Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killed a new turbo Audi

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Killed a new turbo Audi

I went with a friend to LA today to pick up his friend's new Audi. The guy is a semi-celebrity so I won't mention the name on here. Of course we had to find out what was faster on the 1.5 hour drive home. In the 1/4 it was TL all the way. 0-60 the Audi was ahead by a little. Around 75mph the TL starts walking it hard, so hard I asked if he had eased up on the gas.

It looked horrible from a dead stop, the first time I was sure there was no catching him in the 1/4 but the TL was ahead by a solid 4 carlengths. We have this car to do little upgrades, turbo, intercooler, DP, and exhaust. So now that there's a baseline we'll see how badly he's going to destroy me with the mods and at least 100 extra hp.

I can't remember the exact model but it has only 1,500 miles on it, it's a turbo 2.0L and it's a wagon. I was surprised just how badly the TL pulls it up top and mine is an auto.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i was a little surprised when you said that from a 0-60, he was ahead of you (even by a small amount)...must be all that torque!
aren't those things like 200 ponies from the factory? ugh...500 bucks and you can throw on a chip to add like 90 horses...SO ridiculous!

at least you have the gn to put him back in his place
Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
You were running against an A3 or an A4 Avant. In stock form they're very torquey but not fast - the top end on these cars is terrible because the small turbo runs out of steam after 6k RPM. The ECU upgrade makes a big difference, although it's not 90 horses. It's more like 50 HP and 100 TQ. :P

I don't think anyone can beat his GN.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
had to be teh A3 or A4 Avant like Knavin said....

nothing special there OP
Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
The A4 wagon 2.0Ts are typically in the mid to high 15 second at 85-88mph range. The A3s are typically a little quicker. I don't see a reference to the type of tranny in the Audi.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave_B
The A4 wagon 2.0Ts are typically in the mid to high 15 second at 85-88mph range. The A3s are typically a little quicker. I don't see a reference to the type of tranny in the Audi.
Couldn't say. It's not a traditional stick and I'm not sure if it's a sluchbox or DSG.

I'll see it in the daylight today and find out more info. That trap speed range sounds about right. I went by him with a ton of mph, I would guess close to 5mph.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't so much say torque than the great ability for Quattro at launch. As for 500 and 90 HP claim above, I doubt that and I had an A4 chipped. I used REVO and APR. I stuck with REVO because it was more aggressive. APR gives pretty much the same results but less torque up front. As well, chipping usually adds about 35-40 HP depending on what stage flash you do and it's torque that benefits the most because that goes up more than HP does.
You'd have to do a stage 3 flash, DP, exhaust and getting better coil packs on the 1.8t to make 90 extra horses. All that's more than $500. Check out www.nwquattro.com, audizine.com etc. Tons of people doing it and just like here, tons of advice.
I went with the K04 turbo upgrade and stage 3 ECU flash from REVO. Had DP, High Flow cat, exhaust. She was pretty quick but the 2.0t has direct injection so there's a lot more there for a tuner!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by knavinusa
You were running against an A3 or an A4 Avant. In stock form they're very torquey but not fast - the top end on these cars is terrible because the small turbo runs out of steam after 6k RPM. The ECU upgrade makes a big difference, although it's not 90 horses. It's more like 50 HP and 100 TQ. :P

I don't think anyone can beat his GN.
It will happen for sure someday. I revved on a Mustang Cobra (in the TL) with a large frontmount intercooler and it turns out had been converted to a large single turbo. The guy laughed and due to his wheelspin I was able to stay close enough to hear him hit fourth and still feathering the gas when it would spin. Street tire to street tire the GN would've torn him a new one but slick to slick I would guess he had more power. I pick fights with people out of my league and I've been one of the luckiest people around. I don't know what my car runs because I've added nearly 100hp and taken off 400 lbs from the last 10.60 run but I've beat one known 9 second car on the street. However he was on drag radials and I was on slicks. I always end up getting lucky in some way but luck will eventually run out.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
had to be teh A3 or A4 Avant like Knavin said....

nothing special there OP
Definitely not anything special. I had no idea what the turbo 4s run but I had a good 5mph and 4 carlengths on him by 100mph which is a slightly long 1/4. However, he did put 3 cars on me off the start which if we had not been on a country backroad and taken it into the triple digits, I couldn't have caught him. My car is an auto and with the NT05s, can't spin the tires. I think it was faster with a little wheelspin before to help get it into the powerband quicker.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stlswagger
I wouldn't so much say torque than the great ability for Quattro at launch. As for 500 and 90 HP claim above, I doubt that and I had an A4 chipped. I used REVO and APR. I stuck with REVO because it was more aggressive. APR gives pretty much the same results but less torque up front. As well, chipping usually adds about 35-40 HP depending on what stage flash you do and it's torque that benefits the most because that goes up more than HP does.
You'd have to do a stage 3 flash, DP, exhaust and getting better coil packs on the 1.8t to make 90 extra horses. All that's more than $500. Check out www.nwquattro.com, audizine.com etc. Tons of people doing it and just like here, tons of advice.
I went with the K04 turbo upgrade and stage 3 ECU flash from REVO. Had DP, High Flow cat, exhaust. She was pretty quick but the 2.0t has direct injection so there's a lot more there for a tuner!
Could you suggest some light mods? This is Chris Judd's car, my friend owes him a favor so this is it.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We all know the power of TLs but many others dont. I love surprising the big American muscle cars either passing them or being on their tail....my TypeS is pretty much stock. Can not imagine after my wish list mods.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Could you suggest some light mods? This is Chris Judd's car, my friend owes him a favor so this is it.
Depends on your definition of "light" I suppose. The chip should be the first thing on the list, then a downpipe/turboback (a DP is sufficient) system along with a stage 2 re-flash (the DP will likely throw a CEL - this will fix it). It's not too difficult to get a decent amount of power with little effort out of these engines.

Based on dyno runs and experience on the drag strip, it's best to shift these cars a hair over 6K, because like I said the small turbo generates little power after that. When you drop into the next gear you're making close to peak power.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Questions:

1/ Have the Audi broken in ? By asking that not to say it will be faster than the TL.

2/ If he's a semi celebrity why not A6 3.0T since that he getting the Audi?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vhtran
Questions:

1/ Have the Audi broken in ? By asking that not to say it will be faster than the TL.

2/ If he's a semi celebrity why not A6 3.0T since that he getting the Audi?
Don't know. He lives in the hills but I would guess his primary house to be around 1,800 square feet. He's a very nice, down to earth guy. Nothing fancy on the inside besides a very expensive piano.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Car Enthusiast

^ fair enough =)
Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars

Depends on how aggressive he wants to go. I like REVO because there's a huge surge. APR is the same price, $500 but linear as for the increase. Plus REVO has a flash plug that allows you to change between the settings of the flash which I liked.

I would say if budget is an issue, start with the DV valve because the stock one is plastic, the flash (lifetime tuning for the flash from whatever shop he has it done at which is cool for the price), exhaust, multiple options but Vibrant is the least expensive at 800 or so. Can go up to 1300 new. Downpipe (APR again, great company). Even stage 1 chip on REVO at least claims on the 1.8t a bump from 190HP to 225HP but 263tq with the DV (diverter valve) and exhaust. The K04 is a series used with the B5 S4. It's the safest way not to void your warranty lol. I know people who are running larger. Kit for that is about 2500. That's what I ran. To stay stealth, you can also go with an additional side mount intercooler. The single one is in the passenger side wheel well. I went that route (2 of those) just to avoid all the added attention.

Have him check out http://achtuning.com/ most people go there and they are for the first time, a rim manufactuer and perform shop actually located in the Seattle area. I used to go there a lot and most meets are there. They make a lot of Replica wheels for Audi and they have a lot of body kit stuff.

My parts list was:

DV
REVO Stage III
Racing Downpipe
Exhaust
Racing CAT
K04 Turbo
Additional side mount intercooler
BBK on the front, never got around to the rear before that biatch started acting up and needed to be put to pasture.

The 1.8t will push 300 easily push 300tq with the right tuning.

The 2.0t is a better tunner project because of direct injection and slightly larger displacement.

If he's got a 1.8t, hope he's got the 6 speed. That's what I had. The 6 speed stock is 190hp. I believe the 5 speed is slightly less. Maybe 170hp.

I suggest he do like me and dive so deep into the forums that his signifgant other starts to hate him lol. I've been on these Acura forums day and night. Already did the intake resonator removal and getting my rims pretty soon. Mod bug is a biatch!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Car Enthusiast

^ I thought B5 S4 using K03 and RS4 using K04.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Instructor

^ I thought B5 S4 using K03 and RS4 using K04.
s4 has 2 k04's. audi tt has 1 k04. You can get it used and its a direct bolt on but I suggest rebuilding a used one because I'm sure it's been beat. Or you can buy one new.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Car Enthusiast

s4 has 2 k04's. audi tt has 1 k04. You can get it used and its a direct bolt on but I suggest rebuilding a used one because I'm sure it's been beat. Or you can buy one new.
LOL...I hope you know what you are talking about. There are 5 of my close buddies driving B5 S4, all modded except for the one that heavily modded is the stg3. So don't tell me B5 S4 came with K04s.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Instructor

LOL...I hope you know what you are talking about. There are 5 of my close buddies driving B5 S4, all modded except for the one that heavily modded is the stg3. So don't tell me B5 S4 came with K04s.
Yeah I will correct myself. I guess all my local guys were running the RS4 setup which has the k04's. I had to make a phone call and ask. I stand corrected vhtran. Never afraid to admit when I'm wrong.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Car Enthusiast

^ not meant to pick on you but all of your local guys seem to be loaded. hehehe
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Instructor

^ not meant to pick on you but all of your local guys seem to be loaded. hehehe
Oh I didn't take it the wrong way. I misspoke and you called it. I did think it was stock though. A quick call to my bud from the Audi forums who worked on my upgrades set me straight and I corrected myself here. My wife and I make real good money combined but my money is going towards our house and planning for our 6 year old son to go to college so he doesn't have to go to the military to get the money for college like I did and putting away money in case our renters who are renting out our other house don't pay the rent, can't have a foreclosure situation in the market!

There were a lot of local guys that I was envious of. Now that I feel that we "live comfortable" we still don't spend beyond our means. There's guys on nwquattro's who are maybe 10 years younger than us flying across the country picking up mint Porsche's etc,. But that's Seattle for you. All I know is that I've been working in IT 10 years and still haven't felt like even if I could, would I invest that kind of money in a car. I see S4's heavily modified all the time, a RS4's, RS6's, R8 and the list goes on and on. I guess if I were not married and didn't have my son, I could spend that kind of money but the sensible wife keeps me grounded lol.

I wasn't even thinking Audi until she came home with that BMW. I had a 1 year old Altima and when she told me she bought a new BMW I was like oh hell no! Sold my rims off the Altima, took out my AVIC-Z1 and quickly traded that for a CPO 6 speed A4

I guess what surprises me is that after meeting a lot of those guys, they seriously spend all their cash on mods. I would've loved to throw a GT28RS on it but I had a boat when I had my Audi. Nothing fancy but it was sure a hole in the water when it came to spending money on it vs enjoying it.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Car Enthusiast

^ you have to pay to play .... but I know what you meant after getting married ... Recently some kid totaled my R1 and I don't know when will I ever get another one since my wife doesn't like me to even sit on it. Then kinda have to sell my fast ride + winter beater and got a nice family sedan . Sad..! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiting on the new Infiniti M56xx

BTW sorry OP for thread jacking a little here =)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Instructor

^ you have to pay to play .... but I know what you meant after getting married ... Recently some kid totaled my R1 and I don't know when will I ever get another one since my wife doesn't like me to even sit on it. Then kinda have to sell my fast ride + winter beater and got a nice family sedan . Sad..! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiting on the new Infiniti M56xx

BTW sorry OP for thread jacking a little here =)
LOL yea sorry OP. But getting to his thread and his friend with the Audi, I just opened my mail and got a letter from Audi of America:

Customer Campaign Reimbursement Claim Form. Upcoming Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F2/J1. Ignition Coil Inspection/Replacement.

If he got the 1.8t, the coil packs are a biatch. Even before my heavy mods, I kept having misfires on cylinder 1. The first time, it cracked a piston and they rebuilt it since I was under warranty at that time. 3 more times after my mods but the K04 doesn't void your warranty so I had to pay something like 100 each of 3 or 4 times for the "inspection." Funny how I traded it in at the beginning of this year and it was hesitating badly if you got on it. Misfires and throwing codes plus check engine light. Glad I got this form though in the mail because I will be going to Barrier Audi tomorrow and getting copies of all my stuff so I can get my money back. CT Ice Box here I come

The 2.0t has no misfire issues to date. Each time I took it in, the new coil pack replacement was free, just the inspection and tax I had to pay. Talk about love hate!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
lol my fault. i honestly just threw the number out!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erick3
lol my fault. i honestly just threw the number out!
No worries. Still the best mod for the money out there for Audi's though. Plus the dealership can't detect the flash when they service it. They may ask after driving it but they can't prove it. Worst thing that'll happen is they re-flash it. That happened to me every time I took it in for misfire issues. Just take the receipt back to the place that did the software flash and they put it back on for free.