internet price quotes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004 | 02:42 PM
Cruisin'

internet price quotes?

anyone else have trouble getting the internet sales managers to actually give price quotes over email?

i've been in touch with a number of them, and they never seem to answer any of my questions (whether it be price related, or anything else). they just give me a few lines of BS and then say to call them or stop by, and say some cheesy tag line like "please let me know how i can earn your business".

here's a novel idea -- how bout answering the questions i ask you....

i'm sure dealers just hate internet price quotes just cause people can email 10 different dealers and go to the one with the best price, but still....if they offer internet communication, at least do it right.

and if they do quote something, they give the MSRP, and that's BS too, cause i know others aren't paying it, and i know i'm not paying it.

anyway, that's my rant for the day, sorry to complain on my first post here....i do have nice posts over at acura-tsx.com, i promise :clown:
Old 04-08-2004 | 02:46 PM
Racer

I've called two in my area - neither would provide a quote over the phone.
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:04 PM
Racer

Not at all. In Philly area and got quotes from 5 local dealerships all through email
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:18 PM
Racer

yeah, pretty much crap. they don't want you price shopping, i had to actually go in to the dealers. what does help is if you call and say X dealership offered this price, can you match.
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:23 PM
Intermediate

no trouble with Napleton Acura in Elmhurst,IL. Answered my request in 24 hours.
Shot me a good price on a WDP,Parchment,auto.
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:40 PM
Instructor

No trouble in Northern California.....

but then again demand for Nav cars here are so high that most only give me MSRP and won't budge on lowering that price. :chainsaw:
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moodie
but then again demand for Nav cars here are so high that most only give me MSRP and won't budge on lowering that price. :chainsaw:
The dealers in Nor Cal gave price quotes over the phone. I didn't specifically ask for quotes for non-navi but I believe the going rate is $1000 off, although Stevens Creek was offering $1500 off non-navi for internet sales last weekend.

As far as nav, most dealers were offering $500. If they quote you with sticker, just say that other dealers are offering $500 and they will be quick to say they will match it. With that said, I'm sure if you negotiate well, you can get it lower than $500 off.
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Brucer

nav or non nav? what'd they give you?
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks Narco...

Originally Posted by narco
The dealers in Nor Cal gave price quotes over the phone. I didn't specifically ask for quotes for non-navi but I believe the going rate is $1000 off, although Stevens Creek was offering $1500 off non-navi for internet sales last weekend.

As far as nav, most dealers were offering $500. If they quote you with sticker, just say that other dealers are offering $500 and they will be quick to say they will match it. With that said, I'm sure if you negotiate well, you can get it lower than $500 off.
I did get more than $500 off MSRP for my Nav car. What I am saying is they refuse to quote much lower through the internet while I was shopping....
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:10 PM
Banned

Every dealer I requested an Internet quote sent me one. But no one would answer any questions beyond that.
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:19 PM
Racer

I requested price quotes over the internet from 4 Acura dealers. Never heard from one of them and the other 3 replied, but did not quote a price. Sent a request to one Lexus dealer and received a price quote by email.
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:21 PM
Instructor

I would use the internet as leverage in making a good deal; don't expect to automatically get the best deal. First, go to your local dealer and do a quick negotiation--don't spend hours haggling. AFter they make their first (high) offer, say thanks, put it in writing. Then, tell them you will take their offer to the internet. My guess, the local dealer will be more likely to a) get closer to your price quickly, and b) not haggle, especially if you tell them you don't have the time. Then, take the price the local dealer gives you to the internet, unless it is really good. In that case, sign the deal right at the dealership.

Of course, dealers are going to quote MSRP over the internet. After all, you might pay it. My recommendation on the internet: tell them a price you want them to beat (either given to you at a local dealer or your bottom line, less a few hundred bucks.) My guess, based on reading this forum, is that if you go to any dealer with a fair price--say 2% or 3% over MSRP offer, which you state is based on "extensive internet research on a couple of TL forums"--that someone will accept.

All that said, if you really cannot stomach paying anything over invoice, the dealing could be rough, especially if you are looking for a manual transmission and/or Navigation system (and/or high demand/low supply color combos.)

I let my local dealer that I had been shopping the internet and reading the forums. We negotiated 3% over MSRP at the end of March (for a 6mt, non-navi, nbp, parchment car) over the phone in 30 minutes at the end of March. Could I have negotiated a better deal--probably. But the extra time it would have taken to earn that deal, plus the hassle-free easy negotiation, was worth the $500 I might have saved. This happened only because they knew that I was an informed consumer who was prepared to shop the internet.
Old 04-08-2004 | 06:04 PM
Smiling Papa Team NBP

Originally Posted by Tristero
My recommendation on the internet: tell them a price you want them to beat (either given to you at a local dealer or your bottom line, less a few hundred bucks.) My guess, based on reading this forum, is that if you go to any dealer with a fair price--say 2% or 3% over MSRP offer, which you state is based on "extensive internet research on a couple of TL forums"--that someone will accept.
I did this. Found the lowest price anyone paid here or on the Edmunds TownHall forum, and emailed that price to 15 dealers, telling them I would buy at this price. It was a good price, in my opinion, at the time ($33,695 for 6MT/Navi). Only three had the care, only one would sell at that price. Three others would sell at that price ordering the car.

The next day, I drove to the dealer (150 miles away) and picked up my baby, no problem (Park Acura in Akron, Ohio).

I see people who waited and waited. Screw that. My local dealer said he would do that price, but it would take two months to get the car.

Again, screw that, I had it the next day.

So...why are people waiting?

Anyway, internet shopping does work.
Old 04-08-2004 | 06:17 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

<-- Check my title out.. Sales people work on commission.. We don’t want to give you buttheads prices so that you can shop up against everyone in the state. If we can get you to come in and make an "emotional" purchase on the spot we can actually make a few dollars. I swear... I’m gonna find out what you all do and come in a waist your time and not do anything that will make you money.. Fockers! :thefinger
Old 04-08-2004 | 06:23 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

And for you fockers that like to haggle.. Take that shit to the Ford dealership! Your buying a Acura.. Not a piece of crap that won’t be worth more than your wheels and tires in 3 yrs. I swear I’m gonna slap the next red dot that come in here asking for a good deal :diablotin
Old 04-08-2004 | 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Meathead, non-navi, 31,195 plus tax and title.
McGrath Acura in Morton Grove,IL matched the deal so I bought there(closer to my house).
Old 04-08-2004 | 08:12 PM
270: Dats a lot o' horses

Originally Posted by Brucer
That's where I got my TL from too. Dealt with Ali. Got a price over the phone after emailing a price request. I got $33,700 for my Navi in Feb.
Old 04-08-2004 | 08:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
And for you fockers that like to haggle.. Take that shit to the Ford dealership! Your buying a Acura.. Not a piece of crap that won’t be worth more than your wheels and tires in 3 yrs. I swear I’m gonna slap the next red dot that come in here asking for a good deal :diablotin
:lol1:

Just give 'em invoice and they won't mind the slap at all.
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:02 PM
Banned

Comptech, by red dot, im guessing you mean "indian" people?
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:34 PM
Advanced

Hey Comptech Type-S

I notice you don't list where your from. Do us all a favor, including yourself, and list your dealership. That way only the less informed come into your dealership, and you can freely screw them, without wasting an informed buyers time.

Jake
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:39 PM
Team Antracite Member

It is the only way to shop. I called 3 in my area and got prices over the phone. I said "give your best price, I've called two other dealers and I'm ready to buy" Got my 2004/Abyss Blue/Camel/Nav and free custom rubber mats for $399/month 48/month smart buy, $3000 down. Buy out is $16,700.

Abyss Blue Pearl/Camel/Navigation
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:46 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Almost Jake you were almost funny .. Most people go to work to make a living. Just because I work for an Acura dealer in Austin TX doesn’t mean I don’t have a need to make a decent living. I’m not trying to screw anyone out of anything.. Acura makes one of the best cars on the market at a very reasonable price. If you bought a Lexus or BMW you would definitely pay more.
And in case any of you didnt know..
I WAS JOKING!!
I give most of my customer a quote of 3% over invoice, TL's are 5% over. If you need a new car PM me.

Peace!
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Cool Another graduate of putz school

I didn't put the salesmen on commission. You did.
I didn't put Acura dealerships in every little town. They did.
I didn't put the deceptive, lying ads in the paper. You did.
I didn't invent "dealer fees" to jam buyers after an agreed price. You did.
I didn't hold a gun to your head to accept the deal. You agreed to it.
I DID choose to remain in a free market, competitive economy. So did you.

You're just pissed that buyers are wise to all your devices and scams to pick their pockets. If the deal isn't profitable, why does the dealer have a yacht and why do you have the big house? If you don't like the money offered- take a pass.

My brother-in-law sells cars because, he says, he's too lazy to work and too nervous to steal. :smokin:
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:59 PM
Team Antracite Member

We hear you. Honestly I would have paid $500 a month for this car. But it's cool, now I can give my wife the extra $100 to get her hair and nails done once a month.
Hey she has to have some fun too.
Old 04-09-2004 | 12:54 AM
Cruisin'

<-- Check my title out.. Sales people work on commission.. We don’t want to give you buttheads prices so that you can shop up against everyone in the state. If we can get you to come in and make an "emotional" purchase on the spot we can actually make a few dollars. I swear... I’m gonna find out what you all do and come in a waist your time and not do anything that will make you money.. Fockers! :thefinger
i believe i made it perfectly clear in my original post that i'm sure car dealers absolutely hate the internet, and the availability of these forums that enable me to know exactly what i should be paying for a car.

however, the issue i had is that fact that these cheeseball dealers are continually asking me "what it will take to earn my business" and yet they dont show me the courtesy of answering the questions that i ask them.

i wouldn't get away with that shit with my clients, and guess what, i'm not making commission on anything i do for a living. if these clowns want me to spend $31+ at their dealership, i expect service, and if i dont get it, i walk. they're loss, not mine....i really dont care who i buy a car from.