Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Fob Options

While unlocking my car the other day noticed my windows slightly down . . . lole and behold . . . I said sheeeeeit, Acura put the same option as my Bimmer in the Key Fob. Push the fob once to unlock, than hold it down. Your windows open. pretty cool man . . . maybe I should take a look at the owners manual. hmmmm hmmmmmmm
Old 04-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Why they don't offer the same function for rolling the windows up, is beyond me. It would be nice. I am assuming it's a liability issue in case someone is hanging out the window??
Old 04-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Safety Car

a roll up using the remote would be nice. BTW you can open and close the windows using the key as well. same concept as the key fob, turn once then turn and hold to open or close(depending on which direction u turn).
Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by kilrb
I am assuming it's a liability issue in case someone is hanging out the window??
Good call...thats why no car, no matter how expensive it is, allows you to roll the windows up remotely
Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Yeah, but what about the auto-up function? I have to assume the windows stop rolling up if someone's limb blocks their upward progress?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:11 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kilrb
Why they don't offer the same function for rolling the windows up, is beyond me. It would be nice. I am assuming it's a liability issue in case someone is hanging out the window??
Yeah, I know...
In my 00TL I installed a COMPUSTAR FM wireless remote starter with window roll up feature (bought solenoids for each window), and I loved it.
All windows should have child protection feature just like the front ones (with the Auto buttons).
Old 04-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Instructor

The 03 Accord that I had did have the Window up function. I also liked the fact that the alarm was integrated into the head of the key (not a separate fob).

At least with theTL, the sunroof opens with the windows. You can roll up the windows and close the sunroof using the key in the lock.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The jag Xtype has the up function. There should not be much liability involved with the TL because the window reverses direction if there is a certain amount of resistance in its path.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Team WD Chaplain

Originally Posted by acur8ly
The jag Xtype has the up function. There should not be much liability involved with the TL because the window reverses direction if there is a certain amount of resistance in its path.
This is true to a point. When the window is almost closed the auto reverse disables, chopping those fangers right off.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mr_superlove
This is true to a point. When the window is almost closed the auto reverse disables, chopping those fangers right off.
on the TL? i tested it with my hand(i dunno why i should have used something else but it didn't disable at the top. i tried to push down when it was going up but it would not stop and auto reverse. my hand acutally got caught at the top and was sandwhiched. it kinda hurt a bit but the windows did auto reverse after that. so it would takes quite a bit of resistance to make the window auto reverse. oh yeah don't use your hand if you want to try this. it was really stupid of me.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
on the TL? i tested it with my hand(i dunno why i should have used something else but it didn't disable at the top. i tried to push down when it was going up but it would not stop and auto reverse. my hand acutally got caught at the top and was sandwhiched. it kinda hurt a bit but the windows did auto reverse after that. so it would takes quite a bit of resistance to make the window auto reverse. oh yeah don't use your hand if you want to try this. it was really stupid of me.
Now that is what I call "taking one for the team." Injuring one's self so that other won't have to. Now that is commitment!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
i wish the key was the keyfob, like mercs and what not
Old 08-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Semper Fi

Did you use the rear windows or the front. I think the front should be the only ones to have them since they are the only windows that are Auto.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Instructor

The salesman stuck his hand in the windows and sunroof to show me the auto down on impact function. Good idea for pet and monster owners.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Team NightHawk VP

yup..only front ones have the impact auto down function...the rear ones arent even auto...
Old 08-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cliff
yup..only front ones have the impact auto down function...the rear ones arent even auto...
I didn't know that. Good thing I didn't try it myself in the back then, lol.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Good call...thats why no car, no matter how expensive it is, allows you to roll the windows up remotely
My salesman demonstrated (by putting his hand in the way of the window rolling up) a feature that makes the window stop if it hits an obstruction during auto-up, so I don't see why remote roll-up would be a safety issue.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
i wish the key was the keyfob, like mercs and what not
Does anyone know if it is possible to get an Accord Key, have it cut to fit the TL ignition and then have the buttons programmed to your TL?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jdb8805
Does anyone know if it is possible to get an Accord Key, have it cut to fit the TL ignition and then have the buttons programmed to your TL?

This question has been beat to the ground tons of times. NO.

Well, let's wait and see how 05TL comes out with. Perhaps, we would get some upgrade...
Old 08-21-2004, 10:24 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I use my hand all the time to show people, it doesn't hurt that bad...
any grown man can take it fine... but would not recommend it for kids

It's a nice feature for people that don't know what to do in case of a window emergency...
Old 08-21-2004, 10:26 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by cliff
I was thinking of installing the Auto switch on the back windows too, but I think the Auto feature is somewhere else other than the switch mechanism...
Old 08-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdb8805
My salesman demonstrated (by putting his hand in the way of the window rolling up) a feature that makes the window stop if it hits an obstruction during auto-up, so I don't see why remote roll-up would be a safety issue.

The liability issue behind this is what if the window fails and 1 window doesn't roll up completely and possibly causing someone to break in and steal something or the car itself.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:58 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

window up from keyfob
Old 09-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
Yeah, I know...
In my 00TL I installed a COMPUSTAR FM wireless remote starter with window roll up feature (bought solenoids for each window), and I loved it.
All windows should have child protection feature just like the front ones (with the Auto buttons).

Exacly I miss mine from my RSX... remote start. auto up and down for windows... I really dont want to spend another $500 to get it installed on the tl when all it adds is remote start and window up.. on top of the 1/4 mile radius and having a small pager. I loved being far far away from my car yet still being able to arm / start / roll up and down the windows.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:47 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

My 99 E320 allows closing all windows and sunroof from from the remote. It was a feature I found handy and was surprised to not find it on the TL. Note the E320 has auto up/down on both front and rear windows.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
It will be Federal law that switches have the same design as the TL already has - where one has to pull up from underneath - and it will also be that sensors determine resistance and lower like automatically, to reduce or eliminate the approximately 35 children who suffocate each year. People apparently can catch them in the windows, and when the larynx is pressed, the children cannot scream - a very sad situation for the clueless parent. We have had several cases this summer in Richmond where small children died from hyperthermia while left in cars - one for almost 6 hours in a chruch parking lot, while Dad was inside. The most bizarre part was that the congregation came to the Court House and cheered the Father as he entered for his arraignment - it was a sick picture, let me tell you. I do not see how his conscience will punsih him, as it did not seem to bother him to have left this dsmall child in that Hell hole of a minivan.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Fact check much?

Several cars have this feature and more will come in the next few years I'm sure.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scorp76
Fact check much?

Several cars have this feature and more will come in the next few years I'm sure.
Name the cars that have this feature and that are factory equipped
Old 09-21-2004, 01:02 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkz
name them
Old 09-21-2004, 12:30 PM
10th Gear

Funny situation with Windows

Quick anecdote -

My girlfriend - love her to death - but not that great with the "car" - anyway -

Since I have two cars (04 TL and 99 Tacoma), and only one garage, I asked if she would help me switch places - when I'm driving one the other goes in the garage and I had been driving the truck - so the my truck is in the driveway and TL is in garage - (I would have asked her to move truck but she's only learning to drive Stick right now) -

I pull truck into street and she starts pulling out of garage - she cuts a bit too early and is headed right for "no parking" sign in my yard short of my driveway -if she by chance misses the sign, she'll flop over about a 14 inch curb. My only immediate solution is to lean on the horn of the truck. She stops with my gorgeous TL probably 3 feet from a horrilble encounter with this sign - anyway - she proceeds to stick her head out the window and starts yelling at me - "what the @$#%$^@!#@%@%$^@"

During all of this, she hits the "auto-up" driverside window button and the window rises - pinches off her neck for probably a good 8-10 seconds until she finds the button again to put the window back down.....long story short - severely bruised neck - perfect car - NECKS HEAL!!!! She was fine in a few days - and she doesn't drive the TL anymore!

I would have figured that the window would retract upon receiving resistance - perhaps she wasn't pushing down hard enough....I figure that could be a major safety flaw/issue. Any input?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Acura does have the auto reverse feature. It's too bad to hear that your wife got stuck like that. Hope she is okay. That would freak me out that's for sure!!!!!

test the device yourself. raise the window and put your hand their to give it some resistance. do it early on if you feel it doesn't work properly so you too wont get pinched.

as far a backing up and vision. I also had a problem since I wasn't used to the B pillar. Always had coupes. I installed those additional mirrors on the side mirrors. looks pretty lame and old fashioned but they work.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

2004 SL and up, 2005 SLK
both of these cars have remote roof operation which includes the windows automatically closing.

i'm trying to get the brochure, but they have this damned e-brochure crap, printable PDF, which is not downloading. You can call the dealership I use for service at 877-907-1967 and ask them yourselves.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sparkz
Honda Accord
Nissan Maxima
BMW's
Merc's

Just to name the few I know offhand.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by renfronics
Quick anecdote -

My girlfriend - love her to death - but not that great with the "car" - anyway -

Since I have two cars (04 TL and 99 Tacoma), and only one garage, I asked if she would help me switch places - when I'm driving one the other goes in the garage and I had been driving the truck - so the my truck is in the driveway and TL is in garage - (I would have asked her to move truck but she's only learning to drive Stick right now) -

I pull truck into street and she starts pulling out of garage - she cuts a bit too early and is headed right for "no parking" sign in my yard short of my driveway -if she by chance misses the sign, she'll flop over about a 14 inch curb. My only immediate solution is to lean on the horn of the truck. She stops with my gorgeous TL probably 3 feet from a horrilble encounter with this sign - anyway - she proceeds to stick her head out the window and starts yelling at me - "what the @$#%$^@!#@%@%$^@"

During all of this, she hits the "auto-up" driverside window button and the window rises - pinches off her neck for probably a good 8-10 seconds until she finds the button again to put the window back down.....long story short - severely bruised neck - perfect car - NECKS HEAL!!!! She was fine in a few days - and she doesn't drive the TL anymore!

I would have figured that the window would retract upon receiving resistance - perhaps she wasn't pushing down hard enough....I figure that could be a major safety flaw/issue. Any input?
Too funny. Someone should have caught that on cam.

I only say that since she's ok.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:17 PM
dss
4th Gear

Automatic Window Close

I was told by the dealer the windows don't close with the remote because of liability issues. You can close all of the windows and the sunroof by putting the key in the door keyhole turn once counterclockwise to lock the door then relax and turn it again and hold it. The windows and sunroof will all close.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:23 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Is she tall? If the window is more than about halfway up, it won't retract upon receiving pressure. Try it, hang your arm out the window at the bottom of the window opening. Window up, window down.......but if you're at the top of the opening, such as your fingers around the top of the door, it won't retract, and your fingers (or neck) get smashed.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
My Audi A4 had window-up from keyfob - but didn't open/close sunroof
Old 09-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

But she would have to pull the button UP to get it the window to go up no?

I know there was a big problem with that years ago and that is why they changed how auto windows work - kids were getting crushed etc. Now you have to pull up to close it - before the button kinda went forward and backward - very easy to get crushed.

Quick anecdote -

Old 09-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
This liabiliby excuse really gets to me. It's impossible for anybody to die without someone getting sued! Why would anyone want to put the windows up remotely while they still have a kid sitting in the car? At some point, people have to be held responsible for their actions.

Yes, I know. Don't blame the manufacturers. All they are doing is avoiding lawsuits, whether they are warranted or not. But I had to get this off my chest.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorp76
Honda Accord
Nissan Maxima
BMW's
Merc's

Just to name the few I know offhand.
no way the honda accord has auto up from the keyfob