Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Seat Conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Seat Conditioner

My front leather seats are starting to show some lines/cracking what leather conditioners should I use and how do I apply them and how often?

Someone told me I should get a leather kit from a local furniture dealer that they sell for their leather couches...says its badass for leather...

Good idea?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

http://leatherique.com/

I use this stuff, and my leathers look brrrrrand new.
This stuff is a liquid, so, unlike cream, it doesn't get pasty and stuck in the holes in the leather.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Bring It

I use Zaino Leather Cleaner and Conditioner once a month. If ur seats are cracking and it looks really bad, Acura will replace them for u until 50K miles.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
http://leatherique.com/

I use this stuff, and my leathers look brrrrrand new.
This stuff is a liquid, so, unlike cream, it doesn't get pasty and stuck in the holes in the leather.
sorry. Forgot to add that you should get the rejuvinator oil, and then the prestine clean. just dab the microfiber towel w/ the rejunivator oil. wipe unto leather. then follow it up w/ the prestine clean. Let it "soak" into the leather for about 1/2 hour or so. makes the leathers nice and soft, and keeps the cracks out.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:29 AM
HMFIC

I just did a Lexol clean/condition last night. It works great for me. My seats look great!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Instructor

I also use Lexol and they look/smell nice. I apply it every week during the summer because I dont have access to a garage/carport. Lines showing is normal but I would have the cracking checked out.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Intermediate

Like others have suggested, I use Zaino Leather in a bottle... It smells really good too! They also sell a leather "cleaner" that is supposed to remove salts and the like before conditioning...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino
Old 08-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Megs Spay, Spay A Little On Towel And Wipe On Good Shine And Soft . Every Three Weeks . Seattle Weather. Humid But Ac Will Dry Your Leather . A Good Ac Unit Takes One Quart Of Water Out Of The Air An Hour. Ac School.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I bought a Lexol kit online for about $30-35 that included all the leather care products and a vinyl cleaner (I also use Aerospace 303, especially on the dash). I have the parchment interior so I spend a little extra attention keeping it clean as it would show wear and stains more obviously. I clean & condition quarterly (my car is garaged at home and at work). Further, I find the leather wipes are good for a quick bi-weekly (usually my wash schedule) clean up. They are quick, conveniant and not subject to caking up the perforated leather, but I would not say they substitute a regular cleaning & conditioning regiment (whichever brand you choose).

Keep in mind your habits and enviroment. More sun exposure will affect the leather, sea air, sweat and even dyes from your clothing. Leather will eventually wrinkle and develope a patina. But key is to prevent cracking, tearing and stains. On my driver's seat side bolsters I have small, barely noticable patches that look like a dye has infiltrated the leather...likely from my belts. I have tried every suggestion on this board, but they remain, although not worsening and again, barely noticable. I rarely wear jeans, but the few times I have, I have noticed some blue dye transfer. The leather wipes removed it without doing a full clean / condition treatment....just another reason I like the wipes - quick clean up and 'damage control'. Otherwise my interior is as pristine as new...although only 6 months old.

Just remember leather is not a manufactured product. Like our own skin, it has imperfections. Minor flaws and wear (aside from blatent defects) are part of the character with leather.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Has anyone compared the Zaino, Leatherique, and Lexol products? Not sure which one I should pick up. I've got the Camel colored interior and want to be sure it stays looking as good as it does now (only a few months old). I've yet to condition or clean, but I need to ASAP.

I'm leaning towards the Leatherique product only because I seem to be most impressed by their site and statements regarding their quality.

Any opinions?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Has anyone compared the Zaino, Leatherique, and Lexol products? Not sure which one I should pick up. I've got the Camel colored interior and want to be sure it stays looking as good as it does now (only a few months old). I've yet to condition or clean, but I need to ASAP.

I'm leaning towards the Leatherique product only because I seem to be most impressed by their site and statements regarding their quality.

Any opinions?
I've used Zaino and Lexol. They're all good. Just apply it regularly.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For the seats, I use the lexol wipes and spray 303 on them. The best of both worlds! For the dash, 303 alone.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Instructor

I always wait to condition the leather because most of the cleaners and conditioners I've used in the past always make the seats real shiney (like Armor-all kind of) which I dont like. I like the dull finish of the leather and dont want greasy shiney seats.

Do any of you have the same problem?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
i've used Zaino, 303, Griots, Meg.Medalion
after a while i found that all 4 are great but for different things

Meg.Medalion (or 50%GoldClass + 50%distilled water)
is amazing when it comes to surfaces you touch
such as steering wheel ... it's smooth, non-sticky and dries out quick

303 (i used to apply that to my dash)
is in fact an great product just not for the dash ...
exterior plastic, interior plastic are all perfect after an application of 303

for the dash however i would recommend Zaino's leather
gives is a lot darker look without too much shine
doesn't fade like 303 and what's most important you can dust you dash few days later without leaving weird dark or light marks on, which happens when you use 303

for the seats i found that nothing works better than Griot's
it works like a firming cream
but prints and wrinkles go away when Griot's is used
plus you seats will not squeak and will provide a grip typical for fabric seats, which i find very important since i drive aggressively
it's no good for the steering wheel though since may make it feel sticky if your hands tend to sweat

the best thing anyone can do is try everything and find what they personally like the most
Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Tons of posts on this topic, but since we are at it again, I like the Griot's wipes for general cleaning once or twice a month, but use products from Townsend leather for leather feeding. Townsend makes some of the most expensive seating systems for cars and aircraft, and have an impeccable reputation in the pro ranks. Their spot remover is the best I have seen for stubborn stains - they got an ink spot out of my Camel that allowed my 5 year old to see 6.

Townszend can also steer you to companies that can repair leather - the TL's seats actually have a coating on them that can be damaged, worn, etc. Competent pros can restore it to new condition for a fraction of what replacement skins cost (they are very $$$$$$).

www.townsendleather.com

Their website is also great for free leather care tips, and to educate. Do you know the diff between aniline, semi-aniline, etc?

Who cares? Well, what ya don't know can hurt ya. Treating aniline with products designed for semi can be disastrous.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

I also use Townsend conditioner. No shine, no smell, easy to use. Over a year on my camel interior and it still looks new.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dezzzmond
I use Zaino Leather Cleaner and Conditioner once a month. If ur seats are cracking and it looks really bad, Acura will replace them for u until 50K miles.

mines aren't cracking but it does have pretty bad lines in them already. car has only 19 thousand on it.

i can just say to change it, and they will?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
mines?

Who are "they"? Do you mean the Dealer/Acura? Perhaps they will replace the skins if you roder them to, but this thread is about seat conditioner, which will prevent damage to the leather. Lines are normal for leather, faces, etc. They give character. I would hope the dealer would push back on what is a purely cosmetic concern, and given the cost of the leather, will drive up prices for everyone.

Lots of posts on this topic, including the infamous "Butt prints". The passion displayed in those posts certainly makes one wonder where people's minds are at - or does it explain where their heads are located?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Anyone have pictures of their interior (seats and dash) and what these product look like when applied?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use the Townsend products. These people are in the leather business and know leather inside and out. Hands down best leather products on the market.