Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered deck lid spoiler from Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered deck lid spoiler from Ebay

Can you guys tell me what is the best way to install this spoiler so I won't get the gap issue? I want to do this one time and be done.

Thanks guys!

Here's the auction: I paid $115.00 for the lip.

Lip spoiler auction
Old 08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Good luck with that. I hope you don't run into issues like some other posters that I've read here within the past few months who've bought a non-Acura lip spoiler. If I remember correctly the issue was with the adhesive making the lip spoiler come off fairly easily.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
3G TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

i purchased mine from delsa-motorsports on ebay and they have not sent item, respond to my inquires, or acknowledge my existence at all after my payment was received. Link to spoiler

Old 08-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it's the type with the double sided tape on the bottom, the main thing is to get the surface of the trunk so clean and oil free that the tape will bond very tightly. use soap and really get everything off including any wax or polish that might be there. then just carefully apply the spoiler and put pressure evenly all around with your hands. i let mine sit for a few hours before driving.

oh, and mine was very flexible. dont flex it at all if you can help it. it will crack the paint.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ityper
i purchased mine from delsa-motorsports on ebay and they have not sent item, respond to my inquires, or acknowledge my existence at all after my payment was received. Link to spoiler

That's some b.s. did you try to call them? Google them or something. I ordered some shiet from ebay last week and they never contacted me. But I received my item yesterday. Just shitty customer service I guess.

sixgears: All of the people who gave this seller feedback said the product fit great. So hopefully they weren't lying.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Racer

I would give it a few more days and if it doesn't arrive then contact E-bay and Paypal. I've had similar situations where seller never contacted, but always got the item.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:52 AM
3G TL

well according to the terms and conditions, tracking number should be provided, shipped in 12hrs of winning bid, and shipping takes 1-5 business days domestic. I won the bid on july 27th and have not received squat. Sent them mutiple emails and messages via ebay and received zero replies.
What a way to bid with confidence on ebay as this was my first purchase on ebay...ever!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Check out the tape when you get it. If it doesn't look like a good product, you might go to Home Depot and get some of the good Scotch double sided tape and put plenty of it on the spoiler so it will stay where it is supposed to.

There's some threads about spoilers that give the part number and description of this tape.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ron A
Check out the tape when you get it. If it doesn't look like a good product, you might go to Home Depot and get some of the good Scotch double sided tape and put plenty of it on the spoiler so it will stay where it is supposed to.

There's some threads about spoilers that give the part number and description of this tape.
Thanks man, just the kind of advice I am looking for. Is Scothc tape stronger than the 3M tape?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
3G TL

u can get a 10ft(?) roll of 3m industrial strength double sided tape for 14$. I would imagine that is the strongest double sided tape available to consumers.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 AM
TLove

Originally Posted by Datchineseguy
Thanks man, just the kind of advice I am looking for. Is Scothc tape stronger than the 3M tape?

get the 3M double sided tape that black/gray and has a red peel-away
as opposed to the yellow tape w/the green peel-away, which is not as strong.

i have used both before on my other car's lip kit, both strong, although the black/red is stronger.
yellow/green easier to work with b/c its more rigid
black/red is harder to work with b/c its rubbery and very sticky. (think about a mix between a rubber band and chewing gum, especially on a hot day)

make sure the surface is CLEAN! and be sure to put pressure on the spoiler after you put it on.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Cruisin'

Awesome, thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
|AM.UA6|

I bought mine from Ebay, but do not remember the seller's name. The spoiler came with 3M tape and so far it is still holding up. One recommendation is to use rubbing alcohol to clean the applied area completely from waxes, dirt, etc. before installing the lip spoiler.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
I also got mine from ebay about a month now came wt 3M tape and color match perfect (WDP), no issue with it...the key is surface prep like the others mentioned. I used some dawn to wipe the marked area, then clean several times with alcohol., then apply.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Cruisin'

Awesome, I'm excited as I love the way the lip spoiler looks!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Mofo

pics?
Old 08-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

I purchased my spoiler from them as well. When I was shopping for one, it basically came down to price and seller feedback. That seller was awesome. Perfect paint match, fast shipping, 3M tape.

I was going to start a thread on ebay "lip spoilers", but never got around to it. I know everyone talks about trimking1 and his quality, but I noticed a similarity between all the lip spoilers on ebay.

1. All come complete with "3M tape"
2. All have "3" coats of paint.
3. All have "2" coats of clearcoat.

If you guys receive your spoliers from ebay and they say "acura TL" on the bottom of the spoiler in raised letters and your box has the "Made in Malaysia" writing on the sides, chances are we are all being sold the same product just at different prices.

Can you guys tell me what is the best way to install this spoiler so I won't get the gap issue? I want to do this one time and be done.

Thanks guys!

Here's the auction: I paid $115.00 for the lip.

Lip spoiler auction
Old 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Dastchinese looks like you got a replica, I want to know how close it looks to OEM. Hopefully exactly. At that price it is totally worth it!

Ityper it looks like you bought the M3 replica generic one, I doubt it looks OEM at all. OEM type is a bit fatter looking and looks 1000x better.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:25 PM
3G TL

so the spoiler for 115 is oem style and uses 3m tape (no drilling)?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

so the spoiler for 115 is oem style and uses 3m tape (no drilling)?
Yes that is correct.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Advanced

i ordered a spoiler from ebay last week and installed it over the weekend. i paid $115 as well, so i think it was from the same guy that Datchineseguy got it from. here's what i noticed.

1. the paint color matched almost perfectly. only the pickest of persons will notice the slight difference (probably due to newer paint).
2. if you look close, you'll notice that the reflection isn't as 'smooth' or clear as the car's surface, even after waxing it a few times.
3. i did have a few specs of dirt painted into the spoiler. you can tell they didn't paint it in a super clean room. again, hardly noticable.
4. my #1 complaint...the spoiler didn't fit perfectly to the trunk's curve. when i installed the spoiler, i had to 'flex' the spoiler slightly to get it to align perfectly with the trunk. the was a real pain cause you get one shot at putting it on correctly (i used blue painter's tape as guides). what i'm afraid most about the flex is that the tape won't hold after time since the spoiler wants to flex to it's normal curve. hopefully over time, the spoiler will settle and the tape will hold.

well, here are a few pics.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
King of NYC

Looks great to me. I think I'm going to go for it too. If the sticker is 3M it shouldn't unstick. If it comes off, I'd say buy some 3M double-sided tape from Home Depot and restick it. I think over time/heat the spoiler will mold itself to the trunk's contour and you shouldn't have a problem. Even if you have to buy a new spoiler one day because of some problem, you're still coming out cheaper than OEM. How long did he take to ship out to you btw? I'm hoping to get it before I move on the Sept 1st but since it needs to be painted I hope the seller isn't slow.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Actually, the installation is what caused your # 1 complaint. I had to re-position mine over and over before finally placing it down. If you look at the pictures, by bringing that spoiler back just a few cms on the right side (Pic # 4) and up a few on the left side (Pic # 3), the curves of the spoiler aligns perfectly with the curves of the trunk.

Originally Posted by socal16
i ordered a spoiler from ebay last week and installed it over the weekend. i paid $115 as well, so i think it was from the same guy that Datchineseguy got it from. here's what i noticed.

1. the paint color matched almost perfectly. only the pickest of persons will notice the slight difference (probably due to newer paint).
2. if you look close, you'll notice that the reflection isn't as 'smooth' or clear as the car's surface, even after waxing it a few times.
3. i did have a few specs of dirt painted into the spoiler. you can tell they didn't paint it in a super clean room. again, hardly noticable.
4. my #1 complaint...the spoiler didn't fit perfectly to the trunk's curve. when i installed the spoiler, i had to 'flex' the spoiler slightly to get it to align perfectly with the trunk. the was a real pain cause you get one shot at putting it on correctly (i used blue painter's tape as guides). what i'm afraid most about the flex is that the tape won't hold after time since the spoiler wants to flex to it's normal curve. hopefully over time, the spoiler will settle and the tape will hold.

well, here are a few pics.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Advanced

good eye acurafan1. i do realize that my positioning wasn't perfect (the right side is slightly higher than the left), but the curve of the spoiler was still not perfectly aligned with the trunk. i had 2 other friends try to position it correctly and it was still off. i wish i would have taken pictures of it. maybe i got a bad one? anyhow, i still love the way it looks. no one notices that it was slightly off either.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Advanced

rockyfeller...i ordered in on a sat, and it arrived on thursday. they were shipping from tx. i live in ca. he shipped it on tuesday.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
wow good install tho...I didnt even notice it until he mentioned that it was off by a couple cms...now the only thing that worries me are thieves. I had a spoiler on my 98 civic hatch before and even that was bolted down by a couple big screws and they just yanked it out and stole it. Those dam crackheads left 2 huge dents on my trunk!
Old 08-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Yes I agree, it still looks great!

Originally Posted by socal16
good eye acurafan1. i do realize that my positioning wasn't perfect (the right side is slightly higher than the left), but the curve of the spoiler was still not perfectly aligned with the trunk. i had 2 other friends try to position it correctly and it was still off. i wish i would have taken pictures of it. maybe i got a bad one? anyhow, i still love the way it looks. no one notices that it was slightly off either.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:07 PM
King of NYC

I like your license plate frame too Socal. I am looking for something similar made of heavy gauge steel not some paper thin aluminum one. How is the one you have. Is it quality, the type that won't start rusting in 3 months? Where and how much?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Advanced

look closely at one of my pics and you'll see rust around the corners where the screws are. i had caps for them that covered it up but they fell off. got it on ebay as well for $9 + shipping.

as the saying goes..."you get what you pay for"
Old 08-17-2006, 12:53 AM
3G TL

Thumbs down Stay Away From Delsa-motorsports On Ebay

well i got the spoiler and installed it. I purchased the same as poster, from "thespoilerstore" on ebay for $115 shipped. the paint matched pretty good, and the quality is outstanding. I added an additional strip of 3m double sided tape in the middle and seems it'll stay on for quite some time.

And regarding the spoiler i ordered from DELSA-MOTERSPORTS on ebay, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. VERY SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICE. ONLY RESPONDED TO MY INQUIRES 2 WEEKS LATER WHEN I FILED A DISPUTE WITH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY. reason: server issues.. but the very next day after my dispute filed, it miraclously resolved and was able to contact me via email. WOW what a coincidence. But the best part was that company leaving ME A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK for the negative feedback i left them.
No tracking number proof was provided even after i gave them a chance to show me the item was shipped but to the wrong address. I will never do business with them, nor would i recommend anyone else to. horrible business practice.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:16 AM
King of NYC

File a complaint through PayPal if their account is still alive. Your feedback can be repaired too.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

Hey guys, not to bring a old topic up... but just a note. I received my 1ST WDP spoiler from "thespoilerstore" and it had a chip in the rear underside. At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. But after test fitting it I saw that you would see a dark line on the bottom. I contacted the store and they sent me another one after asking me to send them pics of the damaged/poorly molded section.

I received the new one 2 days later and it's in decent shape. Still not perfect on the bottom, but not enough to make me bitch again. Point of my post... they didn't ask me to send the old spoiler back....what should I do with it?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 PM
King of NYC

Sell it for cheap on the boards, what else? It's thespoilerstore's loss. Be upfront on the condition of the spoiler, someone will snap it up.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, not to bring a old topic up... but just a note. I received my 1ST WDP spoiler from "thespoilerstore" and it had a chip in the rear underside. At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. But after test fitting it I saw that you would see a dark line on the bottom. I contacted the store and they sent me another one after asking me to send them pics of the damaged/poorly molded section.

I received the new one 2 days later and it's in decent shape. Still not perfect on the bottom, but not enough to make me bitch again. Point of my post... they didn't ask me to send the old spoiler back....what should I do with it?
Wow! then you can keep it as a spare, you'll never know when you'll need it?!
Btw, what do you mean by "a dark line on the bottom"? Does it have a fitment problem?! I'm gettign one for my '06 ASM
Old 08-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

thespoilerstore on ebay doesnt seem to have ASM available
Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

You HAVE to call them back and ASK them if they want it back. There should be no dilema in honesty. If they say "keep it", I would ask them to send me an email to that effect so that should they try to bill you for two you have their guidance.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 PM
RIP 06 TL

I just ordered lip spoiler yesterday from trimking on ebay....it was a little higher than 115, but everyone on here had good things to say about that seller... Hopefully everything turns out okay!