Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look out ahead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:41 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look out ahead!

Anyone who is driving a 2004 TL or is thinking of acquiring one must read this. Your life could be in danger!!

I took delivery of a 2004 TL in December. Among other deficiencies, the car was delivered to me with missing bolts on the front brake assembly! I was driving the car like this for six months before the wonderful Acura service department figured it out. I had complained about unusual noises from the brakes from the first week I drove the car. They told me this was normal. I complained the car was out of alignment and pulled to the right. They told me this was normal. I brought the car to a different dealership where a service tech test drove it. They also told me these things were normal and were within specs. Finally, the brakes failed at a red light and I went sailing through an intersection where I could easily have been killed by oncoming traffic, or could have killed someone else! I had the car flatbedded to the nearest dealer where they finally spotted two missing bolts on the front left brake. The brakes were so out of position that they had actually peeled the balancing weight off the rim!

That problem has since been fixed, but what do you think Acura Corporate had to say about all this? Nothing! When I called Acura corporate customer service their only point of action was to suggest I bring my car to a different service department. No one in the dealerships or the Acura organization offered up any kind of good will gesture or is the least bit apologetic about this serious incident.

Other complaints I have about this car:

1) The steering is way too loose, especially for the power this car delivers.

2) The sticker shows 20 MPH City and 30 MPH Highway. I do a pretty even mix of both and I have never averaged better than 17 MPH over the long term! How are the rest of you doing?

3) Don't bother using the Outside Temperature Display feature. It is consistently 5-10 degrees higher than reality. Once again, both Acura Service departments I brought the car to said this was "normal". They actually said it was normal for this feature to be useless! So I guess BMW can get this to work, but Acura cannot.

4) This is a brand new model and yet does not have the stereo feature that displays the group and title of songs being played on the radio or even on CDs which provide that feature on my home stereo. The 2004 Nissan Maxima does this. BMW has had this feature for at least the last two years! Why is Acura behind the curve?

I always thought Acura was supposed to be top of the line, on par with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. Boy was I wrong! Not only is Acura's product inferior, but so is their service!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyTL
Anyone who is driving a 2004 TL or is thinking of acquiring one must read this. Your life could be in danger!!

I took delivery of a 2004 TL in December. Among other deficiencies, the car was delivered to me with missing bolts on the front brake assembly! I was driving the car like this for six months before the wonderful Acura service department figured it out. I had complained about unusual noises from the brakes from the first week I drove the car. They told me this was normal. I complained the car was out of alignment and pulled to the right. They told me this was normal. I brought the car to a different dealership where a service tech test drove it. They also told me these things were normal and were within specs. Finally, the brakes failed at a red light and I went sailing through an intersection where I could easily have been killed by oncoming traffic, or could have killed someone else! I had the car flatbedded to the nearest dealer where they finally spotted two missing bolts on the front left brake. The brakes were so out of position that they had actually peeled the balancing weight off the rim!

That problem has since been fixed, but what do you think Acura Corporate had to say about all this? Nothing! When I called Acura corporate customer service their only point of action was to suggest I bring my car to a different service department. No one in the dealerships or the Acura organization offered up any kind of good will gesture or is the least bit apologetic about this serious incident.

2) The sticker shows 20 MPH City and 30 MPH Highway. I do a pretty even mix of both and I have never averaged better than 17 MPH over the long term! How are the rest of you doing?

3) Don't bother using the Outside Temperature Display feature. It is consistently 5-10 degrees higher than reality. Once again, both Acura Service departments I brought the car to said this was "normal". They actually said it was normal for this feature to be useless! So I guess BMW can get this to work, but Acura cannot.

4) This is a brand new model and yet does not have the stereo feature that displays the group and title of songs being played on the radio or even on CDs which provide that feature on my home stereo. The 2004 Nissan Maxima does this. BMW has had this feature for at least the last two years! Why is Acura behind the curve?

I always thought Acura was supposed to be top of the line, on par with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. Boy was I wrong! Not only is Acura's product inferior, but so is their service!

cool, now you have chance to sue their ass off, and buy your self at least a bmw M5.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Shift_faster

I have to tell you, you have a right to be pissed because your brakes failed. You can even try to bring legal action against the dealership or Acura. You do have every right.

But I also believe that you are a little out of line with your fire and brimstone speech. Over 60,000 TL's have been sold, and you had a problem with your brakes. That doesn't mean the TL as a model is crap. It means yours is a lemon.

1. I agree. Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? You would have noticed the "luxury" not the "sport" in the steering. I did.
2. I get 15 mpg in the city which is 80% of my driving. When I have taken long trips I have noticed up to 32 mpg. Depends where and how you are driving. People have stated it is horrendous in the city, but great as a highway cruiser.
3. I can't tell you if mine is accurate. I don't really use it. I measure it by...hmmm its hot, or hmm...its cold. Maybe someone else can comment on this.
4. Acura does not have RDS which most Nissans have. Once again, this should have been made clear by your test drive. I would also like this feature and a heated steering wheel like the Max has. I don't have it, but I don't say that the TL is a piece of crap because of it. To me, its not a big deal.

Either way, I'm sad to hear that you are displeased with your car, but very glad that you were ok in the most serious situation (brake failure). I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Feels fine to me. Matter of opinion I guess.

I'm stuck on 18 MPG, but I have been on the highway for maybe 4% of my 600 miles. Not a good comparison

If the car is parked in the sun, the temperature is going to be way off. After 15 minutes of driving it is pretty much right on.

I agree totally. Should have had it!

Acura is a leader. So are Lexus, BMW, and Benz. You put this car in awesome company. It is very, very unfortunate you have had a problem. And I do agree with you that in your case, Acura and their service was sub par at best.

If you can, unload the car and get one of the others you mention. I hope you have a better experience than this one.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Advanced

I agree that your brake problem was unforgiveable and that you had poor service.

As for the rest of your complaints, if they bother you that much, why did you buy the car? Did you not research the car before the purchase?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I have to tell you, you have a right to be pissed because your brakes failed. You can even try to bring legal action against the dealership or Acura. You do have every right.

But I also believe that you are a little out of line with your fire and brimstone speech. Over 60,000 TL's have been sold, and you had a problem with your brakes. That doesn't mean the TL as a model is crap. It means yours is a lemon.

1. I agree. Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? You would have noticed the "luxury" not the "sport" in the steering. I did.
2. I get 15 mpg in the city which is 80% of my driving. When I have taken long trips I have noticed up to 32 mpg. Depends where and how you are driving. People have stated it is horrendous in the city, but great as a highway cruiser.
3. I can't tell you if mine is accurate. I don't really use it. I measure it by...hmmm its hot, or hmm...its cold. Maybe someone else can comment on this.
4. Acura does not have RDS which most Nissans have. Once again, this should have been made clear by your test drive. I would also like this feature and a heated steering wheel like the Max has. I don't have it, but I don't say that the TL is a piece of crap because of it. To me, its not a big deal.

Either way, I'm sad to hear that you are displeased with your car, but very glad that you were ok in the most serious situation (brake failure). I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed.
Don't put words in my mouth. I never called the car "crap". Those are your words. I felt it necessary to warn people of a serious problem that speaks to the lax quality control at Acura's factories so they don't just assume that Acura=problem free driving. I've never heard of a car being shipped out with missing bolts, especially on a component as critical as the brakes. The other items I listed are beside the point. I listed them in case people are interested in what else owners of this car may be disappointed in. I didn't say they were deal breakers. I thought this site was about owners expressing their concerns and opinions about this car. Maybe Acura is listening. Maybe Acura will address these things in the next year's model. You are all free to disagree and put forth your own opinions.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Shift_faster

Don't put words in my mouth. I never called the car "crap". Those are your words. I felt it necessary to warn people of a serious problem that speaks to the lax quality control at Acura's factories so they don't just assume that Acura=problem free driving. I've never heard of a car being shipped out with missing bolts, especially on a component as critical as the brakes. The other items I listed are beside the point. I listed them in case people are interested in what else owners of this car may be disappointed in. I didn't say they were deal breakers. I thought this site was about owners expressing their concerns and opinions about this car. Maybe Acura is listening. Maybe Acura will address these things in the next year's model. You are all free to disagree and put forth your own opinions.
Good points. I have to say that I misunderstood your original post. By listing your other points, I thought you were stating that it was 1. as serious as the brake issue, 2. reasons for getting rid of the car as soon as you would be able to. To me the secondary issues seemed petty, both in relation to the missing caliper bolts and to the fact that it could have been solved by more research. But, you did clear that up.

I agree that it is a very, very serious situation. I also thank you for the fact that you posted to this site and let us all know about your issue, as some people could share in it. I have to disagree about the fact that it shows there is a great "danger" in driving the TL (although there is a great danger in driving your TL). In every product line, there is a chance of malfunction. Whether it is small or not, the malfunction can exist for the simple reason that nothing is perfect. That is all that I meant to put forth.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
OK, everyone, play nice!!

I took delivery of a 2004 TL in December. Among other deficiencies, the car was delivered to me with missing bolts on the front brake assembly! ..... No one in the dealerships or the Acura organization offered up any kind of good will gesture or is the least bit apologetic about this serious incident.
This is totally unacceptable. You were absolutely right to take this to Acura Corporate. I sure as hell would have, especially after TWO service departments failed to notice the issue. I'm simply glad you weren't hurt.

I agree with you and was one of the first to report the issue, way back in October last year. The A-Spec suspension (or use of lowering springs of any sort), which I have, improves the issue greatly, but the car could come from the factory with better steering. This seems to have improved in later VINs anyway. You bought in November, you must be....pre 15k? BMW made the same error a couple of years ago with the 3 series and when owners griped, they improved the steering. Seems Acura is doing the same.

I get 23 mpg in mixed driving (60/40 freeway/city). On long trips I've gotten 29-30. Keep in mind that the mileage improves with time. How many miles do you have on your car?

The temp can be adjusted downward for accuracy. There's a thread here somewhere addressing the issue.

RDES would indeed be nice, but who cares when we've got XM! I don't listen to commercial radio anyway.

I disagree with you with this last. I don't the product is inferior. The fit of the brakes was determined at the factory, true, and you should pin Acura to the wall for that. If it were me, I would be LOUDLY complaining that I was almost killed because the brakes failed. The SERVICE you got was obviously inferior and you should definitely complain about that too--for them to miss the missing bolts when you pointed out that the brakes were having a problem seems pretty bad (though I don't know whether this problem was obvious.... )

I wish you good luck!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by leo221
cool, now you have chance to sue their ass off, and buy your self at least a bmw M5.

Sue their ass off? For what? There is no need in any way, shape or form to sue anyone for any monetary amount.

That's worse than fat people suing McDonalds for making them fat.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Imho...

Sorry to hear your accident and adversity. Wish this kind of misfortune isn't happenin into others.

You have every right to sue Acura, they have to say sorry to you by any way you request.

As for other issues you have complained...

I agree, my early build 04TL does feel this way, and I'm sure the later build has fixed this issue. After test-driving co-worker's and friends' 04TLs, they are handling better. Please don't buy the early build next time.

Absolutely, this will be varied by ppl and area. In NYC, I never expect it runs efficiently as its sticker says. But, my 16-19 average is quite good, MPG in highway is about 26-32, very good.

Mine is pretty accurate so far after self-adjusting it to lower 3 degree.

Depend on which features you use to be your benchmark and which brand of cars as your standard, the answers may be different. Some of cars have no Bluetooth, some have no Satellite Radio, some have no big screen Navi, more and more... Since you obviously dislike Acura's trend, why purchased it?

Perhaps, go to spend $34k into similar Lexus or BMW.

Get money back from your insurance co. and Acura, then go for your standard vehicles, Lexus or BMW, please. You will be happy there.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:33 PM
10th Gear

Before the rumor mill gets too far out of hand.... I was not in an accident (it was close) and I never said anything about suing anyone (that was someone else's reply).

At Rick Case Acura, where I leased the car, and where I will never return, they told me the outside temperature display could not be calibrated. The second dealer I brought the car to claimed they did calibrate it, but it did not change anything. I agree this is a minor complaint, I just don't understand why they introduced a feature and did not make it work as other car companies have. The reason it does not work is because the sensor is in the front bumper where it is thrown off by engine heat and heat reflecting off the road. So why did Acura put the sensor there? Someone said they know a way to adjust it. I'd like to hear more about that.

I'm glad to hear that most of you agree the steering is too loose. Did Acura really tighten it in later units? Is that possible? Can I get mine adjusted? Once again, the dealers told me that could not be done.

I find the pattern of poor service and inconsistent information at Acura disturbing, especially at Rick Case.

How did you all do on oil life? My car showed <5%, service due at 4000 miles. That seemed low in comparison to other cars these days.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by apwalsh
Sue their ass off? For what? There is no need in any way, shape or form to sue anyone for any monetary amount.

That's worse than fat people suing McDonalds for making them fat.
"Finally, the brakes failed at a red light and I went sailing through an intersection where I could easily have been killed by oncoming traffic, or could have killed someone else"
if this is a acura problem, a few million should be easily. do you also feel firestone tires causing SUV to roll over or airbags killing babies worse than fat people suing mcdonalds for making them fat?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:18 AM
1337 H4x0r

You'll find it very difficult to sue someone for any monetary amount if there wasn't any damages.

I had a $35,000 vehicle with less than 10,000 miles that was repaired after an accident which the airbags deployed and required the seat belts to be replaced along with other repairs. I was driving the vehicle home and the drivers side seatbelt detached from the center pillar and landed in my lap. I was able loosen the bolt on the passenger side with my hands. I wanted to sue and possibly kill someone but the reality of the situation was that without damages I could only hope for someone to torque the bolts (hopefully to spec) and hope that nothing else was wrong saftey wise with the vehicle.

I ended up trading this vehicle in and taking the hit as my families saftey has a high price on it and sometimes you just have to suck it up and eat it. The accident wasn't my fault and was caused by a drunk driver and despite having very good insurance and the other driver having insurance I walked out of the situation loosing many thousands of dollars.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:37 AM
Team Anthracite Member

My dad had a semi-similar thing happen to him a few years back. He had just bought a Ford F-350 diesel, I'd like to say a '98-'99...? A few weeks after he got the truck, the front end literally collapsed when he was (luckily) approaching a stop sign. It turns out there were a few bars underneath which kept the wheels straight up and down, and some of the bolts holding these bars in place had been overtightened, sheering the heads off. The weight of the engine eventually sheered the rest of the bolts, and the wheels just popped out like wings.

When he got it back to the dealer, they were simply going to "fix" it and give it back to him. He refused, since there was no telling how much damage to the frame, etc., had occurred. After a little chatting, they happily agreed to give him a brand new truck, as well as free lifetime inspections of all the bolts underneath.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:07 AM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

I've noticed my car kind of pulls to the right as well and the only noise that comes from my brakes is a squeel immediately after I wash it, but that's it. As far as that missing bolts problem, is that something you can check yourself or does a service dept have to do it. Most of the time I drive around by myslef but a few days during the week and every other weekend I have my daughter in the car with me and that brake problem kind of scares me. If you have any knowledge on how to check it please post a reply. Also points to you for speaking your mind. Sometimes I'm unhappy with my TL as well. Don't get me wrong, I've owned the car for 2 months now and I still think it's a bad bitch but there are problems with it just like there are problems with every car. If no one else says it, I'll say it, good post and thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:28 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm glad to hear that most of you agree the steering is too loose. Did Acura really tighten it in later units? Is that possible? Can I get mine adjusted? Once again, the dealers told me that could not be done.

I find the pattern of poor service and inconsistent information at Acura disturbing, especially at Rick Case.

How did you all do on oil life? My car showed <5%, service due at 4000 miles. That seemed low in comparison to other cars these days.
Service varies from dealer to dealer. I find that my dealer gives me excellent service. It is the level that I expect from a luxury car dealer. I therefore stick with them. Even better for me is that they are literally in the neighborhood. They're not perfect, but have over time gained my trust. Just ask here for other dealers in the area you can deal with--that's one thing this board is for, after all.

The fact that you had <5% oil on the MID at 4k miles indicates your style of driving (probably city). My first oil change was at a bit over 6k miles; as I note above, I do a lot of freeway driving, so my experience would be different.

As to the loose steering, my car is (obviously) a very early build. I drove a 50k build 5AT car last month as part of the GM "Auto Show in Motion", and the steering was noticeably tighter than on my car pre-A-Spec. I can therefore tell you that Acura seems to have addressed the issue. Further, fewer people with later builds are complaining.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rets
I agree, my early build 04TL does feel this way, and I'm sure the later build has fixed this issue. After test-driving co-worker's and friends' 04TLs, they are handling better. Please don't buy the early build next time.
rets,

Sorry to be a little off topic. What VIN range was your co-worker's TL? I know neuronbob's recent drive was in a 50xxx which was improved. Mine is in the 45xxx and I feel it is a little overboosted at highway speeds but perfect in the city. Thanks.

dsc888
Old 08-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

I love my G35. Glad I made the right decision.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Racer

Wow, if the brake problem is true, then that is some messed up shit. Your TL was prob just screwed up. But something that i notice when i push the brakes farther down then normally for quick stops, i feel like the brake pedal rumbling and her a sound as if a stone is rolling. Is that normal? Is it anti-lock brakes or somethnig in effect?

PS, if i were you and i saw my brakes werent stopping, i would pull the hand brake and see if it does anything - im sure it would have. I think this is probably some kind of BS or something. If its notm enjoy the rest of your life an a multimillionare after the law suit, and get yourself a ferrari enzo. I would have at least hit a pole so i can have a better claim on my case, leading to bigger payout.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

You got really unlucky, doesn't mean the rest of us did. I like most on this forum will tell you the TL is a great car that blows out the competation. Please don't try to generlize the TL community for your unlucky misfortune.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Racer

Suing, its the American way it seems. Why can't people just sue when there are damages. I know MikeyTL said nothing about suing, so i'm not directing this post to him, but to those who think MikeyTL should sue Acura. Besides, the damm lawers are the only ones who win when it comes to suing someone anyway.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Before the rumor mill gets too far out of hand.... I was not in an accident (it was close) and I never said anything about suing anyone (that was someone else's reply).

At Rick Case Acura, where I leased the car, and where I will never return, they told me the outside temperature display could not be calibrated. The second dealer I brought the car to claimed they did calibrate it, but it did not change anything. I agree this is a minor complaint, I just don't understand why they introduced a feature and did not make it work as other car companies have. The reason it does not work is because the sensor is in the front bumper where it is thrown off by engine heat and heat reflecting off the road. So why did Acura put the sensor there? Someone said they know a way to adjust it. I'd like to hear more about that.
Hey Mikey,
Really sorry you are having a bad experience with your TL. I'm sure all of us on the site would rip your dealer a new one if we could, I know I would. It can't hurt to let your dealer know as well as Corporate Acura that your problem has the attention of all of us. That dealer, at the minimum, should have offered you another car (if you still wanted an Acura). Is there someone that I could write to in you support, maybe an email address. Sometimes there is strength in numbers.

My gas mileage is 23/city , 29 highway (I run 85 - 90 on highway trips)

No squeaks, rattles, funny noises.

My check engine light came on at 8400 miles, and they replaced an engine sensor. I dropped the car off (7:30), they gave me a loner TL and had me back in my car at noon.

Steering, well, its not as stiff as my 02 530I, but I like the 'lighter' feel of the TL.

Outside tempature Guage is 5 degrees off. The BWM temp guage is dead on with the weatherman. Both guages in both cars are in the lower fromt bumper.

Mikey, good luck with your problem!!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

It sounds like you may have not tested the car first. I got horrible gas mil. for the first several hundred miles. I now get 21 around town during the week. On the weekends I get 15. I am sure you can figure why! On the road I get at least 29 @ 85 MPH as long as I dont start going nuts passing BMW's. As far as RDS...I hate it! My pathfinder has it and evertime my wifes gets the TL...Once in a while...I turn it off. This car handles unreal. It is a LUX/Sport for those of us who like both. Maybe the 350Z or another lower end Nissan product may be right for you. Try the Altima V6. Nice car and has RDS!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by leo221
"Finally, the brakes failed at a red light and I went sailing through an intersection where I could easily have been killed by oncoming traffic, or could have killed someone else"
if this is a acura problem, a few million should be easily. do you also feel firestone tires causing SUV to roll over or airbags killing babies worse than fat people suing mcdonalds for making them fat?
Yeah, a few million for what? Nothing happened bro. Nothing to sue for. If something happened, then that is a different story. Nobody was hurt, no properties were damaged.

I know nothing about tires causing an SUV to roll over, but that could easily be assholes driving SUV's as if they were normal cars. Babies being killed by the airbags? Even when I was a baby, it was well known that babies and children should be in the back seat at all times.

So yes, these are all stupid things to sue for. Everyone is looking for reasons to sue these days, which makes it more difficult for people who deserve compensation to get it.

Please also check your grammar next time, I found it difficult to understand exactly what it is you were saying in that second sentence.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
Wow, if the brake problem is true, then that is some messed up shit. Your TL was prob just screwed up. But something that i notice when i push the brakes farther down then normally for quick stops, i feel like the brake pedal rumbling and her a sound as if a stone is rolling. Is that normal? Is it anti-lock brakes or somethnig in effect?

PS, if i were you and i saw my brakes werent stopping, i would pull the hand brake and see if it does anything - im sure it would have. I think this is probably some kind of BS or something. If its notm enjoy the rest of your life an a multimillionare after the law suit, and get yourself a ferrari enzo. I would have at least hit a pole so i can have a better claim on my case, leading to bigger payout.
Haha, multimillionaire my ass. And it sounds like you are the type of asshole who has my insurance raised with fraudulent claims.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dsc888
rets,

Sorry to be a little off topic. What VIN range was your co-worker's TL? I know neuronbob's recent drive was in a 50xxx which was improved. Mine is in the 45xxx and I feel it is a little overboosted at highway speeds but perfect in the city. Thanks.

dsc888

57xxx and 59xxx. Well, if the dealership ain't able to do anything on my car, A-Spec suspension may be the solution for me.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:02 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
You'll get no grief from me, Mikey. To think someone went to sleep on the Brake Line is unacceptable. I'm sure (?) it's a fluke, but after all, it only takes one mistake like this to kill people.

I see a lot of posts here about the temp display, but since I don't have a TL (at least not yet), I can't speak for their accuracy. I can say that the temp displays in my '03 BMW, my '04 Maxima and my wife's '04 CTS are pretty doggone accurate ... and they all pretty much agree with each other. They aren't likely to agree with the weatherman on the radio, though, since they're measuring the actual, real-world temp down at road level and are influenced by reflected heat in the road, heat from other vehicles, etc., etc. Being "off" by 5 or 10 degrees, though, is ridiculous IMO.

Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Instructor

If your car is the only one that left the factory with these missing bolts (and so far as we know it is...let's hope it stays that way) and assuming Marysville builds 60K TLs per year, that's a failure rate of .002% for that particular part of the assembly. Good, bad, or indifferent I'd bet that falls well within Honda's manufacturing error tolerances. It's a horrible thing for your car, but not a black mark for the model overall. Luckily no one was hurt in this case.

I'd be much more concerned about the treatment you got from the service departments. They should have done more than "road test" your car to identify the problem. Missing bolts should be pretty obvious once they put it up on a rack and inspect your brakes. Terrible customer service! Acura should step up to take care of you for this alone...Add in the potential liability for a faulty brake assembly and someone from Acura corporate should be calling you to apologize, not you calling them to drag an apology out of them.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

PS - FYI, here are instructions to recalibrate your outside temp sensor. http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67481
Old 08-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
But something that i notice when i push the brakes farther down then normally for quick stops, i feel like the brake pedal rumbling and her a sound as if a stone is rolling. Is that normal? Is it anti-lock brakes or somethnig in effect?
Yes, this is normal. The antilock brakes work by activating multiple times rapidly, causing the pulsing you feel on the brake pedal.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rets
57xxx and 53xxx. Well, if the dealership ain't able to do anything on my car, A-Spec suspension may be the solution for me.
Thanks, rets.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Good point made about the .002% error rate. Machines are not perfect. Things do get past quality control whether it's an Acura, M-B or R-R. Unfortunately, it landed iin your lap.

Others have pointed out that you can't sue for what might have happened or damages you almost sustained. Only for actual losses and damages.

Rich Case is also my delivering dealer. The letter you got from Rich Case himself after you leased/bought your TL contained his business card with his home number and his email address. It is rickcase@rickcase.com . Send him an email or a copy of what you posted here. That oversight of the service people is unacceptable and, I might add, out of character for the world's largest Acura dealer.

If not Rick Case himself, someone... probably Debra Canter the GM will contact you to resolve your issues. If need be, call the dealer at home. He gave you his home number and if this isn't an urgent matter, I don't know what is.

My own policy is not to expand from the specific to the general. As others have also said, a problem on your car doesn't mean Acuras are junk. If you hear of 100 other owners with the same problem... then you can start drawing conclusions.

This too shall pass.

XP
Old 08-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
The temperature is rising...

And... BTW....

The original purpose of the outside temperature readout is not just to satisfy our idle curiosity. It is a safety feature. The sensor is located behind the center part of the bumper for a reason: to warn us if the road starts to freeze so that we can know there might be black ice on the road. It is close to the road surface and sheltered from the airstream for that reason.

Put your own thermometer in the same area and I think you will see the TL's is quite accurate. It is hot down there by the road with black tar absorbing the Florida sun. Of course, that temp will be different than what the Channel 6 weatherman is getting on his roof top in Miramar on I-75.

It can be adjusted + or - 3 degrees. See thread on this topic elsewhere.

XP
Old 08-20-2004, 11:46 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
And... BTW....

The original purpose of the outside temperature readout is not just to satisfy our idle curiosity. It is a safety feature. The sensor is located behind the center part of the bumper for a reason: to warn us if the road starts to freeze so that we can know there might be black ice on the road. It is close to the road surface and sheltered from the airstream for that reason.

Put your own thermometer in the same area and I think you will see the TL's is quite accurate. It is hot down there by the road with black tar absorbing the Florida sun. Of course, that temp will be different than what the Channel 6 weatherman is getting on his roof top in Miramar on I-75.

It can be adjusted + or - 3 degrees. See thread on this topic elsewhere.

XP
My Temp display already is calibrated to -3 and it is still always 5+ degrees too high. Today it showed 90 while my friend's BMW showed 86 and the weather channel showed 85. The bottom line is BMW has this right and Acura does not. There is no explaining that away.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by planman
If your car is the only one that left the factory with these missing bolts (and so far as we know it is...let's hope it stays that way) and assuming Marysville builds 60K TLs per year, that's a failure rate of .002% for that particular part of the assembly. Good, bad, or indifferent I'd bet that falls well within Honda's manufacturing error tolerances. It's a horrible thing for your car, but not a black mark for the model overall. Luckily no one was hurt in this case.

I'd be much more concerned about the treatment you got from the service departments. They should have done more than "road test" your car to identify the problem. Missing bolts should be pretty obvious once they put it up on a rack and inspect your brakes. Terrible customer service! Acura should step up to take care of you for this alone...Add in the potential liability for a faulty brake assembly and someone from Acura corporate should be calling you to apologize, not you calling them to drag an apology out of them.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

PS - FYI, here are instructions to recalibrate your outside temp sensor. http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67481
I too hope this never happens to anyone else. The next person might not be as lucky. I'm just worried that may not be the only thing that wasn't put together right on this (my) car.
When I went to pick up my license plate they couldn't screw it in right because the part the screw goes into was threaded backwards! Now I'm having trouble tuning in a couple of radio stations that I've had preset from day one. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the antenna or stereo. I will forever be paranoid that every little thing is a manufacturing defect.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:27 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Good point made about the .002% error rate. Machines are not perfect. Things do get past quality control whether it's an Acura, M-B or R-R. Unfortunately, it landed iin your lap.

Others have pointed out that you can't sue for what might have happened or damages you almost sustained. Only for actual losses and damages.

Rich Case is also my delivering dealer. The letter you got from Rich Case himself after you leased/bought your TL contained his business card with his home number and his email address. It is rickcase@rickcase.com . Send him an email or a copy of what you posted here. That oversight of the service people is unacceptable and, I might add, out of character for the world's largest Acura dealer.

If not Rick Case himself, someone... probably Debra Canter the GM will contact you to resolve your issues. If need be, call the dealer at home. He gave you his home number and if this isn't an urgent matter, I don't know what is.

My own policy is not to expand from the specific to the general. As others have also said, a problem on your car doesn't mean Acuras are junk. If you hear of 100 other owners with the same problem... then you can start drawing conclusions.

This too shall pass.

XP
Good suggestion about emailing Rick Case - I think I will. If you think this is out of character for that dealer read this:

1) Their paperwork says every car will be delivered with a full tank of gas - mine only had 1/4.

2) They did not remove all the plastic covering on the interior and in some places where it had been removed they damaged the stripping around the doors.

3) They sent me on my way without doing the setup or even explaining the setup of the display and keyless remote options and settings and functions. For days I thought the remote trunk release wasn't working because no one told me you have to hold it down for a few seconds before the trunk opens. I also asked why there was no beep when you lock the doors. I was told this car doesn't do that. I later found out you have to press the lock button twice. The whole delivery process was done in a rush and half assed. This was a warning of what Rick Case's service is like.

4) When I went back for a scheduled service appointment I was idling in their service area for ten minutes and no one came out to greet me, ask me what I was there for, sign me in - nothing! I had to turn my car off and go inside to hunt someone down. This has never happened to me at any other dealer my entire life, and they knew I was coming. Then I had to explain everything I was there for to the person I found even though I had told them all that on the phone when I made the appointment. They are very disorganized and inefficient there - the total opposite of their sales area. It gets worse...

5) After being there for about an hour the tech comes out and says he has been testing my A/C and can't find anything wrong with it. I said why are you testing my A/C? He said he was told there was something wrong with the temperature in my car. I had to explain all over again that it was the OUTSIDE temp display that is wrong! Then he brings out their "electrical expert", now the fourth person I had to explain this problem to, and he told me there was nothing he could do to change that, there is no way to calibrate it. Of course we all now know it can be calibrated (just not enough). 1.5 hours of my life I'll never get back.

6) I told them about the noises the brakes were making. They said it was normal - nothing they can do to change it. We already know how that turned out.

7) They had received my license plate and were supposed to install it. I saw the plate there and didn't look too closely. I should have. When I got home I noticed only two screws were used instead of four and one of the two was only screwed in half way. The plate was loose. Sloppy to say the least. When I went to the service department at the other dealer I asked them to take care of that and they found it couldn't be screwed in because it was threaded backwards! They did eventually resolve that.

I wouldn't trust Rick Case to do an oil change on my car. I called Acura customer service to report all of this and asked that I be contacted. I wanted somebody to address all of this. To date I have never heard from anyone and I don't expect to. Maybe if they are reading this....
Old 08-21-2004, 03:12 AM
Instructor

Aside for the stereo and the steering wheel complaints that should have been noted during the test drive.... You say that the car was shipped from the factory with the bolts missing. Well if the bolts were missing from the factory, wouldn't you have noticed the brakes making sound and the alignment issue during the test-drive as well? It may be just me but I know I would notice something like that.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Team Secretary of Housing

Could also be warped rotors....

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yes, this is normal. The antilock brakes work by activating multiple times rapidly, causing the pulsing you feel on the brake pedal.
Another thing to look for is warped rotors. I just had all four of mine reglazed due to warping. Front and Rear pads replaced as well. All under warranty. I have 16000 miles and 8months of driving. This seems to be a common issue with our model. I only noticed the rumbling feel and sounds you describe at higher speeds. When I brought it to the dealer for investigation and service of the problem that was the solution.
I had a TSX loan car a few months back and the brakes had the same symptoms. When I returned it and explained my concern over the brake issue with that car, I was told warped brake rotors then as well.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vtecracer
Aside for the stereo and the steering wheel complaints that should have been noted during the test drive.... You say that the car was shipped from the factory with the bolts missing. Well if the bolts were missing from the factory, wouldn't you have noticed the brakes making sound and the alignment issue during the test-drive as well? It may be just me but I know I would notice something like that.
No, because I didn't lease the car I test drove. After test driving one TL I asked for a TL of a different color. They got one ready and I took it home. I brought it back a week later complaining of brake noises which they insisted were normal.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Instructor

I get 23 in mixed driving, closer to 25 if I use cruise. (5AT) It'll really get 29 on the road at 55 with cruise on.

I doubt you have much of a lawsuit here, but if you'd had an accident it sure would have been a great case!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Obviously, you cannot sue if you have no damages. However, I would have thought the object of the exercise was to try and ensure that this doesn't happen to anyone else. I am from Canada, so I don't know the consumer safety organizations in the U.S. that well, but I would be inclined to report the situation to one of them. If there are enough similar complaints, then there could be a safety recall for the missing bolts. I suspect that the report should go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA-forgive me if I have gotten the name wrong).

Acura U.S. may not listen or react properly to your complaint but I suspect that it will react appropriately to a call or visit from the government regulator.

Quick Reply: Look out ahead!