3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon? MT6 Spd 2004 TL:Brakes squeeling,failed, squeeling and Vibration and Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemon? MT6 Spd 2004 TL:Brakes squeeling,failed, squeeling and Vibration and Tire wear

I need some help--2004 TL July -9,300 MILES, Stick shift with Brembo brakes--BRAKE FAILURE ,SQUEELING METAL (very loud all of the time), AND VIBRATION at 5th gear at 55 -60 mph ( steering wheel actually shakes) and NOW tires wearing fast. I have a 6MT July 2004 TL 9,300 miles and have had squeeling from the beginning. I asked the Dealer if there were any service bulletins or recalls and they said NO twice. Than took it to get serviced at another dealership and asked theM AND THEY SAID no until I took it in and than they told me there was a service Bulletin and told me they would replace the brakes but had to reschedule ( UGH !). Than took it in and they told me that they would only replace the brakes and I asked what about the vibration from the possibly scratched rotors and they decided to replace the rotors supposably. They wanted to refinish the rotors and TOLD THEM NO WAY.
Than asked about rebalancing and checking the alignment and they said they checked it and no problem even though it was vibrating. Than I drove it and slowly the squeeking and vibration returned louder than ever. AND than the brakes failed ( good thing for stick shift) with the right brake vibrating like the wheel was going to fall off. I called the ACURA dealer and they told me that they could not fit me in for another week !!! . I told them that I demand that they give me a loaner now since I am driving without brakes ( If I appliced them , they worked but the entire car front of the car vibrated like it was about to explode) and they need to fix it. After hassling with them for 30 minutes , I got an appointment two days later. Guess what, the right caliper FAILED . They replaced it ( I think they screwed it up when they supposeably replaced the rotors and brake pads ) and asked again to check the balance and they noticed that the internal mass balance weights were destoyed ( basically the caliper came apart and ripped the inside of the alloy wheel ( I noticed this after I picked up the car and should have asked for a new alloy wheel). Well, now i have an appointment for the third time with brakes working STILL WITH a very LOUD noise ( everyone stops and looks at me when I stop the car next to other cars on the roads literally) and need to know if ACURA does have the answer or do I file for the lemon law and maybe the 2005 TL has the proper Brembo brakes without any problems.

What about this lemon law in Pennsylvania ? How hard is the process? I like the 5 series BMW except the rear wheel drive will not work in the snow and the Infinity might be my only option but no stick shift .

What should I do.
NO PATIENCE in the Northeast !!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:40 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

First off, you need to chill. You got a bad deal yes, but not ALL TLs are like this.
Second, with MOST Lemon Laws, you need to give them something ridiculous like 4 or 5 tries to fix the problem and then you can claim Lemon.
Last, it might only be in CA, but if you DO get em for Lemon Law, the legal bills are paid by the dealership.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:03 PM
10th Gear

Lemon Law

For 04-05 TL 6speeds, There was a Bulletin for brake noise but America Acura took it out because it did NOT fix the problem. They will have a fix or bulletin but no release date.

ALL 04-05 TL tires wear really fast becuase of the compound of the tires. The only way to have that good traction on road and track, the tires had to be a very soft compound. Therefore they can grap the road real good. Some dealer will replace tires if it wear too fast. But like I said- SOME DEALER.

Lemon Law will not apply to you if there the dealer did not do any kind of repair on your vehicle. The only way to do Lemon Law is that the dealer found problem and the was a repair on your vehicle. After the (3) third repair on the same problem and you can apply for the Lemon Law. The Lemon Law Book will have the info that u need to contact. Then the dealership will have a LAST attempt to repair your vehicle. If same problem still happen, then u will go to a Lemon Law Court.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaDirect
For 04-05 TL 6speeds, There was a Bulletin for brake noise but America Acura took it out because it did NOT fix the problem. They will have a fix or bulletin but no release date.

ALL 04-05 TL tires wear really fast becuase of the compound of the tires. The only way to have that good traction on road and track, the tires had to be a very soft compound. Therefore they can grap the road real good. Some dealer will replace tires if it wear too fast. But like I said- SOME DEALER.

Lemon Law will not apply to you if there the dealer did not do any kind of repair on your vehicle. The only way to do Lemon Law is that the dealer found problem and the was a repair on your vehicle. After the (3) third repair on the same problem and you can apply for the Lemon Law. The Lemon Law Book will have the info that u need to contact. Then the dealership will have a LAST attempt to repair your vehicle. If same problem still happen, then u will go to a Lemon Law Court.
after u go to the lemon law court, u will get ur car refund or u can get a new car?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crazydrum
I need some help--2004 TL July -9,300 MILES, Stick shift with Brembo brakes--BRAKE FAILURE ,SQUEELING METAL (very loud all of the time), AND VIBRATION at 5th gear at 55 -60 mph ( steering wheel actually shakes) and NOW tires wearing fast. I have a 6MT July 2004 TL 9,300 miles and have had squeeling from the beginning. I asked the Dealer if there were any service bulletins or recalls and they said NO twice. Than took it to get serviced at another dealership and asked theM AND THEY SAID no until I took it in and than they told me there was a service Bulletin and told me they would replace the brakes but had to reschedule ( UGH !). Than took it in and they told me that they would only replace the brakes and I asked what about the vibration from the possibly scratched rotors and they decided to replace the rotors supposably. They wanted to refinish the rotors and TOLD THEM NO WAY.
Than asked about rebalancing and checking the alignment and they said they checked it and no problem even though it was vibrating. Than I drove it and slowly the squeeking and vibration returned louder than ever. AND than the brakes failed ( good thing for stick shift) with the right brake vibrating like the wheel was going to fall off. I called the ACURA dealer and they told me that they could not fit me in for another week !!! . I told them that I demand that they give me a loaner now since I am driving without brakes ( If I appliced them , they worked but the entire car front of the car vibrated like it was about to explode) and they need to fix it. After hassling with them for 30 minutes , I got an appointment two days later. Guess what, the right caliper FAILED . They replaced it ( I think they screwed it up when they supposeably replaced the rotors and brake pads ) and asked again to check the balance and they noticed that the internal mass balance weights were destoyed ( basically the caliper came apart and ripped the inside of the alloy wheel ( I noticed this after I picked up the car and should have asked for a new alloy wheel). Well, now i have an appointment for the third time with brakes working STILL WITH a very LOUD noise ( everyone stops and looks at me when I stop the car next to other cars on the roads literally) and need to know if ACURA does have the answer or do I file for the lemon law and maybe the 2005 TL has the proper Brembo brakes without any problems.

What about this lemon law in Pennsylvania ? How hard is the process? I like the 5 series BMW except the rear wheel drive will not work in the snow and the Infinity might be my only option but no stick shift .

What should I do.
NO PATIENCE in the Northeast !!!!
The G35 coupe and sedan are offered in 6MT. unless you are referring to the awd version.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:47 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by mio
after u go to the lemon law court, u will get ur car refund or u can get a new car?
That's ultimately a discussion that you and the court (or arbitrator) will need to have. Sometimes they'll buy the car from you for the price you paid less usage so you can go buy a different car. Othertimes you can simply get it swapped out.

I've seen both situations happen on this forum.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Ugh !

Yes, I was looking at a Infinity sedan ( I do not want a coupe) AWD because of the snow and a rear wheel drive car in the NE will not do. I want a stick and front wheel drive and it is hard to come by.
I have an appointment with the ACURA dealer for the fourth time this Friday and am calling the ACURA national service center and try to get them to fix it right this time and called the dealer today and told them the same . I do not have the time or money to waste trying to get this Mr RELIABLE CAR fixed after only 9,300 miles with noisy brakes ( failed once with a failed caliper destroying the balance mass weights ) and wearing tires and vibrating 5th gear at 45-60 miles/hr. and some rattle in the front deck to go with it. Too much to loose and the vibration in 5th gear on the 6 SP MT will only get worst later and destroy other mechanical devices within the car due to this harmonic resonant vibration.
Something is wrong and not sure if anyone at ACURA knows ths answer.

If anyone else has any suggestions , than submit. I do not want to deal with nthe lemon law process because I do not have the time but than again I might be force to with the situation at hand.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 09:57 PM
05 TL NBP Navi

Yes call the national service center, AND send a written letter to Acura detailing the problem explaining this is a SAFEY ISSUE!! Look in the warranty book for an address to send the letter. Acura participates nationally in the Better Business Bureau auto-line program. Check out this link "http://lemonlaw.bbb.org/". You can request a hearing with an arbitrator who has the ability to force Acura to Repair, Replace or Repurchase the vehicle. On a repurchase there is a deduction for your use of the car to the point you first had the problem generally ((miles before problem) / 120,000) * purchase price). The arbitrators decision is binding on Acura, and non-binding on you, (meaning you can go to court later if you want). You must give Acura a reasonable opportunity to repair the problem but you are fast approaching this point if not past it already. There is no cost to you to use the BBB, and you do not need to be represented by an attorney. But trust me, Acura does not want you dicked around by the dealer. They want this fixed, (they are the ones who will take it in the shorts if they have to take back the car AND have an unhappy customer WHO broadcasts their woes on the internet)
Old 02-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not they are not... but

Originally Posted by Casper42
First off, you need to chill. You got a bad deal yes, but not ALL TLs are like this.
Second, with MOST Lemon Laws, you need to give them something ridiculous like 4 or 5 tries to fix the problem and then you can claim Lemon.
Last, it might only be in CA, but if you DO get em for Lemon Law, the legal bills are paid by the dealership.

Hard to tell someone to relax and say not all are like this when it happens to them...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 AM
HMFIC

Okay, there is a countermeasure for the squealing brakes on the 6MT. I had mine done a few months ago and the brakes are now perfect. I spoke with Acura CS and they asked me to call the dealer and ask about service bulletin 04-019. I have my paperwork here and it calls for...

• 410820 FRONT BRAKE DISC (BOTH) - RESURFACE USING EITHER THE KWIK-WAY OR SNAP-ON CAR BRAKE LATHE; MEASURE DISC TOTAL - 36 WP
  • 45022-SEP-A52 PAD SET, FR.
  • 45242-SEP-A50 GREASE
The brakes no longer squeal under ANY circumstance with no loss in brake performance.

As far as vibration, go to a shop with a Hunter series 9000 Road Force balancer and pay to have the wheels balanced. It may cost you a few bucks, but its worth it. If that does not cure the problem, you know the problem lies elsewhere.

I just spent $33 on new gearbox oil and another $38 to rent a bay with a lift for two hours to do the B service and gearbox oil change. I had to resolve the poor shifting and I was tired of being asked if I knew how to shift. This is my sixth car in a row with a manual transmission, not to mention an SCCA Formula Continental with 4 speed racing transmission (no synchros). Spend a couple of bucks, if it solves the problem, it will be the best $$$ you ever spent.

Bottom line, the car is not perfect. If you give the dealer the above noted information and take some initiative on your own, you may end up much happier.

Best of Luck,

Don
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
geez

I hate it when you have to tell the car maker how to build and service a car. Not what I want to spend my hard earned bucks or time on!!!

We are doing the QA for them.... They should started spending more on QA!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:03 PM
10th Gear

Kilroyr1 ,
Thanks and will see if this will help.
Mickeyc1 ...YOU ARE RIGHT. We are doing the QC for their car and we are loosing out on our own personnal income to resolve their issues. This is B.S.
Thanks for everyone's response.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by crazydrum
Kilroyr1 ,
Thanks and will see if this will help.
Mickeyc1 ...YOU ARE RIGHT. We are doing the QC for their car and we are loosing out on our own personnal income to resolve their issues. This is B.S.
Thanks for everyone's response.
Good luck filing the lemon law. I filed in Connecticut for my wife's car. It was not easy, but we manageed to win. The most important thing is to make certain you have all the documentation related to BOTH the servicing for this problem, as well as any other work done on the car. This includes oil changes and the like. Economically, the best route for us to go was to take a replacement vehicle from the manufacturer. You can elect to take a buyout, but in those instances you normally pay for depreciation. On the replacement you get a new vehicle with no depreciation hit (at least in my case). Hey, I even got them to pay for my rental while the car was out of service.