Sponsored by:

Just me? Or are dealers retarded?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just me? Or are dealers retarded?

I know, rhetorical question...

Ok, so I'm on the hunt for a TL-S. I've sent out 3 emails so far tonight. Im asking pretty simple questions like "Do you have an 07 TL-S 6MT? If not, can you get me one?" I'm looking to lease so I ask "What would be your price on the car? Im looking for a 36mo/10K mile term, send me the money factor your using, residual value and monthly payment including tax."

Seem simple enough, right? So far, I've received emails back asking me when can I stop in, whats my phone number, pretty much everything BUT answering the questions I've asked. It like its their first time negotiating over email.

So what's the deal? Has anyone else run into this? Most threads I've read, people seem to do pretty well over email.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They will try everything they can to get you to come into their dealership. I think that is pretty standard practice. You have to play hard and say you are busy and dont have time, if they can do a specific deal then you will go down there to sign the papers and pick up your car. I'm sure others will chime in as well with their experiences. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Also when they give you a quote, they usually put a deadline saying "This quote is only effective until Thursday" or something similar. Ignore these. Tell them you're out of town or something and picking it up Saturday. This way, you can still go around other dealerships and haggle and see if other dealerships can beat that price.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

What they said. Just keep at it.

I tell 'em "I have neither the time nor interest to sit in a dealership negotiating. If you can provide the best deal, I'll be more than happy to come in and we can write it up."

Also tell them what your purchase time frame is. They like to know you are not just window shopping.

Make sure all quotes assume AHFC "Super Preferred" Credit Tier.

If you can search inventory on-line (or stop by the lot on the qt), do so and ask them to quote a specific stock number.

Finally, broaden your search range. 100 - 150 miles is my search area, and I'd go larger if necessay. I've done this twice (both TL-S's) and have saved ~$7,000 over the lease terms (total for both cars). I'll drive a long way for a few thousand dollars.

BTW - you don't *really* need the money factor. If you have selling price, fees, residual, and payment, you can back into the "Charges in Addition to Depreciation" aka Interest. From that you can back into the money factor. FWIW.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Just dial 1911

Its pretty annoying because I contacted my local dealer first, asked him the questions, but twice now he's asked me to come down. I probably will anyway since I drive by there everyday to work, but I wont be talking to this fucktard...Though he did give me a quote of invoice, but it said "cash only price". Was that what I was asking for, bro??
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Just dial 1911

Finally! I got a response from my local dealer:

Without seeing your trade and with the information that you have given me your monthly payment will be as follows:
36 Month
10,000 miles per year
$2,500.00 drive off or money down
.00247 money factor
60% residual
$35,787.00 selling price of the vehicle on a 2008 Acura TL Type-S Manual Black/Ebony Silver interior
MSRP $38,225.00

I now have the vehicle that I will be holding for you. It was very hard to acquire. Please give me a call when you can so that I can plan a day that you will come down at your convenience.
Payment comes to $459.47 including tax. Looks like he's selling the 08 at invoice? Havent looked up what that is. The $2500 was something that I threw out there, hindsight, probably shouldnt have.

So where do you guys think I have some wiggle room? Of course, I'm not going to take his first offer.

"It was very hard to acquire" Ok dude...I suppose I'm taking money out of your baby's mouth as well.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Acuras Only in

At least the selling price of 08 model is very decent .... should have waited half a year myself ... hmmmm... maybe not
Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Why would he "acquire" and "hold" a vehicle before he had a deal? What a moron.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Seem simple enough, right? So far, I've received emails back asking me when can I stop in, whats my phone number, pretty much everything BUT answering the questions I've asked. It like its their first time negotiating over email.
Are these the internet sales reps??!
If yes, they ought to know better. If not, try e-mailing the "internet sales manager" at these dealerships.

When I was looking for cars, I went through the Costco program, which had the dealer reps submit e-mails to me with the pricing and any options.

One Infiniti dealership e-mailed general info to call, and gave me a straight quote for a G35 sedan over the phone when I called.
Santa Monica Acura e-mailed a straight quote on a TL with no time limitation, IIRC.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Most will give you quotes, which aren't that great usually. Others will tell you to come in, because like others said, their goal is to get you into their dealership. Be patient and look around, you should be able to find a great price. $35,787 isn't too bad for 08 Type-S. I paid $36,695 back in November for my 07. I'm pretty sure you can find a better price. You could always talk to other reps at the dealership. I first went to my local dealership and talked to someone that wouldn't budge under MSRP. I went back a few days later and talked to the internet sales manager and he gave me the price I bought my car for.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 AM
2006 TL

I got my '06 through internet sales @ Fountain Acura (Orlando) and they answered all my questions the 1st time. The only trip I made to the dealership was to pick up the car and sign papers. They were great. I wouldn't let some e-mail pressure me into visiting the dealer if I didn't want to. I'd also let them know that I am doing business over the computer FOR A REASON... I am too busy to talk on the phone, stop by, etc... and if they still persist on inviting you in, change dealers.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Why would he "acquire" and "hold" a vehicle before he had a deal? What a moron.
I agree. He does have the TL-S that I want, NHB 6MT. So its real tempting to just deal with him. I'll see if I can get him to drop the price some more.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I had experience this tacted last week when I was looking for the best price for my TLS... I had to tell one dealer, "look, give me a OTD price. I'm not coming way over there if you can't give me a OTD price because I already have some bids. Here is the bid, if you can't beat it, then it's no need to have this discussion". He was real upset cause I knew what I was doing and wasn't playing the "come into the dealer" game.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I had the same problem. Talk about frustrating. Just let them know that you will not be 'coming in' to the dealership until you've made a decision and would they please provide the information you requested so they can be included in the list of possible locations you'll be choosing from.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

alright dude, here is the deal. i worked ( that is right, past tense) at a honda dealership for two years. it was a great experience. but as far as pricing. unless there is any sort of dealercash ( extra money from the factory) then invoice is the best you will probably get. with hondas there is a certain amount of holdback, or money received from the factory. it isn't much, and that is why invoice is invoice. that is the true price dealers pay for the car. and seeing as it costs I believe about 2.5 million in assets to accquire a dealership, letting them make the holdback isnt a bad thing. they are a business. and an '08 at invoice..... that's sick.... go get it TODAY!!! because those cars are hard to get, and is another dollar a month worth not having thr exact car you want?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Instructor

I wish honda would give us the option of going to the factory and buying the car there for like $750-1000 over invoice or something like that.....
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by trojanhorse
alright dude, here is the deal. i worked ( that is right, past tense) at a honda dealership for two years. it was a great experience. but as far as pricing. unless there is any sort of dealercash ( extra money from the factory) then invoice is the best you will probably get. with hondas there is a certain amount of holdback, or money received from the factory. it isn't much, and that is why invoice is invoice. that is the true price dealers pay for the car. and seeing as it costs I believe about 2.5 million in assets to accquire a dealership, letting them make the holdback isnt a bad thing. they are a business. and an '08 at invoice..... that's sick.... go get it TODAY!!! because those cars are hard to get, and is another dollar a month worth not having thr exact car you want?
Spoken like a true salesman.

First of all, if you very FIRST offer is invoice you either A) think I'm a complete idiot or B) suck at selling things. If this guy dosent expect me to counter offer, through another dealers offer, then he shouldn't be selling cars.

Second, I have absolutely nothing vested and I'm in no rush to purchase so there isnt any pressure on me. I'm just looking for the best deal I can get.

And finally, I always tell them, if they dont make much money off me, dont worry, they will on the next sucker that walks through the door and pays msrp.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Dealers will make their money through used cars and the service department. There is hardly any profit in new cars, unless the customer is paying MSRP or a mark up on a hot model. I would never do either.

If you can cut into their hold back or get the car at invoice then you have found a great deal.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Dealers retarded???

1)think your a complete idiot?..... no don't have to think about it!

2)Nobody is pressuring you- they're ignoring you. After reading your posts I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with you either.

3) Your right- you don't have anything vested and will waste people's time.

4) they're not worried- you are the next sucker who "walked thru the door"!

5) You would steal a child's food off their plate

Just reading your posts and the language your using says volumes of you as a person!

Spoken like a true salesman.

First of all, if you very FIRST offer is invoice you either A) think I'm a complete idiot or B) suck at selling things. If this guy dosent expect me to counter offer, through another dealers offer, then he shouldn't be selling cars.

Second, I have absolutely nothing vested and I'm in no rush to purchase so there isnt any pressure on me. I'm just looking for the best deal I can get.

And finally, I always tell them, if they dont make much money off me, dont worry, they will on the next sucker that walks through the door and pays msrp.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Atl Acura Guy

2)Nobody is pressuring you- they're ignoring you. After reading your posts I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with you either.

Just reading your posts and the language your using says volumes of you as a person!
Well, I'm dealing with idiots...so when in Rome...So I guess you're a sales guy, figures.

Hey slappy, if you havent noticed, a lot of people here have had the same issues with unresponsive dealers. I'm sure there were quite a few that lost out on a sale because they cant seem to answer simple questions. Sure wasnt a waste of time to the guy that finally sold the car to them, now is it?

Yea, I guess were all suckers for buying cars from people like yourself. What a pathetic "profession".

You're pretty much alone here, buddy. Everyone here looks for the best deal possible. If you're going to get insulted every time you hear people bitching about shitty stealerships, you really think its worth it to hang around?

Edit: Forgot to quote "profession" above.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
You know some dealers dont screw around and quote you a good price out of the gate.

In my experience here, Invoice is good price for the car. If there is dealer cash on the car (there was about this time last year) you should be able to get it that much under invoice. Its its getting into fall and they're looking to unload last year's models you may get a couple hundred more off.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Um, send an email to one of them and make an offer. Tell them you need an answer by tomorrow because if they can't do it, you've got a reasonable offer from another dealer.

PS: This only works if you are serious and ready to pick up.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by geekybiker
You know some dealers dont screw around and quote you a good price out of the gate.

In my experience here, Invoice is good price for the car. If there is dealer cash on the car (there was about this time last year) you should be able to get it that much under invoice. Its its getting into fall and they're looking to unload last year's models you may get a couple hundred more off.
I sent out a bunch this morning and I got 2 that came back with the actual info I was asking for. A few were "when can you come in" a few were asking me more for more info.

I got 3 quotes for an 07 under invoice at $33,825, $33,150 and $33,138. Though the lease terms were a bit worse. .00300 money factor and 56% residual. That last number is a difference of $2649, and I really dont think an 08 is worth that difference, do you guys?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Atl Acura Guy

Looking at your previous posts, you seemed like a decent sales person; however, your (notice the correct use of this spelling) attacks here go a long way in disputing that opinion. You're (notice the correct spelling for this usage) the one who comes off looking like the idiot.

Also, considering I don't see an "official vendor" user title, I'm not so sure your previous offers for sales made on this forum would be condoned by the moderators and administrators.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Acuras Only in

Wow ... almost 2700 between the two model years? can't believe they push the 07s out like some kind of garbage ... LOL ... they need the lot for the new 08s I guess ... best time to bargain folks ....
Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I sent out a bunch this morning and I got 2 that came back with the actual info I was asking for. A few were "when can you come in" a few were asking me more for more info.

I got 3 quotes for an 07 under invoice at $33,825, $33,150 and $33,138. Though the lease terms were a bit worse. .00300 money factor and 56% residual. That last number is a difference of $2649, and I really dont think an 08 is worth that difference, do you guys?
It's a lease. You can figure your total cost up front. Just get the lowest total cost for the exact exact car you want. Do you really care which year it is?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Dealerships retarded??

Your stating the obvious, everyone looks for the best deal.

Yes many dealers lack in responsivness to e-mail inquires
I could give you advice on how to get quotes from almost every dealer in a timely manner that doesn't incorporate ANY of the tactics that is continually posted on forums, but you don't deserve it.

"People like yourself" doesn't pertain to me. I am professional- your work is what you make of it. Every client on this forum as well as others who have done business with me or have asked for my help will atest to this.

No I'm not insulted- just amused!

Yeah I think I'll hang around for a long time!

Well, I'm dealing with idiots...so when in Rome...So I guess you're a sales guy, figures.

Hey slappy, if you havent noticed, a lot of people here have had the same issues with unresponsive dealers. I'm sure there were quite a few that lost out on a sale because they cant seem to answer simple questions. Sure wasnt a waste of time to the guy that finally sold the car to them, now is it?

Yea, I guess were all suckers for buying cars from people like yourself. What a pathetic "profession".

You're pretty much alone here, buddy. Everyone here looks for the best deal possible. If you're going to get insulted every time you hear people bitching about shitty stealerships, you really think its worth it to hang around?

Edit: Forgot to quote "profession" above.