Sponsored by:

License Plate Bulb Replacement??????? 3G Garage #G-052

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate Bulb Replacement??????? 3G Garage #G-052

before anyone flames..........

i've done the search and i've gotten great DIY's, but before i do anything, i want some pics to see what i'm going to be getting into.

i tried taking them out from the outside and it was a B!tch to get back in, and i plan on not doing that again.

now from the trunk liner, i got the directions but i was wondering if anyone has taken pics on doing so????????????

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

sang
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sangwl
before anyone flames..........

i've done the search and i've gotten great DIY's, but before i do anything, i want some pics to see what i'm going to be getting into.

i tried taking them out from the outside and it was a B!tch to get back in, and i plan on not doing that again.

now from the trunk liner, i got the directions but i was wondering if anyone has taken pics on doing so????????????

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

sang

no one took pics while doing their install?

educate me.....

sang
Old 10-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Have patience. One and a half hours is not unreasonable to wait.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:01 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sangwl,

If you already performed the process from the outside I would stick with that. I swapped mine out three times from the rear with little effort. I agree you have to have them just right to get in and it requires minor "harmless wedging", But I would consider it much easier and definitely faster than taking the decklid liner off etc.

Cheers
Old 10-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah i was looking for those pics too but I dont think anyone posted them. You'll just have to learn from experience!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Instructor

I changed out my license plate bulbs the other day with LED bulbs I got from Tec_Toyz off of Ebay. They look great! Installing them was really simple. Pop up your trunk take off the black clips holding the liner on. Take out the screw holding in the plastic handle for the trunk thats on the inside of the trunk near the latch. Start popping the black clips from near the latch and the plastic handle until you reach the ones on the side of the trunk. Pull the liner down a bit it should be pretty easy without any real force needed. Then from there you'll be able to see where the sockets for the license plate bulbs are and you know the rest. Good luck and let me know if you have any problems.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Instructor

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=license
Old 11-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Here's another one.

3G Garage #G-052: DIY: Replacing License Plate Bulbs

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105472
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 AM
FOR SALE - BM

you can take half the liner out. i didn't take off the back clips along the side of the trunk closest to the back window. i just pushed the liner out the way. it was a little awkward to get the lights out but i did it. took about 20 mins. the service manual was a huge help. its on the site somewhere, download it and use it.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I just took my liner off yesterday, it is not hard at all bro. All clips and one screw..
Old 11-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Here's the scans for removing the license plate lights. Not much new stuff here but I'll put it in anyway since some of you have questions about it.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Damn Ron A where do you get all the diagrams how to take the car apart? If you got the manual can you hook a brother up with where to get one or if you can just send me a copy. I've been trying to get a manual so I can tear my car apart without worrying about messing something up. Thanks bro...
Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Usalinh
Damn Ron A where do you get all the diagrams how to take the car apart? If you got the manual can you hook a brother up with where to get one or if you can just send me a copy. I've been trying to get a manual so I can tear my car apart without worrying about messing something up. Thanks bro...
You can go to www.helminc.com and order one for about $75. There is information in the back of your owner's manual also.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Cool! Thanks Ron A...
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Usalinh
I changed out my license plate bulbs the other day with LED bulbs I got from Tec_Toyz off of Ebay. They look great! Installing them was really simple. Pop up your trunk take off the black clips holding the liner on. Take out the screw holding in the plastic handle for the trunk thats on the inside of the trunk near the latch. Start popping the black clips from near the latch and the plastic handle until you reach the ones on the side of the trunk. Pull the liner down a bit it should be pretty easy without any real force needed. Then from there you'll be able to see where the sockets for the license plate bulbs are and you know the rest. Good luck and let me know if you have any problems.
I replaced my interior lights & license plate lights with LEDS from Tec Toyz also. All I can say is thank god these bulbs have a lifetime warranty. This is going to be my 4th time exchanging bulbs! They keep going dead. Unfortunately, the license plate lights have had to be replaced the most. Its not exactly difficult to remove the liner...but I'm getting sick of doing it!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i ordered mine from superbrightleds. had them in for 2 weeks. i absolutely love them. i got the blues for the door and hyper whites for the map lights (front and back) , and the license light. has anyone had problems with these lights going dead. Oh, i put the PIAA extreme white for the reverse lights.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
For a while I was a little worried about taking off the lining of the trunk lid, however when I did do it it was the easiest thing ever. There is about 7-9 little clips that pop out in the middle with a little screwdriver ont he side of em. and a screw in the handle part. then it comes right out. idono go for it man. I put the 9LEDs in the license plate spot but they are kind of dim. If I look up there is only 3-4 of the leds showing. would anybody recomend be replacing them with one big ass LED?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Instructor

EASIEST SOLUTION POSSIBLE!!!

I bought bulbs from superbrightleds.com about one year ago. The licence plate bulbs have already burnt out twice now. Everytime, I struggle like a MF and just about go ape-shit. I finally found an extremely easy solution that doesn't require removing the liner or continuously ramming the housing through that little gap.

Instead, keep the clear plastic outer housing off of the grey bulb housing. Manipulate the grey housing inside the gap by itself and then slide the clear housing lower lip underneath. The key is do not clip the two housing clips together outside the opening, clip them together but sliding the clear housing through the outer opening and clipping it onto the grey housing INSIDE THE GAP. Hope that makes sense and works well for people. It requires no jamming whatsoever.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
What? Ha ha I do not understand that at all. Does that illuminate the license plate more?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ron A
Here's the scans for removing the license plate lights. Not much new stuff here but I'll put it in anyway since some of you have questions about it.

YO that's freaking SICK!
how do you have these pics?!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shotcaller88
I replaced my interior lights & license plate lights with LEDS from Tec Toyz also. All I can say is thank god these bulbs have a lifetime warranty. This is going to be my 4th time exchanging bulbs! They keep going dead. Unfortunately, the license plate lights have had to be replaced the most. Its not exactly difficult to remove the liner...but I'm getting sick of doing it!
You know what amber lights for the license plate went out and also my interior lights went out right after and I tried contacting Tec_Toyz back to get them swapped out but, he hasn't replied back to me yet. And it's been about 4 months now. I guess I paid for what I got huh. Cheap price for a cheap product...