Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for locksmith in NO.VA for 07 switchblade key

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Looking for locksmith in NO.VA for 07 switchblade key

Im purchasing the new 07 key from FLBUSA and want to get it cut by locksmith here locally. Does anyone know of a good locksmith and how much they are charging here in Northern VA. I called pohanka and they said they will charge about 100 for cut and program. please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
If you get it cut by a locksmith doesn't Pohanka still have to program it? Did they tell you how much it would be to just do that after it's been cut? Seems to me cutting the key is fairly simple, the fee for programming it is what is going to cost the most.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Arrow sup

sup check ur pm.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:11 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
pm jdm5lughatch
Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Talking

WIll Do, Thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
couldnt you just google it and call around? or maybe look in the phone book? they still have those right?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just saw this thread. Cutting the key is no problem. I will be working on getting the machine down to my shop and a group rate on programming today. We only have 1 SDD and 1 t-CODE company wide so getting the machine might be a bit difficult. However, it will be easier once I know how many people are going to be down for this. It will be a one time only opportunity at a discounted rate. After that if you miss out you will have to visit my location in Newington or the dealer.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Cruisin'

I would be interested. I'm in Maryland.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Just saw this thread. Cutting the key is no problem. I will be working on getting the machine down to my shop and a group rate on programming today. We only have 1 SDD and 1 t-CODE company wide so getting the machine might be a bit difficult. However, it will be easier once I know how many people are going to be down for this. It will be a one time only opportunity at a discounted rate. After that if you miss out you will have to visit my location in Newington or the dealer.
can you figure out how to make my 03 key a switchblade

going to the meet on the 7th?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
There ya go...!

Subscribed for info.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
can you figure out how to make my 03 key a switchblade

going to the meet on the 7th?

didn't know about the meet. Your car shouldn't be too hard. You can either rip up an existing key or get one cut and programmed by me. Your year TL the key can be cloned with the machine I have just like my RSX.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok i am in RI and i have ordered two of these keys off Busa. What should i be expecting for cutting and programming, about $100 (non-dealer)?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Now with i-Vtec

You all are aware that the portion circled can not be used or cut? It needs to be replaced with a standard blank key section. So you would get a copy of your current key and then have the fob and imbedded transpoder programmed to the car and then you would have to remove the section circled in red and replaced with a modded key that you had copied.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
acura-cl.com OG

FLBusa is machinging blanks to fit and work with the above pictured FOB.

so technically, if we have this key cut all we would need is the transponder?

if so, i will cut up my valet key and implant the transponder inside the 07 key-fob, i am sure we can squeeze it in there somewhere......
Old 01-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by ding069
FLBusa is machinging blanks to fit and work with the above pictured FOB.

so technically, if we have this key cut all we would need is the transponder?

if so, i will cut up my valet key and implant the transponder inside the 07 key-fob, i am sure we can squeeze it in there somewhere......

Well if that's the case then the only thing you would have to do is get the key copied. The transponder inside the fob already should program just fine.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:53 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

You all are aware that the portion circled can not be used or cut? It needs to be replaced with a standard blank key section. So you would get a copy of your current key and then have the fob and imbedded transpoder programmed to the car and then you would have to remove the section circled in red and replaced with a modded key that you had copied.
Chris,
I guess you didn't get around to reading the thread I sent you via PM.

FLBusa has found a way to MACHINE the 2007 milled blank into a standard key blank as seen here:

He charges a nominal fee for this service.
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/2007-tl-switchblade-key-354066/

When my keys come back from milling, I'll need to have the standard key cut, and the immobilizer coded by whatever magic machine it is you guys use, and then programmed accorinding to the post

All we need from you is the ability to cut a standard 04/06 TL key and then program it for us. FLBusa indicates the locksmith rate for his area is about $30 for this service... a fee a more than willing to pay to a fellow AZer.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Advanced

I just picked up an '05 certified MT TL on Sunday. I have been spoiled be my "switchblade" key from my '04 VW Passat that I traded in. How much would it cost to get a pair of them for my TL? I guess I would need one Programmed a fob 1 and the other as fob 2?

I am located in South Florida
Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

In for info.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

- I've called Baldino's... $125 minimum
- http://www.one800locksmith.com/ = Won't touch it... Obviously a company that charges exohrbitant rates for "field calls"
- Radley charges 1 hour labor

Looks like us NoVA will be paying the high cost of living tax on this service unless JDM5lughatch can makes something happen for us.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Ok everything seems to have worked out fine (getting the machine). However, first off I need to make sure that Astroboy isn't going to have a problem with this. He pm'd me a warning but, i think he was under the impression that I was selling keys. I am still waiting for his reply.

I am offering my services as a locksmith at a greatly reduced rate. The rate is going to depend on the number of cars/members that will be dedicated to this. I will copy the key for free. I will be able to take cash, check, checkcard, and credit cards as I will be opening my place of work for a few hours on either a saturday or sunday.

So as long as there are no problems with me offering my services here. I need to know what weekend works best also, which is prefered saturday or sunday and the number of members that want this done.

How much of a hurry are you all in to get this done? The more cars the cheaper the price.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Chris,

The issue is many of us are still waiting on our keys from Pete. I mailed mine out today, with the expectation of a 2 week turnaround. Many folks are just now getting on the bandwagon.

If this is an option, I'd consider getting on all the applicable forums and doing a meet 1 Saturday per month over the next three months. This would allow you to get all the folks with keys in hand now, then catch the other folks as thier keys come in.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Talking key

im in. so by doing all this are cutting out the middle man FLBusa and everything can be done by JDM5lughatch. Are we still sending the key to FLBUSA to get it down to 04+tl Specs then getting cut and programmed by JDM5LugHatch.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:23 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by TypeAcuraTL
im in. so by doing all this are cutting out the middle man FLBusa and everything can be done by JDM5lughatch. Are we still sending the key to FLBUSA to get it down to 04+tl Specs then getting cut and programmed by JDM5LugHatch.
Ugh.
That's NOT what is happening...
FLBusa is "converting" 2007 lasercut blank into a 2006 standard blank. You still ahve to do this, as NO locksmith can precision machine the laserblanks into standard blanks.

JDM5lughatch is a locksmith. He will then cut your your freshly modified blank key to match your existing keys, and program it to work with your car.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Cool keys

My Bad. Disregard my Last Post.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Talking

But Im still IN for getting keys cut and programmedby JDM5LugHatch.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Chris,

The issue is many of us are still waiting on our keys from Pete. I mailed mine out today, with the expectation of a 2 week turnaround. Many folks are just now getting on the bandwagon.

If this is an option, I'd consider getting on all the applicable forums and doing a meet 1 Saturday per month over the next three months. This would allow you to get all the folks with keys in hand now, then catch the other folks as thier keys come in.

The problem is that I get nothing out of doing this. Which is fine. Yet I have to open the shop on a saturday or sunday on my day off not to mention get the machine to my shop somehow. Hence why this will be a one time deal. I am not going to do this monthly or even every other month. I am just trying to help everyone out this one time. We can schedule this to be done say 2 months from now if people can wait that long to get everything done.

Now after this I may be able to get everyone a discounted rate yet you will have to travel to a specific location and you will have to do it during our normal business hours 8:30am-5:00pm Monday-Friday closed Saturday and Sunday. You obviously won't get as good of a break this way. It's up to you all to decide whether or not you want this to work out.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

The problem is that I get nothing out of doing this. Which is fine. Yet I have to open the shop on a saturday or sunday on my day off not to mention get the machine to my shop somehow. Hence why this will be a one time deal. I am not going to do this monthly or even every other month. I am just trying to help everyone out this one time. We can schedule this to be done say 2 months from now if people can wait that long to get everything done.

Now after this I may be able to get everyone a discounted rate yet you will have to travel to a specific location and you will have to do it during our normal business hours 8:30am-5:00pm Monday-Friday closed Saturday and Sunday. You obviously won't get as good of a break this way. It's up to you all to decide whether or not you want this to work out.
Fully understand... I think a tip jar on the hood of your car would accomodate a way for us to say "thanks for the time", without violating any policies.

Yeah, I think 5-6 weeks down the road would be ideal, and we'll spam the hell out of it, perhaps even Pete will include it on hi posts.

Just curious BTW. I called Baldino's Stafford and Tysons and asked for a quote. How/Why in the world are some folks getting this done for $30-$50, but Baldino's stafford quoted me $125. That's more expensive than the dealer.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Fully understand... I think a tip jar on the hood of your car would accomodate a way for us to say "thanks for the time", without violating any policies.

Yeah, I think 5-6 weeks down the road would be ideal, and we'll spam the hell out of it, perhaps even Pete will include it on hi posts.

Just curious BTW. I called Baldino's Stafford and Tysons and asked for a quote. How/Why in the world are some folks getting this done for $30-$50, but Baldino's stafford quoted me $125. That's more expensive than the dealer.

Several reasons.

1. They are assuming that you need a key as well which is included in that price

2. Different areas can demand different rates (obviously if you live in an area with a lower cost of living it is probably going to cost less)

3. We are the largest Locksmith company in this area and supposedly the second largest in the US.

4. Very few companies can actually afford a T-code or SDD machine. They are very expensive and can cost upwards of $7k depending on the updates and packages you get. It would take a lot of auto keys not to mention customers to recoup that kind of out of pocket expense to even justify buying one of these machines.

Out of curiosity what is the going rate at a dealer? $88 an hour?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

1) Interesting, I explained I had the key blank in hand... all I needed was the cut and the programming. Needless to say, I'll step out of the way and let you do your thing. Any idea what the charge would be with key in hand?
As a Acura nerd like the rest of us, I'd much rather give you the $ than Radley, who would probably screw up my $100 key I had to wait over a month for.

If my key comes in soon, I may just make a special trip to see you directly.

What fascinates me is the fact noone as created an OBD interface to reprogram the convenience modules for Honda/Acura vehicles.

Back when I was into VW's, a $200 investment in a special USB cable from http://www.ross-tech.com/products.html and I was able to read and reset trouble codes, program keys, adjust ANYTHING. Hell, if you knew the right folks, you could get your odometer reset. I can't believe there's not an equivalent prodcut out there. Makes me ever so slightly miss my VW.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Now with i-Vtec

1) Interesting, I explained I had the key blank in hand... all I needed was the cut and the programming. Needless to say, I'll step out of the way and let you do your thing. Any idea what the charge would be with key in hand?
As a Acura nerd like the rest of us, I'd much rather give you the $ than Radley, who would probably screw up my $100 key I had to wait over a month for.

If my key comes in soon, I may just make a special trip to see you directly.

What fascinates me is the fact noone as created an OBD interface to reprogram the convenience modules for Honda/Acura vehicles.

Back when I was into VW's, a $200 investment in a special USB cable from http://www.ross-tech.com/products.html and I was able to read and reset trouble codes, program keys, adjust ANYTHING. Hell, if you knew the right folks, you could get your odometer reset. I can't believe there's not an equivalent prodcut out there. Makes me ever so slightly miss my VW.
VW's are such a nightmare and they have so many electrical gremlins they need something like that.... haha.... j/k I know the generic vag tool can be had at a pretty inexpensive price as a friend has one for his R32. With volkswagons it pays for itself within a few days.... I keed I keed

Unfortunately honda's aren't like that at all.

Depending on the number of attendees the price range should be between $40-$75. Obviously the more people the lower the price yet i need to see how many are looking to really get this done and when before I can put something like this in stone.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Racer

i wish i could be in too. where is fairfax? near DC?

i just got on the list from FLBUSA and am awaiting for my memory 1 switchblade key to arrive in the mail from acura of escondido on eBay.

hey, JDM5LugHatch, would you be willing to do this by mail also or is this only an offer available to local VA/DC/MD people?

also, i am a still a little confused. after you get the key milled by FLBUSA and then sent to JDM5LugHatch to get the key cut and programmed for your car, will the key be fully functional to use on my car?

thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by jsong83
i wish i could be in too. where is fairfax? near DC?

i just got on the list from FLBUSA and am awaiting for my memory 1 switchblade key to arrive in the mail from acura of escondido on eBay.

hey, JDM5LugHatch, would you be willing to do this by mail also or is this only an offer available to local VA/DC/MD people?

also, i am a still a little confused. after you get the key milled by FLBUSA and then sent to JDM5LugHatch to get the key cut and programmed for your car, will the key be fully functional to use on my car?

thanks in advance

Nobody is sending me anything! You have to bring the vehicle to me as that is the only way to program the keys. The vehicle must be present! This is a one time offer. That's it!

Once again the only thing I am doing is cutting your new key (to match your current key) and programming the transponder in the new key (that you are buying else where) to your vehicle.

My shop is in Woodbridge and you will have to make the trek to me in order to get in on this. There is no other way or option period. Well not unless you want to go the dealer and or another locksmith. End of story.

***NOTE*** Please read this thread fully before asking questions.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Now with i-Vtec

bump for the locals....
Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced

I am in. My keys have been milled already and I have them back in hand. So I am ready for these to be cut and programmed now. Only problem is finding a knowledgeable locksmith in this area, which is proving difficult so far. If you can do this within the next two weeks, I'm game.

On the other hand, what would the discounted rate be if we just showed up in Newington? Is the price per key, or could I give you two keys to program (I have read here that all existing keys for the car have to be reprogrammed when you program a new one)?? Could I drive to Newington today to get this done?? Who would I ask for?

Myles

BTW - I have an 06 TSX in case that matters..
Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by mgoblu
I am in. My keys have been milled already and I have them back in hand. So I am ready for these to be cut and programmed now. Only problem is finding a knowledgeable locksmith in this area, which is proving difficult so far. If you can do this within the next two weeks, I'm game.

On the other hand, what would the discounted rate be if we just showed up in Newington? Is the price per key, or could I give you two keys to program (I have read here that all existing keys for the car have to be reprogrammed when you program a new one)?? Could I drive to Newington today to get this done?? Who would I ask for?

Myles

BTW - I have an 06 TSX in case that matters..
Newington will charge you $125 I'm pretty sure. BTW if you read the thread and can hold out for a month or 2 it will be significantly less depending on the number of people. If you want to go pay regular prices go for it. I'm sure they can help you.

The discount I am offering is a one time deal people. I run the Woodbridge location and the discount only applies if you come to me all at once. Kinda like how Dyno Days work. I don't know what our other locations may charge you and there are no discounts if you go to one of the other locations. When we have enough people interested and ready then we will schedule a day and time. Please UNDERSTAND this!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced

I understand you loud and clear man. My questions were in response to the following, which you said above...

So I thought you meant we'd be able to get our keys cut whenever we wanted (albeit not for the ultra-cheap price of your one-time-only deal on a sat/sun), at a discounted price if we just showed up to the one Baldino's that had the right machine? Maybe I misread the quote?? Please clarify.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by mgoblu
I understand you loud and clear man. My questions were in response to the following, which you said above...

So I thought you meant we'd be able to get our keys cut whenever we wanted (albeit not for the ultra-cheap price of your one-time-only deal on a sat/sun), at a discounted price if we just showed up to the one Baldino's that had the right machine? Maybe I misread the quote?? Please clarify.

Thanks.

Well after the initial programming meet I may be able to work in a couple of deals. That is no guarantee though just a possibility. Obviously they aren't going to offer any sort of discounts unless this original idea works out.

The only reason that they are allowing me to get the machine is because the shop will be making money while it's normally closed and the machine isn't obviously being used on the weekends.

So if you want to get it done sooner. You can go to Newington VA and ask for Billy. The price is $125.

Hopefully this will answer the questions that I haven't already answered or clears up any confusion that some of this has caused.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Ahh ok. Gotcha now.

Well obviously this is not a necessity for me (I have two working keys already), so much as I'd like to do this now, I'll just wait for this meet to happen.

Thanks for looking into this dude!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Now with i-Vtec

no problem.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Starting a list of those who want in on this:

1. Leedogg 1 key

Quick Reply: Looking for locksmith in NO.VA for 07 switchblade key