Sponsored by:

Japan Equivalents and Acura History

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Japan Equivalents and Acura History

Here are some very newbie and embarassing questions I have been pondering:

1. What is the heritage of the TL? I looked at some of the first gen photo gallery and it reminds me of my dad's old Camry. What was the original audience for the TL?

2. I know the 2nd gen TLs were INSPIRE in japan. Was it a honda inspire? What was the first gen TL then?

Where did the 3rd gen come from then?

3. the TSX is sold in japan as a honda accord euro, correct? Is the RSX something else in Japan?

4. where did the RL come from and who was it targeted at?

Japan seems to use the brands like toyota and honda, nissan etc rather than luxury labels like acura and lexus... do they have any of these branded cars or is that america/west only?

And anything else anyone else would like to point out about the history of Acura would be great. Just trying to understand where the TL came from and how it fits.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel

1. What is the heritage of the TL? I looked at some of the first gen photo gallery and it reminds me of my dad's old Camry. What was the original audience for the TL?

2. I know the 2nd gen TLs were INSPIRE in japan. Was it a honda inspire? What was the first gen TL then?

Where did the 3rd gen come from then?

3. the TSX is sold in japan as a honda accord euro, correct? Is the RSX something else in Japan?

4. where did the RL come from and who was it targeted at?

Japan seems to use the brands like toyota and honda, nissan etc rather than luxury labels like acura and lexus... do they have any of these branded cars or is that america/west only?
Second generation TL = Honda Inspire... same story with the first generation. The third generation TL is not available in Japan; our Honda Accord is the Honda Inspire in Japan now.

TSX is the Honda Accord in Japan and Europe. RSX is Integra.

RL is the Legend in Japan and it's targeted toward the older audience who is not in the $60k+ range like Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Acura brand is only sold in the U.S., Canada and Hong Kong. Anywhere else in the world, it's all Honda.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2.5L(5 cylinder) Acura Vigor inspired the first generation 2.5L(5 cylinder) TL. The vigor engine is also the same(G25A1 engine) as the first generation TL.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks very much for the replies. So this begs the question... in japan does Acura have the same, more, or less cool factor compared to honda? Do they have lexus and infiniti over there or same stories?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Second generation TL = Honda Inspire... same story with the first generation. The third generation TL is not available in Japan; our Honda Accord is the Honda Inspire in Japan now.

TSX is the Honda Accord in Japan and Europe. RSX is Integra.

RL is the Legend in Japan and it's targeted toward the older audience who is not in the $60k+ range like Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Acura brand is only sold in the U.S., Canada and Hong Kong. Anywhere else in the world, it's all Honda.
That's all I know about the history of the TL. Hope that helps.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i think the RSX still carry the Integra name in japan
EDIT: OOPS ^ didnt see that
Old 11-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Originally Posted by KADAW
i think the RSX still carry the Integra name in japan
EDIT: OOPS ^ didnt see that
Yup!!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hah juss tying to help..
Old 11-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

The big "A" emblem was marketed to only North America as luxury and higher end line. Europe and Asia ex. have always carried the "H" emblem.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:15 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Honda was the first Japanese Mfg to attempt to go up-market in N/A with the Acura brand. The original Legend and Integera were quite a success in the late 80's. Toyota and Nissan held back for a few years to see how Honda did. Lexus and Infinity did Acura one better by coming out with big V8's and kicked Acura's butt in sales. All three were targeting European cars in the search for more profits. Honda/Acura sat on their thumbs for a few years and decided that their main problem was the model names. Everyone knew what a Legend was but nobody heard of Acura. BMW and Mercedes used engine displacement and body series to name their cars so Acura did too.

The rest of the story picks up from the above post. A more interesting story is when Honda first started making cars in the late 1960's. At the time, Honda was a motorcycle company!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Instructor

lexus infiniti and acura only marketed for US, in japan there is no such thing as lexus infiniti and acura...
Old 11-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Instructor

Thanks very much for the replies. So this begs the question... in japan does Acura have the same, more, or less cool factor compared to honda? Do they have lexus and infiniti over there or same stories?
lexus infiniti and acura only marketed for US, in japan there is no such thing as lexus, infiniti and acura...more like toyota nissan and honda
Old 11-04-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
Honda was the first Japanese Mfg to attempt to go up-market in N/A with the Acura brand. The original Legend and Integera were quite a success in the late 80's. Toyota and Nissan held back for a few years to see how Honda did. Lexus and Infinity did Acura one better by coming out with big V8's and kicked Acura's butt in sales. All three were targeting European cars in the search for more profits. Honda/Acura sat on their thumbs for a few years and decided that their main problem was the model names. Everyone knew what a Legend was but nobody heard of Acura. BMW and Mercedes used engine displacement and body series to name their cars so Acura did too.

The rest of the story picks up from the above post. A more interesting story is when Honda first started making cars in the late 1960's. At the time, Honda was a motorcycle company!
good info. what else do you know?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:02 AM
Instructor

yeah man my dad told me the same story when. He first moved from taiwan to japan, he bought one of their first motocycles...
Old 11-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mar T
The 2.5L(5 cylinder) Acura Vigor inspired the first generation 2.5L(5 cylinder) TL. The vigor engine is also the same(G25A1 engine) as the first generation TL.
Don't mean to go off on a tangent, but Mar T, your avatar is so GAY and is bugging the $hit outta me. Spiderman deserves better. Get rid of it. Who agrees?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

From what I could find on the web, TL was developed for NA market, and major design work was done in US, between Honda design studio in CA and manufacturing facility in Ohio.
As far as the luxury brands go, I think Infiniti is NA only, Acura is NA and some small Asian countries with right side steering. I saw a single Acura Legend in Japan, probably it was reimported. Lexus is sold almost everywhere now, it was launched in Japan few months ago.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:16 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by invincible569
good info. what else do you know?
Honda is the youngest of the big three Japanese auto manufacturers as far as making cars. It was also the smallest of the three and might still be. It is one of the smaller independent major auto manufacturers worldwide.

Most sales were and still may be in N/A, they are bigger here than at home. At one time they were building some Accords (Wagon?) here in exporting them to Japan . At one point they set up a joint venture with Rover to get stronger in Europe. Rover took the Legend, renamed it the Sterling and almost ruined Honda over there. The car was also briefly sold here. I almost bought one (what the hell was I thinking?).

Honda/Acura has never had the money to go head/head against Toyota/Lexus and never will. I also don't think they seriously want to. The big challange is to remain independent and profitable in a worlwide industry that has to much capacity and to many players. They don't want to end up like Nissan or Mazda. They have always been a successful niche player that provides good performance and value for our dollars.

We bought our first Honda; a Civic CVCC Hatchback Semi-Automatic in 1978. That one cost $4200.00. That car outran my 1978 4-Spd Volkswagen Scirocco ($7500.00), held 4 full sized adults and stayed in our family for about 15 years, unlike the problem prone VW. Sorry you asked yet?

BTW The first Honda sold here was the S600 I think. It was kind of a clone of the Mini Cooper. Try to find one.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Originally Posted by hcekc
Don't mean to go off on a tangent, but Mar T, your avatar is so GAY and is bugging the $hit outta me. Spiderman deserves better. Get rid of it. Who agrees?
I think is funny as hell. I've seen gayer shit. IT'S STAYING BRO!!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Mar T
the first and second generation also had a SABER model.. that would be the 2.5 eninge if im not mistaken... the INSPIRE model would be the model with the 3.2 model...
Old 11-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

its funny because much of the stuff that comes stock on the japanese models we want on our models... such as clear bumper turn signals and door sills and spoilers...

we try to make our cars look as japanese as possible by putting their parts badges on our car... and they try to make their cars as american as they can by putting our stock parts on their car (amber turn signals)... too bad their can't be an int'l swap meet...
Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
the first and second generation also had a SABER model.. that would be the 2.5 eninge if im not mistaken... the INSPIRE model would be the model with the 3.2 model...
Im not 100% sure, but sounds about right. Does anyone here know?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:39 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

what I want is CMBS and ACC, LDW with auto correction as well as infra red on Japanese RL
Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

i would like their 3D Navi
Old 11-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Banned

The TL is originated from Japan, made by Honda. It is a decendent of the old Honda Inspire; a luxury brand of an accord. The 2G-TL was a redesigned of the 1st generation TL, also an "Inspire" made by Honda. However, the 3G-TL is only made in the North America.
yes, the 1st Gen TL was suppose to be a luxury brand of the Honda Accord as mentioned above .
Yes, the TSX is currently called Honda Accord in Japan. The RSX is the replacement of Acura Integra in the North America, but is also the accord coupe of Japan until the TSX came out.

4.where did the RL come from and who was it targeted at?
The RL is made only in the North America, a direct competition of the Infinit M class. There is no RL in asian countries, Japan included.
So this begs the question... in japan does Acura have the same, more, or less cool factor compared to honda? Do they have lexus and infiniti over there or same stories?
There is no "Acura" in Japan. It's only a North America brand, as America and Japan together created a luxury brand for Honda lovers. In Japan, and most of the European countries still carry the Honda or "H" badge. The History of Acura can be found in History of Acura Brand

After a decade of research and development, Acura launched the Legend-the first Japanese luxury brand to appear in the U.S. market. Since its arrival, it has offered the luxury car world a consistently appealing combination of precision, performance and comfort. A large part of the success of the Legend can be attributed to the fact that it set a new standard for luxury based on qualities that were rare in luxury cars of the day, such as precise handling, responsive power trains and excellent road manners. In this respect, Acura has had a significant effect on the way people think about luxury cars.

In addition to the Acura Legend sedan and coupe, were the Acura Integra sport coupes and sedans which featured attractive contours, high performance potential and outstanding engineering credentials at a competitive price. Its extensive technological innovations, crisp handling and everyday practicality made it the favorite of a generation of enthusiast drivers.

The exotic Acura NSX sport coupe created great fanfare, bringing a host of new technologies to the automotive world. Motor Trend called it the "best sports car ever built." The aluminum bodied, mid-engine supercar redefined the exotic sports car. Here was a two-seater with the performance potential of traditional European exotics but could also be driven every day in complete comfort and with utter reliability.

In 1987, the Acura Legend coupe won Motor Trend's prestigious Import Car of the Year trophy. The same year, the Integra took the laurels as one of Car & Driver's Ten Best, and the Acura Vigor sport sedan was introduced, bridging the gap between the sporty Integra and the luxurious Legend.

The groundbreaking Acura MDX sport-utility vehicle made its debut in 2000. Conceived and developed at a Honda R&D facility in Ohio, the Acura MDX is built in North America. The 253-hp V-6 engine and a custom-developed 4-wheel drive system make the MDX uniquely qualified to travel both the freeways and the back roads with equal confidence. Shortly after its introduction, the MDX won the prestigious Motor Trend "2001 Sport/Utility of the Year" award.

In 2001, the streamlined Acura RSX sports coupe was introduced. It was the first Acura to employ the i-VTEC?system, which delivers flexibility, efficiency and LEV-II (Low Emission Vehicle) rated emissions. The 155-hp RSX shared its debut with the even sportier RSX Type-S, which employs a more sophisticated i-VTEC system to help wrest 201 peak horsepower from the 2.0-liter LEV-II engine. The RSX Type-S arrived on the market with an exclusive short-throw 6-speed manual transmission.

Performance enthusiasts across the country were forced to reprioritize their fantasies with the April 2003 introduction of the 2004 Acura TSX sports sedan. The 200-hp TSX, available with Sequential SportShift?5-speed automatic or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission, was quickly recognized as a 4-door antidote to the compromises of settling down.

In October of 2003, an even higher form of performance arrived with the debut of the all-new 2004 TL. From its class-leading 258-horsepower, 3.2-liter engine to the bold, sleek lines of its redesigned exterior, the new TL redefines modern luxury. Inside, plush leather seats and an impressive list of technologies fill the instrument panel, including HandsFreeLink?with Bluetooth?wireless technology and the Acura/ELS?Premium 8-speaker Surround Sound System with DVD-Audio and DTS CD 6-disc Changer.

Now, the all-new 2006 RL is making history by redefining the luxury performance sedan. With a 290-horsepower, V-6, VTEC engine, it boasts the most powerful Acura engine to date. Its revolutionary Super Handling All-Wheel Drive?(SH-AWD? system is the world's most advanced all-wheel-drive platform, which makes maneuvering and cornering more stable and precise. And the all-new RL is North America's first and only automobile to feature a telematics system with real-time traffic that displays traffic updates 24 hours a day in select metropolitan areas.

Hope I answered some of your questions
Old 11-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by z06girl

The RL is made only in the North America, a direct competition of the Infinit M class. There is no RL in asian countries, Japan included.

There is no "Acura" in Japan. It's only a North America brand, as America and Japan together created a luxury brand for Honda lovers. In Japan, and most of the European countries still carry the Honda or "H" badge. The History of Acura can be found in History of Acura Brand
RL = Legend in Japan

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/legend/

Acura exists in the U.S., Canada, and Hong Kong.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
You've got some seriously bad info on the 1st gen TL

Its not an Accord, nor Accord based. The body, engine layout and suspension are RADICALLY different.

It has either the 5 cylinder Vigor motor or the Legend 6 cylinder. The 3.2's transmission is shared with the 1st generation RL.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
RL = Legend in Japan

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/legend/

Acura exists in the U.S., Canada, and Hong Kong.
And Mexico as well.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Racer

The groundbreaking Acura MDX sport-utility vehicle made its debut in 2000. Conceived and developed at a Honda R&D facility in Ohio, the Acura MDX is built in North America. The 253-hp V-6 engine and a custom-developed 4-wheel drive system make the MDX uniquely qualified to travel both the freeways and the back roads with equal confidence. Shortly after its introduction, the MDX won the prestigious Motor Trend "2001 Sport/Utility of the Year" award.
Groudbreaking? LMAO. This suv was LATE to the game and really just a huge, uglier copy of the RX 300 which came out years before.

As for the TL
Acura (which still has no clue)made the I-5 only Vigor to fill the gap between the Intergra and Legend. This clueless company then realized they were the only asshats with Lincoln and Caddy that were luxury brands with names. But Lincoln and Caddy had history on their side. Acura didn't. Legend and Integra DEFINE Acura, even TO THIS DAY. You say "acura' and today, people think LEgend or rice or Intergra.

The Vigor failed, sold like crap, reviews were lackluster. They decided to change the name to TL and keep the silly I-5 and the V-6 from the Legend. The made the TL look like a longer, boxier ES 300 (refector headlights, pillarless windows, crease in rear, etc)
Here was another average Acura, solid like crap, reviews were lackluster.

Acura then had the bright idea, to make the car even cheaper and share parts with the Accord and build it in America to save money. They at least got 1 thing right, loading the car with features.

Thus the 2nd gen TL in 1999, which didn't win the press over but it was cheap and loaded, which agreed with buyers who wanted a luxury nameplate but didn't have to spend tons. It also had bland styling, which sold to consumers. The TYpe-S came whcih was hella fast. THen the tranny issues and quality issues blew up, as the car had poor quality control.

But Honda said who cares, the car is finally selling.
Acura, again, not having a clue, changed the whole front end in only 2/12 years of production, pissing off the 99-00 owners. Luxury car companies don't change ofter, but Acura does.

Then the 3rd gen TL comes, which again, looks nothing like the previous version, confusing buyers. Unlike any Acura sold before, this one had some style and is again loaded. Consumer responded, which is good for ACura.

THe 3rd gen TL is an AMeican car. Designed here, made here, ONLY for AMerica. It has done very well sales wise. The press likes it much better than any other TL but it hasn't come close to winnning any comparisons and now its overpowered the FWD layout.

SO its history is a confusing one but at least the car sells VERY well now.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

my my mr cynic
also... mdx is an uglier copy of the rx? LMAO
what a bunch of crap. it looks much better than the lexus egg. people always say honda is late to the game, but when they arrive, they arrive with a bang. the mdx was also so ugly that it sold very well. right?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
Groudbreaking? LMAO. This suv was LATE to the game and really just a huge, uglier copy of the RX 300 which came out years before.

As for the TL
Acura (which still has no clue)made the I-5 only Vigor to fill the gap between the Intergra and Legend. This clueless company then realized they were the only asshats with Lincoln and Caddy that were luxury brands with names. But Lincoln and Caddy had history on their side. Acura didn't. Legend and Integra DEFINE Acura, even TO THIS DAY. You say "acura' and today, people think LEgend or rice or Intergra.

The Vigor failed, sold like crap, reviews were lackluster. They decided to change the name to TL and keep the silly I-5 and the V-6 from the Legend. The made the TL look like a longer, boxier ES 300 (refector headlights, pillarless windows, crease in rear, etc)

Acura then had the bright idea, to make the car even cheaper and share parts with the Accord and build it in America to save money. They at least got 1 thing right, loading the car with features.

Thus the 2nd gen TL in 1999, which didn't win the press over but it was cheap and loaded, which agreed with buyers who wanted a luxury nameplate but didn't have to spend tons. It also had bland styling, which sold to consumers. The TYpe-S came whcih was hella fast. THen the tranny issues and quality issues blew up, as the car had poor quality control.

Acura, again, not having a clue, changed the whole front end in only 2/12 years of production, pissing off the 99-00 owners. Luxury car companies don't change ofter, but Acura does.

Then the 3rd gen TL comes, which again, looks nothing like the previous version, confusing buyers. Unlike any Acura sold before, this one had some style and is again loaded. Consumer responded, which is good for ACura.

THe 3rd gen TL is an AMeican car. Designed here, made here, ONLY for AMerica. It has done very well sales wise. The press likes it much better than any other TL but it hasn't come close to winnning any comparisons and now its overpowered the FWD layout.

You need to get your facts straight, buddy. The MDX was the only SUV that was able to match RX300 sales numbers. If the MDX wasn't ground breaking in it's class, I guess thats not saying much for the RX300 then. The RX300 is a Camry with a lift-kit. Please do not even say that Acura copied the RX300. The MDX is a bigger, more capable SUV than the RX300 ever was. I can't even believe that you would think that the MDX is ugly. Have you seen the front end on the RX300? Everytime I see one it reminds me of an ugly girl with a moustache.

As for the Vigor/TL, every car company has had a slow-selling model atleast once in their existence. Lexus screwed up with the ES250/Cressida. The first gen GS300 wasn't even heard of. The IS300 was a dissapointment. As far as TL looking like an ES300 back then, are you kidding me? If your gonna put it that way, then the Lexus copied the Accords reflector headlights.

Unless you represent the entire US population, don't pretend like you know what people think of when they hear Acura. Lexus has rice too, they just like to mask it by calling it VIP.

Besides for the headlight re-design on the 2nd gen TL, can you please tell me exactly how Acura changes their designs to fast? The 2nd generation Integra had the same basic design for it's entire production life. The RL was almost untouched until the 2nd generation came out. The RSX has barely had any changes, same with the TSX. The NSX, well, I don't even need to go there. MDX, almost unchanged. So tell me again what your trying to say here.

As for the 3rd generation TL not winning any accolades... One I can think of off the top of my head is "2005 Consumers Most Wanted." Or maybe getting first place in a comparison with the Volvo S60R. Or how about the 4th safest car in the United States (Acura RL is the safest car in the US).

Again, please enlighten me where it's needed.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Instructor

BTW, for anybody who didn't know... as obvious as it already is...

AcuraGT-3 = 1SICKLEX

Go back to your cave you troll! Do the guys at ClubLexus know what a psycho you are? You are so pathetic.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3

As for the TL

Isn't there a cock you have to suck somewhere??
Old 11-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Glad to see there are people who can defend what Honda/Acura have done without deviating from objectivity and levelheadedness.

In fact, if any car company out there has the right to be spoken of with the word "groundbreaking" in the same sentence, it's Honda/Acura. You only need to look no further back than 1990 to the launch of the NSX, in fact. Its use of (and this is just a very abbreviated list) an all-aluminum body and suspension, titanium connecting rods, and the now fabled variable valve timing technology that catapulted it to the very top of Formula 1 sent a very loud message to every boardroom stretching from Maranello to Stuttgart to Detroit. The fact that countless automakers have subsequently adopted the variable valve timing technology first popularized in the NSX speaks volumes of just how much Honda/Acura is revered and respected throughout the realm of automotive engineers. And bear in mind also that much of the applications originally found on the NSX have subsequently filtered down to other models in Honda/Acura's lineup, resulting in a uniquely sporting DNA for the entire marque.

Yes, there are companies that sell more cars than Honda/Acura, and yes, there are makes that have more prestige and desirability from a layman's point of view, but to the connoisseur, Honda/Acura occupies a very rarefied space in the hierarchy of automobiles, and justifiably so.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtecracer
BTW, for anybody who didn't know... as obvious as it already is...

AcuraGT-3 = 1SICKLEX

Go back to your cave you troll! Do the guys at ClubLexus know what a psycho you are? You are so pathetic.

Ha ha... AcuraGT-3 = 1SICKLEX =
Old 11-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
well, this thread began to deteriorate fast.

While it's VERY true that Acura established this upscale segment for Japanese automakers, Lexus totally ran off with it and NEVER looked back nor had to until recently (read: Infiniti's resurgence).

Acura has a storied history (mostly among Hondaphiles and assorted other auto enthusiasts) but, transitioning from the highly regarded 2G Legend to what was a pretty innocuous 1G RL was not the best thing for brand identity and recognition.

With the debut of VTEC in the JDM Integra and then a year later in the NSX, Acura definitely made it's mark in the automotive world. However, I believe Fiat was the first automaker to develop a VVTL motor.

And AcuraGT's (or 1Sicklex or whoever) comments about the MDX was only true in one regard: it was late to the SUV game. However, when it came, it came with a vengence. Acura's MDX almost makes me forget that there was ever an SLX.

But the pissing match with the MDX vs RX is silly guys. Both are awesome SUVs in their own rite. The MDX has more utility than the RX and the RX has more style IMHO (especially with the current 2G RX, which is HOT!!). For a nice road trip, I'd love to have the MDX but for getting around locally/regionally, the RX works perfectly.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
In fact, if any car company out there has the right to be spoken of with the word "groundbreaking" in the same sentence, it's Honda/Acura.
Amen to that, Brotha!

Toyota/Lexus has never in my recent memory introduced ANYTHING that has been groundbreaking. I'm not trying to bash here or anything, but I am seriously being honest. I can't think of ONE groundbreaking development that was introduced by Toyota. If I'm missing something major, someone please let me know. You would think with all the money Toyota has, they could atleast have ONE car that showcases their technology. With Acura and Honda though, it seems like with every new model introduced, they always introduce a piece of technology thats ground breaking for the entire industry and if not the industry, atleast the class of the car. The 3rd gen TL was even groundbreaking for petes sake. TL was the first car to offer standard 5.1 sound system, and I THINK first car to have bluetooth, period, let alone standard. Im not trying to start a different debate here, but it wasn't until AFTER the debut of the 3rd gen. Acura TL that I started seeing cars like BMW, MB, Infiniti, Audi and Lexus offering bluetooth technology. Sadly, it looks like even the Lexus LF-A isn't going to showcase anything groundbreaking either. The LF-A=the car that is supposed to showcase what Toyota/Lexus is all about. Sad.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:56 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by bo0sting2mch
lexus infiniti and acura only marketed for US, in japan there is no such thing as lexus, infiniti and acura...more like toyota nissan and honda
True in the past, but the times are a changin !
Toyota plans Lexus to be a global luxury brand and has opened dealerships in Japan to sell the Lexus brand. Just Google "Lexus Japan" for proof.

China is a growth market and the perfect place to grow new high end branding. Acura should do well there, as I've heard it has a foothold in HK.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by triggle
True in the past, but the times are a changin !
Toyota plans Lexus to be a global luxury brand and has opened dealerships in Japan to sell the Lexus brand. Just Google "Lexus Japan" for proof.

China is a growth market and the perfect place to grow new high end branding. Acura should do well there, as I've heard it has a foothold in HK.
Acura cars are not being sold in China at present, and Hondas are not exactly the most popular brand either. For sociopolitical reasons, Japanese products need to work harder to gain the same level of acceptance in China that products from other foreign countries do. Some of the best selling makes in China at present are Volkswagen, Audi, and (believe it or not) Buick, all of which have large production facilities in China. I can't see the Lexus brand doing well in China anytime soon, nor the Acura brand for that matter.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Acura cars are not being sold in China at present, and Hondas are not exactly the most popular brand either. For sociopolitical reasons, Japanese products need to work harder to gain the same level of acceptance in China that products from other foreign countries do. Some of the best selling makes in China at present are Volkswagen, Audi, and (believe it or not) Buick, all of which have large production facilities in China. I can't see the Lexus brand doing well in China anytime soon, nor the Acura brand for that matter.
VW's market share is dropping fast in China, but GM is doing quite well. That oughtta help plug some of that $6-billion annual loss.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtecracer
Amen to that, Brotha!

Toyota/Lexus has never in my recent memory introduced ANYTHING that has been groundbreaking. I'm not trying to bash here or anything, but I am seriously being honest. I can't think of ONE groundbreaking development that was introduced by Toyota. If I'm missing something major, someone please let me know....
Don't get me wrong, I am also Honda/Acura fan and agree most of your points, but did Toyota is the first company introduce hybrid car. The first gen of Prius had many problems but the 2nd is quite well. If I'm wrong, please correct. Anybody knows how Accord hybrid is doing?

Quick Reply: Japan Equivalents and Acura History