Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOJACK.....is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOJACK.....is it worth it?

I was wondering if anyone has lojack with the pager and is it worth getting? Has anyone actually gotten their TL stolen and recovered it because of lojack. I am seriously thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm or get lojack with the pager. My last car was stolen and im very paranoid about getting my new car stolen. Also if anyone can suggest an aftermarket Alarm that is good let me know. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
This has been discussed before and I think the majority of those who have had any experience with lojack say its fairly easy to bypass and in the long run not worth it. I'm still up in the air about it, however.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:06 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
There's also satellite tracking systems that'll work where LoJack won't. Viper makes one.

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/gps.asp
Old 05-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Instructor

I have had it on all my cars and it is a good peace of mind, not sure how much support you would get in Seattle, here in Atlanta, it is not a good investment, very little law enforcement here, now when I lived in NYC, damn right you want it up there
Old 05-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

That is interesting that they can bybass the system.....i talked to the dealship and asked if they install it in a certain area and they said that lojack installers rotate the placement of the tracking device. i just dont know what alarms are like these days b/c people walk by an alarm without even noticing it.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Yes I had a car stolen (M3) and recovered in less than an hour with lojack
Old 05-14-2006, 01:53 AM
VS#03

If anyone has have the opportunity to take custody of my vehicle, I wouldn't want it back. LoJack would not be worth it to me, If tracks the where abouts of your vehicle.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Instead of LoJack, my dealer offered me Mobile Guardian. It is similar to LoJack except it's tracked via GPS and I can actually locate my car on my internet and notify the cops exactly where it is if it's stolen.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Cruisin'

it works if the police cars have the readers installed. most of the cases the dirtbags park the car in a parking lot for 24hours to see if it does have lo-jack this way they dont get caught driving around with the system active. so if you dont mind getting the car back and fear for some reason your TL will be stolen then yes id say get it.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Lojack is only useful if you're in an area where it actually provides coverage. There's no coverage in Ohio, so if you came to visit me, for example, and your Lojacked car was stolen, you're SOL. A GPS solution is truly nationwide and therefore gives you coverage when you travel.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Animal Whisperer

Also take into consideration the cost/value... While the system will often cost a small fortune when installed with a complete alarm system, the thing rarely gets you very much of an added discount to your existing insurance premium discount for the factory "alarm". Being said, a ton of people spend a fortune on the window etching service, too, when if you priced your insurance with and without this service, the difference every six months is something in the ballpark of two bucks tops when added to all other alarm features your car already has.

Depends on whether or not you want your car found fast or not. A friend of mine had his car stolen and was HAPPY to not see it back after the fact. The insurance co will try to make sure your car is up to par and then give it back... Another friend of mine got his car stolen and they did find his car after a few weeks. He was about three days from receiving a payout based on his company's policy... BUT they found his car. The car was all jacked up inside, various parts were missing, AND who knows how the car was treated while it was not in his hands. I can assure you, it was not how he would treat it.

Depends on what you want to happen. Like some, I would NOT want to see my stolen ride back unless it was a classic or something. Others might want their baby back. Yes, I'd want the people who did that to me to pay, but eventually they'll pay anyway in most cases. Tough call, but I'm leaning towards the "not worth it" side.

Rey :)
Old 05-14-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lojack is better than Onstar. With Onstar all you have to do is disconnect the battery.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tonester
Instead of LoJack, my dealer offered me Mobile Guardian. It is similar to LoJack except it's tracked via GPS and I can actually locate my car on my internet and notify the cops exactly where it is if it's stolen.
I had Mobile Guardian in my old TL and now have it in my new TL. I have to say that I love the system.

When comparing to LoJack, remember that LoJack operates off radio towers. Some cities and towns aren't even covered by the system. Mobile Guardian operates off satellite which makes it available anywhere in North America.

The second thing to consider is that the unit for Mobile Guardian is smaller (much smaller) than the comperable LoJack unit.

I recently (October 2005) had my old TL stolen, even thou the car was totaled in the resulting high-speed chase, the system worked flawlessly. I and the cops were able to tell where the car was at all times..... their wasn't any way that the thiefs could get away.

Here's the link for more infor. http://www.mymobileguardian.com/vehicle_tracking.html
Old 05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Flipstar30
I was wondering if anyone has lojack with the pager and is it worth getting? Has anyone actually gotten their TL stolen and recovered it because of lojack. I am seriously thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm or get lojack with the pager. My last car was stolen and im very paranoid about getting my new car stolen. Also if anyone can suggest an aftermarket Alarm that is good let me know. Thanks in advance for the info.

You don’t need LoJack!!! You will be alright with Full Coverage and GAP Insurance. Unless you really want your car back after someone has vandalized it!!! Unless you paid for your car in cash you will need to have full coverage anyway so why pay more $$$ for an Anti-theft system that will not save you that much on your insurance. But GAP insurance is a must!!! If you really want LoJack by all means get it but pay for it out the pocket!!! Don’t finance it.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Lojack informs me when my vehicle has been moved any more than 500 or so feet (good if you are getting towed too) within 15 minutes of it being moved. I dont think someone could ruin your car in 15 minutes of moving it. Oh well, to each his own. It was pretty much free on the TL since I had used it before with the BMW and had such a good experience.
Nothing was damaged on my M3 and I got it back within the hour
Old 05-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Mofo

I get 10% off my premium for having Lojack...so within about 4yrs, it pays for itself and I have a free security system, and an added bonus when selling it
Old 05-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the info! Is there anyway to find out how many police cars have the system installed by city? I think Seattle is 4th or 6th in the nation in stolen vehicles. My 2000 Civic SI was stolen and i was torn between wanting the car back and hoping they dont find it.....i know the feeling of being violated by someone else driving your car and not knowing where your baby is!!!!!! I think in the end it taught me a good lesson. Its better to take all the precautions that you can.......thanks again for all the input guys!