Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interest in a Schaeffer's Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Interest in a Schaeffer's Group Buy

Hi,
I'd like to know the demand of having a Schaeffer's Group Buy on this forum. The reason that I'm asking is that a $250 minimum purchase is required in order to obtain wholesale pricing and free shipping.

Schaeffer's is an excellent Group III Blend that is very well suited for extend intervals as recommended by an onboard computer determined service interval, as the one in the TL. Although its TBN starts out no higher than the average conventional oil, it has much better retention and contains a larger than average amount of synthetic than the average blend. Many analysis reports on the Bobistheoilguy (BITOG) forum have indicated that this oil can often last 5-7K.

In addition, their automatic transmission fluid is also an excellent fluid for the TL owners, since it is Honda Z-1 approved.

Schaeffer's oils fall behind compared to other oils because you must purchase at least $250 in order to obtain a good price. Their #704 Supreme 7000 5w-20 is $36.24 per case, and their 204SAT ATF is $52.50/case, which is an excellent bargain considering that their oil offers much of the same performance as Mobil 1, which is priced at least $1 higher. Their ATF is roughly the same price as Honda Z-1, but is of a better quality synthetic blend.

Remember, again, I'm not a vendor, I'm simply trying to put together a group buy. If we can get at least four people, each purchasing at least 2 cases each, we can obtain the wholesale pricing. We'd have to have the oil delivered to one person, then the other people participating in the group buy would have to pick up the oil from that persons home.

If we decide to proceed, the seller that I plan on going is most likely going to be Mark Smith, site sponsorer on BITOG. Astroboy is trying to contact Schaeffer's directly to see if we can bypass the "middleman," but we'd like to see the demand before we proceed.

Lastly, their website is www.schaefferoil.com

Michael
Old 05-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Michael:

1) 1st, not sure how submicronic filters reduce wear other than what Amsoil claims - I was taught that if no 2 particles dimensions are a significant fraction of the smallest tolerances, really small dirt particles can do no harm, as they just dance through the engine.

2) Schaeffer's makes some good products, but are they significantly better than what can be achieved with the "el cheapo" oils you and I favor, at the same drain intervals we are recommending? Let alone what those el cheapos + LC/FC can do. This seems to be a bit of a paradignm shift for you - I know you are always curious, but as there is seldomly much new "under the sun", not sure what trying to drum up interest in Schaeffer's will buy us, other than some new oil to play with at a decent price (no issue with that). But a lot of the folks here are clearly non-technically inclined, and unlikely to go with a "no name" product, even one with a long and respected history. They are more likely it seems to me to go with a hyoped up product like RP. Here, there seem to be 2 major the camps: the "whatever Honda uses" crowd, and the "Mobil (usually spelled Mobile) 1 has always worked for me and it is available at Wart-Mart" crew. The rest are crazies like us.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Unfortunately, the process of obtaining information is not as easy as you would like it.

You are not allowed to post here in order to obtain information for proceeding with the GB. What you must do is obtain a vendor, who decides on the products to be sold and the prices to be charged. He then contacts Astroboy by email at robb@acurazine.com.

If he is approved to become a vendor here, he can start a thread in the Sponsored Sales and Group Buys Forum, giving the details of his products and the prices and sizes sold.

At this time, one thread may be posted in this forum, but only to direct people to the Group Buy thread, where all discussion will take place. The thread in this forum will be a closed thread,

There can be no mention in this forum of any intention to form a group buy until the GB is approved and the vendor has paid his fees.

Any further questions may be directed at Astroboy by email or PM.

We applaud the efforts being put forth to form this Group Buy, but we also have to abide by the rules of the forum. If we are allowed any moyr leeway in these procedures, you will be informed immediately.re
Old 05-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
I have been reading about this oil, seems to be the best there is....any interest?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
HMFIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the "see what the oil gurus recommend" camp. I use the Ford 5W20 Blend in the motor, OEM filter and GMS-FM in the tranny . I love all the free testing and analysis we get. That way, I can just drive the stink out of the car.

Since my family of 2 drivers has 4 vehicles, they only get about 10,000 miles per year each. I don't need expensive oils to get 10 years out of my vehicles.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Licking Platters Clean

sorry michael, too much effort for not much gain. Sounds like Schaeffer's needs someone in their pathetic marketing dept to get a frigging clue. $250 to get a decent price? They must not want to sell their product very much. Amsoil minimum is $50 which is fair.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
If we can get at least four people, each purchasing at least 2 cases each, we can obtain the wholesale pricing. We'd have to have the oil delivered to one person, then the other people participating in the group buy would have to pick up the oil from that persons home.

Waaay to much work.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:02 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Michael:

1) 1st, not sure how submicronic filters reduce wear other than what Amsoil claims - I was taught that if no 2 particles dimensions are a significant fraction of the smallest tolerances, really small dirt particles can do no harm, as they just dance through the engine.

Well, I'll offer this. Although individual particles can easily pass through the oil film ..what would make one believe that they are in the center of the oil flow ..and not the margin? What happens to a 5um particle ..when your shear (the individual layers of sliding oil) are smaller than the particle in question. Does it disintegrate? Does it tumble around from one layer to another? If you look at a UOA using particle count, the upramp in the number of particles increases radically the smaller you go. The particles between 5um and 10um jump by a factor of around 6:1 over >10um particles per 100ml sample. Naturally some will be wear resultant ..others will be wear causing. Either way, less is better no matter how you measure it. Will it make your engine last longer? Probably not. Will watching your diet and stuff make you last longer? Maybe ..but most likely you'll live as long as your genetic predisposition dictates. What condition you're in when you croak can vary quite a bit. Virtually no engine dies from a lubrication related failure ..it's usually something catostophic (timing belt/chain/ destroyed piston/whatever) ..but it just doesn't spontaniously seize (typically). So you can have a perfectly healthy engine die in it's sleep ...or weezing like a bag pipe and begging to be put out of its misery.

2) Schaeffer's makes some good products, but are they significantly better than what can be achieved with the "el cheapo" oils you and I favor, at the same drain intervals we are recommending? Let alone what those el cheapos + LC/FC can do. This seems to be a bit of a paradignm shift for you - I know you are always curious, but as there is seldomly much new "under the sun", not sure what trying to drum up interest in Schaeffer's will buy us, other than some new oil to play with at a decent price (no issue with that). But a lot of the folks here are clearly non-technically inclined, and unlikely to go with a "no name" product, even one with a long and respected history. They are more likely it seems to me to go with a hyoped up product like RP. Here, there seem to be 2 major the camps: the "whatever Honda uses" crowd, and the "Mobil (usually spelled Mobile) 1 has always worked for me and it is available at Wart-Mart" crew. The rest are crazies like us.
Shaeffer oila are very good. Their only issue is distrbution. They aren't geared to individual consumer use. They have some blends and even dinos that rival full synths for results. Although there is not much new (nothing truly revolutionary) ..there are alternatives to common oil. Since they're out there ..and, if you really think about it, are no more or less important then the next "bling" item that people spend all kinds of cash on (think one pizza in cost difference or anything that you essentially throw money away on ..cell phone ..etc.) ..why not try them just for the experience? Now I haven't personally tried Shaeffer's ..but I have gone to all the trouble to track down the local SOPUS (Shell Oil US) to get a 5 gallon pail of Pennzoil LL HDEO in the 10w-30 weight ..just to see how I liked it in one of my older rides. Did the $35 kill me? No. Would I have stashed that $35 in a jar for my retirement? Not a chance. Will I be given any lower level of service out of it? No ..I'll probably realize superior service out of it (shrug).