Sponsored by:

Jumpstarting Battery Question, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Jumpstarting Battery Question, please help

Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody can help me. So I was trying to jumpstart my cousin's '98 Lexus GS400 w/ my 06TL. So at first, the GS had no sound when I turned the key, but after I tried jumpstarting it, it started clicking...

Is it a dead battery? What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Racer

Sounds like a dead battery. Could be a bad starter/solenoid. Check the battery for an red/green indicator float. If it's green, try a voltmeter or hygrometer. Check the date to see if it's at the end of it's life. Are the lights normally bright? Do they dim a bit or A LOT when you try to crank it? If all those indicate good battery, it could be a bad starter/solenoid.

Personally, if the battery had been acting fine until now and the lights got left on or something, I'd put the cables on and let it charge for 5 or 10 minutes, turn off everything possible on the Lex and try starting it again (hiding/ducking in case of a battery explosion - no kidding).
Old 12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

haha, thanks johnny. i'll give it another go
Old 12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by realfresh
Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody can help me. So I was trying to jumpstart my cousin's '98 Lexus GS400 w/ my 06TL. So at first, the GS had no sound when I turned the key, but after I tried jumpstarting it, it started clicking...

Is it a dead battery? What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Clicking sound generally is a sign of inadequate cranking amps (dead battery). Check the battery terminals to make sure the connections are secure (believe me, it sounds silly but it happens). Next check the batteries condition using the methods johnnysquire mentioned.

If dead, get a boost from another car (using the proper method listed here ).

From that point I would drive to an auto parts store or vehicle service center where you can test your battery or charging system and purchase the necessary items if required.

Don't be fooled that the problem is gone when the car starts right up after driving for a while. a lot of times the battery will have a charge and it will lose it as time goes by; leaving you stranded yet again.

I can speak from experience as I tried running it as long as possible, and it got to the point where my battery had ZERO and I mean ZERO life left. The car would almost stall out when it went to idle.

Good luck with everything!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnnysquire

Personally, if the battery had been acting fine until now and the lights got left on or something, I'd put the cables on and let it charge for 5 or 10 minutes, turn off everything possible on the Lex and try starting it again (hiding/ducking in case of a battery explosion - no kidding).

This is no joke, I have had a battery explode while jump starting.
No, the cables were not reversed either..
As soon as the dead vehicles starter started to crank...Boom.
I would advise always lowering the hood a little to help dis-fuse any possible explosion that may occur.
Never stand next to an open engine compartment when attempting to jump start a vehicle!!