3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side heavier than right? How long do you wait for your car to warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
couldn't have said it better myself. Enigine running in park/neutral equals 0MPG, this is a bad thing. Get in, start engine, put on your seat belt and drive away-conservatively-and your engine will be just fine. If you get in it, start it and put the throttle through the floor, you will probably have issues down the line. If it's really cold out, you may spin a bearing on the spot, that is always a very unpleasant sound, just might ruin your day actually.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by blueracer17
couldn't have said it better myself. Enigine running in park/neutral equals 0MPG, this is a bad thing. Get in, start engine, put on your seat belt and drive away-conservatively-and your engine will be just fine. If you get in it, start it and put the throttle through the floor, you will probably have issues down the line. If it's really cold out, you may spin a bearing on the spot, that is always a very unpleasant sound, just might ruin your day actually.
I agree.... if you're able to drive conservatively. Like I said in my previoius post with the freeway on ramp basically at the end of my work parking lot I let it warm up for 10 minutes. Sure, idle = 0mpg but it still uses very little fuel.

Cold oil doesn't lubricate as well and if it's thick enough can spin a bearing. Or if there's enough pressure, float a bearing.

The pressure differential in the filter is much higher with cold oil so you're going to be bypassing unfiltered oil, especially as the rpms get higher.

Pistons are usually not perfectly round when cold and have much more piston to cylinder clearance. Especially the thrust sides. This is why I like to wait at least a minute before putting it in gear. I'm sure the TL's clearance is tighter than what I'm used to and they use some cheap hypereutectic piston that doesn't expand much but I'm only wasting a minute of my time letting them get warm.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My car stays in a garage.. so it's not really cold, I get in, start it, wait for the NAV ok and then back out..
Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
How do you "float" a bearing?? I've heard of scuff, spin, ect., but never float. I can undersand your point about being so close the highway on ramp and needing to accelerate so quickly. In my race car I wouldn't even go on the track without the oil up to at least 180 via a pre heater on the dry sump tank. In fact I wouldn't start it until 140 degrees and I was running 5-30 royal purple in it. I guess I was a little anal about it, but I didn't have 2 engines and the one I had ran me about $25,000. Not sure on the pistons in the TL, I know the crank is forged, you're probably right though, I would actually prefer a standard cast piston over a hyperexposion piston anyday.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
However, the butt warmer, ....is a MUST

I've got the temp set at 72, butt warmer on, and it takes about 2 miles for great heat.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blueracer17
How do you "float" a bearing?? I've heard of scuff, spin, ect., but never float. I can undersand your point about being so close the highway on ramp and needing to accelerate so quickly. In my race car I wouldn't even go on the track without the oil up to at least 180 via a pre heater on the dry sump tank. In fact I wouldn't start it until 140 degrees and I was running 5-30 royal purple in it. I guess I was a little anal about it, but I didn't have 2 engines and the one I had ran me about $25,000. Not sure on the pistons in the TL, I know the crank is forged, you're probably right though, I would actually prefer a standard cast piston over a hyperexposion piston anyday.
The oil gets under the back side of the bearing. Basically a spun bearing but with a different cause. I had the pressure relief stick one cold morning with a straight 60wt and before the filter blew off I saw the guage peg at 120psi. There was no damage to the crank side of the bearing. I was scratching my head when one of the old timers said I floated a bearing.

I get weird looks at the track. I drive to the track and will leave the engine running most of the time in the lanes with the hood up of course. I like the hot oil temps and 160 degree water temps. Even though I'm running a stock bottom end with the exception of the JEs, there's still quite a bit of money in the prep work to make it live. Not really worth the .1 sec I might gain from running it cold when it was a daily driver. Besides that it became very inconsistant in the form of turbo spool when I tried running it cooler a couple times.

What kind of car do you race?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dragonlord
However, the butt warmer, ....is a MUST

I've got the temp set at 72, butt warmer on, and it takes about 2 miles for great heat.
We are pretty lucky with the TLs in that it only takes a short time to get heat. I remember in the GN with it's iron block and heads taking nearly the whole 5 minute drive to work before it started making heat.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
REDBULL///AMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate cars, not to go off topic or anything but didnt GM run a 3.8L turbo in the grand national, they also ran that motor in the 89 GTA trans am(stoped sales becouse it was faster than the vette).
back on topic. i think they do find a way to even it out wieght wise, i dont thenk its a 100% accurate tho, dont forget some of us are 150lbs then u got fat asses like me at 235.

i usaully start the car, wait two min and drive off easy till heat get worm
Old 11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
just stay out of vtec till shes warmed up. idle a minute and roll, theres nothing else you can do.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 06 Acura TL
I hate cars, not to go off topic or anything but didnt GM run a 3.8L turbo in the grand national, they also ran that motor in the 89 GTA trans am(stoped sales becouse it was faster than the vette).
back on topic. i think they do find a way to even it out wieght wise, i dont thenk its a 100% accurate tho, dont forget some of us are 150lbs then u got fat asses like me at 235.

i usaully start the car, wait two min and drive off easy till heat get worm
Yep, the 89 TTA. The Vette was a mid 14 second car back then and the TTA was a low 13 second car. It wasn't pretty for the Vette.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
speaking of the cold...*way off topic*...anyone feel an increase in "bump" (juice...power...torque...throw back...uh...etc) w/ their cai? assuming you have one of course...

edit: b/c of their cai
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Here's some more opinions:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=warming