Looking to buy a TL with salvage title, advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011 | 12:26 AM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

Smile Looking to buy a TL with salvage title, advice appreciated

Hello all,

Hoping to soon be a regular of this forum soon. I have a quick question regarding a potential purchase I am to make for a 2004 Acura TL.

The car has some high mileage on it, but hopefully it isn't too much for a honda/acura chassis. It currently has roughly 127,000 on the ODO.

The car is fully loaded, as in, it includes the navigation package (don't think there were any other real options other than that, correct me if I am wrong)

Here's the thing--the car has currently a salvage title. The salvage title, according to the seller, is due to hail damage. From looking at the pictures, I cannot spot out too many imperfections, so closer inspection is probably required on my part.

My question is, while doing this inspection, what OTHER things should I look for in a 2004 TL? Things that are notorious or otherwise that I should inspect closer at? The seller also mentioned that the NAV screen currently isn't displaying the proper "stuff", and said that he called the dealer and they told him that it was about a 275 dollar fix to "reset" the system or something. I am a bit wary about this piece of information.

All in all, the price is very tempting. I won't go into much detail, but it's low, with a potential to be even lower.

Thanks for your time guys,

Cheers,
Old 08-16-2011 | 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Many threads concerning a vehicle with a salvage title, but personally I've never been interested in any vehicle with a salvage title at any price. You’ll want to see the documented reason for the car being salvaged and the shop/person that did the repair, pictures are great. Make certain the car is now registered or what needs to be done to have it registered in your state.

I’d be concerned with the Nav as they aren’t cheap to repair, especially if it’s the box in the trunk. If it is the box, do a search as I found that the company will do the repair quite inexpensively @ $150 quite a while ago if the box is sent to them. Run the VIN through an Acura dealer to see if any records or if any outstanding recalls. Make certain all tires are wearing evenly and everything else (all power equipment) is up to snuff and working properly. I'd also try and make certain that the timing belt was replaced at the 105k mile mark. If not and breaks, say goodbye to the engine as it is an interference engine.

As far as the drive train, they are very durable, but some have experienced trans problems and that seems to be the weak point of the TL's.

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-16-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2011 | 09:09 AM
takin care of Business in

OP...I agree with Turbonut....he highlighted some points I didnt think of...let me put the others down in a point format:

1> 04 TL's were prone to transmission issues....if you can take her for a drive and smell the tranny fluid for any burning smell and very very dark pink-ish color....this would indicate that the tranny is on its way out....If no smell and the color is nice and pink, your good to go on that front....

2> Navi screens are not an issue....even if the screen is not working you can buy it on Azine for 300-400 or 500ish with the radio....So if your getting a hell of deal, go for it.....

3> 105K service....see if this was performed...if not then get it done right there/do it yourself (if you are mechanically inclined)....I got mine done at 130K...i know i know but yeah....so again this could be a negotiation point...

hope this helps...
Old 08-16-2011 | 09:39 AM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

^^Thank you for the transmission fluid advice. Will try to check that out if possible. As for the nav, apparently it works, just something with the programming is off at the time being. Hopefully this isn't something that is too crucial of a dealbreaker, as the nav being included in the car has been an added incentive to purchase the TL

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Many threads concerning a vehicle with a salvage title, but personally I've never been interested in any vehicle with a salvage title at any price. You’ll want to see the documented reason for the car being salvaged and the shop/person that did the repair, pictures are great. Make certain the car is now registered or what needs to be done to have it registered in your state.

I’d be concerned with the Nav as they aren’t cheap to repair, especially if it’s the box in the trunk. If it is the box, do a search as I found that the company will do the repair quite inexpensively @ $150 quite a while ago if the box is sent to them. Run the VIN through an Acura dealer to see if any records or if any outstanding recalls. Make certain all tires are wearing evenly and everything else (all power equipment) is up to snuff and working properly. I'd also try and make certain that the timing belt was replaced at the 105k mile mark. If not and breaks, say goodbye to the engine as it is an interference engine.

As far as the drive train, they are very durable, but some have experienced trans problems and that seems to be the weak point of the TL's.
Thanks for the advice. Am i then allowed to call Acura without owning the car to run the VIN number by them? Or should i just "Carfax" it?

Once more thanks again. Hopefully will check out the vehicle today
Old 08-16-2011 | 10:02 AM
takin care of Business in

^^^ Carfax will not have the 105K service will it ?

You can just run the VIN through a dealer and see what all "services" were done on the car...
Old 08-16-2011 | 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Just a note on the trans fluid. It is colored red/pink to distinguish it from other fluids and over time it will change color and that is perfectly normal. Just check to see if it is burnt and dark brown.
Old 08-16-2011 | 09:04 PM
5th Gear

I would give the underside a complete inspection. Also look at all the body lines and how the doors, trunk and hood close. Take it to a reputable shop and spend the $100 for the piece of mind a full inspection brings plus it may keep you out trouble.

If it was anything but hail damage I would question the deal not because other damage can't be fixed but if they aren't giving you the whole story you can't trust their work. If it was in another kind of accident check the airbags. I wouldn't shy away from an S-title if you are getting a great deal and this allows you to get the car but again you don't want to buy a mess.
Old 08-16-2011 | 09:06 PM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

^Yup, good call. First will have my mechanic inspect it out himself, and then if things pan out upon first inspection, he'll deem it worthy for full inspection at the shop

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Just a note on the trans fluid. It is colored red/pink to distinguish it from other fluids and over time it will change color and that is perfectly normal. Just check to see if it is burnt and dark brown.
Thanks turbonut--forgive me for sounding noobish, I come mainly from the Toyota side of things, but how would I go about checking the transmission fluid specifically for the TL? Any inside pointers?
Old 08-16-2011 | 09:12 PM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

Also, just HOW prevalent are these tranny woes for the 04 TL? It seems like that is the major peeve people are having, but then again, i also have a feeling that this is more frequent as people tend to review the negatives more when posting online as opposed to positives
Old 08-16-2011 | 10:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by atrac7
As for the nav, apparently it works, just something with the programming is off at the time being. Hopefully this isn't something that is too crucial of a dealbreaker, as the nav being included in the car has been an added incentive to purchase the TL

It sounds like you could be talking about updating the navigation disc. If that's the case it's definitely not a deal breaker. You can pick up the 2011 navi update from Acura for $185.
Old 08-16-2011 | 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Can I ask how much your getting it for? And is it auto?
Old 08-17-2011 | 01:15 AM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

^between 5000-7000, depending on negotiation

Originally Posted by cpm06wdptl
It sounds like you could be talking about updating the navigation disc. If that's the case it's definitely not a deal breaker. You can pick up the 2011 navi update from Acura for $185.
Yeah, all damage done ot the car is outside with the dings from the hail...there is nothing to suggest that anything serious is up with the navigation....hopefully
Old 08-17-2011 | 01:16 AM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

and yes, it is the 5 speed auto
Old 08-17-2011 | 01:22 AM
Instructor

Would never buy a salvage title, just not worth the risk nor is it worth the hassle of trying to resell it in the future. I have found clean title, excellent condition 6 spd 04 TL's for $6.5k-8k, but they're very rare. Wouldn't bother with a salvage, especially not an autotragic.
Old 08-17-2011 | 02:28 PM
06 Anthracite TL

The ONLY circumstances under which I would get the car are as follows:
-Salvage title ONLY from hail damage
-No other damage history/ no airbag deployment
-Price between $5K-7K...I'd shoot for $5K with 127,000 miles
-You plan on keeping it for a long time or handing it down to someone else when you're done with it- reselling it will give you a great hassle in explaining to any potential buyers why it has a salvage title, then they will try to lowball you in the $3-5K range

-If the seller won't take near the $5K figure, I'd walk away from it.

Transmission wise, if it runs well, and you buy it, I would do the 3x3 transmission fluid change and change the 3rd and 4th gear transmission switches, then you should be good to go.

Last edited by erdoc48; 08-17-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2011 | 01:39 AM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

Originally Posted by erdoc48
The ONLY circumstances under which I would get the car are as follows:
-Salvage title ONLY from hail damage
-No other damage history/ no airbag deployment
-Price between $5K-7K...I'd shoot for $5K with 127,000 miles
-You plan on keeping it for a long time or handing it down to someone else when you're done with it- reselling it will give you a great hassle in explaining to any potential buyers why it has a salvage title, then they will try to lowball you in the $3-5K range

-If the seller won't take near the $5K figure, I'd walk away from it.

Transmission wise, if it runs well, and you buy it, I would do the 3x3 transmission fluid change and change the 3rd and 4th gear transmission switches, then you should be good to go.
That is along the lines of my thinking as well...I have had experience with salvage titles before, but now that I think about it, the only one worthwhile to me, like you said, is hail damage. This is the one designation to me where nothing truly harmful was done to the structural/mechanical integrity of the car...the miles are high yes, but I am hoping that judging by the way it runs, whether the car is near its last leg or not

Also, i take the 3X3 tran fluid change means repeating the process a few times as opposed to a TRANSMISSION flush?

Anyway to point me to such discussion as well regarding the 3rd and 4th gear switches? Is this something I can tackle on my own?

I appreciate the responses once more guys
Old 08-18-2011 | 01:57 AM
Instructor

Hello. please make sure to check the frame, do a mechanical inspection and the airbag deployment just to see how bad was the previous damage or maybe a very long past damage on the car. Ask for the carfax, it is really important.
It is a great car, mine is also a 2004 acura tl.
5000 to 7000$ is kinda a semi average range for the car and considering a 2004 acura tl used gets sell in between 12000 to 17000 it means that it has something of damage, but then again maybe it was fixed already. We have to remember that sometimes damages affect car values, but that doesnt mean the car doesnt run good. this type of car runs perfectly with 250000 , even 270000, I guess the main problem is the transmission box that needs to be change maybe 1 or two times. Also another thing to rememeber is that is a car with reasonable cost parts, even the motor i think is somewhere around 1200$(if i am not correct someone correct me there)
Good luck taking a decision.
Old 08-18-2011 | 05:32 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Originally Posted by atrac7
That is along the lines of my thinking as well...I have had experience with salvage titles before, but now that I think about it, the only one worthwhile to me, like you said, is hail damage. This is the one designation to me where nothing truly harmful was done to the structural/mechanical integrity of the car...the miles are high yes, but I am hoping that judging by the way it runs, whether the car is near its last leg or not

Also, i take the 3X3 tran fluid change means repeating the process a few times as opposed to a TRANSMISSION flush?

Anyway to point me to such discussion as well regarding the 3rd and 4th gear switches? Is this something I can tackle on my own?

I appreciate the responses once more guys

Only a 3x3 transmission drain and fill (there's a DIY here on Azine) and the switches are easy but I had mine done at the garage I use for $27 (for the installation). No transmission flushes as this can damage the transmission.
Old 08-19-2011 | 10:21 PM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

well, i went ahead and bit the bullet

car will be dropped off to my house tomorrow...going to do a bunch of maintenance and preventive things to it before i really take it out for daily use
Old 08-20-2011 | 01:16 AM
Instructor

PosT some pics of the exterior and interior as well of how is under the hood so we can all have a look at it. Hope it all turns good. Is a great car and will last long as long it have mantainance