Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keys

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Awesome to the Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keys

do our cars come with some kind of chip within the key? if so, what does the chip do? Also, where do you guys keep your valet key?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:32 PM
///////////

yes, the keys do have a chip in them. If you made a physical copy of the key (like at a hardware store), you would be able to use the copy to open the car, but you would not be able to start the ignition (because teh car must communicate w/ the chip in the key in order to allow it to start)..... its a security feature so that a someone couldn't just make a copy of your key and then drive away with your car using the copy
Old 11-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Awesome to the Max

wow...technology these days..
Old 11-09-2004, 04:35 PM
aw1
Pro

yes, according to acura, there is a microchip inside the black/gray portion of the key. without this, the car can not be started as they say. but a profession car thief will take your car anyways if they really want it. it is also why they take the valet key if you install autostart. need to hide it inside the dash close to the ignition switch.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Be safe!

Originally Posted by terse
do our cars come with some kind of chip within the key? if so, what does the chip do? Also, where do you guys keep your valet key?
As far as i know, the memory portion of the security system is in the Key fob. This identifies the Driver number together with their preferred settings for seats, mirrors, etc.

From experience, I can tell you DO NOT keep your valet key in the center console or glove compartment. In fact, don't keep it anywhere in your car unless you hide it well.

My car was burglarized while on a business trip. Either they scanned my remote key or I forgot to lock it. Whatever.... when I came back to the car, my radar detector and Sunpass was stolen. There was no forced entry.

I had a second shock when i relaized that my valet key was in the center console!! Apparently, the theives did not see it. They could have just driven my car away with no problem.

I keep my valet key in my dresser drawer. i know ahead of time when I will be valet parking. That is few and far between. it has been only once for me; when I left my car with the tint shop.

Because of my work, I go to a lot of formal functions. I choose not to use valet parkers as I dread how they will drive it and what damage they might do.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by aw1
yes, according to acura, there is a microchip inside the black/gray portion of the key. without this, the car can not be started as they say. but a profession car thief will take your car anyways if they really want it. it is also why they take the valet key if you install autostart. need to hide it inside the dash close to the ignition switch.

need to hide it inside the dash close to ignition switch? where?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
aw1
Pro

that will depend on the person who installs the remote starter...i guess anywhere inside the dash close to the ignition switch thats close enough to allow you to remote start your car...
Old 11-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Slacker

from my understanding the valet doesnt have the chip in it (my dealer explained this, so who the F knows if hes an idiot or not) and said it allowed access only to the door and ignition. Is this correct?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by clewttu
from my understanding the valet doesnt have the chip in it (my dealer explained this, so who the F knows if hes an idiot or not) and said it allowed access only to the door and ignition. Is this correct?
The valet has the chip in it, which is why it allows access to the ignition. It does NOT allow access to the trunk or glove compartment.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by clewttu
Well, part of what the dealer said is correct.

I believe I know if your dealer is an idiot or not. To activate the immobilizer, the key would have to have intelligence built into it - as it is not alive, that intelligence must be a chip. Dealer IQ scores another big zero!! The access restrictions are purely physical - based on the key "cut". It will not work the tumblers in the secured areas of the car.

I have the key in a small, 4-mil locking closure poly bag, which i use for small aprts and such on restorations. Got them from McMaster, along with much bigger bags i use to allow cleaner oil changes (the filter and all go into the bag).

I spray some WD40 in the bag, in goes the little key, and I silicone it to an accessible, but not line of sight, horizontal location, such as the bumper steel below the rear license tag area. Done this for years - never had one fall off, or get "borrowed". When it is cold, snowy, and rainy, and you need to get in your car, this is one of those self-help tips that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

I do the same in my wife's car, and this has saved me hassle and $$ on several occasions.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Since I don't think anyone will ever know which car is mine, I am probably safe in saying that my valet key is taped to the rear bumper. Directly under the license plate, if you lay on the ground and put your hand under the bumper, you will feel a nice flat space which is just perfect for hiding the key.

I always keep a spare key in just such a place, but when I found out the cost of a new key (I think it is around $60 or so) I put the valet key there, since I don't ever need to use it, and if I did, it is easy to get at.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by Ron A
Since I don't think anyone will ever know which car is mine, I am probably safe in saying that my valet key is taped to the rear bumper. Directly under the license plate, if you lay on the ground and put your hand under the bumper, you will feel a nice flat space which is just perfect for hiding the key.

I always keep a spare key in just such a place, but when I found out the cost of a new key (I think it is around $60 or so) I put the valet key there, since I don't ever need to use it, and if I did, it is easy to get at.

what did you use to tape it with?
Old 11-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by terse
what did you use to tape it with?
Black electrician's tape. Sticks good. I have used this on the inside of fenders and it stayed there, so putting it in a flat level place would work just as well. It is plastic so it keeps out the moisture. You could probably use duct (duck) tape also.

Just make sure to clean the area really good before you stick the tape on.