooling

Side slots are for when the pads and rotors are super hot- when the pads are pressed against the rotor they generate and emit a high pressure gas- from friction turns to heat...= braking
Enough pressure in some extreeeeeeme cases, to actually push the pads away from the rotor- with your foot still full on the pedal!!!! oooops
The side slots allow an escape path for the gasses as they pass across the pad-
For the normal street driver they are not required

SS lines make every cars brakes FEEL better -especially when hot and rubber lines do expand under pressure more easily- like a mountain drive will make them hothot

Just watch the master cyl when pumping the brakes to bleed them- flex flex flex
and thats COLD!! when they have more strength
thank you! this reinforces my purchase of the ebc ultimax slotted
Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put brembo drilled with hawk ceramics. I have no noise hardly any dust and improved breaking. I bought everything for $350 at buybrakes.com.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Team Owner

keep us posted on how they wear in- first 500 miles you cant really tell about new brakes- then stopping ability and dusting start to become real

Check the makers websites- many performance brake parts require a special procedure to `bed them in`
Think of the pads and rotors as each having a thousand micro sized hills and valleys-
thats not sitting tight on each other when new
Those have to wear into each other and then full pad contact will be made
You can watch it happen via the color changes to surface of the rotors
Old 06-10-2009, 04:22 AM
Team Owner

in researching rotors for my bike- which came in 1986 with slotted rotors!
On the bike, the side slots help cool the rotor and vent the pads,
bike brakes tend to get used hard hot and heavy repeatedly,,kind of the point of having a bike...but I digress

EBS has done tons of research and found 3 side slots was the max you could use before wind noise thru the rotors made the rider uncomfortable
You see some with crazy patterns of holes and numbers of side slots for car rotors and I wonder how much noise they are making...oh that? its nothing,,you reassure the passengers,,,`thats normal for the brakes to howl like that...while cruising...its just the wind`