Interesting read....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008 | 11:31 AM
Instructor

Interesting read....

I was just surfing the interent when I ran across a interesting list that Yahoo put out. The list is for the best and worst used cars dealing from 98 to current 08 year make and models. Check how every make and model of acura and honda made the list pretty much.

Doesnt this make you happy that you own one of the top five? I own three cars in the best of the best.

Best of the best

These are models that have performed well in CR road tests over the years, and have proved to have several or more years of better-than-average reliability. Listed alphabetically.

Acura Integra
Acura MDX
Acura RL
Acura RSX
Acura TL
Acura TSX
BMW M3
Buick LaCrosse
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Honda Civic Hybrid
Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Honda Odyssey
Honda Pilot
Honda S2000
Infiniti FX
Infiniti G20
Infiniti G35
Infiniti I30, I35
Infiniti QX4
Lexus ES
Lexus ES
Lexus GS (RWD)
Lexus GX
Lexus IS
Lexus LS
Lexus RX
Lexus SC
Lincoln Continental
Lincoln Town Car
Mazda Millenia
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mazda Protegé
Mazda3
Mitsubishi Endeavor
Mitsubishi Outlander
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Murano
Pontiac Vibe
Porsche 911 (except '03)
Scion tC
Scion xB
Subaru Baja
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza
Subaru Legacy
Subaru Outback
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry (except '07 V6)
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra (except '07 V8 4WD)
Volvo S60

Worst of the worst

These models have multiple years of much worse than Used Car Verdicts in the 1998 to 2007 models. Listed alphabetically.

Buick Rendezvous (AWD)
Buick Terraza
Chevrolet Astro
Chevrolet Blazer
Chevrolet Colorado (4WD)
Chevrolet S-10 Pickup (4WD)
Chevrolet Uplander
Chevrolet Venture
Chrysler Town & Country (AWD)
Dodge Grand Caravan (AWD)
GMC Canyon (4WD)
GMC Jimmy
GMC S-15 Sonoma (4WD)
GMC Safari
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kia Sedona
Land Rover Discovery, LR3
Lincoln Aviator
Mercedes-Benz SL
Nissan Armada (4WD)
Nissan Titan (4WD)
Oldsmobile Bravada
Oldsmobile Silhouette
Pontiac Aztek
Pontiac G6
Pontiac Montana, Trans Sport, Montana SV6
Saturn Relay
Volkswagen Cabriolet
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan (turbo)
Volkswagen Jetta Sedan (V6)
Volkswagen Touareg
Old 04-27-2008 | 11:35 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Just saw that this morning. Obviously, american POSs are the worst cars. Stick with Acura and Honda, they are the best.
Old 04-27-2008 | 11:43 AM
Instructor

I read this a few days back. Definitely glad to see Honda's and Acura's on there. Truth is, I wasn't surprised.
Old 04-27-2008 | 11:59 AM
Turd Polisher

Does not surprise me.
Old 04-27-2008 | 06:37 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Looks like good list to base your decision for a secondary commuter car.
Old 04-27-2008 | 06:43 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
Just saw that this morning. Obviously, american POSs are the worst cars. Stick with Acura and Honda, they are the best.
i have to disagree with the american part. while they arent the best cars, they will run long after japanese or German cars die i.e. my uncle still has a 1990 Pontiac 6000 STE that runs well, with only regular maintenance since new.
Old 04-27-2008 | 07:25 PM
Lazy Idiot

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
i have to disagree with the american part. while they arent the best cars, they will run long after japanese or German cars die i.e. my uncle still has a 1990 Pontiac 6000 STE that runs well, with only regular maintenance since new.
There we go, the reliability issue again. The truth is modern cars (with the exception of a few) can all be considered reliable.The main difference with the resale value is because of the overall quality and the desirability of the brand.
Old 04-27-2008 | 07:52 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by SQUEEZY83
Best of the best

These are models that have performed well in CR road tests over the years, and have proved to have several or more years of better-than-average reliability. Listed alphabetically.

Porsche 911 (except '03)
What was so bad about the 2003 911?
Old 04-28-2008 | 05:17 AM
soon to be, un-noobed

Originally Posted by ifirahse
What was so bad about the 2003 911?
i was wondering the same thing
Old 04-28-2008 | 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
Obviously, american POSs are the worst cars
Does that make the American designed, California, American built, Ohio, TL & TLS a POS?
Old 04-28-2008 | 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Guys....two things:

1) does anyone have a link to the entire article? I'd like to read it.

2) I'm glad I own an Acura TL Type S and it's great it's on the list. But I actually feel bad for American car manufacturers. I owned a 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible-red with a tan ragtop. It was a BEAUTIFUL car. I owned it for 10 years and it had 147,000 miles on it. I would have driven it forever, but I had a bad car accident 2 days before Christmas and it got totalled in the accident.

But I had a VERY good experience with my Sebring. And I felt it was a sexy looking car, especialy with the top down. So I have a soft spot in my heart for Chrysler. I have previously owned 2 Honda Accords (4 doors) and really liked both cars, so getting the TL was a natural and logical choice. Besides, if I couldn't have my Sebring, I felt like the TL was the best looking, affordable and the sportiest car on the road right now.
Old 04-28-2008 | 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

reliability is based on percentages. There could be single stories either way proving this and that, but they don't prove anything.

Not sure of the numbers, but any car you buy can probably run for 10 years for x% of the buyers. And that percentage is pretty high, way over 50, so please stop indicating these one-off stories.
Old 04-30-2008 | 06:46 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by blue.fired
There we go, the reliability issue again. The truth is modern cars (with the exception of a few) can all be considered reliable.The main difference with the resale value is because of the overall quality and the desirability of the brand.
reliablity is all in relative terms though, right? i mean, to some, reliability is getting to point A to point B, period. To others, reliability is ten years after the original purchase of the car, the heated seats still heat, the nav still works, and there are no rattles in the dash. its kind of hard to define it.
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:01 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
reliablity is all in relative terms though, right? i mean, to some, reliability is getting to point A to point B, period. To others, reliability is ten years after the original purchase of the car, the heated seats still heat, the nav still works, and there are no rattles in the dash. its kind of hard to define it.
YEp, that's true for the most part!!!!...except for the Rattle's I've been driving ACURAS/HONDA's for over 12 year's now ...if it doesn't Rattle ...it might not be a ACURA/HONDA !!
Old 04-30-2008 | 08:53 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys....two things:

1) does anyone have a link to the entire article? I'd like to read it.

2) I'm glad I own an Acura TL Type S and it's great it's on the list. But I actually feel bad for American car manufacturers. I owned a 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible-red with a tan ragtop. It was a BEAUTIFUL car. I owned it for 10 years and it had 147,000 miles on it. I would have driven it forever, but I had a bad car accident 2 days before Christmas and it got totalled in the accident.

But I had a VERY good experience with my Sebring. And I felt it was a sexy looking car, especialy with the top down. So I have a soft spot in my heart for Chrysler. I have previously owned 2 Honda Accords (4 doors) and really liked both cars, so getting the TL was a natural and logical choice. Besides, if I couldn't have my Sebring, I felt like the TL was the best looking, affordable and the sportiest car on the road right now.
Check out Consumer Reports Cars edition, it came out a few months ago, that is where that list is from. If you have a subscription you can view it online.

Oddly enough the more thorough list I read in CR also had all 97-03 Acura CL in there under the best list. I guess the 01-03 transmission issues didn't affect the CR's view as much as I'd think. Hell I'm on my third transmission.
Old 04-30-2008 | 11:48 PM
Racer

Not for nothing but most or the best are "cars" and the worst are "trucks". From my experience working at a chevy / mazda dealership, People just plain out beat the shit out of their chevys and dont want to put any money into them. But the people that own the mazdas will buy anything you tell them it needs. the gm cars may break a little more but are cheaper to fix than a mazda or any other foriegn car. Just another thing, ive never put an engine in a gm truck but i have in a mazda 3 and i watch the guys that work on the mazdas do at least 1 engine or transmission a week.