Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED lighting at it's best!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtin
I did all of them. Which one do you need help with ?
I just finished with them. The key was getting the butter knife between the plastic and the metal flange- that's what I was having trouble with last night. Even if you know how to do it they can be a pain to get off.

The fasteners in the trunk come off pretty easily if you follow the directions in the manual- imagine that! LOL

I have everything switched out now with the exception of the console light I broke. Looks pretty good. When I went out last night the cabin lights looked great. The only thing I don't like that much are the door lights since the bulb sits so close to the lens- you get a bright round glow and not much diffusion from the lens. The color is way better than stock, though.

thanks for your help
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 AM
A-SPEC

Originally Posted by davenlei
simonsez,

I switched out my license plate lights also with the white LED's but they do not look really white. They actually look a little violet.. Is yours the same? I wonder if Brian accidentally sent me the wrong bulbs.

Well i believe it has a hint of purplish? & bluish color, but its very much like the IS350's llic. plate light
Old 04-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Xtin---

So which is better I do not want my car to be all blue and light blue is nice...so do u think white is better than blue?

Another question...did u guys get the full interior package?
http://tec-toyz.com/purchase/packages.html

which is better 9 or 6 LED?

pls let me know

Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by woow14623
Hey Xtin---

So which is better I do not want my car to be all blue and light blue is nice...so do u think white is better than blue?

Another question...did u guys get the full interior package?
http://tec-toyz.com/purchase/packages.html

which is better 9 or 6 LED?

pls let me know

Thanks
Go with the whites...they have just enough of a blue hint and are brighter (whiter light) than the blues

I got 2 doors, 4 domes, 1 trunk, 2 license plates, 1 console and 1 glovebox. Im planning on getting 2 more for the reverse lights for a total of (11) 9leds and (2) single LEDs

Def go with 9LEDs
Old 04-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Race Director

Can the Sidemarker LED's be replaced to bright white and where can I get Clear Covers and Is the Door Light, Dome Light, Courtesy, License Plate, and all the lights 168 Wedge Lights?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:44 PM
A-SPEC

I promise to post pix of my LED lic. plate lights tonite.. around 11pm.
Well I believe i've got the brightest white LEDs (not sure about the widest output tho...)
Old 04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by Raheel
Can the Sidemarker LED's be replaced to bright white and where can I get Clear Covers and Is the Door Light, Dome Light, Courtesy, License Plate, and all the lights 168 Wedge Lights?
As far as I know, no one makes clear corners, but I wish they did. Im tinting mine with Rockblocker kit soon

All interior lights are the Wedge bulb with the exception of the console and glovebox. License plates, trunk and reverse lights are the same as well.

I bought 11 of the same exact bulb and they all work just fine Hope this helps
Old 04-23-2006, 12:51 AM
A-SPEC

HERE are some pix of mine
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135586
Old 04-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Pro

I'm about to do this but am a little torn on the trunk/license plate/reverse lights.

I will definitely do the white LEDs on the inside, but I heard the 9 bulb LED is too dim for the trunk and it doesn't work well in the license plate.

Another thread has people using PIAA bulbs (filament bulbs) on the reverse and license plates.

Any recommendations from someone that has seen both the PIAA and LED reverse/license plate replacements?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
regular bulbs work better when it is a redirected light such as the trunk light, console or glove compartment. If it's a direct pointing light, the LEDS look fantastic. Even though the license is a redirected light, I still think the LEDs look nice in there, with the crisp blue hue (from the white leds), they definitely look nice in reverse. the trunk light was too dim for me, I popped in a xenon piaa bulb and it's a million times brighter. Standard indirect light though.

It's like comparing a blue laser with a white spotlight of equal intensities.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by leedogg
regular bulbs work better when it is a redirected light such as the trunk light, console or glove compartment. If it's a direct pointing light, the LEDS look fantastic. Even though the license is a redirected light, I still think the LEDs look nice in there, with the crisp blue hue (from the white leds), they definitely look nice in reverse. the trunk light was too dim for me, I popped in a xenon piaa bulb and it's a million times brighter. Standard indirect light though.

It's like comparing a blue laser with a white spotlight of equal intensities.
So you would recommend

White 9bulb LEDs all around inside and in the license lights, a Xenon piaa bulb (what number??) in the trunk, and 9bulb LEDs in the reverse lights vs the PIAAs?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Racer

I would agree- the trunk light is a tad dim when replaced with the 9 LED.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by brianp6621
So you would recommend

White 9bulb LEDs all around inside and in the license lights, a Xenon piaa bulb (what number??) in the trunk, and 9bulb LEDs in the reverse lights vs the PIAAs?
just search for 921 piaa/xenon bulb. I think 194 substitutes for 921 as well.

I wouldnt change the console or the glove compartment. a) the leds dont fit well - one of xtin's broke as I was twisting the cap back on it b) you can file it down a bit and fit it in, but c) its an indirect fixture so the leds dont emit a lot of light.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtin
All interior lights are the Wedge bulb with the exception of the console and glovebox. License plates, trunk and reverse lights are the same as well.

I bought 11 of the same exact bulb and they all work just fine Hope this helps
Silly question, does the light from the 9LEDs diffuse properly in the interior fixtures, or does it look like a little spotlight shining down?

I want to do it, but have been scared to try it after seeing other cars with that unnatural look people get when replacing their tail light light bulbs with LEDs that just shine straight out like a spot and don't send light out in a more omnidirectional pattern so that the silver reflectors inside the light housing can do their job. (Run-on sentence of the year!)

You happy with the how they look in the dome and other interior bulbs?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Advanced

so i need:
front doors X2
front top X2
rear dome X2
license plate X2
trunk X1

i need a total of 9 9LED's right? all 921's........right?

sori if im repeating someone's post, but ive read everything and everytime its confusing me....lol......
Old 04-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Pro

Ok so here's what I'm planning

6 921 9LEDs from tec-toyz for all inside (not changing glove box or console)
3 PIA19224 (2 for backup lights and 1 for trunk, leedog I'm assuming this is the PIAA you were talking about)
2 PIA19172 (for the license plate)
Old 04-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Advanced

actually i think i like ur idea brianp6621. ima buy almost teh same thing except for the backup lights......
Old 04-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 56Oval
Silly question, does the light from the 9LEDs diffuse properly in the interior fixtures, or does it look like a little spotlight shining down?

I want to do it, but have been scared to try it after seeing other cars with that unnatural look people get when replacing their tail light light bulbs with LEDs that just shine straight out like a spot and don't send light out in a more omnidirectional pattern so that the silver reflectors inside the light housing can do their job. (Run-on sentence of the year!)

You happy with the how they look in the dome and other interior bulbs?
They look great in the domes because the bulbs fit sideways in the fixtures. You get more of a spotlight effect in the doors.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:17 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

The 9LED in the trunk is definitely too dim and LEDs in the door certainly do give a spotlight effect. Those are my only complaints, though I am still happy with what I've got.

just search for 921 piaa/xenon bulb. I think 194 substitutes for 921 as well.

I wouldnt change the console or the glove compartment. a) the leds dont fit well - one of xtin's broke as I was twisting the cap back on it b) you can file it down a bit and fit it in, but c) its an indirect fixture so the leds dont emit a lot of light.
Mine went into the console and glovebox perfectly. Perhaps it was operator error?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:16 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by ITL
The 9LED in the trunk is definitely too dim and LEDs in the door certainly do give a spotlight effect. Those are my only complaints, though I am still happy with what I've got.

Mine went into the console and glovebox perfectly. Perhaps it was operator error?
No way man. I'm a perfectionist I tried twisting it on with the led and without and there was clear resistance with that led in there, the led was pushed all the way in, as I twisted the white cap on, it bent the led since the roof of the cap is curved. Filed it down a bit, still had problems, so I took it down maybe 2mm and it fit ok. Perhaps we used different sized 74 1leds...Actually, the 74 1led she had was from some other site: superbright or some such nonsense. I had previously managed to put a techtoyz leds in my glove compartment after some considerable twisting. I decided to put the stock back in there since it wasnt bright enough for me and what do you know, the techtoyz 74 led was bent at a 12 degree angle...damn thing still worked though unlike that superbright pos which barely bent 1 degree and broke.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Racer

I had the same problem with those 2. Finally got the glove box in without breaking (not sure how) and busted the console bulb. I'm waiting for the replacement which I'll try to file down.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Racer

i just ordered mine today. cant wait for them to come in!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Pro

Well I just finished with this mod (well not entirely finished because I'm not sure I like some of the results yet).

My plan was

3 PIA19224 (2 for backup lights and 1 for trunk, leedog I'm assuming this is the PIAA you were talking about)

I did the 6 921 9LEDs a couple weeks back and love it.
I just got the PIAAs in and put them in at lunch. First, I'm not sure if I like the PIAAs as the reverse lights (will have to see how they look at night) I don't think I like seeing the blue bulb in the daytime and if the 9LEDs don't loose too much brightness, then I may just go with those. Also I couldn't tell anything about the PIAAs as far as illuminating the license plate. We'll see tonight.

Lastly, somehow I got it in my head or read it somewhere on here that I should use the PIA19224 for the trunk (maybe since people we using the 9LED to replace both) however the trunk is a 5W bulb and the 19224 is an 18W bulb. I put it in there since it will only be on when the trunk is open, but I'm really concerned about it heating up too quickly/much and melting the housing. I should have used the 19172 that I used for the license plate.

What do you guys think? Will the 18W bulb be too much/unsafe where there was a 5W originally?

Worst case, if I ditch the 19172 in the license plate, I can use one of them for the trunk, or maybe if someone else has a spare 19172 and would be willing to part with it for a few bucks or something, that would be great. Not going to spend another $12 + shipping for 1 bulb.

I'll report back more tonight after I see how they really look in the dark.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I've got the 9 led lights in the four dome lights, backup lights, license plate lights, blue led's in the doors. Had the 9 led in the trunk, switched it back to the regular bulb.

Tried to fit the single bulbs into the glove box and it's definitely too long, I'll file it down another day (my wife already thinks I'm nuts for sitting in my car in my garage at 9:30pm).

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get to the vanity lights, I've tried a butter knife in between the lens and the metal and it just won't separate. I'm afraid I'm going to rip the whole socket out of the headliner, what's the trick? Do the vanity lights take the 9 led bulbs as well?

BTW all the other lights look awsome, although I'm on the fence on the blue door lights, I'll live with them for awhile and see if they grow on me.

Dave
Old 05-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Pro

So I looked at everything at night.

I don't like the license lights. The color is right but they're not very bright. The reverse lights also look good but as I said before if the 9LEDS provide the same amount of light or nearly, I may switch to those so you don't see the blues bulbs during the day.

The trunk light looks good, actually about the brightness I want, but I'm still worried about it being on too long and melting things.

I am going to probably one night this week take the 9 LEDs out of my doors and put them in both the license and reverse lights and see if they look better/give enough light.

Grrr, I thought I'd figured all this out BEFORE I ordered but oh well.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Racer

The LEDs won't melt anything- they don't put off heat.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:42 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
The LEDs won't melt anything- they don't put off heat.
hes referring to the piaa bulb in the trunk. When I popped mine in, I didnt see anything to worry about. The top of the housing was metal, the lense of the trunk light was a solid heavy plastic thicker than any of the other light lenses in the car... Plus heat should rise to the top and that trunk is never open for that long anyway... Mine illuminates very nicely and I'm happy I used a xenon bulb in there.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:45 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by brianp6621
Well I just finished with this mod (well not entirely finished because I'm not sure I like some of the results yet).

My plan was

I did the 6 921 9LEDs a couple weeks back and love it.
I just got the PIAAs in and put them in at lunch. First, I'm not sure if I like the PIAAs as the reverse lights (will have to see how they look at night) I don't think I like seeing the blue bulb in the daytime and if the 9LEDs don't loose too much brightness, then I may just go with those. Also I couldn't tell anything about the PIAAs as far as illuminating the license plate. We'll see tonight.

Lastly, somehow I got it in my head or read it somewhere on here that I should use the PIA19224 for the trunk (maybe since people we using the 9LED to replace both) however the trunk is a 5W bulb and the 19224 is an 18W bulb. I put it in there since it will only be on when the trunk is open, but I'm really concerned about it heating up too quickly/much and melting the housing. I should have used the 19172 that I used for the license plate.

What do you guys think? Will the 18W bulb be too much/unsafe where there was a 5W originally?

Worst case, if I ditch the 19172 in the license plate, I can use one of them for the trunk, or maybe if someone else has a spare 19172 and would be willing to part with it for a few bucks or something, that would be great. Not going to spend another $12 + shipping for 1 bulb.

I'll report back more tonight after I see how they really look in the dark.
I actually used Leds for all but the trunk light and console/glovebox. I did not use a 19224 for the trunk though...not sure what that looks like, mine was a 921 xenon bulb.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Pro

I actually used Leds for all but the trunk light and console/glovebox. I did not use a 19224 for the trunk though...not sure what that looks like, mine was a 921 xenon bulb.
Now I'm confused as to exactly what bulb you used.

You said you used a PIAA right? Well the 2 PIAAs that I know of that are replacements for pretty much everything in our car are the PIA19172 which are smaller bulbs (5W) and look exactly like the bulb which came out of the trunk light (and I believe every other light in the interior (except for console/glove box and maybe vanities), and the PIA19224 which is a bigger bulb 18W which is exactly like the one that comes out of the reverse lights.

Can you direct me to a site or some more details about the exact bulb you used in your trunk?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Pro

So I've been looking all over the net and I do see references to 921 xenons which are all 18w and look just like the PIAA 19224 I installed. The 18W vs 5w is what concerns me.

Also, nowhere I have seen do the PIAA lights actually say xenon, they just say hyperwhite.

Do you remember if the bulb you installed in the trunk was the same size or bigger than the stock one?

At this point I'm not so worried about it since I will probably be replacing the license plate AND reverse lights with 9LEDs so I'll have the smaller 19172s to put in the trunk if I'm not confortable.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
B A N N E D

I ordered like 15 bulbs from brian : 13 921's and 2 white 74's and they are VERY DIM compared to my old lights, i dont know if he sent me baad bulbs but it looks terrible I think. If anyonek nows. I bought these new RIGHT FROM HIM. I had to pay 2 get em put in b.c i im a noob @ cars and I just would like some feedback knowing what 2 do.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:53 PM
B A N N E D

Nevermind my last message. Brian is a very nice and helpful guy he had helped me iwth my problem.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Pro

What was the issue exactly were they bad lights?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry, but someone please just tell me exactly what to order.
i want super white

13- 9leds? what #? thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry, but someone please just tell me exactly what to order.
i want super white

13- 9leds? what #, 2825? thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro

The ones at the top.
http://www.tec-toyz.com/purchase/individual.html
Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Yes, you would need eleven 921's and two 74s for the glovebox and console.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
B A N N E D

they were white leds tinted purple and he didnt know that.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Pro

Weird, glad he's helping you out.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

hey, there's no deal on more than 10 bulbs?

it gets kinda pricey

Quick Reply: LED lighting at it's best!