3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyed '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
someones just out to get the nicks! yeah it apparently happens a lot at the college i go to so a car will not be coming back here until i get a house as an upper classmen. if i knew who it was i would definitely make their life hell, probably via two broken kneecaps, but i have no idea who did it.

still shocked at how many of you guys have gotten your car messed with, i didnt realize how many people hate their lives enough to go damage someone elses stuff
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thenick708

still shocked at how many of you guys have gotten your car messed with, i didnt realize how many people hate their lives enough to go damage someone elses stuff

it's actually a very common thing that happens. out of all places mines gets keyed at work. smh...then back in may when i first got my car someone in my neighborhood decided to take black spray paint and sprayed everyones cars down the block...
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
My Rsx was keyed. Ended up with the TL in the garage. Sleep good at night. Lol
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
That sucks. Sorry man.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
wow a grand for the deductible? yikes...mine is only $100.

your premium wont go up because this is a no fault claim. it's not like you accidentally got your car vandalized, know what i mean?

i can't answer the carfax question (but it shouldn't be a red flag anyway)
It's not really an issue of "no-fault" claims. That refers to certain states' laws regarding how insurance pays out in an accident—usually it means that you're indemnified by your own carrier even though the other driver was at fault, and as a result the law restricts your ability to sue the other driver.

That's not what we have here. The OP's claim is a claim under what's usually called "comprehensive" coverage. Normally, with most insurance carriers, a claim under the comprehensive coverage does not affect your premium because the claim is totally unrelated to the financial risk you pose to the insurance company when you drive. Comprehensive coverage is for things like "acts of God" (tree falls on your car during a storm; rock flies up on the highway and breaks your windshield) or things beyond your control (someone hits your car when it's parked and doesn't leave a note; someone keys your car).
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^i know what comprehensive coverage is.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM

^i know what comprehensive coverage is.
Well, you did say "no fault," so it was unclear whether you did, but either way, there was a good chance somebody else reading the thread wouldn't know what it is and would benefit from an explanation. A lot of people think car insurance is for accidents when it covers other stuff too.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^my apologies, i forgot the term "no fault" is actual insurance terminology. i just meant that it wasn't his fault that his car got vandalized. but yes, comprehensive coverage...thought that was sort of obvious when questioning his deductible amount. i thought $1000 was quite high since most are $100, $250, or $500 tops.

thanks for the explanation tho.

sorry, i just went through this whole ordeal myself last month and had to get my car repainted. still fresh on my mind, like the paint on my car.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM

^my apologies, i forgot the term "no fault" is actual insurance terminology. i just meant that it wasn't his fault that his car got vandalized. but yes, comprehensive coverage...thought that was sort of obvious when questioning his deductible amount. i thought $1000 was quite high since most are $100, $250, or $500 tops.

thanks for the explanation tho.

sorry, i just went through this whole ordeal myself last month and had to get my car repainted. still fresh on my mind, like the paint on my car.
No worries. I used to do insurance coverage litigation, so I might be more precise on the terminology than the average guy out there. But I have found over the years that it never hurts to be precise in your terminology when dealing with the insurance companies! It's sort of like buying an airline ticket: A lot of people think a "direct flight" is the same thing as a "non-stop flight," but it's not—to the airlines, a "direct flight" simply means that you do not have to change planes even though you might make multiple stops en route (Southwest in particular do this a lot).

The $1,000 comprehensive deductible sounds quite high to me too, but then, I have no deductible on that part of my coverage. Comprehensive is relatively inexpensive and I tend to think that if you're looking to save premium expenses with a higher deductible it would make more sense to do that with your collision coverage.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

hey bro, when you got your car repainted was it the whole car? how long was your car at the shop? my car is currently in the shop. i was told my car could be there for a month. but hopefully it can get done sooner than that
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jo Meds
hey bro, when you got your car repainted was it the whole car? how long was your car at the shop? my car is currently in the shop. i was told my car could be there for a month. but hopefully it can get done sooner than that
A month sounds about right for a quality job. My shop had mine for almost two months but it sat in their warehouse for a few weeks while they were finishing up another major job. One think you dont want to do is rush them.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lilsid112
A month sounds about right for a quality job. My shop had mine for almost two months but it sat in their warehouse for a few weeks while they were finishing up another major job. One think you dont want to do is rush them.

most def don't want to rush them. just curious to see how long others took. my friend had his car done in 2 weeks. i rather have it done properly in the long run. just gonna suck for while since i don't have my car. it's my only transportation. rental isn't covered in my policy. i can't afford a rental since they wanted a 300 deposit. i just had enough for my deductible. so i've been trying to find rides to work and school. living paycheck to paycheck sucks lol
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced

so i was getting ready to head out to detroit to check out this g35 coupe when my mom stopped me and offered me a good amount of money to invest and have when i graduate college if i just keep the car i have.. she actually had me sign a written contract. So i agreed and im keeping the TL, i love the TL anyways, so its a win win!

In the contract i also said i wouldnt spend "substantial" money on modding.. so my RV6 PCD's will be here tomorrow morning

you guys were right, my insurance is shelling out 3,000 for the damages, theyre painting all five panels, and additionally they're going to redo my bumper and they worked in about 400 dollars for the clear rock protector across my hood and fenders that theyll have to take off.

my deductible is 1000 which is high (especially because im paying for all of it), after this incident my dad has changed everything to zero deductible... bring it on, keying douchebags of the world!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great news. Good on you for keeping the TL, too… the interior of the G35 coupe is abysmal!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Great news!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by thenick708
so i was getting ready to head out to detroit to check out this g35 coupe when my mom stopped me and offered me a good amount of money to invest and have when i graduate college if i just keep the car i have.. she actually had me sign a written contract. So i agreed and im keeping the TL, i love the TL anyways, so its a win win!

In the contract i also said i wouldnt spend "substantial" money on modding.. so my RV6 PCD's will be here tomorrow morning

you guys were right, my insurance is shelling out 3,000 for the damages, theyre painting all five panels, and additionally they're going to redo my bumper and they worked in about 400 dollars for the clear rock protector across my hood and fenders that theyll have to take off.

my deductible is 1000 which is high (especially because im paying for all of it), after this incident my dad has changed everything to zero deductible... bring it on, keying douchebags of the world!
Your mom is pretty smart.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Wish my parents would do that, I have my sights set on a new mustang in about a year and I really don't need to spend the money. Buuuuuut I have no motivation not to so we will see. Also, the world hates my TL because I just got in an accident a week ago, and now it's off to the body shop again.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Good news Nick.

General word of advice to everyone - Check your comprehensive deductible and consider lowering it. It does not affect your insurance rates that much.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys! I plan on doing some interesting things to the tl since im going to be keeping it for at least three more years.. it should be fun!

and lowering the deductible really didnt affect insurance that much at all, I'll double check with my dad but im pretty sure it was less then 100 a year increase to go from a grand to zero deductible.. well worth it after experiencing this

Originally Posted by Mrtastygoody
Wish my parents would do that, I have my sights set on a new mustang in about a year and I really don't need to spend the money. Buuuuuut I have no motivation not to so we will see. Also, the world hates my TL because I just got in an accident a week ago, and now it's off to the body shop again.
Dont do it! in my opinion mustangs just dont look that good or perform like they should