Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key's stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key's stuck in ignition

Has anyone else have this happen to them?
Damn near lost my cool messing with this.. Wasted about a half-hour trying to get my key out of the igniton. Car turned on just fine, just could not turn the key to the off position to get it out. WTF.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

if ur car is an automatic, was the car in park?????
Old 02-18-2005, 05:57 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you may have locked the steering wheel in a certain direction.

try steering the wheel one way and get the key out the same way... if that doesnt work, try turning it the other way, just a little bit, you dont really need to turn the wheel that much
Old 02-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Intermediate

No, no. Everything was where it need to be. The thing would just not come out.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Actually it may not be where it needs to be. This is caused by one of 2 things. It's either the transmission interlock solenoid located on the ignition or the car isn't going into park even though it appears that it is.

To test that your car is actually in park do the following.
1. turn key back as far as it will go
2. pull the parking brake up as high as you can (for safety)
3. position your foot near the brake but DO NOT touch the brake (safety reasons)
4. try to pull the car out of PARK
5. if it pulls out you may need to use the brake depending on how well the parking/emergency brake holds

6. If the car came out of park that means that the ignition solenoid is fine however, it means there is a problem at the transmission.

I am a locksmith so I see these problems on a regular basis. Also try lubricating the ignition with WD-40 (DO NOT USE GRAPHITE or anything with it). It is possible that it's a little gummed up somewhere however I doubt this to be the case. The wd-40 will cause no problems and is a good measure anyways since it will help prevent wear in the ignition.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get the card out of your wallet

Originally Posted by JtunedTL
Has anyone else have this happen to them?
Damn near lost my cool messing with this.. Wasted about a half-hour trying to get my key out of the igniton. Car turned on just fine, just could not turn the key to the off position to get it out. WTF.
You know that 24 hour roadside assitance card and call them. If you are not sure of what you are doing then do not do it and have them break something. All you need to do is damaged something and acura will say it looks like it was forced.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard and even when people have been careful about trying to fix something. Call them I would rather fell like an idiot than to break something.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by mickey3c
You know that 24 hour roadside assitance card and call them. If you are not sure of what you are doing then do not do it and have them break something. All you need to do is damaged something and acura will say it looks like it was forced.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard and even when people have been careful about trying to fix something. Call them I would rather fell like an idiot than to break something.

Well with my instructions he won't break anything and at least he will know what the problem is when he takes it to the dealer.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no it will not.. but the dealer owns the problems that is what they are there for. And besides as I have told a dealer that it is not rocket science when they choose not to listen to my suggestions.. I have said look I have owned 3 cars and have logged over 200K miles on this product. I think I know something about it.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
2 guys have the similar issue already, you have to get back to your dealer. They will change the part for you.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by rets
2 guys have the similar issue already, you have to get back to your dealer. They will change the part for you.

Yeah I believe I posted in one if not both of those threads too. In those cases it turned out to be the transmission interlock solenoid located on the ignition. However, I was just suggesting he perform my test to make sure it's not in/at the transmission itself. Personally I like to have an idea/know what the problem is before I take it into the dealership. This way I am not inconveienced by making several trips back and forth for the same problem.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Slacker

i have a tough time sometimes getting mine out too, the guy who pulled my car around for service at the dealership had to have me get it out of the ignition (ive got experience with it, ha). It isnt normal and needs to be replaced, im about to schedule this repair and the replacement of a tweeter.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by clewttu
i have a tough time sometimes getting mine out too, the guy who pulled my car around for service at the dealership had to have me get it out of the ignition (ive got experience with it, ha). It isnt normal and needs to be replaced, im about to schedule this repair and the replacement of a tweeter.

Do you have a problem pulling the key out or a problem with getting it turn all the way back to the lock position?

If its pulling the key out you just need to lubricate the ignition cyl. with either WD-40 or Tri-Flow (I stress again do not use GRAPHITE or products containig it).

If it's the other yours could be either of the other things I noted above.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Slacker

its a bit of both actually, ill check it out, thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

This is so obvious that I hate to even mention it, but just in case...

The key won't turn to the off position unless it's pushed in at the "accessory" position. I'm virtually certain that you know this, and that you've got a mechanical problem, but it might save you a trip to the dealer.

Rick
Old 02-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Slacker

no, i realize that, haha, thanks though