Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lease Question

I leased my car last july so in 14 days I will have it a year. I am thinking about getting a a truck becuase I need to tow another car to races. Is there any hope of getting out of my lease? IF so what is the best way to go about it? One option I am thinking of is an MDX. Would there be any benifit to going with another Acura to get out of the lease?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeeper31
I leased my car last july so in 14 days I will have it a year. I am thinking about getting a a truck becuase I need to tow another car to races. Is there any hope of getting out of my lease? IF so what is the best way to go about it? One option I am thinking of is an MDX. Would there be any benifit to going with another Acura to get out of the lease?

Thanks
I'm sure others will come along with definitive answers, but I personally don't think it's very likely that Acura will let you out of your lease. When I graduated from college, I leased an Eclipse and then a year or so later wanted a bigger car and looked into it and there was no way it was going to happen. My only option, at that time, was to have someone else assume my lease (which, in the end, I would have been financially responsible should that person defaulted). I stayed in my Eclipse until my lease expired.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

it would not matter if u got another acura or not. they have u tied in to the lease so the best thing to do would be to sell the car urself. or pay a hefty ass penalty fee.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

1st Post here... My wife has an 04 MDX on a 48 month lease. We love the vehicle, but became curious about the same thing (she thought for a little bit she wanted a convertible or TL). We looked into our options. Talked to the Acura dealer about swapping for a TL, that did not become an option. The lease works just like a loan, there is a payoff to get out. The dealer trade in was a couple thousand less than the payoff (I was not surprised with this). I know the car could sell for a couple G's more than the pyoff, if we wanted to sell it ourselves. After some thinking, we decided to keep it, she really does like driving it.

Now, about five months later, we are looking at leasing an 06TL (I really liked this car when we considered it a few months back). I have an 02 BMW 540i that the TL will replace. I am selling the BMW myself (again, dealer would not offer me what I still owe, and I have a deal in the works now for $3,500 more than I owe). Now I am hunting for Lease Deals on the TL, and deciding with or with out Navi...

As for considering towing with an MDX, probably not a great idea. The vehicle really is not designed to tow a whole lot. I do not know the weight of the car you are planning on towing, but a 1/2 ton to 1 ton truck would be a lot better. I have done a lot of research in the past on towing, as we do have aq 34' travel trailer. We have an 02 Diesel Excursion to tow this though!

Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Masakatsu Agatsu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can either sell your car for the payoff amount and get out of the lease this way. Or you can trade it in to your Acura or any other dealer for that matter. In this case you will end up with a negative equity of roughly $4000 (the difference of what you owe and what they will pay you for your car). This $4000 you can either pay on the spot or have the dealership work it into your new lease, which will make about $110 a month extra. As far as having someone else pick up your current lease, you can do that (there are 2 major sites for that), but the problem with honda financial services is that you as the original leasee will still be liable, meaning that if that new person misses his or her payments, your credit history will be affected.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpohl
1st Post here... My wife has an 04 MDX on a 48 month lease. We love the vehicle, but became curious about the same thing (she thought for a little bit she wanted a convertible or TL). We looked into our options. Talked to the Acura dealer about swapping for a TL, that did not become an option. The lease works just like a loan, there is a payoff to get out. The dealer trade in was a couple thousand less than the payoff (I was not surprised with this). I know the car could sell for a couple G's more than the pyoff, if we wanted to sell it ourselves. After some thinking, we decided to keep it, she really does like driving it.

Now, about five months later, we are looking at leasing an 06TL (I really liked this car when we considered it a few months back). I have an 02 BMW 540i that the TL will replace. I am selling the BMW myself (again, dealer would not offer me what I still owe, and I have a deal in the works now for $3,500 more than I owe). Now I am hunting for Lease Deals on the TL, and deciding with or with out Navi...

As for considering towing with an MDX, probably not a great idea. The vehicle really is not designed to tow a whole lot. I do not know the weight of the car you are planning on towing, but a 1/2 ton to 1 ton truck would be a lot better. I have done a lot of research in the past on towing, as we do have aq 34' travel trailer. We have an 02 Diesel Excursion to tow this though!

Good Luck.
We could have just traded cars... heh heh
Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Fructus has the right idea.

Try an ad on cars.com to sell your TL. I've used them before with good results (to buy and sell). If you can sell it outright, you'll have the smallest loss. And, depending on how quickly you need to dump the TL for something else, you can keep re-running the cars.com ad for no extra cost if it doesn't sell.

Option 2 is to go somewhere *other* than your original dealer where you got the lease and negotiate a great deal on something new. Make sure that you a) don't drive there in your TL and b) tell them "NO" when they ask if you're trading anything in. Make your best deal at at least two different dealerships. Then, bring up the TL as a trade. You can buy the TL outright at any point in the lease, which is your debt. The amount they'll give you in trade (based on them NOT rewriting the selling price of your new vehicle) will be the actual cash value of the TL to them. The difference between the debt and the ACV is what you're going to lose on the TL.

As for using a MDX to tow another car: I don't like the idea. Your tow vehicle should always be heavier than the vehicle and trailer (combined) that you are towing (for stability). I doubt the MDX is heavier than many combo's like that. Plus, you're going to be asking it to take on a LOT of additional weight for acceleration AND braking. It's just not designed for that. Look into something more "heavy-duty" to tow a car... even if it's a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup that you buy for cheap just to tow with. If you do go the pickup route, consider the heavier pickup and load the bed with 500-1000 lbs of weight to give you good stability.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jeeper31
We could have just traded cars... heh heh
A few months back that would have been feasible! But we are very happy with our two Acuras and Excursion!!!

I can't stress enough the info on towing that stated in my last paragragh... And also what meburdick states... Some vehicles are desighned to tow well, and others are not... By using a vehicle that is not (such as the MDX) you ae putting yourelf and others o the road in danger. All vehicles have a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) which is the maximum loaded (people, gear, fuel, etc) weight of the combined trailer and tow vehicle that the tow vehicle can handle. Some vehicles are designed to actual handle a heavier lad than what the tow vehicle weighs, but that is always accomplished with proper hitch setup (weight distribution and anti-sway bars) and brake controllers (for trailers with brakes on them to assist with stopping. When we decided to get into RVing, we decided to get a diesel excursion for it's power and towing capability. This is a 3/4 truck with a GCWR of 20,000 lb. The truck weighs in by itself at about 7000 lbs, and are trailer un loaded about the same. Add a couple thousand pounds of gear and fuel, and we are still well inside the towing capacity of the vehicle.

By over loading a vehicles towing limits you are also not just putting yourself and other’s on the road in danger, but a lot of wear and tear on the MDX. If this were a leased vehicle, you may very well get dinged for this when the vehicle is to be turned in as well.

Go to www.rv.net/forums and find the towing forum for a lot more info. Also, to see the weight ratings of Ford (I know this one since I have been to it) go to https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...ng/default.asp. Good Luck!