Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a Black TL. Need design advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up a Black TL. Need design advice

Just picked up a 2004 black on black TL with 120k miles. Nighthawk black pearl. Navigation, DVD player, reverse camera, brembo brakes, type-s spoiler, Powder coated stock rims.

Im super stoked and so far it has been a blast to ride. I'm just thinking of doing some small aesthetic modifications and want to get everybody's input. Especially since I have no DIY knowledge, I'll probably be taking the car to a dealer to get certain parts off.

I want to vinyl the front grill part all black. Is it as simple as taking the grill off from the dealer and taking it to a vinyl place to go all black? Could I vinyl the front with the grill/emblem part on the car or would I have to remove it completely?

Also what tail lights do you think would be best with this color combination? I def thought 07/08 base would be the best but almost all of my friends and 100% of the females I talk to prefer type s lights all the way. I think the type-s appear to be honda civic bought aftermarket lights off ebay ish kinda vibe but the more i see them on other cars online, the more they seem to be growing on me. Do you think type-s, 07/08 base, leave it or perhaps even a custom tail light from a vendor here would be the best for this car?

Any other small mod advice for this would be appreciated

I've been lurking on these forums a while so it feels good to finally join!! Thanks!!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
i'd have those front windows tinted to match the rears, and im pretty sure you can follow the DIY and take the front bumper off and then you can take the grille off. and also my personal favorite tail light is the Type-S tails for sure. they will look good on a black car.

i would also get smoked rear sidemarker..or tint it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
you're off to a good start. I agree with you. I'd go with the 07-08 base tails. Dont forget the aspec kit
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kibbles906
i'd have those front windows tinted to match the rears, and im pretty sure you can follow the DIY and take the front bumper off and then you can take the grille off. and also my personal favorite tail light is the Type-S tails for sure. they will look good on a black car.

i would also get smoked rear sidemarker..or tint it.
yeah i def think im going to tint the sidemarkers for sure! i like the black look over the white look on the black

type-s seems to be everyone's favorite!!! do u think i should paint the bezel or leave it chrome?

Originally Posted by Twisdit
you're off to a good start. I agree with you. I'd go with the 07-08 base tails. Dont forget the aspec kit
whoa somebody else who thinks the 07-08 base looks good on a black! lol glad im not alone! a-spec perhaps down the line i think!

right now its 50/50 07-08 base/ type-s...awww decisions!!! lol

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-01-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by 801TL
whoa somebody else who thinks the 07-08 base looks good on a black! lol glad im not alone! a-spec perhaps down the line i think!

right now its 50/50 07-08 base/ type-s...awww decisions!!! lol
lol 07-08 base is my favorite. I will be getting a pair sometime in the future as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome! The car looks in good shape for the mileage. Congrats
Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LIQUID0401
Welcome! The car looks in good shape for the mileage. Congrats
thanks

yeah i was suprised too the paint was kept in great shape! the last owner put 50,000 miles in like the last year and half driving all around california and pretty much garage kept the whole life
Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
I vote 07-08 tails. Reason being is because when you get tired of the way they look, you can always send them in to a vendor to get it customized and painted to whatever you want...

my stock tails..

07-08 modified tails

You don't have to get it modified like the picture, you can get it modified ANY WAY YOU WANT. That picture is just an example to show you how the 07-08 tails can be modified to something else compared to the 04-06 tails which can't be modified for shit.

With the stock 04-06 tails you don't have any options but to completely spray tint it black, and to me when you spray tint tail lights all black it looks so cheap and cheesy. If you're going to customize your headlights or tails, please dont put black tint film over it, or spray it down with black tint spray.... Do it the correct way and open it up and get the actual internals of the headlights / taillights worked on.

And as for vinyling your grill, you will NEED to take your front bumper off and remove the front grill.. It's really easy. Everyone here was new at one point and were just like you, afraid to remove the front bumper due to 0 experience of working on any cars (the TL for ALOT of us was also the first car we ever owned and/or modified) You have to start somewhere.... Please don't be one of those modders that pay everyone else to do the work for them. That's lame in my eyes. Not a true car enthusiast.

It's kind of pointless to take your car to the dealer to have them remove the grill, than take the car to another shop to vinyl it for you.... In the end you'll be paying for labor for both the dealership and the shop and it'll end up costing you 3x as much as doing it yourself.

All you have to do is buy black gloss vinyl (~$30 or less) and remove the front bumper and grill and take your time and vinyl it yourself. Total cost would be what you spent on buying the vinyl, rather than the cost of labor for the dealership to remove the bumper and labor cost of the other shop vinyling it for you. Not only are you saving yourself money in the long run, but you're also getting hands-on work with your "baby" and that's where experience starts..

With little mods like that, I suggest you get into the habit of atleast attempting to do it yourself before you spend more than you needed to get it done by someone else. After all, it's your car. Get to know it better.

As for the tails, I don't really like the Type-S tails on NBP. Too much red for me. I would go for 07-08 tails or custom 07-08 tails.

Here's what "modified" 04-06 tails look like. It may look good lightly tinted on a red TL, but on a NBP TL i say NO! Completely blacked out tail lights on a black TL kills the contrast of the car from the rear and makes the car look like a huge black square block from the rear. Maybe it's the look you're going for? Not my cup of tea that's for sure.

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 12-01-2011 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
801TL (12-06-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Welcome 801-congrats on your new ride.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

Nice ride. have fun with the mods.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
vitexquangstah pretty much summed everything up...As for the vinyl, you can do it yourself, just be patient. Bumper removal may seem to be a daunting task at first, but like you I had never done it before, and after almost a year of ownership, I can get it off in under 10 mins...

Here are pics of the wrap....

If you want more details, check out my progress thread...good luck!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/bigpzs-progress-thread-updated-04-11-2012-a-814812/
Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 AM
2004 SSM FTMFW !!!!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Congrats on your new car, Welcome to AZ
Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Welcome to the Money Pit. Congrats on the new car.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Welcome and congrats.. You're to a good start
Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
This is your potential with your car.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 127 Posts
http://www.uniquestyleracing.com/20actlty3smr.html or you can look at this site for tails
Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Drifting

I've had more compliments on my black glossy stockies then with my aftermarket ons,lol
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
I vote 07-08 tails. Reason being is because when you get tired of the way they look, you can always send them in to a vendor to get it customized and painted to whatever you want...

my stock tails..

07-08 modified tails

You don't have to get it modified like the picture, you can get it modified ANY WAY YOU WANT. That picture is just an example to show you how the 07-08 tails can be modified to something else compared to the 04-06 tails which can't be modified for shit.

With the stock 04-06 tails you don't have any options but to completely spray tint it black, and to me when you spray tint tail lights all black it looks so cheap and cheesy. If you're going to customize your headlights or tails, please dont put black tint film over it, or spray it down with black tint spray.... Do it the correct way and open it up and get the actual internals of the headlights / taillights worked on.

And as for vinyling your grill, you will NEED to take your front bumper off and remove the front grill.. It's really easy. Everyone here was new at one point and were just like you, afraid to remove the front bumper due to 0 experience of working on any cars (the TL for ALOT of us was also the first car we ever owned and/or modified) You have to start somewhere.... Please don't be one of those modders that pay everyone else to do the work for them. That's lame in my eyes. Not a true car enthusiast.

It's kind of pointless to take your car to the dealer to have them remove the grill, than take the car to another shop to vinyl it for you.... In the end you'll be paying for labor for both the dealership and the shop and it'll end up costing you 3x as much as doing it yourself.

All you have to do is buy black gloss vinyl (~$30 or less) and remove the front bumper and grill and take your time and vinyl it yourself. Total cost would be what you spent on buying the vinyl, rather than the cost of labor for the dealership to remove the bumper and labor cost of the other shop vinyling it for you. Not only are you saving yourself money in the long run, but you're also getting hands-on work with your "baby" and that's where experience starts..

With little mods like that, I suggest you get into the habit of atleast attempting to do it yourself before you spend more than you needed to get it done by someone else. After all, it's your car. Get to know it better.

As for the tails, I don't really like the Type-S tails on NBP. Too much red for me. I would go for 07-08 tails or custom 07-08 tails.

Here's what "modified" 04-06 tails look like. It may look good lightly tinted on a red TL, but on a NBP TL i say NO! Completely blacked out tail lights on a black TL kills the contrast of the car from the rear and makes the car look like a huge black square block from the rear. Maybe it's the look you're going for? Not my cup of tea that's for sure.

great points covered thanks for the input!!! i really like the 2nd custom picture you have for the base modified. that looks different and gives the car a super exotic look!!!

im actually leaning toward the type-s because of the red and how it matches the red breaks i have on my car. it kinda has been growing on me for the past week, giving it that sporty look. i love how it looks here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcubedp...n/photostream/

and ill def be doing the vinyl myself!! only probably so much wrong i could do to screw it up lol
Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bankz
http://www.uniquestyleracing.com/20actlty3smr.html or you can look at this site for tails
thanks for the site....something interesting tails for sure.

would black smoked prob be the most recommended combination for my car or would that be too much black perhaps?

Originally Posted by Italiano
I've had more compliments on my black glossy stockies then with my aftermarket ons,lol
black glossy tails? is that just the red with black tint?

and i like your black acura tl! something for me to look up too! ha

what kind of tails do you have? do you have a back shot? they look pretty good from what i can see

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-06-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Pro

would black smoked prob be the most recommended combination for my car or would that be too much black perhaps?
I'll go with the black tails thats if your gonna do a black theme too your car
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I vote 07-08 stock tails. Once I have some more money I'll be getting those and smoking the white frost piece lightly. And the black grill will clean up the front end so much. I love mine.

Edit: I also think debadging the rear is a must.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

black glossy tails? is that just the red with black tint?

and i like your black acura tl! something for me to look up too! ha

what kind of tails do you have? do you have a back shot? they look pretty good from what i can see
He means his wheels when he said "Black glossy stockies"

He was just trying to point to you the potential that your stock wheels have if you were to paint them "Gloss Black" instead of "flat/matte black" like you have right now.

I agree with him, black glossy stock wheels matches the paint coat of a black car alot better than a flat/matte black wheel.

This is my opinion, and my opinion only. I believe all black tinted tail lights on a black car is a bit overkill. Kills the contrast on a nice luxury vehicle.

I've seen a few audis and 350z/g35/g37s that were black with all black tinted tail lights and some of them do look good... But I still wouldn't ever do that to my black TL...

I think you would be alot better off getting 07-08 Base or TL-S tails. However if you do decide to go with the TL-S tails, please DONT SPRAY TINT IT ALL BLACK.... I mean this is my opinion again, but Type-S tails are beautiful and expensive. I can't tell you how many people i've seen with tinted type-s tails..... that pretty much just RUINS the unique touch that the Type-S tails adds. If you spray tint it all black it pretty much just looks like any 04-06 or 07-08 tails tinted all black..

Pretty much I'm saying if you plan on spray tinting your tails all black, your better of buying cheaper 04-06 tails and spray tint it all black, it will look exactly the same as a 07-08 base/tl-s tail that is spray tinted all black.

Once you get tired of it.... you'll just have to buy new tails because most of the time it's not possible to remove the spray tint that was sprayed on so pretty much (in my eyes anyways) the tail lights are ruined. Even if you decide to open the tails to have it modified internally (if its a 07-08 base/tl-s tail) you still won't be able to see the custom work because of the dark spray tint on the outside of the tail.

This is why I say if you (not just you specifically, but ANYONE) want to get your headlights or tail lights worked on, do it right the first time and get them worked on INTERNALLY. Don't go the cheap route by applying dark tint film or dark tint spray to the exterior. Looks cheesy and cheap, but yet you see so many cars out on the roads (not just acuras) that do it anyways. Most of the time it looks ugly as hell too.

I'm not talking shit about any member on here that has their tail lights spray tinted black though. I've seen a number of WDP TL's that have all black tinted tails and it actually looks pretty hot because it adds contrast. All white car, all black tails. Contrast. All black car, All black tails = no contrast.

Hope you get what I mean!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-06-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

He means his wheels when he said "Black glossy stockies"

He was just trying to point to you the potential that your stock wheels have if you were to paint them "Gloss Black" instead of "flat/matte black" like you have right now.

I agree with him, black glossy stock wheels matches the paint coat of a black car alot better than a flat/matte black wheel.
oh i see! thanks for clearing that up!

i agree the matte looks a little diff in the day but at night no one can tell. i might try to get them priced for a repaint in gloss! it would look better esp since my paint is really shiny and glossy.

esp girls love to dish out compliments even though they dont know what there talking about like....ohhh nice rims or sexy lexus you have there! haha

This is my opinion, and my opinion only. I believe all black tinted tail lights on a black car is a bit overkill. Kills the contrast on a nice luxury vehicle.

I've seen a few audis and 350z/g35/g37s that were black with all black tinted tail lights and some of them do look good... But I still wouldn't ever do that to my black TL...

I think you would be alot better off getting 07-08 Base or TL-S tails. However if you do decide to go with the TL-S tails, please DONT SPRAY TINT IT ALL BLACK.... I mean this is my opinion again, but Type-S tails are beautiful and expensive. I can't tell you how many people i've seen with tinted type-s tails..... that pretty much just RUINS the unique touch that the Type-S tails adds. If you spray tint it all black it pretty much just looks like any 04-06 or 07-08 tails tinted all black..

Pretty much I'm saying if you plan on spray tinting your tails all black, your better of buying cheaper 04-06 tails and spray tint it all black, it will look exactly the same as a 07-08 base/tl-s tail that is spray tinted all black.

Once you get tired of it.... you'll just have to buy new tails because most of the time it's not possible to remove the spray tint that was sprayed on so pretty much (in my eyes anyways) the tail lights are ruined. Even if you decide to open the tails to have it modified internally (if its a 07-08 base/tl-s tail) you still won't be able to see the custom work because of the dark spray tint on the outside of the tail.

This is why I say if you (not just you specifically, but ANYONE) want to get your headlights or tail lights worked on, do it right the first time and get them worked on INTERNALLY. Don't go the cheap route by applying dark tint film or dark tint spray to the exterior. Looks cheesy and cheap, but yet you see so many cars out on the roads (not just acuras) that do it anyways. Most of the time it looks ugly as hell too.

I'm not talking shit about any member on here that has their tail lights spray tinted black though. I've seen a number of WDP TL's that have all black tinted tails and it actually looks pretty hot because it adds contrast. All white car, all black tails. Contrast. All black car, All black tails = no contrast.

Hope you get what I mean!
i def agree 100% i wont be touching tint or plastidip on any light of the car. i see some cars that tint there tl-s tails and it looks exactly like an 04-06 base with tint.

ill def be keeping the tail lights clean. i guess im considering the all black look because ive seen lexus is350s and beamers pull of that look and it looks freaking sexy! i was just hoping that maybe i could try and go for that but id def want to see another person with a black tl that have the black/smoke tails before i end up going that route. i havent seen too many murdered out tls here. if i were to go that route, id get these tails:

but it looks like right now im slightly leaning towards just the tl-s lights no mods. i was thinking about painting the bezel black but i think the contrast looks good and it looks very simple and clean. maybe its because im getting older and simple/clean looks more appealing these days lol

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-06-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

oh i see! thanks for clearing that up!

i agree the matte looks a little diff in the day but at night no one can tell. i might try to get them priced for a repaint in gloss! it would look better esp since my paint is really shiny and glossy.

esp girls love to dish out compliments even though they dont know what there talking about like....ohhh nice rims or sexy lexus you have there! haha
lmao! GIT 'ER DUN!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, in the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon in a multi-quote button. It allows you to respond to more than one person in a single reply.

Please give it a try!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Uploaded with ImageShack.usas requested
Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Italiano

Uploaded with ImageShack.usas requested
thanks for the upload...that looks hott!!!

just wondering...do you get complimented on that black setup alot? its def unique.

i have a hard decision to make!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Pro

you can also get clear mattie tails and keep the grill sliver clear the signal lights and have a black and clear theme going
Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I told myself I'd keep my ride stock. But dammmmnnn...these mods are looking nice. I'm sort of thinking of removing the yellow/orange parts on the headlights, but I know if I did it myself, I'll mess something up.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM
3rd Gear

Hey guys, new to this. I just picked up a black '08 TL type-s and was thinking about tinting the stock tailights on it. I like the original but want something else. Just wondering if anyone has a picture of the stock type-s taillights tinted on theirs to see what it looks like before i do it?

thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by '08 AcuraTL Type-S - MA
Hey guys, new to this. I just picked up a black '08 TL type-s and was thinking about tinting the stock tailights on it. I like the original but want something else. Just wondering if anyone has a picture of the stock type-s taillights tinted on theirs to see what it looks like before i do it?

thanks
Heres mine lightly tinted:

Heres with the lights on:

Last edited by 06tl4life; 01-31-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '08 acuratl type-s - ma
hey guys, new to this. I just picked up a black '08 tl type-s and was thinking about tinting the stock tailights on it. I like the original but want something else. Just wondering if anyone has a picture of the stock type-s taillights tinted on theirs to see what it looks like before i do it?

Thanks
dont tint type-s tail lights..........
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
hey man nice car mind if i ask how much you paid for it?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
^I agree with him, if your going to tint that tailights keep your sock ones. But I say go type s, they look good on NBP.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
AWESOME START..

2007-2008 Type-S tail lights, Cleared headlights,

A-Spec body kit, Tein SS coilovers, Type-S rear side markers,

swithback front turn signal LED's. Interior LED's from V-LED.

Tint in front. Thats for an awesome start.

Aprox cost- $2,400

Last edited by JD TL-S; 01-31-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Loving this thread discussion so far, I just got a NBP 08. I love my tails the way they are but one member on here does a lot of great work with the headlights I'll update with pics and a name when I get home
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get a lipkit... rofl but it looks nice the way it is already.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Here's the vendor/member I was talking about Acktl05, check out the links at the bottom of his page for some ideas
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/custom-tail-lights-head-lights-acktl05-759299/

Here's a great pair of tails done by him
[QUOTE=jauman;13497302]
Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
SOLD

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Those are sweet tails! I'm going to find out hos much for those for sure! They would look sweeeeet on my WDP!

Quick Reply: Just picked up a Black TL. Need design advice