3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look What Poor Audi Owners Must Live With...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look What Poor Audi Owners Must Live With...

I was reading a thread in one of Audi's forums and here is what I came accross...

"The Nav system that we get in the USA is not worth the money because of the lack of features. You can get an aftermarket full featured full screen nav system for about the same price.

If we were able to get Nav+ in the USA, then I would probably think about getting it. The non-Nav+ system is not worth it to me."

It goes on to also talk about how USA Audi equipped cars don't have NAVI in the traditional sense but it's a small screen in the center of the speedo and it's very limited.

Why buy an Audi? To each his own I guess.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:19 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
i just wanna laugh...
Old 12-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Look What Poor Audi Owners Must Live With...

When I checked on Audi in Summer, their sales told me the same thing. They agree Audi doesn't bring any good Navi to US, but they asked "why you need Navi"? Good points... I was looking for Navi vehicles for the whole summer.

Audi is a good car without Navi. Indeed. But A4 is as small as my old Civic. A6 is the old fashion car which is gonna remodel soon.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who really does need navi? It's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map. Plus you will use your brain more. It's like calculators. Use it enough times to do simple calculus and soon you've forgotten how it all works and cannot do anything without a calculator. Just use your head. Audi makes some nice cars such as the S4 and people should not write them off because of no navigation. Also, another thing about navigation that drives me nuts is that you have to update the software and pay the dealer more money. Why bother? It's a nice touch, but totally unnecessary for most folks. Why if I ever ..... oh wait, what's that smell? Smells like smoke. I feel the flames coming.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Why buy an Audi ?

The answer is plain and simple - Quattro AWD system. Audi makes the best AWD system for cars. Unfortunately, Audi's reliability is one of the worst.

Not everyone lives in Sunny-all-year-round California. Only those who live in snow-bound winters or go skiing in high mountains will appreciate the only reason for buying an Audi.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Banned

Here they are!!!:ar15: :bigun2: :chainsaw: :rocketwho :tflamer:
Old 12-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by vandy786
Who really does need navi? It's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map. Plus you will use your brain more. It's like calculators. Use it enough times to do simple calculus and soon you've forgotten how it all works and cannot do anything without a calculator. Just use your head. Audi makes some nice cars such as the S4 and people should not write them off because of no navigation. Also, another thing about navigation that drives me nuts is that you have to update the software and pay the dealer more money. Why bother? It's a nice touch, but totally unnecessary for most folks. Why if I ever ..... oh wait, what's that smell? Smells like smoke. I feel the flames coming.
Totally disagree with you. I will tell you who needs NAVI. People who are in sales for one. People who go to new places regularly to see new things, meet people, etc --People who have enriched lives. It is NOT for people who only go from home to work and occassionaly to their local watering hole, etc. --People with non-exciting, routine lives.
Also you cannot make the analogy with the calculator. Knowing how to read a map is not hard hard to do and it is NOT like calculus as you mention and cannot be forgotten, and by the way I have never seen anyone do simple calculus on a simple calculator. Using technology to save time and make our lives easier is the intelligent thing to do. We, who use and appreciate NAVI, get to our destination faster and therefore have more time to do what we need and want to do rather than fumbling through maps, stopping at roadside stations, and wasting important time. If you don't need NAVI, that's fine, but many of us recognize and appreciate its usefulness.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Audi actually makes a pretty decent Nav system. They just don't import it to the U.S. Starting next year, you'll be able to get Audi's Nav+ which includes the features offered in pretty much all the factory LCD navigation systems. Nav is important to some people. I got a V70R over an S4 because Audi doesn't offer Nav yet.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by 00TLOwner
Totally disagree with you. I will tell you who needs NAVI. People who are in sales for one. People who go to new places regularly to see new things, meet people, etc --People who have enriched lives. It is NOT for people who only go from home to work and occassionaly to their local watering hole, etc. --People with non-exciting, routine lives.
Also you cannot make the analogy with the calculator. Knowing how to read a map is not hard hard to do and it is NOT like calculus as you mention and cannot be forgotten, and by the way I have never seen anyone do simple calculus on a simple calculator. Using technology to save time and make our lives easier is the intelligent thing to do. We, who use and appreciate NAVI, get to our destination faster and therefore have more time to do what we need and want to do rather than fumbling through maps, stopping at roadside stations, and wasting important time. If you don't need NAVI, that's fine, but many of us recognize and appreciate its usefulness.
00TLOwner makes some good points. I'll add some addtional ones. I like the fact that a good NAV system can help me re-route when there are traffic accidents, road delays, etc. I like the fact that when there is an emergency I can find the nearest (insert your choice of hospital, police station, fire dept. etc.).

I have been a pilot of many years and I can't tell you how wonderful it was when we started to use airborne GPS systems. Talk about reducing the workload in the cockpit. A good NAV systems allows you to concentrate on what is important (controlling your vehicle) and not on stuff like the damn map fell on the floor.

I also like the fact that a NAV system allows me to save fuel by finding the most efficient route. Sometimes they are wrong but I find for the most part they do a darn good job.

Believe me my brain stays sharp enough without extraneous and needless work of just reading a map. I have learned enough about map reading, charts, compass readings, true vs. mag. North that the last thing I want to do is look at another map! Nor do I want to have to pull over in the middle of a traffic jam to figure out my best route to avoid the mess. Heck, I even have GPS on my sportbike because it's so handy not to mention no one believes you that it will go over 190mph until you show the GPS reading that shows maximum speed attained.

Like all good technology, the best types is the one that enriches your life without interference. A good GPS system has no downsides to me other than cost.

Of course if you want to be a modern day Luddite that is your choice. Don't buy the NAV and it will keep my cost down on my TL!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by Edward'TLS
Why buy an Audi ?

The answer is plain and simple - Quattro AWD system. Audi makes the best AWD system for cars. .
You are missinformed.....

Is ok if you say they make a decent AWD, but the best.....it doesn't even come close to the AWD of the nissan skyline R34.

I wasn't a bit impressed with the one I test drove, but it was more of an overall feeling not just the AWD....
Old 12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Who really does need navi? It's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map. Plus you will use your brain more.
Forget flames. I'm not going to flame you...even if that was a stupid post.

I use my navi constantly for business. I never have to ask for directions anymore from clients. I'm never late for meetings while I pour over a Thomas Guide on the side of the road...

I use it all the time to find restaurants and other businesses that I'm heading to.

I use it whenever I'm in another city, which is quite often. We were up in Santa Barbara this weekend and it was awesome for locating our hotel, a vineyard, a restaurant...when I got confused late at night and didn't know how to get back to the hotel...

I'll never buy a car without a Navi...except maybe when I get my certified pre-owned NSX!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Gearhead

Audi makes a good AWD system but I do disagree with some of the things they do. I have had 5 Audis AWDs in the last 3 years and here is my take.

1. The EDL (electronic diff. lock) seems better than nothing but I have found it works by braking a spinning wheel. So when I was hauling but UP a snowy hill my brakes practically fried when I got to the TOP of the hill instead of normally at the bottom.

Ditch the EDL and put a Torsen in it front and rear.

2. Overall the system is very smooth and seamless in operation and is excellent for 95% of the people.

3. You can't argue with the cost. Audi sells it at their cost of about $1750/car. No one else offers AWD for such an inexpensive upgrade.

4. Like most but not all AWD system, it could use more RWD bias in the tuning of the AWD. I would like to see them have some of the control that Sube has in the new STi over the entire system.

I wouldn't mind seeing controls where I could change the front to rear bias and be able to lock both the front, center and rear differentials.

5. AWD smokes any form of traction control system I've seen for either FWD or RWD cars especially if these cars have open diffs. There is no substitute for having more wheels actually putting power to the ground. That is why LSD pay such big advantages as most FWD and RWD cars when not equipped with a LSD are really only 1-wheel drive cars and can easily get stuck with only 1 wheel spinning.

6. I really wish Acura would make a TL with AWD ala Audi and keep the price reasonable as an option like Audi does.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Agree with 00TLOwner & wavshrdr.

Don't buy Navi if you don't like it. It's simple.

Non-Navi has some significant price gap from Navi now...

Although Navi is 100% accurate, you have to agree how useful it is. I don't need to pull over to check map or wake up my wife to read for me. Who can remember all the directions from Hamilton Place, Chattanooga to Graceland, Memphis without reading them again and again? Besides remembering your map routes, your brain still gets millions of things to do, and I can think of somehing else instead of concentrating my directions. Your brain won't forget how to read maps in the future. And, u can enjoy more on driving instead of reading

Also, 04TL got other features, too. I like "find nearest fast food"...
Old 12-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wavshrdr
Like most but not all AWD system, it could use more RWD bias in the tuning of the AWD.

I really wish Acura would make a TL with AWD ala Audi and keep the price reasonable as an option like Audi does.
Haldex II's reaction time provides sub-second responses to wheel slip making Torsen's advantage less meaningful. Also, since Haldex is electronic, it can be programmed to react proactively to throttle response, vehicle angle and yaw, and steering input to correct over and understeer and reduce squat and dive under acceleration and braking. This is what Volvo's done with their 4C active suspension (http://vcc.volvocars.se/r/chassiframe.asp?which=signal).
Old 12-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Gearhead

Originally posted by BarryH
Haldex II's reaction time provides sub-second responses to wheel slip making Torsen's advantage less meaningful. Also, since Haldex is electronic, it can be programmed to react proactively to throttle response, vehicle angle and yaw, and steering input to correct over and understeer and reduce squat and dive under acceleration and braking. This is what Volvo's done with their 4C active suspension (http://vcc.volvocars.se/r/chassiframe.asp?which=signal).
I like the advantages of the Haldex II but as an engineer I also like things that are easy to maintain. My point was not to say what I personally thought was best but just to give an example of WHY I didn't like Audi's implementation of their EDL. I am not a big fan of using the brakes to improve acceleration. I do understand the benefit with stability control and the like.

I can tell you when an Audi breaks it is damn expensive to repair and the more electronics you add the quicker the cost goes up. Sometimes the design engineers don't think much about the repair costs down the road. Just something to think about if you plan on owning a car for a long time...
Old 12-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I will tell you who needs NAVI. People who are in sales for one. People who go to new places regularly to see new things, meet people, etc --People who have enriched lives. It is NOT for people who only go from home to work and occassionaly to their local watering hole, etc. --People with non-exciting, routine lives.
Thanks for the laugh. I guess we all have different definitions of "enriched" when it comes to our lives.

Mike
Who didn't get NAVI because he drives mostly between work and home, but doesn't consider his life "non-enriched" by any stretch.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

If it makes anyone feel good, I saw a brand spankin new A8 stalled on the side of a highway her and being prepd to be towed. I laughed for a while, but I had the same problem with my Altima which was repurchased via the leman law.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:58 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally posted by Bitium
You are missinformed.....

Is ok if you say they make a decent AWD, but the best.....it doesn't even come close to the AWD of the nissan skyline R34.

I wasn't a bit impressed with the one I test drove, but it was more of an overall feeling not just the AWD....
Too bad, we don't get the Skyline R34 from Nissan dealerships in North America. If it is so good, I wonder why Nissan doesn't offer the Nissan AWD in every (including affordable) Nissan lines as an option, like the Audi's.

I wonder where Nissan was when the Audi quattro coupe dominated the world rally races back in the 70's. Audi has been building Quattro AWD since then. Again, only if Audi can make its cars more reliable.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Dr. TLS

What a great post, except for the fact you totally missed my point. Audi makes great cars (and AWD systems) and should not be snubbed because they may not offer a navigation system. As far as having an excited life, I guess you're too stupid to realize that people can get around and have exciting lives even without navi. What a nice personal attack you made on me just because I expressed my opinion. I don't find the $2000 premium on navigation worth it so I didn't get one. If you really needed one, you can get one for much cheaper at tech stores. Maybe you're too stupid to get around without a navi but many of us aren't. I agree about the potential usefulness of a navi system. Also, technology is nice when it works. Other times it leads you to the wrong destination or won't work right. When I first posted on this thread, I wanted to point out that Audi makes great cars even if they don't have navi. I'm not a navi hater like that one idiot made me out to be.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vandy786
[B]Who really does need navi? It's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map. Plus you will use your brain listen to NAVi tell you where to go. ???

"...it's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map."

This is what "vandy786" said!? Really?

WOW! So I guess it's not safe for you to continue on driving and listen to NAVI TELL you where to go without even having to look at the damn screen!?

Did you even think before you typed that last post?

Anyways, I test drove the A6 last week and wasn't impressed. Now realizing that they are limited with their Navi just solidifies my disappointment in the car. It wasn't fast (referring to the 3.0), the seats were hard and it just seemed boring to me. And then on top of this, hearing how Audi owners would consider opting for an aftermarket NAVI...no way! Not me! And not for that price that Audi is asking for either.

I still can't get over that post I read..."safter to stop on the road...oh my.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Dr. TLS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nickerz
[B]
Who really does need navi? It's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map. Plus you will use your brain listen to NAVi tell you where to go. ???

"...it's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map."

This is what "vandy786" said!? Really?

WOW! So I guess it's not safe for you to continue on driving and listen to NAVI TELL you where to go without even having to look at the damn screen!?

Did you even think before you typed that last post?

Anyways, I test drove the A6 last week and wasn't impressed. Now realizing that they are limited with their Navi just solidifies my disappointment in the car. It wasn't fast (referring to the 3.0), the seats were hard and it just seemed boring to me. And then on top of this, hearing how Audi owners would consider opting for an aftermarket NAVI...no way! Not me! And not for that price that Audi is asking for either.

I still can't get over that post I read..."safter to stop on the road...oh my.
Yea but wouldn't you have to tell it where you're going? I would imagine that would divert some of your attention. Or do they make psychic navis now?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:16 PM
Comptech Freak

the german cars got some stupid designs on their Navi system and A/C...

they are much complex and never to be user friendly compared to the japanese cars, as they reallie work into those stuff and make it worth the price~

that's just my 2 cents, but go look at the lexus LS, it's so brillliant compare with the BMW's
Old 12-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rets
Yeah, that is a good feature to have.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Instructor

What a great post, except for the fact you totally missed my point. Audi makes great cars (and AWD systems) and should not be snubbed because they may not offer a navigation system. As far as having an excited life, I guess you're too stupid to realize that people can get around and have exciting lives even without navi. What a nice personal attack you made on me just because I expressed my opinion. I don't find the $2000 premium on navigation worth it so I didn't get one. If you really needed one, you can get one for much cheaper at tech stores. Maybe you're too stupid to get around without a navi but many of us aren't. I agree about the potential usefulness of a navi system. Also, technology is nice when it works. Other times it leads you to the wrong destination or won't work right. When I first posted on this thread, I wanted to point out that Audi makes great cars even if they don't have navi. I'm not a navi hater like that one idiot made me out to be.
I didn't miss your point. You clearly said "Who really does need navi?" What's to miss about that?
The difference between me and you is that I replied (in your definition "attacked") to what you said AND YOU expected flames but I didn't attack YOU. YOU on the other attacked me personally by calling me names. You now its funny, first you say "Who really needs NAVI". You didn't say anything about cheaper units in your first post. You just discredited the whole concept of NAVI. Also it is evident from this last post that you haven't tried a NAVI system lately. I have never been taken to the wrong place, because I follow the instructions and enter the location or place as described in the manual. It has always worked right as can be testified by others here. I have had units that are cheaper (with my IPAQ, and a relatives Garmin Unit). They work good, but it is a pain to constantly hook up and unhook in the car (for fear of theft), as well as inconvenient to load and unload map data from a computer. I personally found it tremendously valuable to have VOICE activated NAVI and Bluetooth Phone Feature (which comes together as one package in Canada) and apparently so did a huge group of people as can be testified by the demand for NAVI cars. So buddy, unlike you, I am not going to downgrade my self to your level (pun intended) and call you names. I would only suggest that you don't get all bent out of shape when someone replies to a statement you make that is made without the full perspective. Like I said if you don't want NAVI, its perfectly fine.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:47 AM
Dr. TLS

It is NOT for people who only go from home to work and occassionaly to their local watering hole, etc. --People with non-exciting, routine lives.
You don't call that a personal attack? Then look at this. Apparently you also offended others with that statement:

Originally posted by svtmike
Thanks for the laugh. I guess we all have different definitions of "enriched" when it comes to our lives.

Mike
Who didn't get NAVI because he drives mostly between work and home, but doesn't consider his life "non-enriched" by any stretch.
So there you go. You don't have to downgrade yourself further to stoop to my level: you are already there or even further down below so just continue your way on down if it makes you happy like your navigation system.

Also it is evident from this last post that you haven't tried a NAVI system lately. I have never been taken to the wrong place, because I follow the instructions and enter the location or place as described in the manual.
Apparently you've never tried one either. A Navi is not always 100% correct as someone already posted in this thread as well as many others. Just use the search feature.

You just discredited the whole concept of NAVI.
Nope. You're spending too much time thinking about my posts. I said NAVI is not a necessity in a car. Hence, people should not snub Audi. Let me beat that into your head again: there are normal people who live happy, filling, fun, and satisfied lives and they do not have navigation. Hope you get it now. If not, I'll try my best to break it down to you once again.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro

Interesting post ... and while I agree there is a market out there for Navi .. as there are many people who find it useful, I however do not. My driving habits, locations, rarely have me in a situation where I am unable to determine where I am or find where I'm going. I'm not a salesman nor someone who puts on 30k miles/year .. I'm more of a casual driver of my car who spends a great deal of time experiencing his car on the back 2 lane highways in the country. Spending the $2k on a Navi system was an option that was not needed nor bought. I praise Acura (I have very FEW praises for Acura) for still making Navi an "option" that can be purchased by those that see value in it and skipped by those that don't. I just happen to fall into the "don't" category.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Please read your original post:

."
Who really does need navi? It's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map. Plus you will use your brain more. It's like calculators.
You are implying that no-one really needs it! This is a general statment. Although it in this thread that is based on Audi, it is still a general statement.

I disagreed with your statement, and you go and try to add the Audi angle, you try justifiying it and clearifying it and call me names. You also keep ignoring the facts of my arguments. If you can't stand by your originial statement than retract it. I for one am man enough to take back my statment of :

It is NOT for people who only go from home to work and occassionaly to their local watering hole, etc. --People with non-exciting, routine lives.
Are you man enough to take back your attacks?
There is no real point in continuing this as it is useless and a waste of time. Nothing positive is being achieved.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Look...

If NAVi was free all of you whining about how you don't need it would be like, "I love Navi, it's sooo convenient and, and, and..." on and on.

Saying things like, "I don't need Navi b/c I can read a map" is just plain stupid, ignorant!

I don't need a damn computer to send an email to my mom to keep in touch with her, but ya know what, it's a hella lot more convenient than writing a letter and sending it through the mail. Guess what, all you jokers out there writing these posts paid a lot of money for a computer too. Same difference jackasses!

Guess what, I can have the $2000 (price for NAVI) financed with the car which means I'm paying pennies a day for it over the years. Some of you jackasses spend more than this on your memberships to porn sites just to get a glimpse of that whore Paris Hilton! LOL!

Now who's feeling disconnected from the world of technology!?

ACURA TL w/NAVIGATION RULES! HA! AUDI'S DO NOT!
Old 12-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Don't buy Navi if you don't like it. It's simple.

Non-Navi has some significant price gap from Navi now...

Although Navi is 100% accurate, you have to agree how useful it is. I don't need to pull over to check map or wake up my wife to read for me. Who can remember all the directions from Hamilton Place, Chattanooga to Graceland, Memphis without reading them again and again? Besides remembering your map routes, your brain still gets millions of things to do, and I can think of somehing else instead of concentrating my directions. Your brain won't forget how to read maps in the future. And, u can enjoy more on driving instead of reading

I agree with on "I don't need to pull over to check map" But not all NAV system are created equal, I know the Mercedes and Lexus, you will have to pull over to change a destination, one more reason to get an acura.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Dr. TLS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 00TLOwner
Please read your original post:

Who really does need navi? It's probably safer to stop on the side of the road and just read a map. Plus you will use your brain more. It's like calculators.

You are implying that no-one really needs it! This is a general statment. Although it in this thread that is based on Audi, it is still a general statement.

I disagreed with your statement, and you go and try to add the Audi angle, you try justifiying it and clearifying it and call me names. You also keep ignoring the facts of my arguments. If you can't stand by your originial statement than retract it. I for one am man enough to take back my statment of :

Are you man enough to take back your attacks?
There is no real point in continuing this as it is useless and a waste of time. Nothing positive is being achieved.
Okay, lets try this again: my statements taken out of context can indeed be used to paint me as a navigation hater. When you read a paper or a story book, you don't just read the first sentence. Right after the part where you stopped my quote, I clearly say: "Just use your head. Audi makes some nice cars such as the S4 and people should not write them off because of no navigation. You have serious issues and I'm glad you were man enough to admit you were wrong in saying everyone needs a navigation because if they don't have one their lives are boring. Now lets see if you are smart enough to realize what my original post meant. Nice try with the selective quoting but it won't fly here. It's like taking a statement such as "I am not retarded" that someone makes and later quoting it as "I am retarded" and conveniently omitting the key word NOT.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro

Even if Navi was free .. I wouldn't have use for it .. However, if Acura would make the display useful by making it a PDA (with Navi just one app on it), then I'd have more of a use for it and would consider the investment. But simply reading a DVD with outdated maps on it? Nahhhh
Old 12-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Look What Poor Audi Owners Must Live With...

When I checked on Audi in Summer, their sales told me the same thing. They agree Audi doesn't bring any good Navi to US, but they asked "why you need Navi"? Good points... I was looking for Navi vehicles for the whole summer.

Audi is a good car without Navi. Indeed. But A4 is as small as my old Civic. A6 is the old fashion car which is gonna remodel soon.
The 2002+ A4 is not as small as your Civic. The older ones were. The 02+ is about the same size as the TSX.

I used to own one.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Look What Poor Audi Owners Must Live With...

Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
The 2002+ A4 is not as small as your Civic. The older ones were. The 02+ is about the same size as the TSX.

I used to own one.

Sorry, I disagree!

I now own a '97 Civic and last week I went to the dealer and my girlfriend and I sat in the Audi 2004 A4. Out of the mouth of my girlfriend, "this feels cramped, it has about as much room as your civic."

YES, it's true the A4 is small and cramped and my Civic seems to be almost the same size. I didn't even bother test driving the A4 for this reason, instead, I test drove the A6 (which I really did care for either but had much more room) as the A4 was WAYYY too small and even for my girlfriend. She told me right off that she did not like it all.

Not the case with the Acura TL
Old 12-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Okay, lets try this again: my statements taken out of context can indeed be used to paint me as a navigation hater. When you read a paper or a story book, you don't just read the first sentence. Right after the part where you stopped my quote, I clearly say: "Just use your head. Audi makes some nice cars such as the S4 and people should not write them off because of no navigation. You have serious issues and I'm glad you were man enough to admit you were wrong in saying everyone needs a navigation because if they don't have one their lives are boring. Now lets see if you are smart enough to realize what my original post meant. Nice try with the selective quoting but it won't fly here. It's like taking a statement such as "I am not retarded" that someone makes and later quoting it as "I am retarded" and conveniently omitting the key word NOT.
You are just shooting yourself in the foot. Nothing was taken out of context. Nothing was ommitted. Everybody can see that I quoted not just one sentence, but four.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:18 PM
Dr. TLS

YOu really are pretty slow aren't you? Perhaps a Geo Metro would fit your needs better than a fast car like the TL. The one sentence was a figure of speech. YOU LEFT OUT CRITICAL PARTS OF MY POST TO SUITE YOUR NEEDS. I'M THROUGH ARGUING WITH YOU AND ITS OBVIOUS THAT IT'S DUE TO A LACK OF YOUR UNDERSTANDING. GOOD DAY.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Look What Poor Audi Owners Must Live With...

Overall the car is just plain bigger. In some areas it is smaller but not by much. The Audi is about 10x built better than a Honda Civic. You can't compare the 2.

Exterior
Length: 179 in. Width: 69.5 in.
Height: 56.2 in. Wheel Base: 104.3 in.
Ground Clearance: 4.2 in. Curb Weight: 3252 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.4 in. Front Shoulder Room: 55.1 in.
Rear Head Room: 37.2 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 53.4 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 34.3 in.
Luggage Capacity: 13.4 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 13 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

Civic 04

Exterior
Length: 175.4 in. Width: 67.5 in.
Height: 56.7 in. Wheel Base: 103.1 in.
Curb Weight: 2606 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 39.8 in. Front Hip Room: 51.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 52.6 in. Rear Head Room: 37.2 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 52 in. Rear Hip Room: 49.8 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 36 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.9 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Civic 97

Exterior
Length: 175.1 in. Width: 67.1 in.
Height: 54.7 in. Wheel Base: 103.2 in.
Curb Weight: 2319 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 39.8 in. Front Hip Room: 50 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 52.4 in. Rear Head Room: 37.6 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 51.8 in. Rear Hip Room: 49.3 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 34.1 in.
Luggage Capacity: 11.9 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Originally posted by Nickerz
Sorry, I disagree!

I now own a '97 Civic and last week I went to the dealer and my girlfriend and I sat in the Audi 2004 A4. Out of the mouth of my girlfriend, "this feels cramped, it has about as much room as your civic."

YES, it's true the A4 is small and cramped and my Civic seems to be almost the same size. I didn't even bother test driving the A4 for this reason, instead, I test drove the A6 (which I really did care for either but had much more room) as the A4 was WAYYY too small and even for my girlfriend. She told me right off that she did not like it all.

Not the case with the Acura TL
Old 12-16-2003, 09:52 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Agree 100% with Divindude...

NAVI is useful to some people, and not to others.
so it's nice ACURA makes it an option, so why fight ?

Audi's are way too small for me and my 2 kids family. TL is the perfect size, not too big outside, but amazingly large inside (equivalent to the 00-03 series).

I got the NAVI on my previous 3 TL's because it saves me money!

I work as a computer consultant and need to visit new clients all the time, and I used to get lost all the time. For every hour I lost it was $90 I lost I couldn't bill.

Besides if you do the numbers... let me get my calculator (joke)
On the ACURA, If you pay for the car for 5 years,

it will only cost you around $1.09 per day to have all this:
- NAVI +
- VOICE Commands for NAVI, A/C - Heat, Defrost, Time +
- GPS Climate control (knows where the sun is to adjust temp) +
- Touch Screen for all functions, buttons available too +
- PDA (with reminder) +
- Kg/lb - Degrees Calculator Built-in.
- etc

$2000 / (5 x 365) = $1.09 (U spend more on tolls or beer)

In 5 years it has saved me about $12,000

on my friend's 2003 BMW 330CI convertible + NAV there is no voice commands, no touch screen, and he complains he needs to dial the letters "one by one" with a knob and select by pushing it, which is a pain when entering data.
- very ugly software... (I know, I'm a professional)

& Guess what! he paid $54,000!

you can use maps, sliding rules, 8-tracks, phonographs and horses if you like, is up to you, that doesn't bother me either!

just be happy.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Question

That is worth the $3.000+ price differential!?!?!?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
just be happy.
That's really the bottom line. No need to reach a consensus on whether Navi is valuable or not. It's useful but would not be a dealbreaker for me if I happend to like an Audi.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Who really does need navi?
i need navi...i got lost the other day because i never realy drove on highways before and i kept confusing east and west and norht and south...i was on 3 seperate highways trying to get home..i spent 20 mins going i nthe wrong direction before i realized i was going the wrong way!!(oh yeah, dont make fun, im new to this driving)...anyway...im aobut to take the plunge and install a navi in my car for more then it would have cost to get it in the first place ...navi or body kit my mom asks me...who knew i got ripped off on that body kit too

Quick Reply: Look What Poor Audi Owners Must Live With...