Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

launching off from a stop..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
launching off from a stop..

i have a 04 5spd auto and i was wondering if anyone also that has an auto have any launch tactics they use when goin off the line from a stop if you were to race someone? because the other day i raced my friend with a 03 SE-R spec V the other night and we did it off a stop, i tried power breaking in the sport shift mode and it would automatically shift to 2nd and would only go up to 2000 RPMand id get a crappy launch. i tried power breaking in the regular drive mode and same thing RPm would goin reach 2000, and again crappy launch. Is there anyway to rev my rpm higher to get a better launch or imma have to deal with it b/c i have an auto?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:17 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're JUST looking for a quick launch, then try L. That will hold 1st until near redline then shift to 2nd. However, it won't shift out of second unless you shift to either Drive or SS. Shifting to SS will likely take more time than you want and I'm not sure how D will work for you after that.

Disclaimer: This post in no way condones street racing. Use at your own risk, yadda yadda...
Old 12-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
not that i hav done this or not lol, but try revving in neutrul for 2 seconds and then switch to auto quickly, after it shifs to 2nd, switch to s shift and u can do that.... but be sure to not go over 3000 rpm, i dont no if the clutch could handle that..... be carful tho wit the revs...

04 anthricite tl navi/5at
96 toyo landcrusier
03 suburban z71
Old 12-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
o, yea i want 2 ask, u were in drive rite??? when u pushed the pedel, did ur tires screech at all??? i was parking our car and wantd to test the reaction time lol and the tires screeched lol this happened!!! and..... DID U WIN???

96 toyo landcrusier
03 suburban z71
Old 12-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read my post on this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101601

I got the exact #s wrong on that post, but that post is also linked to other posts I have posted in(which has the correct numbers).

For best quarter mile times and being quick off the line:

Start in L - no revving necessary, it will actually take away from your initial launch.

While in L, you will start in 1st and it will allow you to reach 6800 before automatically shifting to 2nd. You can either shift to SS at 6800 or simply let the tranny do all the work and shifting at your leisure.

While in 2nd Gear, let Revs go to approx 6500 -6600 and shift up to 3rd...it should go slightly past redline, maybe 6900.

It takes practice to get the hang of exactly when the SS shifts for you, so you just have to play around with it to see when the optimal time to shift would be in order to get maximum power, while avoiding the rev limiter.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Racer

i think reving your car in N then popping it into drive is bad for your car. when i power break.. i hold the break down while its in drive and gas it at the same time to get the RPM up and let the break go with its time to go. but thing is the car would only go up to 2000 rpm. my question was does anyone have a better way to launch ot get the rpm higher to get a better launch? .. and yes i did win ACURALUVR. its just i cant get a good launch so i would have to do the catching up to beat my friend. ( i dont know how to post or link vids but i do have a vids of it, if anyone wants to see , ill can send it to someone have have them post it up for me?)

like moeronn said........
Disclaimer: This post in no way condones street racing. Use at your own risk, yadda yadda
Old 12-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Racer

i get crazy launches wit the tl i love it..... i wish i could post a vid... only prob is too much tire spin... i raced a gt stang the other day and won the launch .. i was spinnin the tires all the way through L then shifted to ss and then 3rd and bam i won... the launch on the TL isnt that bad.. its no evo or sti but its decent ive seen cars with worse.my tires let out a nice scrreech almost like sum1 is rubbin there figner around a wine glass really really loud and bam second and im gone.. i mastered this technique i wish i culd go to the track and see wat i run because i think im runnin really quick..
Old 12-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Racer

cool.. thanx for the replies.. so i guess the best way so far is to launch from L huh?

like moeronn said........

Disclaimer: This post in no way condones street racing. Use at your own risk, yadda yadda
Old 12-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Racer

also... turn off your VSA
Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

eww, eww - I know the answer, call me, call me!

How about DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Cruisin'

turn off your vsa start in L and you should get a decent start.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Revving in neutral & dropping into a forward gear is a bad idea, IMHO. Good way to toast your tranny.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

I know we all like to race but just be advised that everything you do to the car in terms of your driving habits is being recorded. If there is a problem with the transmission or engine and Acura runs a diagnostic on the car and it shows unauthorized driving habits, it may void the warranty. That’s just my
Old 12-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Bluenote
Revving in neutral & dropping into a forward gear is a bad idea, IMHO. Good way to toast your tranny.
I can't stress this enough. It is much worse than the brake torquing (holding the brake, while revving the engine in D). The neutral-drop is hell on the drivetrain components.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Not only are chipped/broken gear teeth a possibility, so are twisted driveshafts, broken CV joints & differentials, but so is a cracked tranny case.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Nurse
I know we all like to race but just be advised that everything you do to the car in terms of your driving habits is being recorded. If there is a problem with the transmission or engine and Acura runs a diagnostic on the car and it shows unauthorized driving habits, it may void the warranty. That’s just my
Hey Bluenote (or any other Acura certified ... ) can you clear this one up?? I'm not sure but I don't think it's keeping track of everything you do in the car. I can only assume it's keeping certain diagnostic specific info and like the rolling last 30 seconds of data ... but it's just a guess.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM
I like you, do u like me?

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
not that i hav done this or not lol, but try revving in neutrul for 2 seconds and then switch to auto quickly, after it shifs to 2nd, switch to s shift and u can do that.... but be sure to not go over 3000 rpm, i dont no if the clutch could handle that..... be carful tho wit the revs...

96 toyo landcrusier
03 suburban z71
Call me crazy, but I don't think that taking advice from a 12 year old in regards to abusing your 35K luxury car is the wisest of choices.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

The ECM does keep certain info for some time, but after a certain number of starts the info is lost. Sorry, can't be any more specific than that.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nurse
What exactly are "unauthorized driving habits"? What is ok, and what isn't ok? Is 80mph ok? What about 100mph? 6900RPM's? 7200RPM's?

While I agree that some (maybe many) things are probably recorded, I have to call BS on "everything you do to the car in terms of your driving habits is being recorded". If this is opinion only, that's fine. But, the way it's written sounds like fact to me. If it's a fact, I'd like to see proof in the form of a link.

Any Honda/Acura trained mechanics want to chime in?? I am very curious in facts rather than speculation.

BTW - I agree with the majority, neutral drops is a dumb idea.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it. Thanks Bluenote.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's no way they would void the warranty for just driving fast or beating on it. My personal feeling is if the car can do it, it's under warranty. The neutral slams would be excluded from that thought though.

Joe
Old 12-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

I can tell you from experience there are a few things that Acura will deny:

-Drift pins backing out of differentials on 2nd generation Integras. This is caused by rocking in the snow.

-Broken tranny gears. the usual cause is a neutral drop.

-Piston to valve interference on an RSX engine, causing engine damage. This can be caused by accidentally downshifting and over-revving the engine. Usually occured when searching for 6th gear & dropping into 2nd instead. The rev limiter doesn't help in this case, since it isn't under load.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:12 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Ive had experience driving TLs for almost 4 years now, and the best way to launch that is idiot proof and gets an awesome lauch is first and foremost: SHUT THE VSA OFF.....it absolutely murders the launch on the TL. Next, put it in SS and let the computer automatically shift the 1-2 for you like your in full auto mode. This gets the shift pretty much as close to the redline as possible. Then, shift in SS the rest of the way making sure YOU GO TO THE REDLINE IN EVERY GEAR....not one RPM less. It takes some skill to time the shifts perfectly, but one you master it, your friend in the Spec V will be so far back he's gonna think he's driving a geo metro. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 PM
professional TL driver

the airbag system in your car can track more then you may want it too. originally concieved to make airbags safer and better... airbag systems were set up with a tracking system that tracks speed, brake usage, abs usage, seat belt usage, yaw rates, gear, steering angle, and more. this sytem is used to make airbags safer and so engineers can learn how people use their cars and how the airbag could have done better in an accident. this system only tracks the last five seconds (before an accident) otherwise its just constently rerecording over what it already recorded (frezes at point airbag inflates).... the technology is there to make it record longer if they want to.... there is a fight with law makers as to who owns this info. police want it to be used catch criminals (sensors wont lie when you hit a cornor to fast and lose control) but people contesting that if it is your private vehicle, is it fair for it to testify against you? keep this in mind
Old 12-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
Next, put it in SS and let the computer automatically shift the 1-2 for you like your in full auto mode. This gets the shift pretty much as close to the redline as possible.
I disagree. Using L rather SS will leave you in 1st much longer. Much, much, much longer. SS shifts to 2nd waaaaay too soon. Use L instead!!! Just be careful while in L and with VSA off. It can get squirrely
Old 12-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Most of the automatic cars I have tested gave the best ET and trap speed by just gunning the car from a normal idle.

Brake torqueing is damaging to the tranny if done for more than a few seconds, and does not give anything in return I have detected with my Vericom 2000.

I also do not understand some of the posts about "L" and such - my car goes to redline in 1st from having it in Drive. ?????

Also, best acceleration in the gears is not always done by hitting redline, let alone exceeding it. i have had cars, such as the early TPI Corvettes, that did better when short-shifted.

I would to run one of those g-froce, accelerometer based units that look for optimum shift points. Anybody who has done that would care to advse the rest of us what the optimum shift points are, other than redline?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:54 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Most of the automatic cars I have tested gave the best ET and trap speed by just gunning the car from a normal idle.

Brake torqueing is damaging to the tranny if done for more than a few seconds, and does not give anything in return I have detected with my Vericom 2000.

I also do not understand some of the posts about "L" and such - my car goes to redline in 1st from having it in Drive. ?????

Also, best acceleration in the gears is not always done by hitting redline, let alone exceeding it. i have had cars, such as the early TPI Corvettes, that did better when short-shifted.

I would to run one of those g-froce, accelerometer based units that look for optimum shift points. Anybody who has done that would care to advse the rest of us what the optimum shift points are, other than redline?
MM&FF tested and proved this idea and it played true on their focus, that they were testing..... it seems that the car had really good midrange power but a soft top end... there runs were close to .3-.5 faster by short shifting at 6000 vs. 6750.... it has to due with the cars power curve (torque and hp).

the focus it seems was making max power at around 5700, and then dropping off past that (quite quickly, due to intake and exaust restrictions)... so shifting at the indicated red line was actually slower (red line is maximum revolutions not max power). so by them shifting at 6000 or so, the car was quicker as it was staying in the power band better....

now my contour svt made max power at 6600, redline was at 6750, fuel cutoff was at 7000.... in that car holding it to redline (and beyond, with a chip) helped peformance. it produced power all the way up....

now the tl makes full power at about 6200 rpm. after that it does start to produce less (from the dyno charts i have seen, its down to 255-260 at redline) since the power doesnt drop off too bad and it only a difference of 500 rpm from the difference shouldnt be to much when i shift it drops from 6700 down to 5000 rpm or to about 230 hp. and then on up again