Sponsored by:

Just dropped my car off.....not happy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by levyfresh
THanks for your intelligent contribution to this thread
I thought his post contributed wonderfully to the humor of this thread.....

As for Papaman667, I too would not go back. I may also inform the dealership owner of his service "boys" superb contribution to service and sales....

But then again, Dealerships and I don't get along well most of the time. After the purchase, I avoid them like the plague. Most are just overpriced with disgruntled, underpaid, under-knowledged mechanics. Strictly warranty work is all they get from me. And even then I would rather have a root canal....

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's a good thing I got a loaner because my car wasn't finished until 2:00pm. As far as the subwoofer rattle they said it was change that I had in the side pocket of my drivers side door. Yeah ok, that sounds like a logical answer. How is the rear deck rattle caused by change. I didn't even say anything to the guy, just wanted my car back. As far as the squeek in the window, nothing to be done, couldn't be replicated
Old 08-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow.

I agree with Levifresh on this one, if you walked into my store and told me to my face I could go elsewhere and get the same service cheaper, I would tell you to go screw yourself cause 99% of people are gonna go to the other place anyways.

You seriously can't be so naive as to not realize dealers will charge you the most compared to independent shops for service.

And I don't see what there is to complain about considering you got a loaner. Like Mrsteve said, 99% won't give a loaner for an oil change. My dealer you have to schedule the appoitment 2 weeks in advance to get one, and it has to be at least 4 hrs of work.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Instructor

THanks for your intelligent contribution to this thread
You're welcome.

I recently went to a Honda dealer for oil change ($26) and got tire rotation done at Just Tires for $20.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Instructor

I like how everyone is saying that I was lucky to get a loaner car for an oil change. I also made them check my sub and power window squeeks. I dropped my car off at 8:45 am and got a call around 1:30/2pm. I sure as shit hope I wouldn't have to sit at the dealer for that long waiting for my car.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is that I've been spoiled by Infiniti service, Acura needs to take a lesson from them.

With that said Acura has been fine, just not above the bar like Infiniti.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I bought 2 TL's from Park Ave and they used to be known for the best service of any Acura dealership. But, they've sold too many cars and their service has slipped off a bit, but it's still pretty good.
I actually got my first oil change done for free. I was just clear with them from the get go that I did not want them to lay a hand on my car anywhere but the oil pan. I also got my car washed too for free by them

Who was at the counter in the front? The psycho lady? You just need to learn how to talk to people the right way.................
Old 08-09-2005, 10:46 PM
'05 TL NBP/Ebony Auto

lol @ "the psycho lady"
Old 08-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Advanced

good thing you don't own a bmw or mercedes they charge $125.00 an hour . acura$75-$85 an hour . how long do you think an oil change takes with a tire rotation and belt inspection ? yes they should have gave you more respect but on the other hand , open the mouth and insert foot . $10 dollar tire rotation come on bro,.... vote for pedro!!!! $5.00 oilchanges and tire rotations ! sold here ! we can do them in 2 minutes !!! get real ! OH YEA VOTE FOR PEDRO!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Yes You Should Get Good Service , $ 35000.00 Should Have Gave You A Free One ! $ 10.00 Tire Rotation ..... Vote For Pedro !!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Instructor

for 36 dollars, i could change my oil with mobil 1 and get mobil 1 filter.

for fwd, just jack up ur car and move the tires from the front to the back and the back to the front. you dont need to crisscross because i doubt ur alignment is soo messed up that you are getting retarded tire wear. if so, you could find places to do alignments for 35 bucks for the whole car and they have machines that use lasers.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro

First I said one part of my business is service...As in repair and maintenance...I agree that customer service is a huge part of business(I guess I have no idea being that our business has been here for over 36 years smart ass) but my point is that a custmer service rep or manager has a set schedule laid out for what he must receive in payment...You are entering his office and telling him that his prices are too high(and lets be serious...He would not have had that response if he wasnt subjected to a little bit of abuse on your part) He doesnt have control over those prices...I also agree that it would be nice to have a loaner car that matched your car but lets be serious, your getting an oil change...the money that this will bring in probably equates to the gas you'll use in the loaner... and bklynpanman your only getting one side of the story, I get to see both sides as a consumer and a retailer...believe me its not as one-sided as this appears to be.

It is irrelevent WHAT the service guy felt like... he is a SALES guy... and how much repeat SALES does he expect when he treats a customer like shit... NONE... that is MONEY he is throwing away... he should have said fine, we will do the oil change and let it go at that.

And it is perfectly fine to tell a SALESMAN that his price is to high... how many people on this board agreed to the sales price that the car saleman slid over??? I bet you $100 YOU did not, but questioned his price, did you not??

I agree with you about the whining on the loaner for an oil change... he got a car.. but remember he was having some warrenty service done also..
Old 08-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Formula 350 nailed it on that one. Excellent point.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Formula 350
It is irrelevent WHAT the service guy felt like... he is a SALES guy... and how much repeat SALES does he expect when he treats a customer like shit... NONE... that is MONEY he is throwing away... he should have said fine, we will do the oil change and let it go at that.

And it is perfectly fine to tell a SALESMAN that his price is to high... how many people on this board agreed to the sales price that the car saleman slid over??? I bet you $100 YOU did not, but questioned his price, did you not??

I agree with you about the whining on the loaner for an oil change... he got a car.. but remember he was having some warrenty service done also..
First, he is a service representative not a salesman(yes he is sellign service but he is not considered a salesman by company standards)...If you want to do negotiations(which is perfectly fine) on the price of a service you should talk to the person who sets the prices(usually the owner or general manager...) Thats besides the point because my original issue was that the argument wasnt as one-sided as he made it seem...if it was it was...Ill bet YOU $100 that we are only hearing half the story.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Let it go. This thread isn't about you, please stop yacking and hijacking this thread. Point is if you're in SALES, you're opted to take BS from customers, otherwise... get a different job.
This thread has hit a new low.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Advanced

IMHO, the bottom line is that unless the customer starts screaming at the service advisor, cussing him out, or beating him up, a remark along the lines of "why did you bring your car here" is completely out of line, whether you're servicing a Kia or a Lexus. If none of these rules is broken, "the customer is always right" still applies.

I understand that a service person may choose to be nicer and walk the extra mile for a pleasant customer while he may just barely do his job for a difficult customer. This is human nature, and that's fine, just cut the hostile attitude.

Making a remark about price is in no way disrespectful. If the service guy doesn't like it, he should suck it up. Like they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. You don't belong in the service business.

It's precisely because of this lax attitude that Acura service has become so mediocre (relatively speaking - I know there are some excellent service departments out there).
Old 08-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Racer

Maybe its just not the price that sends 99% of your business to the other store. If you are only getting 1% of the business you could perhaps something should change other then price. A buddy of mine has a 92 Camry that he takes to the dealer still. Infact last night I said to him you could probably get your oil leak fixed cheaper elsewhere. He said yeah I know but, love the service department and they have done excellent work on my car since it was new. So not everyone shops on price alone. He ended up buying a new car for his wife 2 weeks ago there and paid $200 more then the best offer at another dealership since he liked them better and the saleswoman was very nasty to him and his family.

But, $100+ for an oil change and tire rotation is just out of line. I probably wouldn't have said anything to the sales rep about it being cheaper elsewhere though. And for a $100+ service why can't they give a loaner? They are making a llot of money. Or why can't they do the service in an hour while you wait? One of the local Pontiac dealers does an oil change in less then an hour while you wait with no appointment on my mom's car. If GM can do this on a Bonneville why not Acura on a TL?

The local Valvoline place will rotate tires for $20. And I did my first (and only) rotation in my driveway on Thanksgiving for free.

But, that does not mean the sales rep needed to be a jerk about it either. Perhaps if enough people complained the dealership might consider lowering the price of the service and get more business. Perhaps not.

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Wow.

I agree with Levifresh on this one, if you walked into my store and told me to my face I could go elsewhere and get the same service cheaper, I would tell you to go screw yourself cause 99% of people are gonna go to the other place anyways.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro

First, he is a service representative not a salesman(yes he is sellign service but he is not considered a salesman by company standards)...If you want to do negotiations(which is perfectly fine) on the price of a service you should talk to the person who sets the prices(usually the owner or general manager...) Thats besides the point because my original issue was that the argument wasnt as one-sided as he made it seem...if it was it was...Ill bet YOU $100 that we are only hearing half the story.

Sorry levy, but he is a salesman... just like the guy in the blue or red jacket at Wal-Mart... he does not have the ability to change the prices, but he is a salesman..

Let me digress with a little lesson... there are three major divisions of work, Manufactor, Sales and "Corporate" (which is legal, accounting, HR etc.)... he is not doing 'corporate; work... he is not manufacturing anything. (that is the tech in the back that is doing the work), so.... SALES...

Another example... the car saleman (which you will agree is a saleman) can not sell you a car for a reduced price... he always has to check with his manager...

I agree that we only got one side of the story, but that is irrelevent. If the guy really said 'then why did you bring your car here' or something like that it is wrong.... like others have said, suck it up..
Old 08-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

We very well could be hearing only half of the story......

I don't care how many ways you put it, the service rep was simply out of line as to ask Papaman why did he bring his car in for service when he didn't agree with the prices. Instead the service rep should have tried to see if he could get approval from his manager to see if the the tires could be rotated that one time for $10. Papaman just spent $30+ grand on a vehicle and you're telling him that he's gotta hunt someone else down at the dealership to negotiate the price of a tire rotation all by himself? I guarantee you that salesman that sold him the car didn't tell him to go hunt the fleet/sales manager down to negotiate the price of the car when he bought it.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MOST OF ALL THE ACURA DEALERS SUCK! You all are expecting BMW/Cadillac service from dealer groups that in many many cases....are accustomed to dealing with Pontiac customers! True...most of em need to get a clue and get atuned to customer service. Yep.....some customers are completely unreasonable and some are completely right on track....doesnt mean you treat one differently. There are proven methods and ways to politely and factually deal with difficult customers to bring them around....
Old 08-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Papaman677
....He responded with, "well why did you bring your car here for service then?" I said because I bought it here....
Snap. That made me laugh.

ATTENTION ACURA MARKETING PUKES: WONDERING WHY ACURA IS NOT AN UPSCALE BRAND?

I love the TL. Its a great designed, good quality car. But the dealership experience is lacking.

Everyone says Acura is trying to compete with Lexus, MB, BMW etc. The design of the cars may be in the right league. (for the a-holes that say a TL is an upgraded Accord, remember a 911 is an upgraded Beetle[circa like, Hitler]). On the other hand the Acura dealership experience is about as premium as a Mercury is a premium over a Ford.

What is a premium dealership experience all about? SUCKING UP. Sure some customers can be assholes, but you can charge them double if they think you're their bitch. This is your bread and butter, swallow your pride. Like most things in life, if people feel good after seeing you, you can f*** them over and over again.

That service writer needs to be shot. Instead of making an asinine comment that would end up losing a customer, he should have said, "Dude, I hear your pain. I can't do anything about these prices. Its what Acura gives us. On the other hand, I see you didn't buy the 'Protection Package' when you bought your car. What say I knock off the price of the service from the Protection Package and we give you a brand new TL as a loaner while we install the package in your car? You need this for the harsh winter/summer/rain/ocean breeze and at the end of the day you can justify it since the price of your service would be thrown in" The customer ends up paying $800 bucks for a $36 oil change and the dealer is only out the cost of a wax job. A week later, the customer comes back to trade in his shiny TL for the RL.

When all is done, the zit encrusted asshole customer can drive home thinking he's a king, and you can go home to your 10,000 sqft mansion and wash your shame away in a threeway with 2 models.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Grandpa

Another example... the car saleman (which you will agree is a saleman) can not sell you a car for a reduced price... he always has to check with his manager...
... and everyone lived happily ever after.

The real deal is that the consumer is at a disadvantage when dealing with a car salesman. Salesmen negotiate the price of cars every day and you get to do it every couple of years. Who is better at price negotiation?

In business, compensation drives behavior. Sales guys operate on commission. The more you pay for a car, the more money in their pocket.

They will tell you they want to be your friend. My response always is, "Well my new friend, after work can you help me move a couch?"

Manager approval? Another name for it is 'Good cop - bad cop.' The sales guy you get to see is the good guy, the invisible manager is evil. Do you think after selling 15 cars this week, the sales guy has no idea how much the car will sell for? Is the guy the salesman is talking to really the manager, or is it his buddy comparing baseball stats? Do you even see him talk to anybody? The longer he has you in the store, the more worried you are supposed to get about the price you offered.

If the manager is the one who decides the price, who are you really negotiating with? The salesman/messenger or his manager? If you agree with me that you negotiate with the manager, what benefit does the salesman play in this loop? Translation from English into Farsi?

I always insist on going with the salesguy to see his manager and start the discussion with, "[insert dickhead's name here], is a really good salesman. He knows all the facts about the car and I like him because he's a good guy. I want to see him make his numbers this month, but he tells me you are the one who sets the price. What do we got to do to sell a car here?" and wave your checkbook (I used to wave $10 grand but the treasury rules have screwed up cash deals).

This tells the manager you've bought all the bullshit the salesman has told you, you are ready to buy and cuts the salesguy out of the negotiation loop. If the manager tries to throw you out of his office, I would say, "Look you're not my manager so don't order me around and price seems to be the only thing holding up the deal. Either my friend here has lied to me and can set prices or you are the only one holding up this sale."

The sales manager rarely sees a customer so negotiating skills are closer and you end up with a great deal on your new car. The sales guy will probably get fired. But what do you care? He wouldn't help you move your couch.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:51 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by TLOBLLC
... and everyone lived happily ever after.

The real deal is that the consumer is at a disadvantage when dealing with a car salesman. Salesmen negotiate the price of cars every day and you get to do it every couple of years. Who is better at price negotiation?

In business, compensation drives behavior. Sales guys operate on commission. The more you pay for a car, the more money in their pocket.

They will tell you they want to be your friend. My response always is, "Well my new friend, after work can you help me move a couch?"

Manager approval? Another name for it is 'Good cop - bad cop.' The sales guy you get to see is the good guy, the invisible manager is evil. Do you think after selling 15 cars this week, the sales guy has no idea how much the car will sell for? Is the guy the salesman is talking to really the manager, or is it his buddy comparing baseball stats? Do you even see him talk to anybody? The longer he has you in the store, the more worried you are supposed to get about the price you offered.

If the manager is the one who decides the price, who are you really negotiating with? The salesman/messenger or his manager? If you agree with me that you negotiate with the manager, what benefit does the salesman play in this loop? Translation from English into Farsi?

I always insist on going with the salesguy to see his manager and start the discussion with, "[insert dickhead's name here], is a really good salesman. He knows all the facts about the car and I like him because he's a good guy. I want to see him make his numbers this month, but he tells me you are the one who sets the price. What do we got to do to sell a car here?" and wave your checkbook (I used to wave $10 grand but the treasury rules have screwed up cash deals).

This tells the manager you've bought all the bullshit the salesman has told you, you are ready to buy and cuts the salesguy out of the negotiation loop. If the manager tries to throw you out of his office, I would say, "Look you're not my manager so don't order me around and price seems to be the only thing holding up the deal. Either my friend here has lied to me and can set prices or you are the only one holding up this sale."

The sales manager rarely sees a customer so negotiating skills are closer and you end up with a great deal on your new car. The sales guy will probably get fired. But what do you care? He wouldn't help you move your couch.

And I just gained that much more wizdom!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLOBLLC
Of the last three cars I have bought (including one for my mom), the sales manager has come to the salesmans desk to finish the sale... because I was always under the price that the sales guy go do....

But, these guys are BETTER than the sales guy every time I have met one...

When I was looking for my TL, I was in one dealership and got the sales manager.. at the end he offered me $500 off and trade-in etc... I balked and did not do it... his comment was 'I thought I had you on that last offer' as he could read customers very well.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:51 AM
In the bizarro world...

Go to Ramsey Acura, they are great there...I've had no complaints. There are four dealerships closer to my house, but I opt to hike over there.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Grandpa

Of the last three cars I have bought (including one for my mom), the sales manager has come to the salesmans desk to finish the sale... because I was always under the price that the sales guy go do....
This is a variation of... I gotta get the sales manager to approve. The sales guy has ground you down and now the 'manager' (or his buddy pretending) comes in to congratulate you on 'such a great deal.'

But, these guys are BETTER than the sales guy every time I have met one...

When I was looking for my TL, I was in one dealership and got the sales manager.. at the end he offered me $500 off and trade-in etc... I balked and did not do it... his comment was 'I thought I had you on that last offer' as he could read customers very well.
How is he better than a sales guy when he 'read' you wrong and was unable to make a sale? The object of negotiation is to get a deal done. Your side is to get the lowest price, his is to get the highest. No sale is bad negotiation.

The sales guy spends hours each deal grinding each customer on price. The sales manager has more to do (ie. review offers, be the boss, drink coffee) and is not used to spending a lot of time with each customer haggling. He wants to get you out of his office ASAP. This gives you the upper hand. Plus you can apply psychological pressure on him - ie. both the customer and the salesman are waiting on the manager to finish the deal. If he screws it up, he looks like an ass to all his employees. You have to make him feel the pressure.

This is just some friendly advice. You can leave it if you want. I hate seeing people get screwed by car dealers (just one step higher on the ethical food chain than lawyers). I just saw my wife's sister pay $24k for a year old Cavalier. Arghhh!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:18 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
First Service - $19.99 Total w/ Rotation

WOW....not to make you pissed Papa....but I just got back from my first oil change - with the little card my salesman gave me at closing that was for the first complimentary oil change (which covered oil filter and lube)-yea right...lube(lol) remember when cars used to take that stuff - maybe they are referring to spray door lubricant if needed? -> anyway......all I had to pay for was the tire rotation, which came to a grand total of $19.99 at Ed Martin Acura in Indianapolis. David Guzman was my service rep....highly recommend. Took good care of me. AND NO....I DIDNT GET A LOANER FOR MY OIL CHANGE. Crap....it only took about 1 hour - didnt come in expecting one either. Made apt. previous by one week and waited in waiting room. Free cokes and Starbucks,etc.- newpaper, tv....was all good. Maybe this dealership is starting to come around? (see how good service works>? if you read several of my pervious posts, I was railing to dealership and how bad they sucked!)

Basically consisted of this....

I got the oil and filter change....they offered a free hand car wash too (which I passed on as I never bring my car in dirty and these free washes ususally cause me more damage than good anyway - safer to do it myself and less hands on my car too - maybe this resulted in less work so lower price...dont know?) and they rotated my tires. While doing this they also did the standard check off sheet and told me the condition and specs on brake pads front and rear (which kind of suprised me...but was GREAT info to have) So in reality...all labor and cost involved for me was oil, filter, and tire rotation/visual check...ok---I did take a free coke too! I think your dealership may have been gouging you Papa.....! I did ask what it costs before I cranked out my coupon and it was quoted at $48.(although I had already passed on the "free" carwash....nothings free my friends!) I was pleasently suprised with the speed of things and the professionalism displayed at this dealership that I had prior problems with. Good start to winning my confidence back. Hopefully things will continue the same trend nationally. Although I will most likely change my own oil from here on out (unless somebody can give me a good reason why not>) and just go in there for the major problems.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:33 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Park Avenue was one of the dealers I went into while shopping winter before last. Biggest bunch of stuck up OLD fuddy duddys I've ever encountered. No offers of help even with salesmen standing around. And the one I did ask a question of had an attitude. I walked right out.........
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Papaman677
I literally just walked in the door from dropping off my car for my first A1 service. My car was delivered on June 7, 2005 and I now have 6200 miles on it. I brought my car to Park Ave Acura in Paramus, where I purchased it. I sat down w/the service rep and said I was here for an A1 service and that I also wanted them to check the sub woofer b/c I'm getting a rattle and my drivers side window squeaks when it goes up depending on the weather. When I went in to make my appointment last week they said the service was $36.95 so when I dropped it off today I questioned the price and the rep slid a piece of paper over saying the service was $101.00 give or take a few $$$ which included oil change, tire rotation, inspect hoses, belts, breaks, etc. etc. etc. Then I asked how much for just the oil change, and that was $36. I said well just give me the oil change b/c I can't justify paying $101 for an oil change and tire rotation. I told him I can get the tires rotated down the road for $10. He responded with, "well why did you bring your car here for service then?" I said because I bought it here. He also said that he wasn't supposed to give me a loaner w/just an oil change but he would do it for me this time. Then there is a TSX loaner sitting right there and I get a Suzuki Verona as a loaner. As I'm writing this I'm getting more and more pissed off on the way I was handled and I don't even have my car back yet!! I can guarantee that they are going to say they found no rattles in the sub and the window is fine. When I had my integra I use to go to Wayne Acura and was handled very well, figured I'd get the same service here, but I didn't!!! I spent $35K including taxes on a car and this is the way I'm handled?? Sorry, I'm just venting a little.

i am actually really surprised.....because park avenue acura has is top rated of all acura dealerships...they have a good rep.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
Customer service by definition is to make people happy. Number 1 .. you SHOULD at least have an Acura loaner, not some piece of shit. Like he said. You don't pay 35k to be handed a shitty loaner.. :angryfire
Costumer service is about treating you with respect and helping you with your needs. is not about making YOU HAPPY geez is not the freaking circus. People keep saying 35k here 35k there IS NOT A FREAKING FERRARI . Some people pay 100k for their cars and I bet they dont bitch as much a some of you do .
Old 08-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
wow, anotha bad acura dealership..........

my dealership is actually the best one we ever went to and when we bought the car we had 2 free oil changes
Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 PM
8th Gear

Well I guess it definitely pays to shop around for service when it comes to dealers too. I can't complain. I had free oil changes and tire rotations every 5,000 miles up to the first major service at 15K. I read the service schedule and except for changing the plugs, oil and filter I think everything else was check or inspect, I wasn't going to pay $500 for that so i did it myself.
However if I had decided to do all my service with my dealer they would have given me all my oil changes for free and loaners are always provided if you give them enough notice.
Also if you have your car serviced by them and trade it in to buy another they will give you $300 back, not much but it was the first time I had ever heard of an incentive like that.
Oh and I must say they always treated me great never had a problem. Greenwich, CT Acura. They want you to buy cars from them so I think they will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy and bring him back for their next Acura. They know I could go 10 miles up the road to Acura of Norwalk.
I always ask what the after sales sevice is. They have what they call TLC, Total Luxury Care, I assume that is a National program with Acura?? The Roadside Assistance plan ame with the car but I suppose they all do and I received my first year of XM radio free. That I think was an individual dealer promotion. I paid 36K out the door for my 2004 TL w/NAV