3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 2007 TL Type-S...What should I check for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 04:25 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up a 2007 TL Type-S...What should I check for?

Hello all

I just picked up a 2007 NBP TL-S with 82K on the odometer. I traded in my 08 TSX with 112K on it for the TL-S. The biggest reason for the switch was the need to have 3 baby seats in the back, which did not work out in the TSX. They barely fit in the TL-S but, they are all in and using latch, so we are happy!

This car is mechanically in great shape and cosmetically not as good as other used cars I have owned. I am hoping to drive it for several years. It drives well, I feel. But, this is the first TL I have owned and do not have anything to compare it to. Power difference is clearly noticeable, the engine is much smoother and the 3.5L V6 has that glorious sound that I have loved for a long time!

The dealership I purchased it from is owned by a friend. They did new plugs, cabin and intake filter, serpentine belt, timing belt and water pump on it given its age. They said it needed nothing else at this time.

Is there common wear and tear items I should be checking out or be concerned about? I am in the snow belt, so are there common rust areas? I just want to make sure its reliable, safe and wont leave us stranded on the roadside.

I will probably be asking several dumb questions and hoping to learn as much as I can about this car.

Drive safe, everyone!
Old 08-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This post/thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Honda paint is pretty bad and NBP paint shows just about every scratch in the known universe. But it does sound like they have you pretty well covered for schedule maintenance. TB/WP is the big service on these cars, but CV axles seem to be a problem in some as well. If it drives good then id just make sure you have your spare in good condition and a full tool kit to handle a change as well
Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
you should be good for a long time with that timing belt and water pump and serp belt.. The only thing that would likely leave you stranded is a bad battery and a starter. Which is true on any car. Batteries usually go out like clock work for me. They have them nicely planned in the manufacturing process. If it is a 3 year battery, then odds are it will last within a few months of 3 years.. I just replaced another battery and it was starting to turn a bit slow.. So, I immediately pulled out my receipt, and sure enough.. time for a new battery. I didnt wait. And I Got a new battery before it failed on me.

Ya that black paint is horrible!!
Over the past 2 weeks,
1. Clay bared the whole car
2. 2 hand coats of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax
3. 1 coat of Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba wax

results: when I dry it at the carwash, it feels smooth as butter through the towel. Ya, it's that slick. I can even tell just running a microfiber drying towel over it. That's how smooth it is... haha

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-14-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:12 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your advice and feedback. I am really liking this car. Its about the biggest car I have ever owned and can feel its weight cornering and such,

I have found a few issues so far:

1) HandsFree link has failed - Needs replaced/repaired
2) Transmission is acting weird - Plan to try the shift point reset and see if its the transmission switches for 2nd,3rd and 4th gears
3) Door mirrors seem to click a lot when turning down for reverse and won't work sometimes - need to research fix
4) Driver side window regulator makes terrible noises going down once in a while - need to research fix
5) Hood struts are dead and about took my head off - Have new replacements from Rock Auto to install
Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 AM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
- you might as well forget about the HFL device for now. Because if you replace it with another OEM unit, it will fail too. My plan is to get a newer TL or TSX HFL and create a patch between the 2. So I /we can get another OEM device that works and wont pop .
- Transmission fluid. I strongly suggest Redline D4. I would stay away from the OEM fluid if you have 90k miles or more.
- The mirror clicking in the gear skipping because probably the mirror is stuck. It may need to be dismantled and oiled. And no, I do not know to do it.
- my window regulators, or power motors do not make any unusual noise, and I never read about anyone else who had that problem.. So, I can't help there.