Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just upgraded to Michelin Pilots Sports

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just upgraded to Michelin Pilots Sports

Has anyone upgraded their tires? The original tires are poor at best. Please share with the rest of the group.

Make
Size
opinion

Thanks,

Vtecne (Formerly of S2Ki.com South Florida forum)
Pembroke Pines, FL
04 TL Navi
Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 AM
GregS

Re: Just upgraded to Michelin Pilots Sports

Originally posted by Vtecne
Has anyone upgraded their tires? The original tires are poor at best. Please share with the rest of the group.

Make
Size
opinion

Thanks,

Vtecne (Formerly of S2Ki.com South Florida forum)
Pembroke Pines, FL
04 TL Navi
I upgraded to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires at around 3,500 miles. I just couldn't deal with all the issues and quality problems of the OEM Bridgestones.

I retained the OEM size, since the TL's ride is somewhat stiff, and I thought the 18's would be a liitle too stiff. I am sure other opinions will vary here, but that is just my preference.

These tires are awesome. They have outstanding traction (these tires really grip in on wet roads), ride better and quieter, and overall are one of the best tires in its class. Also, I believe the tread wear rating is 400, so they should last at least 30,000 miles. The only downside is they are pricey - but for my money worth every penny! I would never go back to Bridgestones again.

Just check out the ratings for these tires at The Tire Rack - www.tirerack.com. This speaks for itself.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

i just picked up my NBP Auto this weekend and i completely agree that the EL42s are awful....i have ordered the OEM 18s and after reviewing the tirerack.com site, i decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza RE750s 245/40 18 ...i should have everything installed by the middle of next week....i'll post a small review when i get them
Old 03-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by gstais
I upgraded to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires at around 3,500 miles. I just couldn't deal with all the issues and quality problems of the OEM Bridgestones.

I retained the OEM size, since the TL's ride is somewhat stiff, and I thought the 18's would be a liitle too stiff. I am sure other opinions will vary here, but that is just my preference.

These tires are awesome. They have outstanding traction (these tires really grip in on wet roads), ride better and quieter, and overall are one of the best tires in its class. Also, I believe the tread wear rating is 400, so they should last at least 30,000 miles. The only downside is they are pricey - but for my money worth every penny! I would never go back to Bridgestones again.

Just check out the ratings for these tires at The Tire Rack - www.tirerack.com. This speaks for itself.

Good luck

...so how much did you get them for?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 PM
GregS

Wink

Originally Posted by rynpamn21
...so how much did you get them for?
I paid a total of $1163 ($220 each) for a set of four with mounting and balancing. This is relatively expensive, given that the Tire Rack had these same tires for about $180 each.

However, in my case, my Acura Dealer (to my total surprise) picked up the OEM Turanzas at the Tire retailer that installed my Michelin's, and promised me that they would communicate my total dissatisfaction with the OEM tires to the Acura Representative. About two weeks later, I got a call from the Service Manager informing me that Acura agreed to reimburse me in full for my replacement tires. About a week later I got a check in the mail for the full amount as promised.

I know that others have not had the same luck with getting restitution from Acura for the OEM tire issue, but it seems to be dependent upon each dealership, and their willingness to "go to bat" for the customer.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I upgraded my EL42 about 30 minutes after I picked up my TL. Went straight to Michilins 245/40/17 and never looked back. The tires are very grippy and quiet. I also got a $50 per tire trade in allowance. I was out the door with my new shoes for around $900.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Racer

Can somebody explain to me exactly what flatspotting is, I'm not too sure if I'm having that problem with my EL's..thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Flatspotting occurs when you first drive off in the morning and reach a speed over 55mph. Then the car will vibrate and shake for about 4 miles (depending on outside temperature) until the tires warm up sufficiently and it goes away.

It will do this every morning when you drive off. If you have it, you will have no problem feeling it.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Advanced

The way the tire is made, if you leave your car parked overnight. The tire tends to develop a flat spot. The Flat spot goes away after the tire warms up. But this is un acceptable to most drivers like my self. This situation needs to be corrected. It’s not normal to buy a new car with bad tires and find the situation acceptable. It might be acceptable to them, but not me. American Honda should give an allowance to those people who are not willing to deal with this on going problem. The car is awsome but the tires are the weak link. I am located in Fort lauderdale if Honda is listening purchased 3/21/04. Flat spotting was the main reason I decided to change the tires. Besides that I can't complaint. Buyer beware.

Sincerely,
Neil Espendez
Old 03-31-2004, 09:58 AM
Racer

Thanks for the info. Ron. I dont think I've been having that issue, I got my TL like a month ago, the tire code on my tires says 8904, does that mean sept 04?? Not sure why there is a 8 instead of a zero...can someone explain..
Old 03-31-2004, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by DopeTL04
Thanks for the info. Ron. I dont think I've been having that issue, I got my TL like a month ago, the tire code on my tires says 8904, does that mean sept 04?? Not sure why there is a 8 instead of a zero...can someone explain..
It should be 0904 meaning the 9th week of 2004. If it really reads 8904 either it is a typo or they have changed their numbering system. Do all the tires read that?

If you got your car a month ago, that would mean around Feb 28th, which would make that the 8th week of 2004, so it probably wouldn't have tires made the 9th week of 2004. Are you looking at the correct numbers, although I don't know why they would have an 8904 on the tire.

If you have the new tires, you should see "TU2" and immediately to the right of that the day code; if you have the old tires you will have "PVC". Check it out.