Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Seats

I know numerous people have complained about butt prints and the leather stretching way tooo soon for their liking. I took mine to the dealer today and they agreed with me and have order a replacement seat. I would suggest you all do the same because I don't think you'd have a problem getting it replaced.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

wooo which dealer did you go to? my seats have butt prints and the sides have mucho wrinkles. i have 4500 miles on the car and would love to get them replaced.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's good. But, I am sure you will run into exactly the same problem. Can you post some pictures of your seats?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Racer

do it. DO IT!

yeah, they replaced mine too.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Team Anthracite Member

caball88, I went to Acura of Manhattan. I called over the phone a few weeks ago and schedule an appointment for today. They lady told me it would be about a 3 to 4 hour wait. I said okay and was about to go kill some time. I went to the showroom, came back and she stopped me and told me they approved it and that they would have to order the part. As for pics, I'd gotta purchase a damn camera. Basically the leather is stretched. It shouldn't be happening that fast.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Also, I think there's a good possibility that it won't happen this time because there were 2 TL'ers there and the seats didn't have butt prints. They were dirty though. I don't think they keep up with the car. So that convinced me that it shouldn't be happening.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by meathead
do it. DO IT!

how long ago did they replace they and are the prints coming back?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nking54580
Also, I think there's a good possibility that it won't happen this time because there were 2 TL'ers there and the seats didn't have butt prints. They were dirty though. I don't think they keep up with the car. So that convinced me that it shouldn't be happening.
Your replaced seats were dirty???
Old 05-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Team Anthracite Member

no guys TL at the dealer, his seat were dirty
Old 05-20-2004, 05:32 PM
I6

What is this butt print? How does it look like?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Its like any other butt print. I basically have the super stretched leather issue.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:02 PM

I dont have serious butt prints on the driver seat. (I'm 170lb) but I do have some serious "old" wrinkle developed on my left/right side seat. I can't believe a 70mile trip to Hapers Ferry last sunday will cause that kind of wrinkle. Even more, my back side seats got wrinkles as well. The problem is, no one has been setting in the back seat from the day I purchased TL. What an amazing hi-tech corrugate feature. :think: I'm scared and at the mean time I ordered lexol conditioner.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Talking

With everyone on the adkins diet now days, I'm sure everyone will be getting these Butt Prints... You all just need to pick up some wait!!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:17 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Condition your leather
Old 05-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Condition your leather
I put some Zaino leather conditioner on my seats and the "butt prints" almost disappeared.
As a comparison, my leather recliners that I paid way too much for have "butt prints". I'm told good soft leather will do this. Wrinkles also come with good leather. Rips and tears, however, are not a mark of good leather.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:41 PM
USC YQUE

Question ?

do it. DO IT!

On a separate note: Are you THEE Meathead from the MH Perspective??? :bowdown:
Old 05-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Club Abyss Member

no problems here with over 1000 kms......maybe some of you guys should lay off Mickey D's for a while :lol2:
Old 05-21-2004, 01:45 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Cdn04TL
no problems here with over 1000 kms......maybe some of you guys should lay off Mickey D's for a while :lol2:
okay smart ass, I'm not fat. I'm 5'7 and a half and weight 169. The car shouldn't have all the damn leather issues.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lakeman
I put some Zaino leather conditioner on my seats and the "butt prints" almost disappeared.
As a comparison, my leather recliners that I paid way too much for have "butt prints". I'm told good soft leather will do this. Wrinkles also come with good leather. Rips and tears, however, are not a mark of good leather.
Lakeman, you're absolutely right. The better the leather, the more wrinkles you're going to see. Go to a leather store to buy a couch and they will tell you the most expensive ones are the ones that show the most wear. The seats in the Lexus SC300/400 used to wrinkle more than any others I've ever seen but they were made of some of the best leather. The only thing you can do to ward off the wear is use Lexol, Zaino, etc.

The stretching (butt prints) is a different story. The dealers should fix that.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Racer

how long ago did they replace they and are the prints coming back?
about 1 month ago, there were some creases, now they are coming back in a different location but they aren't as bad as the first ones. the leather is really shitty. it was really apparent when i was in my buddys 2002 tl w/ almost 50k miles and his seats look better than mine...
Old 05-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Team Anthracite Member

about 1 month ago, there were some creases, now they are coming back in a different location but they aren't as bad as the first ones. the leather is really shitty. it was really apparent when i was in my buddys 2002 tl w/ almost 50k miles and his seats look better than mine...
Damn that sucks. I hope mine doesn't come back. Also, here's some advice. Don't put your wallet in your back pocket. I keep mine in my side pocket while driving.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:19 AM
Drifting

Hey guys...leather is going to wrinkle...PERIOD!!!
If you don't want wrinkle's...get a car with cloth or vinyl seats. The wrinkle's and creases you get in leather is just normal wear and stretching. Leather is a natural product, and as such will stretch with time. You can get thick hard leather like Mercedes uses, and IMHO it's not comfortable,and it won't stretch as much, but I personally don't like it because it's too hard. My Legend had thick leather seats, and after 100,000 miles had few wrinkles, but it wasn't very comfortable and I'd rather have the soft supple leather in the TL, than the hard thick leather in a Mercedes. It's a matter of taste, but don't get too excited about wrinkles...it's just a sign that the material is leather and not vinyl.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

okay smart ass, I'm not fat. I'm 5'7 and a half and weight 169. The car shouldn't have all the damn leather issues.
You are incorrect. At 5'7 and 169 pounds you're not clinically 'obese' but you are fat.

A 5'7 male's optimum weight is 145 pounds. If you weighed as much, you'd have no buttprints and/or wrinkling as found in my vehicle.

The Atkins® diet is a terrific way to shed your chub and save your seats without the need for Lexol®. Once the weight is off, you'll also feel less grumpy and less prone to complain about the best car on the road for under $40,000.

BJ
Old 05-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I know numerous people have complained about butt prints and the leather stretching way tooo soon for their liking. I took mine to the dealer today and they agreed with me and have order a replacement seat. I would suggest you all do the same because I don't think you'd have a problem getting it replaced.
I'm 275lbs and have yet to have butt prints or wrinkle problems with my seat. Could be my ass is wide enough to make it even across the seat, who knows but so far so good for me.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Norse396
I'm 275lbs and have yet to have butt prints or wrinkle problems with my seat. Could be my ass is wide enough to make it even across the seat, who knows but so far so good for me.
How tall are you?

BJ
Old 05-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boltjames
You are incorrect. At 5'7 and 169 pounds you're not clinically 'obese' but you are fat.

A 5'7 male's optimum weight is 145 pounds.
I know BJ is just playing around, but I can't resist. The standardized charts for height and weight are not sufficient to determine if a person is "overweight" in the "fat" sense. This guy might be cut like a prizefighter. To really do an accurate assessment, you also need body fat percentage. Now, if the guy has a beer belly the size of a beach ball, then you can do the body fat assessment from across the room. If not, there are other techniques.

Still, the implication BJ is making is correct. A lot of Americans don't think they are overweight when in fact they are. Obesity is rampant in this country, and starting to get worse in other Westernized nations, too. Fortunately, owning a TL can help. Next time you're hungry for a snack you know you shouldn't have, just take a drive in your glorious TL instead. It will satisfy like a Snicker's without the calories.

Oh, and no eating in that nice clean car, either!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

A 5'7 male's optimum weight is 145 pounds. If you weighed as much, you'd have no buttprints and/or wrinkling as found in my vehicle.

The Atkins® diet is a terrific way to shed your chub and save your seats without the need for Lexol®. Once the weight is off, you'll also feel less grumpy and less prone to complain about the best car on the road for under $40,000.

BJ
Don't forget to augment the Atkins diet with the Zaino shakes!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Don't forget to augment the Atkins diet with the Zaino shakes!
Zaino shakes are low in carbs but very high in sugar. I hear they're working on ones with Splenda, so I'm waiting for those.

BJ
Old 05-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Team Anthracite Member

BJ
First of all you fake ass doctor. Everyone will not fall into that category. Second, weight is not just determined by your HEIGHT. Age plays a part as well. Third you don't know A MOTHERFUCKEN thing about me. I could be a body builder. Just because I'm 5'7 and 169 doesn't mean I'm fat. Let me asure your dumb ass right now. I'm not a body builder but I am very much into working about. Always have been and you would not know I'm 169. Another thing, this car SHOULD be made to support ANYONE at 169lbs whether they're the correct weight for their height or not. Don't let your smart mouth get you in trouble.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:58 PM
the Budman

I'm 6'4" and about 250. I don't have butt prints on the drivers side. I have about 3300 miles on my TL. Now, my passenger's seat has an on again, off again prints. I'd say of the 3300 miles, someone has been in that seat for less than half, maybe a third. I'd Zaino'd it and Lexol'd it several times and at the moment, it's gone. My vin is 16xxx.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking The 70 cent spead?

Originally Posted by budman
I'm 6'4" and about 250. I don't have butt prints on the drivers side. I have about 3300 miles on my TL. Now, my passenger's seat has an on again, off again prints. I'd say of the 3300 miles, someone has been in that seat for less than half, maybe a third. I'd Zaino'd it and Lexol'd it several times and at the moment, it's gone. My vin is 16xxx.
Let's face it: Butt prints, like butts, come and go.

Try to get a GF with a big butt. It spreads out the weight. However, if you're getting butt prints around the corners on the sides of the seat bottoms, you've gone too far. If you're having trouble finding girls with big butts, contact boltjames and ask for his little black book. :facelick:

XP
Old 05-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

First of all you fake ass doctor. Everyone will not fall into that category. Second, weight is not just determined by your HEIGHT. Age plays a part as well. Third you don't know A MOTHERFUCKEN thing about me. I could be a body builder. Just because I'm 5'7 and 169 doesn't mean I'm fat. Let me asure your dumb ass right now. I'm not a body builder but I am very much into working about. Always have been and you would not know I'm 169. Another thing, this car SHOULD be made to support ANYONE at 169lbs whether they're the correct weight for their height or not. Don't let your smart mouth get you in trouble.
Don't make this personal, puffyboy.

BJ
Old 05-22-2004, 03:49 PM
USC YQUE

Wink Phat is the new Fat!

BJ
....yeah, that diatribe is prone to elevating his BP. He surely must be out of breath!

(Please note my comments are purely tongue-in-check)
Old 05-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Amen, brotha...FYI muscle is 3 times heavier than fat...do the math..
$.02 :banghead:
Old 05-22-2004, 04:57 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BJ
OK,

I see BJ looking like Jim Carry in "The Mask" movie....

"Somebody Stop Me!!!"

nking54580,
Before this gets out of hand please be advised BJ loves to mess with folks. "Most" and I say most of the time it's all fun and games.. Until someone gets hurt that is...
Old 05-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Eduardo
....yeah, that diatribe is prone to elevating his BP. He surely must be out of breath!

(Please note my comments are purely tongue-in-check)

I see you have jokes so lets end this right now. When ever you're in NY then msg me. We can have a challenge in whatever. Basketball, Football, Baseball, Weight Lifting, Push ups, Sit ups, Running or whatever. It doesn't matter okay Mr. Olympia. This is a forum for the TL so lets keep it like that. Cut it with all the insulting remarks when you don't even know the person.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Instructor

I guess I am confused, is the leather supposed to stay like it just came out of the factory? Is a baseball glove supposed to stay stiff as new? Are Feragamo's not supposed to break in? Is a Natuzzi sofa not supposed to get softer and more supple? I can't understand why all of you FREAKS think your TL is immune to the law of physics or to natural wear!!! Get over it! It is animal skin, it used to roam around on a cow, it is no different that yours or my skin!! I bet if you looked at the butts that are leaving the marks, they probably have a few more wrinkles in them than the day they left the factory!
Old 05-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1> The leather is soft.
2> It will show a butt print when you get up from the seat
3>Come back in 10 minutes and the butt print will be gone. = no problem. Also lexol every month and it is sure to keep the leather from drying out and wearing at a accellerated rate> . IMO
Old 05-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I see you have jokes so lets end this right now. When ever you're in NY then msg me. We can have a challenge in whatever. Basketball, Football, Baseball, Weight Lifting, Push ups, Sit ups, Running or whatever. It doesn't matter okay Mr. Olympia. This is a forum for the TL so lets keep it like that. Cut it with all the insulting remarks when you don't even know the person.
A 'challenge'? I'm thin. Don't need muscles. You probably could beat me at, ooh, weight lifting. All I'm doing is some simple arithmetic:

(5'7 + 169) x (Wrinkled Leather / Excuses) = Pudgy

I really do not mean any insult, so please don't take it that way. If you're offended I truly apologize, chubster. Can you please pass the sausage?

BJ
Old 05-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Team Anthracite Member

A 'challenge'? I'm thin. Don't need muscles. You probably could beat me at, ooh, weight lifting. All I'm doing is some simple arithmetic:

(5'7 + 169) x (Wrinkled Leather / Excuses) = Pudgy

I really do not mean any insult, so please don't take it that way. If you're offended I truly apologize, chubster. Can you please pass the sausage?

BJ
Lol, you are a funny dude. Its cool though, no problems.

Quick Reply: Leather Seats